ADVERTISEMENT

Redshirt Pickett

Weavedog469

Scholarship
Dec 12, 2016
With the new rule we should play Pickett two more games and then save the year we blew last year. If we win the next two keep playing him

With the new rule we should play Pickett two more games and then save the year we blew last year. If we win the next two keep playing him

I realize you’re being sarcastic, but supposedly that’s what Alabama is planning on doing with Jalen Hurts.

Of course Hurts is set to graduate in December so he would be eligible to transfer and play right away with 2 seasons of eligibility.

I am fairly sure that the 4 game rule is only available to this fall's incoming freshmen.

I do not think it is retroactive to a player that was previously on the roster.

Ok so he can't get on the field again.
s-l1000.jpg

Watching some again, he was overwhelmed from the first snap. Defense read him early every play. On several of his tuck and runs, he had multiple open underneath or in flat. Deep, covered though.
Herndon got destroyed and Bookser not far behind.

Anyone who can still redshirt can play in four games. Play him against Notre Dame and UCF for experience. Play Patti in four and play Towne the rest. Build for the future

Reactions: Pizzaboy1
Anyone who can still redshirt can play in four games. Play him against Notre Dame and UCF for experience. Play Patti in four and play Towne the rest. Build for the future
Pickett is the 'future' I think. Not sure red shirting him does a lot of good for him or the program. Get some passing schemes that can work off his mobility on the perimeter. Not sure he is comfortable with his protection in the pocket but use his mobility to stretch the defense on the edge.
Now for the OL, I would be playing some of the younger kids.

I realize you’re being sarcastic, but supposedly that’s what Alabama is planning on doing with Jalen Hurts.

Of course Hurts is set to graduate in December so he would be eligible to transfer and play right away with 2 seasons of eligibility.

Let's get Hurts to play next yr :)

I saw this tidbit in a forward tweet this am... seemed a good thread to post it. Highlights the difficulty in our passing offense... and confirms what our defense is facing Saturday (not a surprise, obviously).

CFB % Of Yards From Rushing:
1 Navy 81.16
2 Georgia Southern 78.16
3 UNLV 76.92
4 Georgia Tech 74.91
5 Air Force 73.38
6 Cincinnati 72.71
7 Army 71.92
8 Pittsburgh 70.49
9 Kentucky 68.13
10 UTEP 62.54

It takes a village to be good, but also bad at something in this case. Starts with OC, then onto the OL, WR, no TE, and yes, QB.

I definitely would have given Town some reps ... legit ones... in the second half of PSU to see if the experienced guy would have better luck getting the ball downfield. If he could, need to circle back and work (worry?)a bit more about Pickett. If (as i kind of suspect) Town would have had similar results, it suggests more of the other reasons.

Since I see countless teams at all levels of college football seem able to overcome shaky OL or just average QB and receivers etc. and still show some dynamism in their passing game, at least at times ... my hypothesis centers on inadequate unimaginative offensive plays. But I certainly could be wrong ... if the second guy had been given a chance, with absolutely nothing to lose by then, to prove or disprove it.

Instead of going best case and saying we beat Tech and Carolina let's do worse case. We can't stop the option and lose to Tech. We pull a Pitt against Carolina and lose a close one. If we are sitting at 1-3 and 0-2 in the confrence why not get another year of your best QB to make up for last years debacle of losing his redshirt

Instead of going best case and saying we beat Tech and Carolina let's do worse case. We can't stop the option and lose to Tech. We pull a Pitt against Carolina and lose a close one. If we are sitting at 1-3 and 0-2 in the confrence why not get another year of your best QB to make up for last years debacle of losing his redshirt

Id kinda agree, but Pickett definitely didnt look the part last weekend. Also, we dont have a back-up. If it was a Voytik kinda option, sure, but it isnt.

I think this week will tell us alot about this team. I think we come out and kick ass. But if we dont...

Most everyone thought it was going to be a 6-6 year. I dont think losing one game changes that. We dont suck, we arent very good... somewhere in the middle

Really you could play Pickett two more games, Patti 4 more games and then play Towne and George Jr. Next year you have Pickett and Patti both back and experienced and neither lost a year. I'm saying if we start 1-3.

Sounds great except the talent on the team is dropping. Lose basically the whole line this year. Not great depth behind them and recruiting is suffering. This may be the most talent he plays with...

Sounds great except the talent on the team is dropping. Lose basically the whole line this year. Not great depth behind them and recruiting is suffering. This may be the most talent he plays with...
I have a feeling pitt is going to have an average to below average line for the next several years. It's not like we have a stockpile of highly ranked guys.

What the beep are you thinking. Playing him only 4 games then redshirting won't make him any better you gain from experience not a few games. You want to play 3 Qbs? Did you not learn anything from last year? QB is the most vital position to try and keep 1 guy at for chemistry purposes. You start this few games here few games there crap you must be mental. Stupidest conversation I have ever read on this board ever and I usually respect anything people post on boards out respect to the person and there way of thinking but this is just plain mental. Jesus.

Yeah. I cant believe I opened this thread after reading the title. I guess thought it would be some good interweb sarcasm. Instead, total stupidity...sitting your starting QB on the bench instead of gaining valuable game experience?!?!?! Some dudes just go off the deep end after a bad loss

Reactions: Jsr862
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT