ADVERTISEMENT

Regressed program? Are you people serious?

doubleAA's

Freshman
Aug 26, 2005
It is so clear the program is far better now than years back, and honestly since the early 80s

These people that only show up after losses and try to bury our program has to stop.

Furthermore, if Narduzzi does "regress" and we start having losing seasons, I think we have a great AD that will give us a new tremendous coach. The facilities are first rate, sharing our practice facilities with the Steelers is a tremendous advantage, and other than not having an on campus stadium, I think every single thing about our program is better. Including the actual team.

It is so clear the program is far better now than years back, and honestly since the early 80s

These people that only show up after losses and try to bury our program has to stop.

Furthermore, if Narduzzi does "regress" and we start having losing seasons, I think we have a great AD that will give us a new tremendous coach. The facilities are first rate, sharing our practice facilities with the Steelers is a tremendous advantage, and other than not having an on campus stadium, I think every single thing about our program is better. Including the actual team.

lol. You’re kidding, right?

Reactions: rockypanther

I wouldn't say regress but it is stagnant. His ceiling is 8 wins. I just don't think he is very bright.

I wouldn't say regress but it is stagnant. His ceiling is 8 wins. I just don't think he is very bright.

Bright enough to have a top 10 defense. If he has any fault, it is that he has not been able to hold an OC that can succeed in building a sustainable product. That’s the challenge of being a defensive minded head coach. Few have been successful at it in college, and they include Stoops, Carroll, Saban, Orgeron and Patterson at TCU. They all coach/coached in recruiting hotbeds.

Bingo
Anyone who thinks the football program has moved up since 2010 is mistaken and confused.

It hasn't regressed and it hasn't progressed.

Pitt athletics is on the rise with Lyke hopefully that spills over to football.

One positive is staff stability, the negative is, is it the right staff?
Pitt could have had stability with the 2010 HC who put up the same results as today and would still be the Pitt HC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Black Panther
Bright enough to have a top 10 defense. If he has any fault, it is that he has not been able to hold an OC that can succeed in building a sustainable product. That’s the challenge of being a defensive minded head coach. Few have been successful at it in college, and they include Stoops, Carroll, Saban, Orgeron and Patterson at TCU. They all coach/coached in recruiting hotbeds.
If you listen to him speak it's clear he's not very bright. If your satisfied with 4 and 5 loss season good for you. Me I am not. He's lost games he easily should have won and his pride and ignorance prevented him from winning.

Reactions: rockypanther
Pitt has given up more points this year than Pitt has scored. How exactly is this program on some amazing trajectory?

Reactions: H2P 2003

Ignore is a good feature.

Reactions: sonofabit
Pitt's on track to have the lowest points per game average since 1996, clearly Pitt's offense is on a trajectory to the moon. And he's managing to do it against the worst strength of schedule during his tenure.

I don't think getting rid of Narduzzi is the way to go, but this will be the 3rd straight year with an offense ranked 94th in the country or worse. He needs to print out a giant sign that shows Pitt's number of pass attempts, and post them outside of the dorm window of every transfer portal QB in the nation (starting with USC's Sears).

I guess my only real knock against a defensive minded coach is that he defense averaged 82nd in the nation (points allowed) in the previous 3 seasons. Something only done 2 other times in the last 50 years (Carl DePasqua and Johnny Majors II). Narduzzi had the worst Pitt defense since Harris' second year (Actually the 1st, 2nd, and 4th worst defenses since Harris' second year).

I feel we haven’t regressed but I feel to saw we are progressing there are a couple things that need to happen.

1.) We need to start beating the teams we’re supposed to beat and beat them convincingly.

2.). We need to start beating teams that are better than us more than every other year.

3.). We need to win a bowl game

I feel we haven’t regressed but I feel to saw we are progressing there are a couple things that need to happen.

1.) We need to start beating the teams we’re supposed to beat and beat them convincingly.

2.). We need to start beating teams that are better than us more than every other year.

3.). We need to win a bowl game

Number 3 is the monkey he needs to get off his back this year.

Initially this was because we couldn’t afford to pay them and now it’s due to underperformance but we have shot higher now.

Last week was extremely discouraging, and really seemed to diminish most of the optimism (if there’s ever any) among this fan base, but it’s important to keep things in perspective. 80% of people on this board predicted 5-8 wins this season back in August, and that’s where they’re heading. The defense, especially after the early season D-line injuries, has been a pleasant surprise, and Pitt has 2 stars on D in Ford and Twyman. The incoming recruiting class seems solid. Pitt is not regressing. What Pitt does need is a solid Narduzzi “whisperer” Asst. HC because I question some of his in-game decisions. That being said, Pitt needs a solid win over BC to end the season on a positive note; 8-4 is progress.

When i start thinking if a program is good or not i look at ranges of wins. That is, 0-2 stinks; 3-5 bad; 6-8 average; 9-10 good and 11-12 stellar. One can argue sos and all that but thats sort of how i perceive teams to be. We have been average for awhile.

BRAVO.... (Clapping)

That being said, Pitt needs a solid win over BC to end the season on a positive note; 8-4 is progress.
They would have to win a bowl game and get to 9 wins total for me to call it progress. 1 more overall win is not progress when it’s at the expense of a division title and having a worse conference record.

We went 3-1 OOC with the only loss being a 7 point loss on the road to a top ten team that we dominated statistically and had a chance to win. There’s no reason this team should have 3 conference losses playing in such a bad division.

I don’t see how 8-4 (5-3) is any improvement at all over 7-5 (6-2) with a division title. If they do beat BC AND win a bowl game though..... without question I’d say 9-4 would be a step in the right direction. Personally I just wouldn’t be able to see any progress at 8-5 with more conference losses and yet another bowl loss.

Reactions: rmf05 and H2P 2003
They would have to win a bowl game and get to 9 wins total for me to call it progress. 1 more overall win is not progress when it’s at the expense of a division title and having a worse conference record.

We went 3-1 OOC with the only loss being a 7 point loss on the road to a top ten team that we dominated statistically and had a chance to win. There’s no reason this team should have 3 conference losses playing in such a bad division.

I don’t see how 8-4 (5-3) is any improvement at all over 7-5 (6-2) with a division title. If they do beat BC AND win a bowl game though..... without question I’d say 9-4 would be a step in the right direction. Personally I just wouldn’t be able to see any progress at 8-5 with more conference losses and yet another bowl loss.

I would go as far as to say that if they lose against BC you need to consider moving on, and if you lose the last two games he has to be gone.

If they go 4-4 against this conference schedule I don’t know how anyone could be ok with that.

I would go as far as to say that if they lose against BC you need to consider moving on, and if you lose the last two games he has to be gone.

If they go 4-4 against this conference schedule I don’t know how anyone could be ok with that.
Narduzzi will be back next year regardless. And probably the year after too.

Narduzzi hasn't regressed the program. He has elevated it from the Haywood/Graham/Chryst era but still hasn't brought it back to the Wanny level.

I like Narduzzi. He is a good coach but he his last 2 recruiting classes have been bad and he has struggled to recruit on the offensive side. He has a good class coming in so maybe he is turning that around.

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther

You do realize if they fired him after 8-5 no one is going to want to come here and take this job. That is telling prospective coaches that winning 8 games will get you fired here. That's fine if your coaching at FSU. But for Pitt that is telling coaches you are going to have to win big at a school that hasn't won big for a long time and you only have 5 years to do it.

Reactions: e-fresh
If you listen to him speak it's clear he's not very bright. If your satisfied with 4 and 5 loss season good for you. Me I am not. He's lost games he easily should have won and his pride and ignorance prevented him from winning.

I'm sure you are JFK re-encarnate. I'm positive that you are just the greatest orator ever, haha.

Narduzzi hasn't regressed the program. He has elevated it from the Haywood/Graham/Chryst era but still hasn't brought it back to the Wanny level.

I like Narduzzi. He is a good coach but he his last 2 recruiting classes have been bad and he has struggled to recruit on the offensive side. He has a good class coming in so maybe he is turning that around.

nah. We are at the wanny level. The wanny level was not very good.

I agree that narduzzi has returned the program back to the wanny level and has done so without bringing in the off the field disciplinary issues that wanny let creep into the program.

Can it raise it further? They next few years will tell.

You do realize if they fired him after 8-5 no one is going to want to come here and take this job. That is telling prospective coaches that winning 8 games will get you fired here. That's fine if your coaching at FSU. But for Pitt that is telling coaches you are going to have to win big at a school that hasn't won big for a long time and you only have 5 years to do it.
You still haven’t addressed how Tyler Boyd didn’t play under Narduzzi.

As stated the same group shows up loud after a loss but we don’t hear from them after a win. These same ppl predicted 5 wins and we should have 8 after this Saturday.

As stated the same group shows up loud after a loss but we don’t hear from them after a win. These same ppl predicted 5 wins and we should have 8 after this Saturday.

Is 5-3 against this ACC schedule acceptable?

Your description of Heather Lyke is a little much. While she has had some success addressing issues with the smaller sports within the university, she has FAILED miserably to address the #1 problem that the Pitt athletic department faces yearly...the lack of a football field that they can truly call home.
Until she resolves this issue, the football program, which is the top money maker at most D-I schools, will not reach the level of success that we all want for it.
Also, sharing a facility with the steelers is not as wonderful as you may think. There is minimal interaction between the two programs and as I posted in an earlier post, we can't even get the steelers kids who are talented enough to be D-I recruits to attend Pitt.

To say the program has regressed is a short sighted view. Perhaps you could argue it seems to be plateauing at moment but it’s much better than it was after Hackett. The issue among fans is that they’re waiting for the next step, convincing wins, more positional capability and execution.

Pitt is still a B player in P5 football. No Rank = No Respect. HCPN came in on a mountain of promise and lost 3 outta 3 bowl games and has let the offense fall to pieces. When you can’t create consistency on an entire phase of the football game people are going to start having some doubts.

Perhaps if we quit hyping the shit out them the kids wouldn’t disappoint as often. The real patience required by fans is that of expectation. Let the kids show you who they are.

We're decent. We've been ranging from decent to mediocre for most of 40 years. On rare occasions we were good or bad.

With a win against BC and in the bowl game, this is a decent season. We havent strung together multiple decent seasons in a decade. Next year could be a chance to start building something. Firing Narduzzi would be stupid at this point.

If we lose to BC and in the bowl, a other mediocre year next year could warm his butt a bit but he's done ok.

We're decent. We've been ranging from decent to mediocre for most of 40 years. On rare occasions we were good or bad.

With a win against BC and in the bowl game, this is a decent season. We havent strung together multiple decent seasons in a decade. Next year could be a chance to start building something. Firing Narduzzi would be stupid at this point.

If we lose to BC and in the bowl, a other mediocre year next year could warm his butt a bit but he's done ok.
I think that 8-5 is a acceptable outcome this season. 9-4 is a good year. 7-6 means we went 2-4 in the last 6 which to me would be pretty disappointing

The program certainly has not regressed. I would say it’s actually looking up.

First rate facilities are not the case, however. Teams are light years ahead of us. We do not have near the space nor facilities

I'm sure you are JFK re-encarnate. I'm positive that you are just the greatest orator ever, haha.
Actually, being a Regional Director for a Fortune 500 Healthcare company and 30 yrs of sales with multiple President's clubs to my name...yea I can speak pretty well

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT