ADVERTISEMENT

Portal Recruiting Thread and Roster building

Well, this thread is about players we might get via the portal, so where they come from is highly relevant.

My point is that folks listing every player from a P4 school that enters the portal as possible targets are mostly fooling themselves, because those players generally don't come here. Our staff tends to recruit players from smaller programs that have out-played that level and are possibly ready to jump up to P4 level.

This has nothing to do with how good those players may or may not be once the get here, the discussion is which portal players are targets for Pitt...and the evidence says it's mostly relatively unknown players from small schools.
OP listed seven players and two were from mid-majors. I'm still not following your logic.

The season is over. Its time to move on and stop complaining about why we are out and instead focus on improving the team and where we are next year.

Here's where we stand

Pg-Lowe
Sg-Carrington, Cummings
Sf- Austin, Barnes
Pf- Guillermo, Jorge
C-Kante

6th man do it all- Leggett

Ill adjust this if someone leaves like Bub to the NBA.

Players that are up in the air / should consider moving on

Jeffress
Fede

So looking at this, we have 5 of our top 6 scorers back from a fringe NCAA Tournament team.

3 point shooting from our top 5 returning scorers

Lowe- 35%
Carrington- 32%
Leggett- 34%
Austin-29%
Guillermo- 41%

3 point shooting in ACC Conference play last year

Lowe-41%
Carrington 31%
Leggett- 37%
Austin 34%
Guillermo 38%

5 returning players with at least 106+ ORTG offensive power rating. 2 projected immediate impact players that should be over 100+ ORTG next year in Kante and Cummings. We are on really solid ground right now with this nucleus of players.

Biggest Weakness - Interior Defense / Rebounding

3 ships available, 2 less if Jeffress and Fede return.

Priority #1

Center, Center, and Center. We have to get a center that can actually rebound the basketball and someone that can play defense. I expect an immediate impact from Kante, but lets not turn this into another argument thread over whether Kante is ready or not. We need a quality center besides him.

Priority #2

Wing / Forward, someone that can shoot the 3 ball at a high level. Man,if we could get Nate Santos back.

Priority #3

Another Guard / Point Guard. Lowe was a major reason this season turned around. We cant short change ourselves with guard depth, although its going to be tough getting someone with our current guard rotation unless we can get Carrington to play some 3 and some point forward, which I would love more than anything. I think a Lowe / Cummings / Carrington trio can be extremely dangerous on offense next year.

Priority #4

A capable power forward that can rebound / play defense / shot block. If Guillermo is going to play both positions next year at the 4 and 5 depending on who we get in the portal, we need another Mo Gueye type somewhere. And I think Ndiaye is going to redshirt and is not ready.

Some Early players worth looking at in the portal. And obviously, some of these guys are going to have high interest from big players.

Brandon Garrison, 6'11 center transfer from Oklahoma State

Michael Ajayi, 6'7 wing forward that can shoot and really rebound the ball

Keyon Menifield- 6'1 guard transfer from Arkansas, previously Washington

Kanaan Carlyle- 6'3 guard, Stanford

Nate Santos, 6'7 wing forward, (if he even decides to transfer I want him back)

Andrej Stojakovich, 6'7 wing, Stanford

Amari Williams- 6'10 5th year senior center, Drexel, 3 time defensive player of the year
I’ll say it a little less harsh than BBinsider, I found it hard to take your post commentary seriously after seeing you put Kante in the starting lineup and shipping Fede out the door. And that’s with my acknowledgement that we do need to drastically improve over Fede.

I’d also question rebounding needing to be the improvement from that position. While we could use more rebounding from that position, seems as a team we did pretty well at rebounding at both ends. Post defense is the biggest needed improvement, some inside presence that doesn’t so easily get backed down to the basket. Any amount of post offense is an added bonus.

OP listed seven players and two were from mid-majors. I'm still not following your logic.
The five players NOT from mid-majors are not coming to Pitt. That's 5/7th of the list that is not very realistic.

The two mid-major players listed also aren't coming here because one has already been here and the other is an 'in demand' mid-major player (40+ suitors) and we don't get those either.

Austin cant be the starter. He is a depth piece.

PG - Lowe
Wing - Leggett
Wing - Need a good portal dude
4 - Portal dude
5 - GDG/Fede/Kante/Portal Dude

Bench
Cummings
Austin
Portal
Jorge

Wont play much or RS
Ndiaye
Barnes

Is Kante even a Center? BballinsiderfromPitt brings up some interesting points. His highlight videos show him as a perimeter player. Perhaps he could start as the "3 and a half" for Hinson? I don't know.

Yes, he is. He can also play the 4. This is supposed to be a portal thread

Pitt started conference play 1-5 with that poor center play, but also finished the regular season 12-4 with that poor center play, it was not a big enough factor that prevented us from turning our season around. Pitt lost games because of poor shooting nights on offense, adding wing scoring depth would help alleviate cold scoring games from a few players. An upgrade over Fede would be great, but I don't think it's in budget or very realistic (at least as a priority), good centers come at a premium. Much rather spend money on some shooters from the 3/4 and another guard if Bub leaves.
So you're goal is getting back to this year?

As we've seen first hand with Lowe, Bub, Burton, Foster, McCain and George guards can make an impact a lot quicker as Freshmen than bigs. Cummings is going to be special for us.

If we want to be better, imo, our priority needs to be adding some beef/defense inside.

The five players NOT from mid-majors are not coming to Pitt. That's 5/7th of the list that is not very realistic.

The two mid-major players listed also aren't coming here because one has already been here and the other is an 'in demand' mid-major player (40+ suitors) and we don't get those either.
We have pulled players from P5 before, you know this. Why can't we do it again?

You seem very certain. I'm curious do you known something we don't?

I’ll say it a little less harsh than BBinsider, I found it hard to take your post commentary seriously after seeing you put Kante in the starting lineup and shipping Fede out the door. And that’s with my acknowledgement that we do need to drastically improve over Fede.

I’d also question rebounding needing to be the improvement from that position. While we could use more rebounding from that position, seems as a team we did pretty well at rebounding at both ends. Post defense is the biggest needed improvement, some inside presence that doesn’t so easily get backed down to the basket. Any amount of post offense is an added bonus.

This is supposed to be a portal thread.

But since you guys want to bring up useless stats about starts.

Terrell Brown started 45 games at Pitt in the ACC. And Karim Coulibaly put Brown's lazy ass on the bench as a senior and Coulibaly took over the starting job as a sophomore when Brown was a senior.

And I literally told this board Brown was going to the bench as a senior. And he did.

Fede has nothing locked up next year in terms of a starting position. Nothing. He was on a different planet half of this season and no one knew what the hell happened to him this year.

The DR rebound rate from our centers this year is rock bottom level at the power 6. If you include Blake Hinson, who is one of the worst rebounding power forwards in the Power 6, the only thing that saved us this year was the dominance of the guard rebounding, primarily Bub and Leggett.

This is supposed to be a portal thread.

But since you guys want to bring up useless stats about starts.

Terrell Brown started 45 games at Pitt in the ACC. And Karim Coulibaly put Brown's lazy ass on the bench as a senior and Coulibaly took over the starting job as a sophomore when Brown was a senior.

Fede has nothing locked up next year in terms of a starting position. Nothing. He was on a different planet half of this season and no one knew what the hell happened to him this year.

And I literally told this board Brown was going to the bench as a senior. And he did.

The DR rebound rate from our centers this year is rock bottom level at the power 6. If you include Blake Hinson, who is one of the worst rebounding power forwards in the Power 6, the only thing that saved us this year was the dominance of the guard rebounding, primarily Bub and Leggett.
Yep, good and useful idea starting it as a portal thread. Not looking to sidetrack that but I guess it was too hard to not comment on what I thought was a very bad projection.

So you're goal is getting back to this year?

As we've seen first hand with Lowe, Bub, Burton, Foster, McCain and George guards can make an impact a lot quicker as Freshmen than bigs. Cummings is going to be special for us.

If we want to be better, imo, our priority needs to be adding some beef/defense inside.
Getting back to how they played at the end of this season is 100% a good goal. If they played like that the whole year we likely beat most of Missouri, Syracuse twice, Miami, Clemson and possibly Florida. Pitt would've been a top 25 team and a single digit tournament seed. We finished the season as one of the 25 best teams in the country IMO. Adding a few more shooters would help this team improve on it from this past season. If we had one or two more scoring guys to make up for Blake/Ish/Lowe/Bub going cold in some of the losses we likely finish even better then 12-4.

Yep, good and useful idea starting it as a portal thread. Not looking to sidetrack that but I guess it was too hard to not comment on what I thought was a very bad projection.

Ok, thats great. I know what Papa Kante brings to the table just like I knew what Dior, Lowe, and Carrington brought to the table.

The only curveball here is the injury.

If you want to have your own opinion or listen to bballinsiders drivel, thats on you.

Ok, thats great. I know what Papa Kante brings to the table just like I knew what Dior, Lowe, and Carrington brought to the table.

The only curveball here is the injury.

If you want to have your own opinion or listen to bballinsiders drivel, thats on you.
Dude you're like 2 for 1000 on your predictions of players. I went back to your 2020 class predictions earlier and laughed and laughed.

You knew what Dior brought to the table? What is that exactly? A black eye for a girl and the program?

A first hand account of what I said? Did Jeff say he liked Keith? When? And did they play the city game? If not, why not?
When people say they are good friends, most would believe that the friendship went both ways. You apparently are among the exceptions and believe internet rumors over first-hand accounts.

Reactions: buckage
Pitt has contacted Brandon Johnson, 6'8 forward from East Carolina. Made 65 three balls last year at 36% and strong on the glass. He's from Raleigh.

Hrmm, none of it matters, the days of Pitt getting into the NCAA tourney are over. Wrong team in the wrong conference.

But anyways, I'll play along. I don't know much about any of those players you listed besides Santos. That being said, I see they are from Arkansas, Stanford, OSU, etc...all "Power" conferences. But we tend to get our transfers from places like Delaware, High Point, and Rhode Island. So, I guess none of the names you mentioned would be coming here. Maybe the Drexel guy but could even he be out of our price range?

Unfortunately, I don't watch enough mid-major and small time basketball to have better suggestions as alternatives. But since you seem to know more players, I'd suggest looking at guys from much smaller programs than Arkansas, Stanford, OSU, etc
What???

We were in last year and missed this year only to 5 stolen bids where essentially everything had to go wrong with bizarre team’s winning their championships?

That’s not happening every year.

Austin cant be the starter. He is a depth piece.

PG - Lowe (1)
Wing - Leggett (2)
Wing - Need a good portal dude (3)
4 - Portal dude (4)
5 - GDG (5)/Fede (6)/Kante (7)/Portal Dude (8)

Bench
Cummings (9)
Austin (10)
Portal (11)
Jorge (12)

Wont play much or RS
Ndiaye (13)
Barnes (14)

Is Kante even a Center? BballinsiderfromPitt brings up some interesting points. His highlight videos show him as a perimeter player. Perhaps he could start as the "3 and a half" for Hinson? I don't know.

Why can nobody in this thread count to 13?

LOL. You believe internet rumors. Quite the "insider".
You are wearing a tin foil hat and thinking a reporter who no longer covers Pitt is making up a rumor about the coach he used to cover not liking another coach. What do you think is more likely? Capel doesn't like Keith. Or Craig Meyer is randomly making up a story. Cmon man. This isn't hard.

What???

We were in last year and missed this year only to 5 stolen bids where essentially everything had to go wrong with bizarre team’s winning their championships?

That’s not happening every year.
Everything changed this season with CBS, who pays billions for the NCAA tourney, also now being heavily invested in the Big Ten, Big 12, and SEC...with no investment in the ACC. The ACC will be 4-5 bid league MAX from now on.

Going forward, to get selected, Pitt will either have to win the ACCT outright or finish Top 2 in ACC regular season AND make ACC-CG. The evidence is right in front of us: Pitt went 22-11, 12-8 finished Top 4 in both ACC regular season & ACCT and didn't get selected. In fact, there were still 3 teams in front of them.

Do you think a Big Ten, Big 12, or SEC team that went 22-11/12-8 and finished top 4 in both regular season and conference tournament would be left out?

And don't mention non-con SOS....TCU had similar non-con SOS and were safely in the field with the same overall record and worse conference record, finishing 7th in conference standings. Miss St was 8-10 in conference and got selected, Michigan State 19-14 and gets in....what do these teams have in common? They are the right teams in the right conferences.

I don't think there is any way you can bring Fede back next season. He's just the odd man out, because GDG offers you some versatility.

That said, I'm sure as hell not penciling Kante in as the starter. Can you imagine him defending Bacot in that last game? He's skinny, short, coming off an injury, and inexperienced. Our starting 5 better come from the portal or we're in trouble. Need about 25 minutes/game, and it would be fantastic if we could find someone who could get a feed inside and put it in the hoop, as opposed to inexplicably dribbling it. A post game would be nice, but now I'm just talking about mermaids and unicorns, I think.

You are wearing a tin foil hat and thinking a reporter who no longer covers Pitt is making up a rumor about the coach he used to cover not liking another coach. What do you think is more likely? Capel doesn't like Keith. Or Craig Meyer is randomly making up a story. Cmon man. This isn't hard.
The tin foil hat is firmly on your head. Again, reporters are second-hand. Dambrot's quote is first-hand. You choose the internet rumor. I choose the party directly involved.

Btw, Pitt did offer to play Duquesne but only at Pitt. Duquesne turned it down.

The tin foil hat is firmly on your head. Again, reporters are second-hand. Dambrot's quote is first-hand. You choose the internet rumor. I choose the party directly involved.

Btw, Pitt did offer to play Duquesne but only at Pitt. Duquesne turned it down.
Not true on the last part. Keith offered every year to play at Pitt. And again, I am not saying Keith hates him. Everyone knows it's the other way around. You really cannot read. And you're dead wrong. Back on ignore you go.

Not true on the last part. Keith offered every year to play at Pitt. And again, I am not saying Keith hates him. Everyone knows it's the other way around. You really cannot read. And you're dead wrong. Back on ignore you go.
I guess you only believe some reporters. From the Trib:

"Pitt athletic director Heather Lyke issued a statement later Thursday, saying she has offered a contract to play the game at the Pete during the 2021-22 season.

Harper said Duquesne is “considering” that offer."

From PSN:

"Dambrot also added that Pitt is ok with playing against Duquesne, but the issue is that it would have to be at the Petersen Events Center.

“Just to be clear, everybody at Robert Morris, at Pitt, and Duquesne have to do what is in the best interest at their program,” said Dambrot."

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I want Brandon Johnson. Dug deeper into his stats, watched some tape, he would be an outstanding fit here. Has some post up ability, good enough 3 point shooter, great on the glass, has been on the deans list and all academic list multiple times, and looks like a great teammate. Does almost all of his damage either in the interior or from 3, respectable foul shooter.

I dont like seeing Arkansas and Miami on his school list, but we have a wide open 4 slot for him to slide right into.

He also looks like an acc player and always steps up against the better teams on the schedule.

I hope we get a visit.

A few interesting things

Colby Giacubeno, scout insider in the midatlantic region and covers Maryland, thinks Meleek Thomas has the best fit in college overall by staying home at Pitt. He also said there is a good chance Pitt gets him

Also

Jon Beagle is now in the portal. Beagle was the previous American East freshmen of the year and a player Capel was kicking the tires with in recruiting in the EYBL before he chose Albany. He is coming off a 13ppg, 10 rebound per game, 2 assist per game season and shot 60% from the field. 6'10 240lb center from Hudson Falls, New York.

A few interesting things

Colby Giacubeno, scout insider in the midatlantic region and covers Maryland, thinks Meleek Thomas has the best fit in college overall by staying home at Pitt. He also said there is a good chance Pitt gets him

Also

Jon Beagle is now in the portal. Beagle was the previous American East freshmen of the year and a player Capel was kicking the tires with in recruiting in the EYBL before he chose Albany. He is coming off a 13ppg, 10 rebound per game, 2 assist per game season and shot 60% from the field. 6'10 240lb center from Hudson Falls, New York.
Beagle > Fede? Would he pair well with GDG at the 4? I think so.

Hopefully Pitt’s name starts appearing more on these portal guys’ lists. They have guys on staff who only monitor the portal.

I don't think there is any way you can bring Fede back next season. He's just the odd man out, because GDG offers you some versatility.

That said, I'm sure as hell not penciling Kante in as the starter. Can you imagine him defending Bacot in that last game? He's skinny, short, coming off an injury, and inexperienced. Our starting 5 better come from the portal or we're in trouble. Need about 25 minutes/game, and it would be fantastic if we could find someone who could get a feed inside and put it in the hoop, as opposed to inexplicably dribbling it. A post game would be nice, but now I'm just talking about mermaids and unicorns, I think.
Kante has a 7'4" wing span and bulked up to 245+.

He may struggle because his skills are raw. He has no post game at all like young players these days. But he won't be undersized.

Reactions: singregardless
Kante has a 7'4" wing span and bulked up to 245+.

He may struggle because his skills are raw. He has no post game at all like young players these days. But he won't be undersized.

I was told Kante was pushing a legit 250+ lbs and really bulked up in the upper body.

After seeing how big and broad his shoulders, back, and traps are in comparison to all the other players on our entire roster standing right next to him in this video when you freeze it, I believe it. Kante is to Adama Sanogo as Guillermo is to Chet Holmgren. Kante is huge in the upper body in comparison to these guys and Guillermo is a smurf in comparison to him. People are going to find out real soon that he plays hard and he plays physical.

Syracuse loses two to the portal in Copeland and Taylor.

Miami lost three including nwoko

Nc state a tourney team loses a guard. Assume he won’t be playing in the first round

Monsanto leaves wake

Nc state a tourney team loses a guard. Assume he won’t be playing in the first round

Monsanto leaves wake

Syracuse has lost 3 and still counting. Benny Williams is gone and Mintz has 1 and 1/2 feet out the door.

Everything changed this season with CBS, who pays billions for the NCAA tourney, also now being heavily invested in the Big Ten, Big 12, and SEC...with no investment in the ACC. The ACC will be 4-5 bid league MAX from now on.

Going forward, to get selected, Pitt will either have to win the ACCT outright or finish Top 2 in ACC regular season AND make ACC-CG. The evidence is right in front of us: Pitt went 22-11, 12-8 finished Top 4 in both ACC regular season & ACCT and didn't get selected. In fact, there were still 3 teams in front of them.

Do you think a Big Ten, Big 12, or SEC team that went 22-11/12-8 and finished top 4 in both regular season and conference tournament would be left out?

And don't mention non-con SOS....TCU had similar non-con SOS and were safely in the field with the same overall record and worse conference record, finishing 7th in conference standings. Miss St was 8-10 in conference and got selected, Michigan State 19-14 and gets in....what do these teams have in common? They are the right teams in the right conferences.

This is a very important point. If trash leagues like the Sec and the little 11 are thought of as better than the acc, the world is upside down.

Monsanto leaves wake

Not sure we have a chance at these guys but I love Monsanto as a bench shooter. Elite shooter but cant do anything else. Copeland would be a good get.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT