ADVERTISEMENT

Sheetz 🌭

Doing a bit of digging
It does appear Detroit was the original - founded in 1917
The new castle pa MP Coney started in 1923
But you can buy their chili
Actually, the original meat-only chili dog style is Texas Hot Dogs in Altoona, PA circa 1918.

Exactly same type of beef chilly as Coney Dogs in Detroit (which aren't really the same in Coney Island).

Reactions: pittdan77
Just read the other day that Sheetz is expanding into metro Detroit. I've never even seen one before that I'm aware of. what are we in for?

Kids are eating healthier nowadays and know a lot about nutrition. The neighborhood kid that lives across the street from us graduated from Pitt May 2020. He told me that in his 4 years at Pitt, he and his roommates never went to the O.
No way the O closed because of that.

Actually, the original meat-only chili dog style is Texas Hot Dogs in Altoona, PA circa 1918.

Exactly same type of beef chilly as Coney Dogs in Detroit (which aren't really the same in Coney Island).

please...don't give me some 1918 Johnny-come-lately's from Altoona that didn't even stay open when you were drunk at 3am...

The "chili" on coney dogs is pretty much the same type of meat sauce you'll find in moussaka and pastitsio, most coney islands/diners use the same stuff for all three.
Not really, the sauce in the New Castle chili is runny and liquified because it cooks so long, in moussaka and pastitsio it's still larger chunks like crumbled burger.

Not really, the sauce in the New Castle chili is runny and liquified because it cooks so long, in moussaka and pastitsio it's still larger chunks like crumbled burger.
I live in the Detroit area and most of the Coney's near me have the thicker chili.

Reactions: Pitt79
I live in the Detroit area and most of the Coney's near me have the thicker chili.
I'm getting the sense that the difference is that one is more like sloppy joe and the other is runnier like pasta sauce.

Just read the other day that Sheetz is expanding into metro Detroit. I've never even seen one before that I'm aware of. what are we in for?
A convenience store that needs to seriously upgrade its food offerings. It’s been on a steady decline.

Anybody from the NY area? Sabrett’s on a poppy hard roll.

To my knowledge you can’t get them anymore. They still have Sabrett stands, but the hot dogs and rolls are different.

I'm a bit confused. Where in New Castle? I heard my wife's aunt talk about HD's in New Castle but it sounded like back in the '60's?
I haven't been there in 10 years, but there is MP Coney Island, Bill's Sandwich Shop for sure, also in Elwood City there's Red Hot Restaurant, PO Lunch in NC was another, I think it closed. A lot of the old Greeks have retired and died off and a lot of places from back in the day closed. MP Coney Island is expanding though, they are opening new locations. I believe the one downtown closed, but there's one in Neshannock Twp, they're opening a new one in Shenango. I think there's a Bill's Sandwich Shop in Beaver Falls too?

Reactions: Parkview57
I'm a bit confused. Where in New Castle? I heard my wife's aunt talk about HD's in New Castle but it sounded like back in the '60's?
No it’s now too, jimmys, 1 brand new cony island being built, and one existing cony, 2 bills hotdog shops, all really great

Have had some great hot dogs at golf courses.
In the south you can get a chili dog with mustard onions and coleslaw…..delightful…
My favorite dirty O dog was sauerkraut onions mustard and pickle. Can still taste that crunch….
Bardines in Crabtree sell tasty dogs. Make my own creations at home.

The O didn't own the building.

It was old, disgusting, needed a of work. Rent was high.

The owner and his sister didn't love people or the business like their father did.

I'm sure kids eating healthier didn't help but that wasn't the demise.

The cost of doing business was sling up and the profits were going down commiserate with the work involved.

They were/are not involved with Brighton Dogs.

What? Sheetz is like the Chik Fil A of convenience store cuisine. I dined at GetGo this week and it made me feel bad about myself.

If Sheetz is the Chik Fil A of convenience stores Then Buckeyes is the Mortons Steak House of Convenience stores.

Just got two dogs at sheetz because of this thread. They are 1.00 per dog. The catch is cheese is .75 cents. So for me 1.75 x2.

I haven't been there in 10 years, but there is MP Coney Island, Bill's Sandwich Shop for sure, also in Elwood City there's Red Hot Restaurant, PO Lunch in NC was another, I think it closed. A lot of the old Greeks have retired and died off and a lot of places from back in the day closed. MP Coney Island is expanding though, they are opening new locations. I believe the one downtown closed, but there's one in Neshannock Twp, they're opening a new one in Shenango. I think there's a Bill's Sandwich Shop in Beaver Falls too?
Yes. The Coney Island downtown NC closed. Building has been for sale for years. As you said Bill’s and Coney in the townships. PO Lunch closed, I believe because of illness to owner. In the PO location in Neshannock Twp. Lindy’s Lunch opened and has dogs. Owned, I believe, by the daughter of legendary NCHS football coach, Lindy Lauro. I ate there last night. Good dog.

Last edited:
With all the closings, what exactly IS open in New Castle in terms.of dogs and is it worth a trip from 1,5 hours away?

Chi's Chi's was awesome went it first hit the scene. Literally one of the first (after Franklin Inn and Tequila Junction) Mexican places in the area. But like most places, things started to slip, food quality went down, and this was the final straw

I would KILL to eat some chichis right now. Just their steamed Tortillas in the little warmer were awesome.

With all the closings, what exactly IS open in New Castle in terms.of dogs and is it worth a trip from 1,5 hours away?
Downtown NC proper, nothing really. Speedway. Maybe Jimmy’s. IDK never been in there. A few miles from downtown. In Neshannock Twp. Bill’s, MPCI, Lindy’s Lunch. Shenango Twp. Bill’s and MPCI under construction. Union Twp. Bills. Also in the Twp’s Pizza Joe’s but that could be it’s own thread.

Worth a 1.5 hour drive??? Maybe on a motorcycle and tie in McConnells Mill State Park, Moraine State Park, drive through Amish country and Volant, PA. Have a drink at a new distillery in New Castle (I have not tried it yet), or a beer at North Country Brew Pub in Slippery Rock, or TimberCreek in Grove City.

I’m heading to NYC as we speak. Their dogs are unmatched and only the o held a candle.

The papaya king is fantastic

my first convenience store coffee was at a WAWA in Stone Harbor NJ while on vacation. Might have been the summer of 1975. I was blown away with all the things you could get at that convenience store. I dont know what was going on in pittsburgh at that time except maybe 7/11 stores were starting to pop up.

Who Knew ?

Best hot dog for me is at the Chicago Char Dog at Midway airport.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT