ADVERTISEMENT

Romanticizing Pitt Stadium Attendance

Actually, UPMC put the southside complex together, and Pitt was an equal renter. The Steelers had a mud lot near 3RS as a practice field. The Rooney's and their lackey Mayor Smurphy negotiated the deal with Nordy & the BOT. Pitt let the stadium go downhill (It was 70+ years old) and had high maintenance costs, no club facilities/boxes/press rooms or amenities. We got a longterm lease at a low cost, UPMC gets rent, and space to build a needed arena was made available. The plan to build the Pete on the OC lot, connected to a remodeled stadium by elevators was too expensive....would have been terrific. But 6-7 gamedays didn't merit that expenditure. I hated it, but it was the reasonable solution to replacing 2 outdated facilities that housed our 2 revenue sports.
I agree but it doesn't exactly sound like a weak commitment to football. More like a practical approach to an expensive problem.

Reactions: pittchagg
When the Pete was full, it generated more profit than football. Football is much costlier to run.

The conference revenue is due to football, mainly.

As for basketball revenue, Pitt does what it does best and ruined a good thing. I'll wait patiently to see how they eff up the soccer program's rise to prominence.

It was pretty much a craphole. Still better than HF for college football.
It would needed to have been demolished. You could not have put a band aid on it. And Pitt did try with a fresh paint job, new video and sound system, new turf and ‘updates’ to concessions and baths.

The bleacher seats were set in preform concrete. You can’t convert to retractable or seat back seating. The guts had no space for modern day bathrooms and concessions. I don’t call a 70 year old porcelain piss trough modern plumbing.

But today pitt spends $250 million on victory Heights. Gets nine in donations. Will have debt finance 95 percent of the cost. Goes into debt to go further into debt because this project generates negative cash flows. Will generate a negative roi and will never pay for itself.

Gallagher even said it will mortgage Pitts future.

And track still doesn’t have an outdoor track

A high school venue gets built for volleyball. At least it will have central air.

MPC was the answer. Stade Pierre Mauroy

It would needed to have been demolished. You could not have put a band aid on it. And Pitt did try with a fresh paint job, new video and sound system, new turf and ‘updates’ to concessions and baths.

The bleacher seats were set in preform concrete. You can’t convert to retractable or seat back seating. The guts had no space for modern day bathrooms and concessions. I don’t call a 70 year old porcelain piss trough modern plumbing.

But today pitt spends $250 million on victory Heights. Gets nine in donations. Will have debt finance 95 percent of the cost. Goes into debt to go further into debt because this project generates negative cash flows. Will generate a negative roi and will never pay for itself.

Gallagher even said it will mortgage Pitts future.

And track still doesn’t have an outdoor track

A high school venue gets built for volleyball. At least it will have central air.

MPC was the answer. Stade Pierre Mauroy

Rebuilding a new stadium on the same spot or the lot next door would have been doable. It's what Stanford did for under $100M and Pitt could have done that and would be better positioned now.

Reactions: cbpitt2
The conference revenue is due to football, mainly.

As for basketball revenue, Pitt does what it does best and ruined a good thing. I'll wait patiently to see how they eff up the soccer program's rise to prominence.
The ACC revenue isn't designated as football revenue. A few of the teams make more net from hoops...Duke, Wake, Cuse, maybe BC. And Pitt made BB millions in the Good old Days, while FB does not, despite playing in a NFL stadium where they have no maintenance cost.

The ACC revenue isn't designated as football revenue. A few of the teams make more net from hoops...Duke, Wake, Cuse, maybe BC. And Pitt made BB millions in the Good old Days, while FB does not, despite playing in a NFL stadium where they have no maintenance cost.
Louisville is the poster child for making more money from basketball.

Reactions: NTOP
IMO, the most realistic way Pitt brings football back to Oakland (aside from building on the VA lot) is buying the land that runs along the Allies between Bates and Craft in Central Oakland. There are only two tenants on the site, the UMPC Plastic Surgery center and Duquesne Light, who I recall are moving off the site anyways. Worst case scenario, they have to buy off a house or two at the bottom of the hill and fill the slope.

It’d have everything necessary for an on-campus stadium: enough room for both a stadium and parking, very few land acquisitions to make, and easy access in and out of Oakland.

What did Nordenberg say about his decision to put the wrecking ball to Pitt Stadium, "it was the easiest decision I ever made." Apparantly, the Board of Trustees is still good with that decision. He hasn't gone away quietly. He is still the Director of the Institute of Politics at the university.

What did Nordenberg say about his decision to put the wrecking ball to Pitt Stadium, "it was the easiest decision I ever made." Apparantly, the Board of Trustees is still good with that decision. He hasn't gone away quietly. He is still the Director of the Institute of Politics at the university.

He said he was originally against the idea, proposed to him by SP. So he went from being against it to it being the "easiest decision"? Please.

It's $28M per year because of football.

When the Pete was full, it generated more profit than football. Football is much costlier to run.

When you don't consider facility cost for your shiny new on campus facility with people fighting over tickets.

Big difference between Big East days and ACC. How many times has it happened since Pitt joined the ACC? Answer, never.

What do you think would happen to football revenue if Pitt built a football facility on campus comparable to the Pete?

What costs does men's basketball cover at the Pete in their P&L? You act like playing at Heinz is a benefit. Why not move BB to PPG arena, would be a windfall right?

What costs does men's basketball cover at the Pete in their P&L? You act like playing at Heinz is a benefit. Why not move BB to PPG arena, would be a windfall right?
I was vehemently against moving to 3RS/HF. Now that it's been done, there is no chance that there will be a campus stadium. I hate HF, but there is no option, and I've accepted it. And I gave up my season tix after one year.
One of the drivers for a new arena was that we didn't have to go to the Arena or PPG for games. The Pete is right-sized when we don't hire bad BB coaches.

Exactly. If HF is great for football, then PPG Arena has to be great for Pitt basketball.

I was vehemently against moving to 3RS/HF. Now that it's been done, there is no chance that there will be a campus stadium. I hate HF, but there is no option, and I've accepted it. And I gave up my season tix after one year.
One of the drivers for a new arena was that we didn't have to go to the Arena or PPG for games. The Pete is right-sized when we don't hire bad BB coaches.

the problem with our fanbase, summarized in one post. Thanks for doing it so succinctly!

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Rebuilding a new stadium on the same spot or the lot next door would have been doable. It's what Stanford did for under $100M and Pitt could have done that and would be better positioned now.
It could not have been done for less than 200 million. More likely a lot more than that. Dreaming if you think otherwise.

It could not have been done for less than 200 million. More likely a lot more than that. Dreaming if you think otherwise.

Stanford tore down their stadium and rebuilt it for under 100 million. Pitt could have done that.

The didn't. Now the program is doomed. Forever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT