ADVERTISEMENT

Poor recruiting…..Dixon and Howland recruited better players…..

jgdPittfan

Scholarship
Nov 6, 2009
He won’t get NC or Duke type players so we’ll have to put up with it another year or two. Transfer portal may help l little

He won’t get NC or Duke type players so we’ll have to put up with it another year or two. Transfer portal may help l little
Water over the dam my friend. Since you brought it up, I will indulge. Most all of Howland and Dixon's players were solid recruits who were developed by the staff. Dixon's last class however, was inferior in every way to the kids Capel is bringing in. That said, regardless of talent, players improved the longer they were here under Jamie. I cannot say the same for Capel, only a select few actually got better.

Howland & Jamie had a system and developed guys. Literally everyone in the program got better the longer they were here. These guys would’ve made Gerald Drumgroole all conference by his final year

Not sure what Capels system is and no one outside of Justin Champagne has improved under him

Well, that's the thing. People act like Dixon did it will all 300+ ranked players, and it's just not true. Many of the guys were in that 75 - 130 range nationally, which is pretty respectable. The "no talent" narrative came from the fact that we often ran into an NBA-level guy in the tournament and got bounced.

I think a new coach could run circles around Capel as an x's and o's guy and still recruit at least good as him.

were solid recruits who were developed by the staff. That said, regardless of talent, players improved the longer they were here under Jamie. I cannot say the same for Capel, only a select few actually got better.
Who has actually improved under Capel ? IMO that’s the core issue Players don’t get better under this staff. IMO a guy like Jefress would be putting up 10 a game by now under JD

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
Here’s another example. How does a guy like G not have a fall away jumper or a jump hook or at least some low post moves. It’s like they don’t even work with these guys on drop step moves, up and under, fall away, turn around. Etc. Yeah he’s light in the seat but he seems to have some athletic ability and quickness. Yet he has zero back to the basket game. Same for Fede. Knowing how important an inside tackle presence is you would think they would be working on this relentlessly

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
Well, that's the thing. People act like Dixon did it will all 300+ ranked players, and it's just not true. Many of the guys were in that 75 - 130 range nationally, which is pretty respectable. The "no talent" narrative came from the fact that we often ran into an NBA-level guy in the tournament and got bounced.

I think a new coach could run circles around Capel as an x's and o's guy and still recruit at least good as him.
Which is where you have to be if you're Pitt. If you can grab a Meleek Thomas type because he's local, you do it. But your time needs to be spent on the 75-150 range, develop, commit NIL to those guys. Then sprinkle in transfer portal pieces. Has to be about half and half, then get a culture, maintain and retain.

I disagree. Capel has recruited freshmen as good or better than Dixon's. The difference is that its a new game now and these players don't stay. Most of these players would have been excellent in Year 3 or 4 in a Dixon system

Xavier Johnson
McGowens
Toney
Champagnie
Santos
GDG
Carrington
Lowe
Hugley
Payton

Even guys like Coulibaly, Collier, and Drumgoole would have been ok reserves as 4th and 5th year players.

The issue hasnt been freshman recruiting. The issue has been maybe TOO MUCH freshman recruiting. We need transfer. We need old men.

Who has actually improved under Capel ? IMO that’s the core issue Players don’t get better under this staff. IMO a guy like Jefress would be putting up 10 a game by now under JD

I believe this is true about Jeffress. Under Dixon, he would have improved and developed to that 10 ppg average.

Capel is a so-so recruiter, he's a lousy gameday x's and o's coach, he has no system, he is poor at preparation, and he can't develop players. Those are just objective observations. People can like or dislike Dixon. He's gone and it doesn't matter. But this is year 6 under Capel and we have not seen the program improve significantly since the first year of Stallings. In any other job, that is grounds for firing.

I disagree. Capel has recruited freshmen as good or better than Dixon's. The difference is that its a new game now and these players don't stay. Most of these players would have been excellent in Year 3 or 4 in a Dixon system

Xavier Johnson
McGowens
Toney
Champagnie
Santos
GDG
Carrington
Lowe
Hugley
Payton

Even guys like Coulibaly, Collier, and Drumgoole would have been ok reserves as 4th and 5th year players.

The issue hasnt been freshman recruiting. The issue has been maybe TOO MUCH freshman recruiting. We need transfer. We need old men.
But capel has recruited some great players at duke, much better than any that Dixon or other Pitt coaches have, as much as we would like Pitt to recruit like duke, Pitt is not duke

I think there is better talent than under Stallings. I don’t look at any of the top 6-7 guys individually and say “they don’t belong on an ACC team”.

we expected a little too much from the freshmen, stardom from Blake, and steps forward from the other returning guys.

But despite not really getting that, the team SHOULD be better given some decent individual parts. Not sure why he can’t get at least a consistently competitive team clicking.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
I think there is better talent than under Stallings. I don’t look at any of the top 6-7 guys individually and say “they don’t belong on an ACC team”.

we expected a little too much from the freshmen, stardom from Blake, and steps forward from the other returning guys.

But despite not really getting that, the team SHOULD be better given some decent individual parts. Not sure why he can’t get at least a consistently competitive team clicking.

If Bub and Lowe are here 4 years, and I know they wont be, we are an NCAAT team in years 3 and 4. They will be excellent veteran guards. All-ACC. As freshmen, they probably arent in the Top 20 of ACC guards. As juniors and seniors, they'd be Isaiah Wong and Nigel Pack.

Capel should use the portal for recruits almost exclusively. For example, Nelly was a proven vet when he came to Pitt. It seems like Capel's freshmen recuits do not improve once they get here I could be wrong, but have any of Capel's freshmen recruits ever improved significantly. There must be a couple, but they would be the exceptions. Capel doesn't seem to develop players. He seems to send them out there to take good shots and hope for the best. That's not a strategy that will work at Pitt. At Pitt, the staff has to develop its players. Ain't happening here. Capel may be a grear coach, but he's not a fit at Pitt.

If Bub and Lowe are here 4 years, and I know they wont be, we are an NCAAT team in years 3 and 4. They will be excellent veteran guards. All-ACC. As freshmen, they probably arent in the Top 20 of ACC guards. As juniors and seniors, they'd be Isaiah Wong and Nigel Pack.
bub reminds me of Xavier Johnson, everyone thought Johnson was one and done to nba, now everyone thinks bub is gone after one or two years, right now I don’t see it

bub reminds me of Xavier Johnson, everyone thought Johnson was one and done to nba, now everyone thinks bub is gone after one or two years, right now I don’t see it
You may pick one. One was XJ and one is Bub. These are their OOC freshman performances.

13G 27min 5/10.76 .46%

20/47 3pt .425

63/74 FT .85

3.69 rebounds per game

5 assists per game

1.15 steals per game

3.38 TO

12G 31.9 min 5/11.83. .42

24/78 3pt .31

22/28 FT .79

4.83 rebounds per game

5.25 assists per game