ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt - WF (Game 1)

Watching the game, I was just thinking Myers isn’t missing any bats when the Wake Forest guy hit his second 2-run homer to make it 4-0. First HR to left scraped off the top of the wall. Second to right was a no-doubter.

Myers still isn’t missing many bats. They are making solid contact.

As far as the 100 mph pitches, I was watching a game earlier this year when Wake used six pitchers, all of whom were clocked at 96 mph or higher. The color commentator was very skeptical of those numbers, saying he thought the radar gun was juiced.

This home plate umpire has a very — to be charitable — expansive strike zone.

Honest question. If we lose out, do we make the tourney?

I can see us missing out very easily. Right now, we are a low second seed, as evidenced by the fact that they have us playing one of the top six first seeds. Remember that most of the third and fourth seeds are automatic qualifiers.

If we end the season on a 2-10 or 3-9 skid and lose early in the ACC tourney, I don’t think we get in. And, probably don’t deserve to.

We just aren’t that good. Kind’ve overachieved and got lucky in the beginning of the season and we’re somewhat coming back to earth. Doesn’t help that we’re playing a last place Wake Forest team... who might have as much pure talent as anyone in the conference. Just never a night off in the ACC.

Just need to find a way to get 2 wins in this series and prevent a total collapse that somehow keeps us out of the NCAAT and ruins our magical start.

Yeah would blow to have such a great season only to fall apart.
Should have gotten our players vaccinated. It was terrible mismanagement that these guys had to miss 10 days when they were rolling. They didn't have to jump any lines. Even in March, these clinics and pharmacies had to go door to door basically so vaccines didnt go to waste.

We probably need 1 more win to be "on the bubble." 2 more wins (including ACCT) and we're in. No way we get in if we lose out

Should have gotten our players vaccinated. It was terrible mismanagement that these guys had to miss 10 days when they were rolling. They didn't have to jump any lines. Even in March, these clinics and pharmacies had to go door to door basically so vaccines didnt go to waste.

We probably need 1 more win to be "on the bubble." 2 more wins (including ACCT) and we're in. No way we get in if we lose out

Dude. Can you just shut up about this already.

First of all, it’s like a 6-8 week process for someone to be “fully vaccinated” and therefore they would’ve had to start the process in early March when even if it was possible to get the shot if you knew the right website/people, it absolutely was not being marketed as open to anyone.

And second of all, what makes you think the whole team wants it? I wish everyone would get vaccinated too but the reality is a lot of people are holding off. Heck half of the MLB can’t even get to 85% vaccination rate even though that mark gives them tons of incentives. You think Pitt baseball, full of 18-23 year olds, is suddenly going to get 100% participation in early March?

Dude. Can you just shut up about this already.

First of all, it’s like a 6-8 week process for someone to be “fully vaccinated” and therefore they would’ve had to start the process in early March when even if it was possible to get the shot if you knew the right website/people, it absolutely was not being marketed as open to anyone.

And second of all, what makes you think the whole team wants it? I wish everyone would get vaccinated too but the reality is a lot of people are holding off. Heck half of the MLB can’t even get to 85% vaccination rate even though that mark gives them tons of incentives. You think Pitt baseball, full of 18-23 year olds, is suddenly going to get 100% participation in early March?
Many colleges are making it mandatory. If I'm a college coach, I'm making it mandatory. Cant afford to have a team's season screwed. Don't want it? That's fine, just transfer to a program that doesn't require it.

As I said, ANYONE could have gotten the vaccine in early March. ANYONE. All it took is some intern going on Facebook or calling around some pharmacies. Pitt Baseball failed BIG-TIME here and it may cost them an NCAA Tournament bid. If my whole family who doesn't fall in a risk tier could get vaccinated in March, I'm 100% certain that Pitt Baseball could have found some pharmacies to get their team vaccinated

Many colleges are making it mandatory. If I'm a college coach, I'm making it mandatory. Cant afford to have a team's season screwed. Don't want it? That's fine, just transfer to a program that doesn't require it.

As I said, ANYONE could have gotten the vaccine in early March. ANYONE. All it took is some intern going on Facebook or calling around some pharmacies. Pitt Baseball failed BIG-TIME here and it may cost them an NCAA Tournament bid. If my whole family who doesn't fall in a risk tier could get vaccinated in March, I'm 100% certain that Pitt Baseball could have found some pharmacies to get their team vaccinated

They didn’t “fail BIG-TIME”. They had some COVID cases in the middle of a pandemic. It happens.

That wasn’t what’s hurt them. It’s just not having that much talent (compared to rest of conference). They probably would have went and got swept by Louisville anyway.

Sure, it’d be nice if all athletes both college and pro were rushing to get the vaccine to help their teams. But that just hasn’t been the case. I haven’t heard of one college team who was forced to get the vaccine... acting like Pitt is just silly when they are just doing the same as everyone else is dumb.

Once again, you just live in your own fantasy world. It’s crazy.

They didn’t “fail BIG-TIME”. They had some COVID cases in the middle of a pandemic. It happens.

That wasn’t what’s hurt them. It’s just not having that much talent (compared to rest of conference). They probably would have went and got swept by Louisville anyway.

Sure, it’d be nice if all athletes both college and pro were rushing to get the vaccine to help their teams. But that just hasn’t been the case. I haven’t heard of one college team who was forced to get the vaccine... acting like Pitt is just silly when they are just doing the same as everyone else is dumb.

Once again, you just live in your own fantasy world. It’s crazy.
College baseball players living on a college campus should have been vaccinated since March. I am sorry but the fact that this team had a Covid shutdown in late April is a colossal failure. And by the way, I highly highly doubt there are any anti-vaxxers on the team. I'm sure all will eventually be vaccinated. The failure was not making appointments for these players in March at various pharmacies in and around Pittsburgh who were publicly offering the vaccine to anyone.

The bottom line is that pre-shutdown, we were in line for 1 of the 16 1 seeds while hosting. Now, we probably need to win 2 of the next 3 just to be absolutely sure we make the NCAA Tournament.

Team fell apart with disruption to who their core pitchers were and change at catcher.

Team fell apart with disruption to who their core pitchers were

Meyers and Gilbertson have been starting on Friday and Saturday all season. Hanson started on Sundays for the first seven conference weekends because Corcoran was hurt, and then when Corcoran was ready to pitch he started starting on Sundays. And of course it should be noted that Hanson's ERA this year is 6.60, so it's not like he was performing well as the Sunday starter when he was replaced in that role.

So what, exactly, was this disruption to who their core pitchers were?

Unlike people that like to use pitting too much and applied it to our soccer and volleyball team, which was not even close to pitting, if the baseball team couldn't even win 2 of their last 8 or 9 games to make the NCAA tourney and miss it, I would classify that as pitting.

Reactions: jctrack
Unlike people that like to use pitting too much and applied it to our soccer and volleyball team, which was not even close to pitting, if the baseball team couldn't even win 2 of their last 8 or 9 games to make the NCAA tourney and miss it, I would classify that as pitting.
Why does the term pitting need to be used at all? Why not call it 13-9’ing? That was one of the biggest choke jobs in all of college sports.

Why does the term pitting need to be used at all? Why not call it 13-9’ing? That was one of the biggest choke jobs in all of college sports.

tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT