Draft
Woods
Williams
Means
Epps

We need 1 thread

Last edited:
Reactions: Burgh15
Also, I’d love if Nick Lapi entered the portal. I don’t know if I’ve ever had such an unfounded hatred for a Pitt player. It probably because he has no business seeing the field and Narduzzi loves him.

Also, I’d love if Nick Lapi entered the portal. I don’t know if I’ve ever had such an unfounded hatred for a Pitt player. It probably because he has no business seeing the field and Narduzzi loves him.
The punter is it for me. Just gets to shank 20 yarders every game week after week because he's related to the right guy.

The beauty of the transfer portal is that you can turn over a bad roster quickly. The ugly of the transfer portal is that you need a capable coach and money to get good replacement parts.
But players not good enough to start for a 3-9 team should move on. Many starters on a 3-9 team aren't good enough and should move on.
Many coaches on a 3-9 team aren't good enough and should move on.

In the last hour...

I watched the Cover 3 Podcast, and they were talking about Indiana having $3M to spend in NIL this season, which is "more than bottom half ACC teams" (I assume we fall into that category.

I read Chris Peak's tweet saying 85% of these transfers are NIL related.

Jimmy V's speech happened to be on the TV--the part where he is asking for funds to cure cancer.

Kind of puts things in perspective. I wish fans would band together and stop the madness.

Reactions: jctrack
What does this mean? We need to lose 3 more players to be able to sign all the commits?
Purely by the numbers yes, but technically you don't need to be at 85 until the start of camp. It was more of a big deal to me before today, but now it looks like this will easily work itself out. It doesn't appear that there will be more than few players coming through the portal though unless this mass exodus continues.

For instance, if 5 more players leave before camp starts, 2 could be added via the portal to end up at 85. But that leaves no room for the old walk-on gets a scholie twitter video gag.

I'm also assumimg we started at 85 and not below which may be incorrect.

So all our transfers are on the defensive side of the ball so far. Many posters herein claiming none are big losses. I don’t know how true that is given our scarcity of experienced depth. In any case, I think some of those names are surprising given that they’re in line for considerable playing time. Are these names drawing that much NIL $ interest.

And no transfers on the offensive side of the ball. I guess they were all happy campers on offense, they can’t just be waiting to see who the OC is going to be.

The beauty of the transfer portal is that you can turn over a bad roster quickly. The ugly of the transfer portal is that you need a capable coach and money to get good replacement parts.
But players not good enough to start for a 3-9 team should move on. Many starters on a 3-9 team aren't good enough and should move on.

I'd substitute the word "most" for your word "many" and it would be accurate. Practically this entire team and coaching staff needs replaced. And we need to face the reality that next year may be worse than this year as far as wins.

In the last hour...

I watched the Cover 3 Podcast, and they were talking about Indiana having $3M to spend in NIL this season, which is "more than bottom half ACC teams" (I assume we fall into that category.

I read Chris Peak's tweet saying 85% of these transfers are NIL related.

Jimmy V's speech happened to be on the TV--the part where he is asking for funds to cure cancer.

Kind of puts things in perspective. I wish fans would band together and stop the madness.

Me too. This NIL madness has ruined college sports and made it more than it is. Send the money to help cure cancer, or Alzheimers, or MS, or infant mortality. If you have that kind of money to send to a corrupt sports piggy bank for kids, you may have your priorities a bit misplaced.

Me too. This NIL madness has ruined college sports and made it more than it is. Send the money to help cure cancer, or Alzheimers, or MS, or infant mortality. If you have that kind of money to send to a corrupt sports piggy bank for kids, you may have your priorities a bit misplaced.
You are allowed to donate to Pitt athletics/NIL and other good causes as well.

You are allowed to donate to Pitt athletics/NIL and other good causes as well.
The biggest problem with this is that people get tapped out quickly. Between me weekly offering at mass, to my yearly contribution to St. Jude’s, Shriners, and Wounded Warriors, there isn’t much left in the donation pot. I’d be hard pressed to cut one of those organizations to buy average players in NIL.

The biggest problem with NIL is that the NCAA could have accepted the inevitable and legislated it appropriately. They didn’t, so now it’s an absolute free for all. At least bring back the transfer rules to slow some of this down.

Reactions: Parkview57
Might just be quicker and easier to track the guys not in the portal

The biggest problem with this is that people get tapped out quickly. Between me weekly offering at mass, to my yearly contribution to St. Jude’s, Shriners, and Wounded Warriors, there isn’t much left in the donation pot. I’d be hard pressed to cut one of those organizations to buy average players in NIL.

The biggest problem with NIL is that the NCAA could have accepted the inevitable and legislated it appropriately. They didn’t, so now it’s an absolute free for all. At least bring back the transfer rules to slow some of this down.
The transfer rules - as they were - would be tossed out in court now.

This is super common at any serious football program. They're processing guys out. Like Chris has said, the scholarship numbers have to work for incoming guys. So you find guys that haven't found the field (Henningham), guys that didn't end up panning out, or guys that are going to be passed up for younger players for starting time (George, Kamara). It's why John Morgan left after last year, he got passed up on the depth chart by Dayon Hayes.
Basically you tell guys who aren't going to be getting major playing time that they should find opportunities elsewhere. They only have so much eligibilty and the team only has so many open spots.

Reactions: TD_6082
If they were smart they'd go Coach Prime on this roster and kick those with no talent to the curb with no remorse. it's pro football now, these are pro teams, not "kids" or "Students'' you need to care about. They got NIL, so now accept being a pro and take being cut too.

Reactions: Dan1911
If they were smart they'd go Coach Prime on this roster and kick those with no talent to the curb with no remorse. it's pro football now, these are pro teams, not "kids" or "Students'' you need to care about. They got NIL, so now accept being a pro and take being cut too.
True. They get a better offer, they'll drop us in a sec. It's business for both sides, now.

Reactions: jctrack and Pitt79
You can only go fully Coach Prime during a new coach's first season. Otherwise you can't force them to leave, officially.

You can only go fully Coach Prime during a new coach's first season. Otherwise you can't force them to leave, officially.
Can you rescind scholarships? the way pro teams cut players; these are pro teams now. they aren't student athletes.

Can you rescind scholarships? the way pro teams cut players; these are pro teams now. they aren't student athletes.
You don't need to.
1. Pull their NIL.
2. Put them in some crappy unheated apartment in Dawson.
If that doesn't work:
3. You ensure that they flunk out by failing their fake classes.

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79
Officially no. I'm sure there are ways around that, but it's different than what a first year coach can do, which is essentially clean house.

This is super common at any serious football program. They're processing guys out. Like Chris has said, the scholarship numbers have to work for incoming guys. So you find guys that haven't found the field (Henningham), guys that didn't end up panning out, or guys that are going to be passed up for younger players for starting time (George, Kamara). It's why John Morgan left after last year, he got passed up on the depth chart by Dayon Hayes.
Basically you tell guys who aren't going to be getting major playing time that they should find opportunities elsewhere. They only have so much eligibilty and the team only has so many open spots.
Yep. But I would also assume that a number of underclassman they would like to keep around and plans for in the future will hit the portal next week.

Reactions: jctrack
North Carolina State finished 9-3 and have ELEVEN players in the portal.

I think the players that have 1 or 2 years of eligibility remaining are in the portal to get paid…

Entering the portal only means you can be contacted by other schools. Allows you to see if you can find something better or more NIL. Doesn’t guarantee you will or that you have to leave if that school wants you back.

Entering the portal only means you can be contacted by other schools. Allows you to see if you can find something better or more NIL. Doesn’t guarantee you will or that you have to leave if that school wants you back.

There's nothing stopping anyone from contacting players before they enter the portal. In fact, Bart was talking about weighing the offers he already has. It doesn't have to be the school, so the rule means nothing.

There's nothing stopping anyone from contacting players before they enter the portal. In fact, Bart was talking about weighing the offers he already has. It doesn't have to be the school, so the rule means nothing.

And Zay Flowers said he had very lucrative offers despite never being in the portal

Yeah true, it’s to be the rule but there’s so many ways to get messages out to players. High school coaches, trainers, friends of friends, kids handlers so a lot of decisions are made already and the portal window doesn’t open until 12/4

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT