ADVERTISEMENT

Shake things up - new starting line up

Pitt2006

Sophomore
Jun 19, 2018
Put out Hinson, Ish, Bub, and Twins. Austin off bench like Nike energy. Fede, Lowe, and Jeffress off bench. If no one is going to stop bigs, we need the shooting potential of twins more. The twins rarely pass up shots, for better or worse. Plenty of times last night when people didn’t want to shoot. Until Austin shows more on O, he comes off the bench. I don’t care if he had a 118 rating last night if that only equates to 5 pts in 32 minutes…

Reactions: Millerton24
PG - Bub
SG - Leggett
SF - Jeffress
PF - Hinson
C - GDG

Need Jeffress's D especially vs Clemson and need GDG's O. Hall is going to tear apart Fede anyway so might as well try to get some scoring

PG - Bub
SG - Leggett
SF - Jeffress
PF - Hinson
C - GDG

Need Jeffress's D especially vs Clemson and need GDG's O. Hall is going to tear apart Fede anyway so might as well try to get some scoring
I know his rep but is Jeffress’ D really that much better than Austin’s. Jeffress to me is just too much of an offensive deficiency to have on the floor a lot. At least Austin has some potential to score and his rebounding has been decent.

I know his rep but is Jeffress’ D really that much better than Austin’s. Jeffress to me is just too much of an offensive deficiency to have on the floor a lot. At least Austin has some potential to score and his rebounding has been decent.
Jeffress is probably a better on ball defender or positionally in space, but Austin brings a ton of value as another rim defender with Fede. He’s picked up a ton of help blocks at the rim, which is a huge bonus when you’re overall playing a little small at the wings. He’s got the rim protecting ability of a 6’9 wing with how well he can get up in the air.

Reactions: NCanton Panther
Put out Hinson, Ish, Bub, and Twins. Austin off bench like Nike energy. Fede, Lowe, and Jeffress off bench. If no one is going to stop bigs, we need the shooting potential of twins more. The twins rarely pass up shots, for better or worse. Plenty of times last night when people didn’t want to shoot. Until Austin shows more on O, he comes off the bench. I don’t care if he had a 118 rating last night if that only equates to 5 pts in 32 minutes…
Interesting but might depend on the opponent. Would likely get beat up by a team with a good athletic 3 and/or 4.

The way Fede‘s playing I’d have no issue with him coming off the bench .

It seems to me there’s an extra spark when the twins are on the floor at the same time .

Id like to be in practice to see Austin play before I’d sit him , but Pitt needs more scoring options .

No, it's not.

Which is why SMF insisting that what we need to do is play Jeffress over Austin because of defense when you know you aren't getting any offense at all from Jeffress is so funny.
They defense totally different positions , as well

Its a simple as if we make shots we can beat anyone .

No, it's not.

Which is why SMF insisting that what we need to do is play Jeffress over Austin because of defense when you know you aren't getting any offense at all from Jeffress is so funny.

Jeffress is laterally quicker and has a longer wingspan so he can guard a guard better than Austin. If Austin isnt going to score, I'd rather have Jeffress in there playing 3 on 5 on offense. Austin isnt doing anything beyond his game vs a really bad Oregon State team

Very interesting question, there’s a lot of potential alternative lineups, which after foul trouble or a few minutes, we have seen in short bursts.

If I were Capel, I would stick with our current starting lineup, but I would get Lowe more minutes, and when Fede goes out, I would bring in the twins as a “package” more often for Austin/Fede.

Starting Jeffress over Austin is idiotic, but I’m not opposed to Austin or Fede coming off the bench.

The two biggest issues for this team has been 1) not being able to get easy buckets down low, and 2) our primary ball-handler (mostly Bub) getting absolutely harassed and overmatched on offense.

For ball handling purposes, this would hopefully lead to more movement, fast breaks, more spacing, and give Bub more opportunities against slower defenders. This is the only alternative lineup I’d consider at this point:

PG- Lowe
SG- Ish
“SF”- Bub
PF- Blake
C- Fede

If you want to try Fede off the bench, I think the twins play best together and their length together makes up some for their strength, but I don’t think this lineup “fixes” either of our two main issues, and I see this lineup as extremely turnover heavy:

PG- Bub
SG- Ish
SF- JDG
PF- Blake
C- GDG

Jeffress is laterally quicker and has a longer wingspan so he can guard a guard better than Austin. If Austin isnt going to score, I'd rather have Jeffress in there playing 3 on 5 on offense. Austin isnt doing anything beyond his game vs a really bad Oregon State team

I honestly haven't followed Jeffres closely enough to know one way or the other, but he's talked about on here like he's Bruce Bowen.

I'm not Austin fan, but he seems like one of those Jaron Brown types, where his arms are actually way longer than they should be for his height.

Ultimately, I just think we're all shuffling a flawed deck and this team is a player or two short no matter how you slice it. But I would definitely go with the suggestion above with Lowe running the point and Bub playing the 3 above anything else I've seen.

I honestly haven't followed Jeffres closely enough to know one way or the other, but he's talked about on here like he's Bruce Bowen.

I'm not Austin fan, but he seems like one of those Jaron Brown types, where his arms are actually way longer than they should be for his height.

Ultimately, I just think we're all shuffling a flawed deck and this team is a player or two short no matter how you slice it. But I would definitely go with the suggestion above with Lowe running the point and Bub playing the 3 above anything else I've seen.

Maybe I am overrating his defense but a team like Clemson is going to absolutely light us up from 3 and Austin is going to score 8 points. I'd take Jeffress's 4 points and see if he can hold down Girard or Hunter

I also like this lineup with Lowe in there. Let him bring the ball up and start the offense to take some pressure off Bub. It could leave us a little more vulnerable rebounding, but, I think this lineup gives us the best chance to make real improvements as the season progresses. Having said that, we would not beat many if any teams shooting as poorly as we did against Mizzou, regardless of who is in the starting lineup.

Yes yes yes. People on here are trying to wish jeffress Mr shut down D. I'm guessing it's the people that didn't want Santos instead

Yes yes yes. People on here are trying to wish jeffress Mr shut down D. I'm guessing it's the people that didn't want Santos instead

Jeffress is a good defender, but so far Austin has been pretty good too. The gap in their respective defenses so far hasn't been as great as the difference in their offenses to this point, that's for sure.

If someone wants to make a case for starting Jeffress and bringing Austin off the bench, that case isn't based on their defense. That case would be based on the hope that Austin can find his offense more regularly and he can be your sixth man who gives you an offensive boost off the bench, similar to what Sibande did at times last year. Because right now, the guys we are bringing in off the bench have not been regular threats to score.

They defend different positions
Austin is a far better post defender for example .
Only way Austin ends up of a guard is on switches -same reason Jeffries would end up on a post .

Austin is capable of scoring , that’s the difference

They aren’t subs for each other .

They defend different positions
Austin is a far better post defender for example .
Only way Austin ends up of a guard is on switches -same reason Jeffries would end up on a post .

Austin is capable of scoring , that’s the difference

They aren’t subs for each other .

That's the point. Hinson shouldn't be guarding a guard. He isnt quick enough.

Jeffress should guard the other team's best perimeter player. Carrington/Leggett on the 2nd and 3rd best perimeter players. Hinson on the PF-ish player.

Instead, they have Carrington or Leggett on the best guard and they arent good enough on D for that. Then they have Hinson on a guard and that's not ideal. We are being torched by guards and we have some good ones coming in. We made Shawn East look like SGA.

PG - Bub
SG - Leggett
SF - Jeffress
PF - Hinson
C - GDG

Another W

I think Capel waited too long to go with this lineup. Not sure we win any of the other 3 games with it but perhaps it would have been better. I didnt watch most of the SC St game. Looked like Austin scored and Jeffress still couldn't but my hope is by playing Jeffress more, he could gain confidence and start to find some level of offensive success. I think Austin is going to have a hard time scoring against good teams and if that's the case, I'd play Jeffress more on the other team's best guard.

GDG for Fede had to happen. Fede has definitely regressed this year and GDG has more upside. Unfortunately, you have to now worry about a transfer with Fede as guys who lose starting jobs start looking elsewhere but that may not be the worst thing. We may need some roster space to hit the portal hard next year.

Another W

I think Capel waited too long to go with this lineup. Not sure we win any of the other 3 games with it but perhaps it would have been better. I didnt watch most of the SC St game. Looked like Austin scored and Jeffress still couldn't but my hope is by playing Jeffress more, he could gain confidence and start to find some level of offensive success. I think Austin is going to have a hard time scoring against good teams and if that's the case, I'd play Jeffress more on the other team's best guard.

GDG for Fede had to happen. Fede has definitely regressed this year and GDG has more upside. Unfortunately, you have to now worry about a transfer with Fede as guys who lose starting jobs start looking elsewhere but that may not be the worst thing. We may need some roster space to hit the portal hard next year.
Lol I was the first person to say GDG for Fede and it was after game 2. Just not on this thread. So correct, another W… for me

Another W

As long as they hold onto their other bigs, a Fede transfer this offseason isn't going to hurt.

As long as they hold onto their other bigs, a Fede transfer this offseason isn't going to hurt.
I would be surprised if he transferred. He loves Pittsburgh, Pitt and his teammates. As long as he has some sort of role I think he’ll just keep working and stay. A senior Fede coming off the bench who is happy and gives you everything for a few mins at a time are what great programs have and a team that can make a deep run have.

I would be surprised if he transferred. He loves Pittsburgh, Pitt and his teammates. As long as he has some sort of role I think he’ll just keep working and stay. A senior Fede coming off the bench who is happy and gives you everything for a few mins at a time are what great programs have and a team that can make a deep run have.

Would anything surprise you nowadays? Yea, Fede seems like a great kid and one that would be more likely to accept his role but absolutely nothing would surprise me.

Another W

What the heck is it with this W and L thing? This is a message board.

What the heck is it with this W and L thing? This is a message board.
SMF tries to count wins or losses v me on opinions. It is amazing how his opinions are never wrong, there was some mitigating circumstance or some way he was actually correct. He is the Donald Trump of this board.

He still thinks May Madness was a “W”

SMF tries to count wins or losses v me on opinions. It is amazing how his opinions are never wrong, there was some mitigating circumstance or some way he was actually correct. He is the Donald Trump of this board.

He still thinks May Madness was a “W”
I do hope no one is keeping score on any of my takes over the years. It would be an ugly percentage I’m sure.

Make sense for him to try it, but need a bigger sample size. I still think they need Fede/Austin to be the better duo this year. Maybe this way will get it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT