ADVERTISEMENT

Ps. After looking at that crowd tonight, it made a typical Pitt game..

I heard a ton of "Let's go Pitt" on the TV broadcast which was an awesome feeling.

But yeah, watch almost any ACC game - GT, Duke, BC, and especially Miami - and they all have the same empty seats that we do. Pat Fitzgerald has openly called out Northwestern students for not going to games. Attendance in the high 30s to low 40s is not unique to Pitt, we just play in a much larger stadium so it makes the failure to fill it look more pronounced.

I also heard the "Let's go Pitt" chants multiple times. Duke has feasted on bad teams to go 3-1, AND this was a prime time game.... yet there were still only about as many people there as a church on a Tuesday morning. Duke has less attendance than us to begin with, so it's an apples to oranges comparison to some extent, but I think a lot of people just plain stop going to college football games once there is any sort of chill in the air, unless it's either a marquee team, a marquee opponent, or a game that means something in the very immediate future.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
the crowd at duke looked ridiculous on tv. 22k sounds like an exaggeration to be honest, unless a lot of people showed up later.

Small school, small market, private school which does not "represent" any geographic area. 2 big state schools literally down the street. Nobody has it as tough as Duke when it comes to selling tickets.

Small school, small market, private school which does not "represent" any geographic area. 2 big state schools literally down the street. Nobody has it as tough as Duke when it comes to selling tickets.

Yet they'd manage to get 40,000 into that stadium if a basketball court was set up in the middle of it and they were playing a scrimmage against themselves.

If we're just keeping it in the ACC, Wake Forest isn't exactly in the "advantaged" category, either. They're half the size of even Duke. Look at their visiting sideline on any given week, and it's almost always completely comprised of the visiting team's colors.

If we're just keeping it in the ACC, Wake Forest isn't exactly in the "advantaged" category, either. They're half the size of even Duke. Look at their visiting sideline on any given week, and it's almost always completely comprised of the visiting team's colors.

Right but at least they sort of represent a medium sized city.

I don't think thats true. If Duke had an NBA-sized arena, I dont think they'd sell out every game. Their fanbase in the Durham area isnt as large as UNC and NC State. What helps them is they have a national fanbase.

I heard a ton of "Let's go Pitt" on the TV broadcast which was an awesome feeling.

But yeah, watch almost any ACC game - GT, Duke, BC, and especially Miami - and they all have the same empty seats that we do. Pat Fitzgerald has openly called out Northwestern students for not going to games. Attendance in the high 30s to low 40s is not unique to Pitt, we just play in a much larger stadium so it makes the failure to fill it look more pronounced.

if the Duke stadium was plucked down in Oakland where the VA stands now, it would have been packed and rollicking for a Saturday night showdown with Duke and no one would say a word about our support. The optics of Heinz are terrible and makes our support look to be the same or worse than Miami, Duke, WF, Cuse, when in fact it is probably better.

the crowd looked like a pitt game in mid 90's, yet pitt fans will make excuses.. 22k (huge exaggeration) for an 8pm Saturday game is beyond pathetic but yeah, they have bleachers and you cant see their seats from space like Heinz so no one notices..

Reactions: RingDinger
the crowd looked like a pitt game in mid 90's, yet pitt fans will make excuses.. 22k (huge exaggeration) for an 8pm Saturday game is beyond pathetic but yeah, they have bleachers and you cant see their seats from space like Heinz so no one notices..

Why?

Small school
No football tradition
Team not that good
2 big state schools down the street

If they really had 22K there, that is remarkable to me.

And 42K for a Pitt game is darn good.

A Pitt fan's oversensitivity to attendance is rooted in two things: the goofy yellow seats and what PSU fans have to say about it.

Pitt should change the optics by have yellow outs now that we got rid of the vegas gold. We can camouflage and no one would know.

A Pitt fan's oversensitivity to attendance is rooted in two things: the goofy yellow seats and what PSU fans have to say about it.
DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DIND DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING DING

Reactions: pittdan77
The way Pitt has treated the football fan past 35 years, lucky to have what they do each week!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT