Sophomore
Dec 16, 2018
Barlow- 4 Star, 61 Nationally
Mintz- 4 Star, 68 Nationally
Oweh- 4 Star, 76 Nationally
Skillings- 4 Star- 106 Nationally
Reed- 4 Star- 108 Nationally
Dunn-4 Star, 112 Nationally

Not too much to complain about there. Mintz is still underrated and Im not trading him for Rodney Rice who was his teammate and ranked 44th Nationally after Mintz was a 1st team All EYBL performer. Oweh came in a bit higher than I was expecting for a player with very limited outside shooting but I really like his defense and other parts of his game and he is a winner and a winning teammate that is humble. Dunn is considerably still underrated. I have not watched Skillings enough to say either way although he has generated quite a bit of hype with a growing offer sheet. Reed deserves to be in the Top 100.

For the players I have watched this summer, overall I think they did a fairly decent job. Although there are a few players that are considerably overrated. Including are both guys headed to Syracuse and neither one can shoot at all., Austin Nunez who did nothing this summer and Dug Mcdaniel who is a tiny guard headed to Michigan that cant shoot. Roddy Gayle from NY finally got a massive drop which is a long time coming. Shawn Phillips should have dropped out completely, he did nothing this summer except collect fouls and lose games. There is no way Phillips is better than Jaylen Reed, that is craziness at this point.

I dont think Jerome Beya or Christ Essandoko showed anything near enough to be Top 150 players and Pitt has been watching both of them. If ranking on potential then maybe I can see it, but not current skill as of today. They both need to show skill improvement.

Kam Craft got a massive bump, talked about him quite a bit, its deserved. Allen Lubin with a Pitt offer also deserved the big bump to a degree, although he feasted on easy transition baskets to bump his points up this summer. Also like Terrance Arceneaux's big bump which is deserved, he played well.

Former Pitt target Cam Whitmore cant shoot. Ton of hype because he is ultra athletic that can dribble drive and rebound, but he still cant shoot. Ranking him a 5 star is questionable. Hood Schifino as a 5 Star is also pretty questionable. Had a good, not great summer, although he is going to be a pretty darn good college player. Billups got the rating drop, no surprise, he only had 2 committable offers from his Top 6 , VCU and NC State, no one else invited him for an OV including Pitt. Jaquan Sanders made the Top 150 and its about time. He is likely headed to St. John's.

They also put Desmond Claude in the rankings, the big 6'6 point guard I was hyping up during the EYBL. Really like his game, he's still underrated and has good potential

As you can see here, Barlow, Dunn, and Oweh, the top targets on Pitt's big board, have elevated their stock.

Last edited:

Not too much to complain about there. Mintz is still underrated and Im not trading him for Rodney Rice who was his teammate and ranked 44th Nationally after Mintz was a 1st team All EYBL performer. Oweh came in a bit higher than I was expecting for a player with very limited outside shooting but I really like his defense and other parts of his game and he is a winner and a winning teammate that is humble. Dunn is considerably still underrated. I have not watched Skillings enough to say either way although he has generated quite a bit of hype with a growing offer sheet. Reed deserves to be in the Top 100.

For the players I have watched this summer, overall I think they did a fairly decent job. Although there are a few players that are considerably overrated. Including are both guys headed to Syracuse and neither one can shoot at all., Austin Nunez who did nothing this summer and Dug Mcdaniel who is a tiny guard headed to Michigan that cant shoot. Roddy Gayle from NY finally got a massive drop which is a long time coming. Shawn Phillips should have dropped out completely, he did nothing this summer except collect fouls and lose games. There is no way Phillips is better than Jaylen Reed, that is craziness at this point.

I dont think Jerome Beya or Christ Essandoko showed anything near enough to be Top 150 players and Pitt has been watching both of them. If ranking on potential then maybe I can see it, but not current skill as of today. They both need to show skill improvement.

Kam Craft got a massive bump, talked about him quite a bit, its deserved. Allen Lubin with a Pitt offer also deserved the big bump to a degree, although he feasted on easy transition baskets to bump his points up this summer. Also like Terrance Arceneaux's big bump which is deserved, he played well.

Former Pitt target Cam Whitmore cant shoot. Ton of hype because he is ultra athletic that can dribble drive and rebound, but he still cant shoot. Ranking him a 5 star is questionable. Hood Schifino as a 5 Star is also pretty questionable. Had a good, not great summer, although he is going to be a pretty darn good college player. Billups got the rating drop, no surprise, he only had 2 committable offers from his Top 6 , VCU and NC State, no one else invited him for an OV including Pitt. Jaquan Sanders made the Top 150 and its about time. He is likely headed to St. John's.

They also put Desmond Claude in the rankings, the big 6'6 point guard I was hyping up during the EYBL. Really like his game, he's still underrated and has good potential

As you can see here, Barlow, Dunn, and Oweh, the top targets on Pitt's big board, have elevated their stock.
I hope we are secretly recruiting Desmond.
Another overlooked Nespac kid.
That can be a real secret advantage for us.

I mentioned this in Peach Jam thread- Rice obviously has some talent but I'm not sure I would want him as a teammate. He comes across as a selfish player.

Reactions: Vader_Storm

He's versatile. I mean, you could literally put him at the 1,2 or 3 and have a playmaker that can score and pass. Big, long, athletic, and his school list should have taken off far more than it did. I still don't know the story with his recruitment, but everything is there to be a really big time college player. He is significantly better than Copeland who is headed to Syracuse with way better numbers over the summer. I don't know who at rivals loves Copeland, maybe its potential as they view him as a 6'6 pg, but Claude is everything Copeland is and then some with far more skill at this point.

I think we should be recruiting Claude, said that months ago. He doesn't have to be a full time point. Point forward works well too.

Pg recruiting will be interesting with Gallagher and major target Jaylen Curry who is playing on team USA right now at FIBA. I expect Mintz to play on and off at Pitt.

He's versatile. I mean, you could literally put him at the 1,2 or 3 and have a playmaker that can score and pass. Big, long, athletic, and his school list should have taken off far more than it did. I still don't know the story with his recruitment, but everything is there to be a really big time college player. He is significantly better than Copeland who is headed to Syracuse with way better numbers over the summer. I don't know who at rivals loves Copeland, maybe its potential as they view him as a 6'6 pg, but Claude is everything Copeland is and then some with far more skill at this point.

I think we should be recruiting Claude, said that months ago. He doesn't have to be a full time point. Point forward works well too.

Pg recruiting will be interesting with Gallagher and major target Jaylen Curry who is playing on team USA right now at FIBA. I expect Mintz to play on and off at Pitt.
But doesn't it seem pretty obvious kids up in the Nespac receive zero love?
Seems like it to me.
Tucked up in that corner.

But doesn't it seem pretty obvious kids up in the Nespac receive zero love?
Seems like it to me.
Tucked up in that corner.

Its a different ball game because you are talking prep. Prep gets less love than juco which is not much, lol.

These players in prep are older, they are more seasoned. And a number of them are going to prep to try to get more exposure because they didn't play in the summer to get recruited one way or another. It happens a lot when a player gets a significant injury and misses the exposure events to get recruited and get their name out there or because of grades. We have done well in the last 20 years in the Nepsac and in prep. Some heavy hitters Pitt got from prep include Sam Young, Gilbert Brown, Femi Odukale, Ty Biggs, Ashton Gibbs, Nate Santos, etc.. Yea, we should continue to scout prep heavily, although we have a pretty good base of guys between 2022 and 2023 we are locked in with in terms of trying to close the deal.

Claude gave an interview update today to Pro Insight which just got released. Rutgers, Marquette, Xavier, Most of the Big East and Big Ten, and he said more schools were coming in. He said he is waiting to see who all comes in with an offer and be patient. Obviously, he is still wide open with his recruitment. One to watch...

Reactions: Drew1208

Who do you think we land?

Claude gave an interview update today to Pro Insight which just got released. Rutgers, Marquette, Xavier, Most of the Big East and Big Ten, and he said more schools were coming in. He said he is waiting to see who all comes in with an offer and be patient. Obviously, he is still wide open with his recruitment. One to watch...
Ok so he's being watched pretty good.

Reactions: Vader_Storm
Who do you think we land?

Too early to say although I really like our position with Gallagher and Barnes in 2023.

I think we are major contenders for Dunn and Barlow and on the very short list for both of them. I think Penn State is leading for Oweh by a pretty small margin and we are on the very short list of about 4 schools to get him and we are likely his last visit. I think Oweh will make his decision soon. I think he can be flipped from Penn State by a team like Illinois, Pitt, or maybe Seton Hall.

I think unless something changes Okpara is going to Harvard. I dont know where we stand with Skillings, Lubin and Reed.

I would keep a very close watch on Lamothe, Hansberry, Hooks, and Curry in 2023 among others. I think we are out for London Johnson.

Too early to say although I really like our position with Gallagher and Barnes in 2023.

I think we are major contenders for Dunn and Barlow and on the very short list for both of them. I think Penn State is leading for Oweh by a pretty small margin and we are on the very short list of about 4 schools to get him and we are likely his last visit. I think Oweh will make his decision soon. I think he can be flipped from Penn State by a team like Illinois, Pitt, or maybe Seton Hall.

I think unless something changes Okpara is going to Harvard. I dont know where we stand with Skillings, Lubin and Reed.

I would keep a very close watch on Lamothe, Hansberry, Hooks, and Curry in 2023 among others. I think we are out for London Johnson.

I should have added. All 6 of those 2023 kids I mentioned above have visited Pitt at least one time already. Gallagher and Barnes are repeat visitors that have been to Pitt more than once.

We are heavily recruiting Team Durant players. And team Durant players include Jeffress, Mintz, Gallagher, Lamothe, Hansberry and Shawn Simmons.

I expect Lamothe and Hansberry to make 2nd visits to Pitt. And Pitt is a major player to get Lamothe who is from Queens, NY.

Last edited:
And I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express! These rankings aren't all that meaningful, similar to what hotel I stayed in.

What do you guys think about unranked 3 Stars SF/PF 6'8" 200 lbs Fray Nguimbi? He has 13 offers and 6 from P-5 schools, 1 from Dayton & South Fla each. 2 teams Memphis & Missouri showing interest.

Ok so he's being watched pretty good.

The new cumulative player rankings are now updated on 247

A few notables

Mintz- 57th Nationally
Skillings-88th Nationally
Reed-92nd Nationally
Dunn-94th Nationally
Beya-171st (and deserved to fall)

Hey Drew, here he is,

Claude- 102nd Nationally -Yep, someone finally caught up to what Ive been saying about these guys increasing their stock. Here is Claude, repping the Nepsac.

Piper, Dunn and Skillings have some similarities and differences. Both big wingspans, although Skillings is 7'0 and a little bit longer than Dunn. Skillings is far more athletic and has overall better "long" term upside. Skillings is a big time athlete. Both can shoot the 3, but Dunn is a better outside shooter at this point than Skillings. Both can rebound well for a wing. Dunn can pass better. Skillings can get into the lane better. Dunn has better ball control being a former point guard. Skillings is far stronger and has a way better college body at this point.

Either would be an excellent get. Both are still underrated. Dunn is a small lean Virginia as of today. I think we are in strong contention for Skillings, very strong.

The new cumulative player rankings are now updated on 247

A few notables

Mintz- 57th Nationally
Skillings-88th Nationally
Reed-92nd Nationally
Dunn-94th Nationally
Beya-171st (and deserved to fall)

Hey Drew, here he is,

Claude- 102nd Nationally -Yep, someone finally caught up to what Ive been saying about these guys increasing their stock. Here is Claude, repping the Nepsac.

Piper, Dunn and Skillings have some similarities and differences. Both big wingspans, although Skillings is 7'0 and a little bit longer than Dunn. Skillings is far more athletic and has overall better "long" term upside. Skillings is a big time athlete. Both can shoot the 3, but Dunn is a better outside shooter at this point than Skillings. Both can rebound well for a wing. Dunn can pass better. Skillings can get into the lane better. Dunn has better ball control being a former point guard. Skillings is far stronger and has a way better college body at this point.

Either would be an excellent get. Both are still underrated. Dunn is a small lean Virginia as of today. I think we are in strong contention for Skillings, very strong.

It was reported Pitt is now targeting NY PSA Cardinal Yann Farell, Top 100ish 6'8 4 star WF / power forward with a 7 foot wingspan. Both Capel brothers are in to watch him. He recently just transferred to Keystone Academy in Pennsylvania. Former Nepsac player that had a big summer in the EYBL. Averaged 12ppg /6rpg in the EYBL shooting 65% from the floor. His recruitment is open.

Last edited:
Not sure how much Pitt is still actively recruiting him... @Vader_Storm ??

Pitt is still actively recruiting all the Team Durant players I mentioned previously. Lamothe is supposed to take a 2nd visit to Pitt officially and so is Hansberry who's family is friends with Judah Mintz's family. Gallagher has been to Pitt plenty. Buchanan is another target among others that's been to Pitt once so far. We are recruiting all of them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT