ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt vs IU Gameday!

Tons of respect for Pitt from this Hoosier fan. Soccer is a cruel game and 1 goal against the run of play often is the difference. Pitt was the better team, but IU has found ways to win like that all tournament. No doubt your program will continue to grow and be a force in the ACC and nationally.

I enjoyed the chatting with some of you this week-all but 1 of you anyway. Thanks for allowing to hang out! Best wishes to all-even smf

Hopefully we can keep this going. It's been fun seeing vidovich transform this team. Best of luck in the finals. Just a killer though when your team never gets this far. Damn.

Petkovic in the 1st Half too. Dexter didnt play well. I dont understand why Mort played so much of the 2nd Half. Jacquesson is so good.
Felt like Petkovic’s 1h shot was a killer- on replay it’s a shot he buried 90% of the time . Goal keeper had no chance if he just puts it on the net.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Yea but I'd say soccer is a little more random since its lower scoring. But the sports are similar in a lot of ways
Demonstrates what I don’t like about soccer. Too much luck involved.
I get it. But all sports take luck. A bad foul that was called but wasn’t. An 89 yard run for a TD while the ref missed a hold. All of the bad luck last night was based on us not being clinical enough in our finishing. So it was our lack of execution.

yes last night was unlucky in a sense, but IU made the play to win and it was pure as hell. They made the play and we didn’t. What I don’t like about hockey is a large % of goals are deflections, caroms, or screens. Nothing cheap about IU’s winner.

Reactions: HOF Coach
I get it. But all sports take luck. A bad foul that was called but wasn’t. An 89 yard run for a TD while the ref missed a hold. All of the bad luck last night was based on us not being clinical enough in our finishing. So it was our lack of execution.

I'm with you. What happened last night wasn't Pitt being unlucky. It was Pitt not capitalizing on the chances they got, and Indiana burying that one good chance.

The football equivalent is a team getting in the red zone a bunch of times but settling for field goals losing to a team that didn't do as much on offense overall but when they got their chances they scored touchdowns. That's not luck.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I'm with you. What happened last night wasn't Pitt being unlucky. It was Pitt not capitalizing on the chances they got, and Indiana burying that one good chance.

The football equivalent is a team getting in the red zone a bunch of times but settling for field goals losing to a team that didn't do as much on offense overall but when they got their chances they scored touchdowns. That's not luck.
I remember feeling the same way with the Pirates when they were still good. There were games where we would put lots of runners on base, but couldn't get them in. At the same time, the other team wasn't getting many on base, but they ended up winning the game.

As Friday's game wore on, I was increasingly worried that this was one of those games, and so it was

I don't know. Im not sure there is a football equivalent. Maybe running up 500 yards of offense but fumbling inside the 10 6 times and then the other team comes down and makes a FG and wins 3-0 with 150 yards of offense.

Probably the best analogy is boxing/MMA. The one guy gets pummeled all game but never gets knocked out and then has that 1 punch in the last round to get the KO.

In the soccer sense, IU's win wasnt lucky. Soccer games can be won like they won it....and that was their game plan. But in sports in general, I'd say the win was pretty lucky. Any time a far inferior team gets badly outplayed but still wins can be considered lucky.

Pitt misses shot to upper right corner. IU buries shot in upper right corner. Wow.
Well, I guess PITTING did come into play. Pitt's best players had opportunities that they usually convert on, but this day didn't, at least that's what he announcers said.

Right because the team playing for that 1-0 team is always the inferior team. For IU, it worked tonight. That's soccer. IU sat back, didnt concede and beat a much much better team.
Greece won the European Cup in 2004 that way, just sit back and defend and hope you get lucky and score one goal.

Greece won the European Cup in 2004 that way, just sit back and defend and hope you get lucky and score one goal.
I was actually thinking that game reminded me so much of that Greece run. They won a European Championship despite being basically dominated every match

I was actually thinking that game reminded me so much of that Greece run. They won a European Championship despite being basically dominated every match
They won the three games in the knockout stage 1-0, 1-0, 1-0 and they beat Portugal twice, beat France, tied Spain and made 19 year old Renaldo cry :) I have a DVD of the original broadcast, that I paid for on pay per view, it's really funny for the entire pregame, game and postgame the Limey announcers mispronounce the Greek names, tell us how bad they suck, and how great Portugal is :) Greece didn't have the so called quality, other than quality defense.

I don't know. Im not sure there is a football equivalent. Maybe running up 500 yards of offense but fumbling inside the 10 6 times and then the other team comes down and makes a FG and wins 3-0 with 150 yards of offense.

I have no doubt that you are dumb enough to believe this.

That makes one of you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT