ADVERTISEMENT

Placekicker

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
Does Pitt only have 2 options at this position?

if so, they need to explore some walk ons.

Can‘t allow this position to handicap an otherwise solid team.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
While more depth is certainly better, I have to believe that the coaching staff has confidence in Ben Sauls. I say this because typically they will recruit a kicker when the incumbent is a senior, meaning it’s a seamless transition from one to the next.

The fact that they recruited Sauls in 2020 while Kessman still had one more year, meaning they were willing to “burn” an extra scholarship on a kicker when they didn’t have to, makes me feel like they believe he was/is worth it.

While more depth is certainly better, I have to believe that the coaching staff has confidence in Ben Sauls. I say this because typically they will recruit a kicker when the incumbent is a senior, meaning it’s a seamless transition from one to the next.

The fact that they recruited Sauls in 2020 while Kessman still had one more year, meaning they were willing to “burn” an extra scholarship on a kicker when they didn’t have to, makes me feel like they believe he was/is worth it.
Troubled by the stat that Saul only attempted 5 field goals his senior year. Not much of a game sample to go by.

Does Pitt only have 2 options at this position?

if so, they need to explore some walk ons.

Can‘t allow this position to handicap an otherwise solid team.
How many options do you expect them to have? 2 kickers is a reasonable number.

Reactions: Celtsfan
How many options do you expect them to have? 2 kickers is a reasonable number.
One scholarship kicker and one walk on at this point in time is less than what we usually have at this point.

Which kicker wasn’t able to participate in the Spring game because he hurt his ankle some silly way like tripping over a Gatorade bucket?

Which kicker wasn’t able to participate in the Spring game because he hurt his ankle some silly way like tripping over a Gatorade bucket?
Sam Scarton, the walk on.

You need at least 2 walk ons. Insurance if someone gets hurt. Insurance if someone gets a better deal and leaves. Insurance if one wants to devote more time to his grades. Insurance if one steals someone’s car.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Does the walk on have a big leg? I thought Sauls was pretty solid from inside 42-43 but I didn't think his range was as far as Kessman could kick it

I am sure the staff is working on some walk on possibilities. I hope they noticed a missed Xtra point probably costed them the BC game last year.

Reactions: gary2
Does the walk on have a big leg? I thought Sauls was pretty solid from inside 42-43 but I didn't think his range was as far as Kessman could kick it
Not as big as Kessman, but good enough if he makes most of the shorter ones. He missed from 48 or 49 during the spring game but it had enough leg.

Kessman was really good from long range, but seemed to miss some costly short kicks over his career.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT