ADVERTISEMENT

Remember Sean Miller wanted the job

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
And Pitt came very close to hiring him until their general counsel didn't give them the green light. Say what you want about Miller, but he would have been much better than Capel and no he's not getting a show-cause though he might get like a half-season suspension or something like that.

• Haha
Reactions: persp and 412Pitt
And Pitt came very close to hiring him until their general counsel didn't give them the green light. Say what you want about Miller, but he would have been much better than Capel and no he's not getting a show-cause though he might get like a half-season suspension or something like that.

Nobody wants Sean Miller. If we are going to stink either way we might as well stink with Capel who’s a good dude.

He did? I thought he didn’t want anything to do with the job?

I was on the pay board at that time and there was a respected poster (forget who) who said Miller wanted it and Pitt was doing due diligence. I remember someone replying, asking if this was true and even DT replied that he is hearing that it was. But then their GC nixed it. And if you remember, Heather thanked the GC at the Capel presser which was the first time a GC has ever been mentioned at a new coach press conference.

Reactions: 412Pitt
I was on the pay board at that time and there was a respected poster (forget who) who said Miller wanted it and Pitt was doing due diligence. I remember someone replying, asking if this was true and even DT replied that he is hearing that it was. But then their GC nixed it. And if you remember, Heather thanked the GC at the Capel presser which was the first time a GC has ever been mentioned at a new coach press conference.

I'm not sure any General Counsel has the ability to reject a business from hiring someone. It's the other VP for that unit that does hiring, or, the CEO if you're talking about the Executive level. GC's can give their recommendation, but they cannot "nix" a hire that a business wants to make. Corporate structures are just not set up like that.

Stallings-web-821x900.jpg

I'm not sure any General Counsel has the ability to reject a business from hiring someone. It's the other VP for that unit that does hiring, or, the CEO if you're talking about the Executive level. GC's can give their recommendation, but they cannot "nix" a hire that a business wants to make. Corporate structures are just not set up like that.

Yea, you know what I meant

I thought he wanted the job because his wife has bad allergies in Tucson? Seriously, someone wrote that they had heard that.

Yes
So he had no interest when the program was in good shape
He wasn’t leaving Arizona for Pitt so stop the silliness

The job was much more attractive following Stallings than Dixon. Coaches would rather build than follow a legend.
Plus, there was the NCAA stuff at AZ he was running from.

Yea, you know what I meant

I honestly don't know what you meant. You seem to believe that legal counsel can decisively reject a candidate for hire. That's not how businesses - except for law firms - are run. I'm a Deputy General Counsel at a large company and I'm telling you that the business does what it wants. All I can do is make recommendations to the CEO and follow the rules of professional conduct. I have no power to "nix" a hire.

If what you meant is that the General Counsel recommended that they not hire Miller, then Heather Lyke was free to disregard that. Hiring or not hiring was her decision and maybe the University President's. That's it, no one else. I'm sure that Miller's reputation was just one factor that they considered among many, as was Capel's. But ultimately no one other that Lyke or the President was decisive in not choosing Miller (if he was even under serious consideration).

If what you meant is that the General Counsel recommended that they not hire Miller, then Heather Lyke was free to disregard that. Hiring or not hiring was her decision and maybe the University President's. That's it, no one else. I'm sure that Miller's reputation was just one factor that they considered among many, as was Capel's. But ultimately no one other that Lyke or the President was decisive in not choosing Miller (if he was even under serious consideration).

Correcto

I didn't even know he tweeted that but yea, Miller wanted it but we hired another Stallings.
Finally all you give a crap abboutis your name sake, Guess whaT HE AINT COMING HERE SO GO AWAY. ARIZONA Go there. Kiss his you know what and leave Pitt alone. You hate Pitt because yur lover aint here. Tough on you.

Finally all you give a crap abboutis your name sake, Guess whaT HE AINT COMING HERE SO GO AWAY. ARIZONA Go there. Kiss his you know what and leave Pitt alone. You hate Pitt because yur lover aint here. Tough on you.

Good to you have back, Goldie

When no is looking, I bet you make out with the poster of Sean Miller hanging on your bedroom wall.

The counsel was probably asked his opinion, and he correctly said NO. The BOT doesn't usually vote on hires other than Chancellor, but their advice if requested is often followed. Of course, the jackals and would-be kingmakers shot their wad with the Barnes/Stallings fiasco, so they had no input this time.

The counsel probably wasn't even giving their legal opinion. They just watched Sean Miller in March and got nauseous.

It doesn't even make sense. In what context would the General Counsel tell the AD not to hire him? Unless he's a known terrorist or a CCP spy, what legal liability is there? Even if he had been charged in relation to that wiretap story, it's not like Lyke is going to jail for associating with Miller.

The only way it makes any sense is that Pitt was unwilling to extend a binding contract to a guy who was likely to be implicated and sanctioned by the NCAA. Surely they could have written a contract with proper exit clauses if they cared enough to hire him. I don't see what "due diligence" a lawyer at Pitt could've done that would've been anything more than wild speculation given it has taken three years for his own school to take action, and the NCAA still has done nothing to him.

This is just another crazy conspiracy theory about how Pitt "isn't serious about winning" even though it is just obvious business sense. It was probably just a lazy excuse from the Athletic Department to shut up some nosy boosters.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
It doesn't even make sense. In what context would the General Counsel tell the AD not to hire him? Unless he's a known terrorist or a CCP spy, what legal liability is there? Even if he had been charged in relation to that wiretap story, it's not like Lyke is going to jail for associating with Miller.

The only way it makes any sense is that Pitt was unwilling to extend a binding contract to a guy who was likely to be implicated and sanctioned by the NCAA. Surely they could have written a contract with proper exit clauses if they cared enough to hire him. I don't see what "due diligence" a lawyer at Pitt could've done that would've been anything more than wild speculation given it has taken three years for his own school to take action, and the NCAA still has done nothing to him.

This is just another crazy conspiracy theory about how Pitt "isn't serious about winning" even though it is just obvious business sense. It was probably just a lazy excuse from the Athletic Department to shut up some nosy boosters.
You might be right, since outsiders were the open door for Barnes. But I've been on several non-profit boards, and Counsel is a very important part of the process.

If you believe the "Miller to Pitt except for the lawyers" nonsense then you also have to now acknowledge that two different Universities have had their lawyers tell their athletic departments that they can't sign a contract with the guy.

And yet some delusional people still want him here.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
You might be right, since outsiders were the open door for Barnes. But I've been on several non-profit boards, and Counsel is a very important part of the process.

Counsel is important, no doubt, but they don't have final hiring or firing authority except for their direct reports. They can only make recommendations.

They definitely can't make a final decision on whether or not another Senior Director or Senior Vice President (which is what an AD is) can be prevented from hiring a direct report. No organization is set up like that. None.

Anyone saying it was the lawyers who prevented Pitt from hiring Sean Miller are either misinformed or trying to blamecast to protect the Athletics Department. It's fine for the AD to have decided that Miller wasn't worth the risk. That's reasonable. Maybe counsel even convinced them of that. But only the AD or the Chancellor made the final call.

Bingo. The only risks were: 1) reputational; and 2) damage to the hoops program if Miller was criminally convicted or suspended by the NCAA (not sure if that's even possible). Plenty of schools and pro organizations have decided to ignore both of these to hire known cheaters, and you could absolutely immunize yourself contractually from having to pay Miller if the NCAA sanctioned either him or Pitt.

Miller's stats , we could only dream

302-109 record (150-68 mark in the Pac-12)
- 3-time Pac-12 Coach of the Year
- 13 NBA Draft picks
- 7 NCAA Tournament appearances
- 5 Pac-12 titles
- 5 Sweet Sixteens
- 3 Elite Eights

He couldn’t make the final four at Arizona while cheating like crazy. He is overrated as a coach. He was a great recruiter but seems most of that was the bag men.

Reactions: Parkview57
He couldn’t make the final four at Arizona while cheating like crazy. He is overrated as a coach. He was a great recruiter but seems most of that was the bag men.

302-109 record (150-68 mark in the Pac-12)
- 3-time Pac-12 Coach of the Year
- 13 NBA Draft picks
- 7 NCAA Tournament appearances
- 5 Pac-12 titles
- 5 Sweet Sixteens
- 3 Elite Eights

Compare to ANY Pitt coach , and Capel used bag men before

Counsel is important, no doubt, but they don't have final hiring or firing authority except for their direct reports. They can only make recommendations.

They definitely can't make a final decision on whether or not another Senior Director or Senior Vice President (which is what an AD is) can be prevented from hiring a direct report. No organization is set up like that. None.

Anyone saying it was the lawyers who prevented Pitt from hiring Sean Miller are either misinformed or trying to blamecast to protect the Athletics Department. It's fine for the AD to have decided that Miller wasn't worth the risk. That's reasonable. Maybe counsel even convinced them of that. But only the AD or the Chancellor made the final call.
The BOT hires the Chancellor and Counsel. After the Barnes/Stallings mess, it wouldn't surprise me if Chancellor Gallagher passed it to the Board, and Counsel advised them to avoid damaged goods. Lyke was still new and couldn't hire him by herself.

Sean Miller was NEVER contacted about the Pitt job when Dixon left, despite all the rumors. I know this from an extremely good source. I don't have any info if he was contacted after Stallings was canned.

Sean Miller was NEVER contacted about the Pitt job when Dixon left, despite all the rumors. I know this from an extremely good source. I don't have any info if he was contacted after Stallings was canned.

After Stallings he was , and met with Heather, when she couldn't hire him, she wanted to , he put out that statement about not a candidate, I know this for a fact

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT