ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting: What’s Next

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
We likely will take 5 more commitments for the 2020 class: A QB, a TE, 2 OL and one player who is so good we will take him regardless of position. In fact, if there are 2 or 3 or 4 more recruits the staff really wants, they will find a place for them. Remember, you only have to be at 85 in August, and players on the current roster who don’t see PT in their future may transfer. So, while 19-20 might be the target, the class will grow beyond that if great opportunities open up.

If Pinder decides on Pitt, I would assume we would take him even though he is a DT and both Brown and Hayes are likely to end up there. Remember, it is much easier to move a DL successfully to the OL than the reverse. E.g., Pinkston, Malecki, Cummings and Andy Allemann (although he was moved to OG after transferring and ended up getting drafted.)

The versatility of some of our commits gives us a little bit more flexibility here: Addison can play either WR (his preference) or DB; DeShields can play a variety of positions. I don’t know how high the staff is on Hightower. Although you would think our LB recruiting is done, if they are really high on him and they want to take him, they could. If they are really high on the RB from NY, they could take him as well.

QB and TE to me are the big question marks. We really don’t have a lot of offers out to uncommitted players at either position. Rawlings is the only TE who visited and I am shocked that he didn’t commit. Some people have said QB isn’t as big a need this year, and short term that likely is correct. But, I think you need one in every class. That being said, I think it’s safe to say they won’t be reaching for a DiNucci in this class. If Whipple can’t find his guy this year, we might wait and sign two in 2021.

I still expect Traylor to commit, which would give us 2 OTs. We still need an OG/C, and one good thing about having the class almost full is that we can focus on just a few positions in evaluating 2020 talent going forward.

Obviously, the staff will need to spend a lot of time trying to keep all of these verbals in the fold. But, we should expect at least a couple of decommits, although hopefully nothing like the barrage PSU has had. Speaking of which, the way Franklin works we can expect him to focus on turning the recruits he wanted who chose Pitt. It is his modus operandus. But, the staff will have the luxury of focusing more on 2021 and 2022 prospects, which is a good thing. Giving Archie Collins more time in Georgia should pay dividends.

One thing I heard late last night: 22 was too many. It was an experiment, and it simply was too many recruits to give all the time with staff that was needed. Otherwise, they believe they would have gotten at least 3 more commits from last week’s visitors. I think 15 will be the maximum in the future.

This is a really solid class. If they perform their senior seasons, I think it will end up with at least 5 or 6 4-star players, but, more importantly, I can’t think of another year where we got such high level commitments almost across the board based on offer sheets. On the other hand, Aaron Donald, James Conner and Dion Lewis hardly had any other P-5 offers among them, and they all turned out alright.

Yesterday probably was the best recruiting day Pitt has had since Tony Dorsett said yes. Hopefully, it is just the start of things to come.

Here’s what’s next....
  1. Keep the recruits in the fold by WINNING.
  2. That means no bad losses and no blow outs.
  3. Beat the teams you should beat
  4. Give Coach Partridge a pay increase.

That will go a long way in improving recruiting...

BTW... Good post

We likely will take 5 more commitments for the 2020 class: A QB, a TE, 2 OL and one player who is so good we will take him regardless of position. In fact, if there are 2 or 3 or 4 more recruits the staff really wants, they will find a place for them. Remember, you only have to be at 85 in August, and players on the current roster who don’t see PT in their future may transfer. So, while 19-20 might be the target, the class will grow beyond that if great opportunities open up.

If Pinder decides on Pitt, I would assume we would take him even though he is a DT and both Brown and Hayes are likely to end up there. Remember, it is much easier to move a DL successfully to the OL than the reverse. E.g., Pinkston, Malecki, Cummings and Andy Allemann (although he was moved to OG after transferring and ended up getting drafted.)

The versatility of some of our commits gives us a little bit more flexibility here: Addison can play either WR (his preference) or DB; DeShields can play a variety of positions. I don’t know how high the staff is on Hightower. Although you would think our LB recruiting is done, if they are really high on him and they want to take him, they could. If they are really high on the RB from NY, they could take him as well.

QB and TE to me are the big question marks. We really don’t have a lot of offers out to uncommitted players at either position. Rawlings is the only TE who visited and I am shocked that he didn’t commit. Some people have said QB isn’t as big a need this year, and short term that likely is correct. But, I think you need one in every class. That being said, I think it’s safe to say they won’t be reaching for a DiNucci in this class. If Whipple can’t find his guy this year, we might wait and sign two in 2021.

I still expect Traylor to commit, which would give us 2 OTs. We still need an OG/C, and one good thing about having the class almost full is that we can focus on just a few positions in evaluating 2020 talent going forward.

Obviously, the staff will need to spend a lot of time trying to keep all of these verbals in the fold. But, we should expect at least a couple of decommits, although hopefully nothing like the barrage PSU has had. Speaking of which, the way Franklin works we can expect him to focus on turning the recruits he wanted who chose Pitt. It is his modus operandus. But, the staff will have the luxury of focusing more on 2021 and 2022 prospects, which is a good thing. Giving Archie Collins more time in Georgia should pay dividends.

One thing I heard late last night: 22 was too many. It was an experiment, and it simply was too many recruits to give all the time with staff that was needed. Otherwise, they believe they would have gotten at least 3 more commits from last week’s visitors. I think 15 will be the maximum in the future.

This is a really solid class. If they perform their senior seasons, I think it will end up with at least 5 or 6 4-star players, but, more importantly, I can’t think of another year where we got such high level commitments almost across the board based on offer sheets. On the other hand, Aaron Donald, James Conner and Dion Lewis hardly had any other P-5 offers among them, and they all turned out alright.

Yesterday probably was the best recruiting day Pitt has had since Tony Dorsett said yes. Hopefully, it is just the start of things to come.
I’d like us to land Garcia (QB), Fisher (Quip), Pinder, Rawlings, Parks, and Traylor. All legit possibilities.

Reactions: 88Pitt88

Recruiting has certainly changed a lot. Things seem to happen a lot sooner in the recruiting calendar year now than they used to.

So it's good to remember that in the case of these guys who are committed (or are still being recruited) right now for the class of 2020, Pitt won't need to be at 85 counting them until August, 2020. These 2020 commits still have a SR year of HS ball to play!

The new guys that show up this August will be the 2019 class who signed LOI's to Pitt in Dec. 2018 and Feb. 2019.

I’d like us to land Garcia (QB), Fisher (Quip), Pinder, Rawlings, Parks, and Traylor. All legit possibilities.

Regarding QB, I'd imagine Whipple is carefully identifying and evaluating the prospects he feels have the skills and attributes he is looking for to be able to best operate HIS particular style and offensive preferences.

I think I read a post from Jim H. that there is a recruiting dead period from now until July 24. Imagine Whipple will be trying to determine specifically which QB (or QB's) he wants to have visit during that down time.

Now that the heaviest lifting for this class is over, would expect that any QB visit will be set up so that Pitt can focus a lot of individual and personal attention with the QB recruit: a lot of 1 on 1 between the recruit (and his family) with Whipple. Probably some discussions to determine aptitude and maybe some video work. But I do believe that Pitt will want to add a QB recruit to this class.

Reactions: Gary77

TE Rawlings has been CB to UVA since his OV there several weeks ago.

Like you said, the tough part of keeping everyone begins. I expect a few decommits eventually, but also expect a few more quality pick ups. That's part of the game when you are going head to head with the big boys. It's easy to keep guys that their next best offer is a mac school.

But congrats to the staff for a nice start and great 2 weekends.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT