ADVERTISEMENT

Schedule change

Ryno53

Redshirt
Gold Member
Jan 28, 2013
Penn match this Friday cancelled due to Covid issues on penn side. New match vs Army Sunday. Army is a good team so should be a good match. Little bummed since I now can’t make it there and I was excited to see some matchups vs Penn

The big match is at 157 for Pitt-Army...loads of big matches in the Michigan dual though! Fingers crossed everyone makes it to Pgh and these matches happen.

Reactions: jctrack and Ryno53
Wentzel will be tested as well, I really liked Harkins coming out of high school. Probably a year or two away still but he is talented. Whoever is starting at 149 has a chance to get a quality win as well

They better show up with some offense or Michigan is going to blow them out of the water!! I want to see aggression and attacking, not sitting back and trying to hang on it keeping it close

Reactions: Chaos and _DBHoops
They better show up with some offense or Michigan is going to blow them out of the water!! I want to see aggression and attacking, not sitting back and trying to hang on it keeping it close
Well said. If everyone wrestled like Harvey and lost I would be a lot less cranky than when they all wrestle like Curry and lose...

Finesilver from Duke won Scuffle last weekend, perfect example of how I am dying to see our guys wrestle! He was the 1 seed but most folks probably expected him to lose to #1 overall recruit Chittum in the quarters. Finesilver went out and got the W by relentlessly chasing takedowns from the whistle. I promise no one has wrestled Chittum like that in a while. He brought that aggression in every match, too. His finals match against Edmond from Mizzou is goddamn legendary if anyone has Flo. Finesilver was probably less "athletic" than every wrestler he beat.

I know expecting that from everyone is not realistic, because every wrestler has their own gameplan based on their strengths and opp weaknesses. And our staff knows how to gameplan a million times better than I do, but I doubt they are telling our wrestlers not to shoot until they're down 3-2 in the third period.

Reactions: Chaos and jctrack
Looks like we'll see Mancini at 149 for these matches. Kemerer got sent to the F&M Open with Petrucelli/Weathersby/Magin, probably due to his 0-2 last weekend. He could have a slight chance against UM? That's the one weight where they are weak this year.

Kernan has fallen off a cliff, gets pinned in army match.
Seven straight wins to start the year, and now six straight Ls. Ofc it's never this simple, but it sure seems like everything unraveled when he gave up that big lead in the last minute against Lehigh.

Seven straight wins to start the year, and now six straight Ls. Ofc it's never this simple, but it sure seems like everything unraveled when he gave up that big lead in the last minute against Lehigh.
Can't believe this is the same guy that beat Reece Heller

Other Stuff:

- Can't remember the last time Pitt started at other than 125 at home. That said, the contrast from HWT to 125 is kind of hilarious.

- Was really impressed with Harvey. That was a classic grinding Harvey win

- Am I the only one disappointed in Curry in this one? After that first takedown, it was obvious that the Army kid had nothing. Curry let him hang around. Should have been an easy tech fall.

- Love how Micky is really looking for offense this year. He is giving up more takedowns, but it's great that he is obviously attempting to address his biggest flaw. This will pay off at NCAAs

-Cole is really starting to dominate the opponents he should be dominating. After the first minute of the match, I said to myself that he was going to deck this guy. We are starting to see the Cole that we all thought we would. His knee was really holding him back last year

- Kemerer was an embarrassment. It wasn't just that he got beat physically or on the scoreboard. That dude took his soul. Thinking we might see Mancini against Mich

Reactions: lucac and _DBHoops
That's a nice win. Most of the Army lineup was solid guys rated in the 30-50 range. Started slow with a 1-0 Wentzel win and a Kernan LBF but nice performances the rest of the way. No surprise losses. Majors for Curry and Micky who both looked good/aggressive. Cole picked up his third straight pin. 💪

Slinger and Cleary won what I thought were toss-up matches, and a Cleary ranked walk-off is an awesome way to punctuate the first dual of the new year! Lots of good things here.

Reactions: persp
Can't believe this is the same guy that beat Reece Heller

Other Stuff:

- Can't remember the last time Pitt started at other than 125 at home. That said, the contrast from HWT to 125 is kind of hilarious.

- Was really impressed with Harvey. That was a classic grinding Harvey win

- Am I the only one disappointed in Curry in this one? After that first takedown, it was obvious that the Army kid had nothing. Curry let him hang around. Should have been an easy tech fall.

- Love how Micky is really looking for offense this year. He is giving up more takedowns, but it's great that he is obviously attempting to address his biggest flaw. This will pay off at NCAAs

-Cole is really starting to dominate the opponents he should be dominating. After the first minute of the match, I said to myself that he was going to deck this guy. We are starting to see the Cole that we all thought we would. His knee was really holding him back last year

- Kemerer was an embarrassment. It wasn't just that he got beat physically or on the scoreboard. That dude took his soul. Thinking we might see Mancini against Mich

Curry had majored his opponent Chauvin twice before (14-1 last time in 2020), but I think Chauvin has made some gains in the meantime. I wasn't disappointed, or overly impressed either.

Kemerer, idk, he looks like someone who shouldn't be starting for Pitt but I didn't see a lack of effort or anything. He is obv not anywhere near the level of PJO.

I wish we were seeing more of Luca/Brock during their redshirt year. I hope the reason is only travel/logistics. Would they be allowed to participate unattached in extra matches today?

WTF is going on with Nino? He has looked nonchalant these last few weeks. Both this match and against Bulsak, he just hasn't been his aggressive self. Even his setups are sloppy now. Puzzling

How was that not stalling when he jumped OUT OF BOUNDS!!!

He backpedalled OOB what, three times? One was called stalling on Nino (or if not, the wrong fist went up) and two were called action. Lmao.

It wasn't just at the end when he was ahead either, first time was in the first period when it was 2-1 and Nino trying to score again.

Reactions: Chaos
He backpedalled OOB what, three times? One was called stalling on Nino (or if not, the wrong fist went up) and two were called action. Lmao.

It wasn't just at the end when he was ahead either, first time was in the first period when it was 2-1 and Nino trying to score again.
That was annoying.

What a huge win by Cole!!! He was stronger than Micic in every scramble situation. Then the turn when he nearly decked him was just pure strength. So impressed!!!

Ladies and gentlemen, Cole Matthews has arrived!

• Love
Reactions: Chaos and _DBHoops
I was at the match. Other than Cole and Mickey, I was most impressed with Jake Slinger. He looks like a different wrestler from last year. He won easily against Army and he looked really good against Mason. I expected that match to end early, but Jake kept fighting the entire match with Mason scoring mostly from Jake’s shots. Paris is one of the all time best heavyweights. If not for Gable, Paris would have won multiple NCAA championships.

What's the deal with the tv coverage not having graphics? It sucks trying to follow the match with no score or clock. And Cole and Mickey were awesome today!

Reactions: jctrack
I wish we were seeing more of Luca/Brock during their redshirt year. I hope the reason is only travel/logistics. Would they be allowed to participate unattached in extra matches today?
Just saw that Lehigh's Nathan Taylor (who has both pinned, and been pinned by, Jake Slinger this season) has logged thirty-three matches this year so far as a redshirt. Brock and Luca combine for less than fifteen.

Not sure what to think about next weekend's Arizona State dual. They had an outbreak in Austin at their Michigan match. Their cancellation article for tonight's Iowa State dual did not mention when the team would return to action. ASU was scheduled to wrestle us Fri then Princeton Sun and it seems Princeton has their own issues just getting started now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT