ADVERTISEMENT

Rizzo time frame

Nish67

Redshirt
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2001
Can't believe I'm checking 2 or 3 times a day to see if Rizzo has made the decision between us and Navy. I know, too much time on my hands. To me he is such a high priority recruit. His impact on the wrestling team would be huge. We've been strong at heavyweight for a while and now we've got a void with nothing seemingly on the horizon to fill it. With Rizzo we could arguably be the strongest we've been in a long time, top to bottom, conceding that our prized freshmen need some time to develop.

So, I need some help. Can someone explain the time parameters within which Rizzo has to make a decision. When is the cutoff date? Does he sit out this year for Temple, transfer in January and then be available to wrestle next season? How does that work?

I'm planning to drive to Philly for the Keystone Classic on Sunday, November 24th. Lots of good teams. Anybody else plan to be there?

I know nothing about the time table, but some googling & common sense says:

He's from Johnstown - a Pitt friendly area, his girlfriend goes to Pitt, and if you go back through articles from when he wrestled the Dapper Dan, his quotes make pretty clear he's a proud Pennsylvanian & gets what representing PA in wrestling means.

No Keystone Classic for me, other travel plans ruined it. If the Pitt men's basketball team in the Palestra from 2012 is any indication, the wrestling there should be a cool experience. Plan to get use out of my season tickets for NC State & Pitt Duals. Then going to see them in College Park vs. Maryland & the ACC's in Blacksburg. Enjoy the Keystone.

I would assume he won't announce until Temple finishes it's FB season.

I never understood why he was so intent on playing FB when he had no major offers but could have gone almost anywhere and wrestled. I guess he wanted to try to prove that Pitt and PSU made mistakes by not offering him a FB scholarship.

One thing that possibly stands in Pitt's way as far as him signing: if he still harbors any thought of walking on to the FB team, he can't do that at Pitt but can at Navy. Under NCAA rules, if a FB player has a scholarship in another sport he counts against the 85 scholarship limit for FB. But, that rule doesn't apply to the three military academies because they don't have athletic scholarships per se. That rule was put in after Miami signed 5 FB players to track scholarships one year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT