ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt vs. Miami Game Thread

No... it really isnt debatable.

You are losing, in the 4th quarter. You have a horrible offense and a great defense. 100 out of 100 times you kick the fg.

What possible reason would you have trying to get 2.5 yards on 4th down there??? Furthermore, we still woulda lost. So what is the point?

Uh they were at the one yard line. There are a lot of coaches who would have gone for it. Some have been successful and been praised for being aggressive. Some have not made it and have been criticized. It’s the nature of the game

Again it’s a very debatable call. Taking the stance on either side is pig headed

Todays game? When it was 4th and 2 at the 2 yard line down 10-9? Who the freak would go for a TD there with our offense? We cant run the Pitt special every week. If you are winning by 4 or something, then sure go for it, but we were losing, and could barely get 2 yards all game
Agree. Took the lead then got the ball back and the line couldn't get a push to get the first and throwing was a bad option because the WRs cannot catch. Then our punter got no leg into the ball and Miami had good field position. You'd like to see our senior corner not allow a TD, but he did.

Need to make bowl eligibility next week on the road.

Reactions: President Stache
As an aside the counter argument to trusting your defense is that if it’s so good and Miami’s is so bad you trust your defense to stop them at the 1 and be back in field position to kick the FG anyway.

I favor going for it but I can see kicking it

Reactions: BFo8
Uh they were at the one yard line. There are a lot of coaches who would have gone for it. Some have been successful and been praised for being aggressive. Some have not made it and have been criticized. It’s the nature of the game

Again it’s a very debatable call. Taking the stance on either side is pig headed

UHHHH.. no they were not. It was outside the 2 yard line.

Again, find any other case of a coach going for it in this scenario. I honestly dont understand the argument. There is no reason not to kick it, we have a good kicker.

Again, find any other case of a coach going for it in this scenario. I honestly dont understand the argument. There is no reason not to kick it, we have a good kicker.

Stop arguing, you are right. You aren’t going to change these peoples mind. They only disagree because they hate Narduzzi. There is no football reason to go for it there

Reactions: President Stache

Is that why the play by play says third and one and fourth and one?

Reactions: H2P 2003
Stop arguing, you are right. You aren’t going to change these peoples mind. They only disagree because they hate Narduzzi. There is no football reason to go for it there

geez. This stuff is so silly. I’m a fan of duzz but it’s fair to criticize or debate coaching decisions. It’s what fans do. It doesn’t mean you hate the guy

geez. This stuff is so silly. I’m a fan of duzz but it’s fair to criticize or debate coaching decisions. It’s what fans do. It doesn’t mean you hate the guy

but what’s the argument? You go for it and try to get three yards and if you don’t you are still losing 10-9? Why would a coach do that? Even if you get a td you are up 6. So what?

but what’s the argument? You go for it and try to get three yards and if you don’t you are still losing 10-9? Why would a coach do that? Even if you get a td you are up 6. So what?

three yards? That wasn’t 3 yards.

#1 - it wasn’t 3 yards or anything close to it, quit saying it

#2 - it would’ve been either a 5 or 7 point lead, not 6. Although with Narduzzi I guess you never know

#1 - it wasn’t 3 yards or anything close to it, quit saying it

#2 - it would’ve been either a 5 or 7 point lead, not 6. Although with Narduzzi I guess you never know

yeah but if you don’t get it is a really dumb thing to do. I wouldn’t care if it was from the one. It really doesn’t matter you always gk for the lead unless your kicker is hurt or you have earl campbell

It was more than 4th and a foot. It was more like 4th and 2. I believe at the time the FG was the right call. I had no confidence in the play calling or the execution. In my view, it was best to take the lead and rely on the defense to stop them. The defense is much better than the offense at this point.

it was one yard. Go back and look at the play by play

But here is the argument. Your defense is playing great and their O stinks. So even if you don’t make it you keep them in bad field position, they punt and you more than likely will at least be back in Field position again for another field goal. There is sound logic to going for it

It was more than 4th and a foot. It was more like 4th and 2. I believe at the time the FG was the right call. I had no confidence in the play calling or the execution. In my view, it was best to take the lead and rely on the defense to stop them. The defense is much better than the offense at this point.

No problem with that rationale at all, my issue is with people that think it’s ridiculous to even consider going for it there. There are arguments to be made both ways, analytics say it makes more sense to go for it, I think the Miami kicking situation makes it more debatable.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
No problem with that rationale at all, my issue is with people that think it’s ridiculous to even consider going for it there. There are arguments to be made both ways, analytics say it makes more sense to go for it, I think the Miami kicking situation makes it more debatable.

Agree 100%. I know a bunch of teams who would have went for it there. Worst case is we force their offense who did nothing the whole game until they had to go 70 yards to even attempt to score and best case they go three and out and we get the ball at the 40 you make a first down and still have your FG attempt. There was 8:30 left in the game so not like we weren’t getting the ball again. Fighting over where the ball was is laughable it was inside the 2 closer to the 1 so a yard and a half at most and we had ripped them that whole drive. You can have an opinion either way but to say there’s no one who goes for that is crazy. It happens every week.

I didn’t mind kicking the FGthere. I also see the validity of going for it. The idea that the only option was to go for it is ludicrous.

stache is simply a liar.

Reactions: SisadaPITT
Is that why the play by play says third and one and fourth and one?

I have no idea why, but even the official score
three yards? That wasn’t 3 yards.
Agree 100%. I know a bunch of teams who would have went for it there. Worst case is we force their offense who did nothing the whole game until they had to go 70 yards to even attempt to score and best case they go three and out and we get the ball at the 40 you make a first down and still have your FG attempt. There was 8:30 left in the game so not like we weren’t getting the ball again. Fighting over where the ball was is laughable it was inside the 2 closer to the 1 so a yard and a half at most and we had ripped them that whole drive. You can have an opinion either way but to say there’s no one who goes for that is crazy. It happens every week.

It is laughable. It was the 4th quarter. In the rest of the game, absolutely try it, as the expected point outcome (normally) is higher than the expected points outcome of a FG. However, with our pathetic offense, and worse, pathetic power run game, against a top defense, it would be foolish. Furthermore, they get the ball at the 2 say, and we stop them just as we did the next series, and what would happen? The same bad offense would have to get back into FG range to try to go ahead. Seriously, there is no reason to not kick there, there is no reason to believe we would make it and suddenly be better

I have no idea why, but even the official score

It is laughable. It was the 4th quarter. In the rest of the game, absolutely try it, as the expected point outcome (normally) is higher than the expected points outcome of a FG. However, with our pathetic offense, and worse, pathetic power run game, against a top defense, it would be foolish. Furthermore, they get the ball at the 2 say, and we stop them just as we did the next series, and what would happen? The same bad offense would have to get back into FG range to try to go ahead. Seriously, there is no reason to not kick there, there is no reason to believe we would make it and suddenly be better

It’s not laughable you expect your defense to make a stop against an anemic offense they punt from the end zone you get the ball at the 40-45 make 1 first down and your back in FG range. Did you see their offense March down the field all game no they had 2 short fields for 10 points but no way they drive 99 yards for a touchdown or even 75 for a FG attempt. I get it you feel it was the only choice I disagree but don’t act like your opinion is how everyone should think. If we were at the 3 like you were claiming I’d agree but the ball was just outside the one and we ripped them that whole drive so yes I think you trust your offense to finish off the drive from a yard out to make them score a TD to beat you. Had we gone up 6 I think we play much different defense that last drive. I also think the incredibly conservative play calling on a drive where you need just a few first downs and force them to burn all their TO’s cost us dearly. They made a change at QB and he came through hats off to them and their coach for trying something different.

Reactions: SisadaPITT
Todays game? When it was 4th and 2 at the 2 yard line down 10-9? Who the freak would go for a TD there with our offense? We cant run the Pitt special every week. If you are winning by 4 or something, then sure go for it, but we were losing, and could barely get 2 yards all game
I just looked at the replay. The ball was just inside the 1 yd line on 4th down.

I just looked at the replay. The ball was just inside the 1 yd line on 4th down.

It’s kind of amazing really, almost everyone that goes back and looks at where the ball was spotted seems to have a different answer. It’s the Pitt version of the Zapruder film.

My memory was pretty much what you said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT