ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting: Wannstedt vs Narduzzi

No it's not. Somewhere in your logic you're assuming Pitt fans are silly for expecting the team to beat schools they should always beat. Wanny played in a weak conference and couldn't win it outright. The ACC is a little more difficult and there's an expectation to win the Coastal so OOC games shouldn't be a reach against lesser competition.
NOthing in my post suggested anything other than there is a faction of Pitt fans that like to put down a 9 or 10 win season. Make it about whoever you want, I could care less, but it's still a fact. I'm not comparing anything other than dumbass comments which a lot of Pitt fans make. Me, I'll take 9 or 10 wins no matter who the competition

NOthing in my post suggested anything other than there is a faction of Pitt fans that like to put down a 9 or 10 win season. Make it about whoever you want, I could care less, but it's still a fact. I'm not comparing anything other than dumbass comments which a lot of Pitt fans make. Me, I'll take 9 or 10 wins no matter who the competition
Is it okay to put down 3 non- winning seasons and a 7-5 season during the other 3 against weak schedules?

Reactions: H2P 2003

Then I must have misread what you said badly because I would love to rattle off those kinds of seasons too. I apologize.

Can you think of a modern Pitt HC that truly loved Pitt more than Wanny?

Other than his game day coaching, Wanny checked a lot of boxes.
- Grew up here so knows the region, the people, etc.
- Went to Pitt
- Won a national championship while on Pitt's coaching staff as a GA
- Won a Super Bowl as an assistant coach
- Was a head coach in the NFL

And Wanny is a good salesman and very likable. His love of Pitt comes through as sincere and when you love and believe in the product you are selling, it shows. He would have been a lifer at Pitt.

And all of the above is not a knock on Narduzzi, or the job Narduzzi has done this year, and he's a better game day coach than Wanny, but he's not the recruiter Wanny was.
"Other than his game day coaching".

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Reactions: H2P 2003
Is it okay to put down 3 non- winning seasons and a 7-5 season during the other 3 against weak schedules?

Of Course...I'll repeat it, again - this isn't about if anyone is a good coach. It's about trashing 9 and 10 win seasons after the fact because of the competition when people are conversely bashing the schedule this year because it was "too hard"

There isn’t trashing.
It’s important context.
That in those 9 or 10 win seasons we ended up in third place in conference and playing in El Paso and Charlotte against middle p5 opponents - speaks to that.

There isn’t trashing.
It’s important context.
That in those 9 or 10 win seasons we ended up in third place in conference and playing in El Paso and Charlotte against middle p5 opponents - speaks to that.
You are just completely missing my point - maybe it's the way I'm explaining it...who knows, but you're completely off base on what I'm saying

You are just completely missing my point - maybe it's the way I'm explaining it...who knows, but you're completely off base on what I'm saying
Your said people are trashing those seasons.
I disagree, and explained why the context of those seasons-
Demonstrate the paper champions (but third place in reality) quality of them.
We played bad teams and mostly won (bgsu) and lost to the best teams we played .

Those aren’t seasons to pine over

We played bad teams and mostly won (bgsu) and lost to the best teams we played .

People are and do trash those seasons because of the quality of wins. I couldn't disagree more. Put it this way - I'll take ANY 9 or 10 win season and brag about it, no matter the competition. Until it starts happening here with some regularity, it's historical - because they were. Something that doesn't happen in decades?!? C'mon man. Not talking about paper championships. The horrible losses. Whether coach x is a good coach. None of that.

I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong either...BUT, from my point of view, I just cannot see the logic in trashing any 9 or 10 win season. Using your logic, could it have been an even "better" season with a great coach instead - maybe, but still...9/10 just doesn't happen here anymore

People are and do trash those seasons because of the quality of wins. I couldn't disagree more. Put it this way - I'll take ANY 9 or 10 win season and brag about it, no matter the competition. Until it starts happening here with some regularity, it's historical - because they were. Something that doesn't happen in decades?!? C'mon man. Not talking about paper championships. The horrible losses. Whether coach x is a good coach. None of that.
And if you brag about finishing third in a watered down big east-
That’s fine.
It’s setting a ridiculously low bar .
But plenty of people will disagree with your opinion.

The context of those seasons matter- even if you chose to ignore it

Put it this way, and I am someone that really was tough on narduzzi...narduzzi’s accomplishments already completely blown away dave’s.

That’s fine.

You're changing the topic...I didn't brag on the conference finish in this thread....ever. I'm simply saying - again - anyone that wants to minimize a 9 or 10 win season is a jacktard, especially at Pitt where it happens every few decades.

If you're not happy with a 9 or 10 win season...dude, you're never going to be happy as a Pitt fan. Go root for a blue blood like Bama, because those are the only schools it consistently happens at.

Go ahead - change the rules, but that's all I'm saying here

You're changing the topic...I didn't brag on the conference finish in this thread....ever. I'm simply saying - again - anyone that wants to minimize a 9 or 10 win season is a jacktard, especially at Pitt where it happens every few decades.

If you're not happy with a 9 or 10 win season...dude, you're never going to be happy as a Pitt fan. Go root for a blue blood like Bama, because those are the only schools it consistently happens at.

Go ahead - change the rules, but that's all I'm saying here
Didn’t change any topic.
Been on point on time.

You feel thrilled with the trip to El Paso and Charlotte , with third place conference finishes.

I’ll root for more

Didn’t change any topic.
Been on point on time.

You feel thrilled with the trip to El Paso and Charlotte , with third place conference finishes.

I’ll root for more
You're a smart guy. Stop acting like a retard. At what point did I say any of that? There is no way you believe what my comments are relate in any way to your reply. You're so far in the weeds it's scary. No wonder most on this board attack you

You're a smart guy. Stop acting like a retard. At what point did I say any of that? There is no way you believe what my comments are relate in any way to your reply. You're so far in the weeds it's scary. No wonder most on this board attack you
Your words
“ again - anyone that wants to minimize a 9 or 10 win season is a jacktard, especially at Pitt where it happens every few decades.”

My words

If you're not happy with a 9 or 10 win season...dude, you're never going to be happy as a Pitt fan. Go root for a blue blood like Bama, because those are the only schools it consistently happens at.”

My words
That’s fine.

Well, I've said for years that this was the date that I would judge this staff's recruiting. The verdict is in. We are what our rankings say we are. Our players are what their rankings say they are. Middling. Mediocre. About average for the ACC. We are your standard 7-5 to 6-6 program. With the roster and class we have coming in, our expectations should continue along those lines for the next couple of years at least.

As far as fan base morale. It will be bad. Every year we will say in August "I expect 7-5 but will be happy with 8-4". Yet, when WVU, PSU and ND all win at least 8-9 games every year, every 7-5 season will be a big disappointment despite being exactly what we expected. The constant disappointment will keep our fan base small and unenthusiastic. I see nothing changing.

Reactions: PittPoker
Your words
“ again - anyone that wants to minimize a 9 or 10 win season is a jacktard, especially at Pitt where it happens every few decades.”

My words

If you're not happy with a 9 or 10 win season...dude, you're never going to be happy as a Pitt fan. Go root for a blue blood like Bama, because those are the only schools it consistently happens at.”

My words
You're having a conversation with yourself. No one "bragged about finishing 3rd in a watered down big east"

You think we should be thrilled with those seasons.
I explained the context of them and why it isn’t braggable.

You muttered something about being a “retard” in rebuttal.
We’re done here
When you act like one, I don't know what else to tell you. Not that it matters, I like you - I truly do. I read most of your posts and generally agree with most if not all. You and any other Pitt fan that wants to pick apart a 9 or 10 win season is ridiculous. It boggles the mind. There is no amount of evidence or facts to support your logic. None. If Pitt would sprinkle those in every once in a while, maybe. Maybe I would see your point, but they just don't, so it's flawed and yes - retarded. All you explained was they could have had an even better season. Nothing to support it was bad or worth trashing.

It’s still the same topic.
I’m talking apples bro, you’re talking oranges. Pitt has won 9 games what, 3 times since 82. I’m sorry - I’m gonna say you’re as wrong as it gets for bashing a season when they win 9 or 10. You’re just wrong here and it’s ok

I’m talking apples bro, you’re talking oranges. Pitt has won 9 games what, 3 times since 82. I’m sorry - I’m gonna say you’re as wrong as it gets for bashing a season when they win 9 or 10. You’re just wrong here and it’s ok

If pitt dropped down to the AAC and won 9 games would you praise the season?

If pitt dropped down to the AAC and won 9 games would you praise the season?
Hypotheticals are hard. If they happened as few and far between as they do now, of course. It’s something that doesn’t happen with this program, no matter the competition we’ve played.

Not wrong

Beating soupcans, losing the meaningful games, and finishing third in conference both years is factually what happened .

Let’s take a look at the bowl games as a summary-
9 wins - sunbowl against a middle tier pac10 team, who is missing their star players.
We still somehow lose by scoring 0 points with lesean McCoy in the backfield.

10 win- we play in the tire bowl against the 5th place acc Unc team.
We have to come from behind to win.

Halcyon days

With momentum which took us to a 7-5 season.

Yes- the context of those seasons matter.
Even if it makes you sensitive to feel they are being “bashed”

Not wrong

Beating soupcans, losing the meaningful games, and finishing third in conference both years is factually what happened .

Let’s take a look at the bowl games as a summary-
9 wins - sunbowl against a middle tier pac10 team, who is missing their star players.
We still somehow lose by scoring 0 points with lesean McCoy in the backfield.

10 win- we play in the tire bowl against the 5th place acc Unc team.
We have to come from behind to win.

Halcyon days

With momentum which took us to a 7-5 season.

Yes- the context of those seasons matter.
Even if it makes you sensitive to feel they are being “bashed”
I'm never going to apologize for a 9 or 10 win season until they happen with any sort of consistency - we haven't allowed ourselves that entitlement. You're never going to convince me a 9 or 10 win season at freaking Pitt, especially during a time and a place where athletics were a very distant second, is something to bash. I'm not sensitive they are being bashed. I think it's stupid and a sense of entitlement the program doesn't deserve. I wish it did, but I live in reality. If this place starts acting like it matters - which recently (AD/Chancellor at least) seems like that corner is turning - and the program starts to move past winning 6 or 7 games, you have an argument. Right now, nothing you have said contradicts my stance. The only thing you've done here is point out it could have been better, which I have never disagreed with.

And yet here they are.

If they played a less daunting OCC schedule they would be already ranked in the top 15- which is the level they are currently playing.

How do you think this all of this happening? Is Narduzzi and staff all just so far superior in the X&O's that they can win with their "pathetic" recruiting? Or does it make more sense that that they are recruiting just fine?

Who were the stars of yesterday's game-
Pickett
Ffrench
Mack
Millin
Jones
Hamlin
Kirk
Bright
Weaver
Pinnock

All PN gets.
What happened in the Miami game when those players went up against better rated players. Those were PN recruits

Reactions: FreddieFunk
Nobody is bashing.
You’re being overly defensive of what was -
In truth- not impressive wins
Maybe, maybe not - but they are wins nonetheless. 9 or 10 of them and no matter the schedule...hard, easy or in between, unfortunately doesn't happen here.

Best third place big east seasons no doubt
Being glass half empty all the time must suck. For the last time, I'll take a 10 win season and say thanks rather than pick it apart, minimize or diminish it. I've only seen it twice in my lifetime. I'm a positive person. You should try it sometime. Cheers

I don't understand this thread. Trying to compare Duzz to Wanny. At what level are we comparing them.
We can look at local recruits:
1. There was more local (Pa/E. ohio/NJ/NY) talent 10 years ago
2. The number of people playing Highschool football in the NE is down more then any other part of the country.
3. With conference restructuring, recruiting is way more on a national scale.
-meaning more local talent (pa/e. ohio/nj/ny) goes nation wide
-and we will have to rely on national talent pool (this means bigger recruiting budget)
Wanny time got cut short at Pitt who knows what he could of done with a longer term.
Duzz has done well, and has a respectable team this year.

As a whole they both recruited pretty bad, but were/are good coaches, and bring credibility to the school

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT