ADVERTISEMENT

Soccer RPI

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
So, we beat then #21 Syracuse, then #13 Columbia and then #7 Notre Dame, and move up to #13 in the RPI. Then, we lose to #10 UVA on their field in double overtime and we drop to #21. Someone is going to have to ‘splain that to me because it appears that result would have established that #13 was right on the money.

So, we beat then #21 Syracuse, then #13 Columbia and then #7 Notre Dame, and move up to #13 in the RPI. Then, we lose to #10 UVA on their field in double overtime and we drop to #21. Someone is going to have to ‘splain that to me because it appears that result would have established that #13 was right on the money.

Its a mathematical formula. Win 2 home games and we're in.

I would be curious to know how the math accounts for draws though.

Draws are half a win and half a loss, just like they would be if you were computing winning percentage.

One difference between the RPI for soccer as opposed to basketball is that in soccer there actually are small bonuses given above and beyond the "standard formula" for beating or drawing against top teams and small penalties given for losing or drawing against bad teams. Anyone who has access to all the results could figure out basketball RPIs really easily, for soccer it's not that simple, and the NCAA doesn't actually tell people what the adjustments are. You can kind of reverse engineer them, but they can also change them whenever they want without telling anyone what the change was.

Draws are half a win and half a loss, just like they would be if you were computing winning percentage.

One difference between the RPI for soccer as opposed to basketball is that in soccer there actually are small bonuses given above and beyond the "standard formula" for beating or drawing against top teams and small penalties given for losing or drawing against bad teams. Anyone who has access to all the results could figure out basketball RPIs really easily, for soccer it's not that simple, and the NCAA doesn't actually tell people what the adjustments are. You can kind of reverse engineer them, but they can also change them whenever they want without telling anyone what the change was.

What do you think Pitt needs to do to get in.

What do you think Pitt needs to do to get in.

I think at least two more wins and maybe three. It would be good to win the game this weekend to maybe move up a little in the conference pecking order. A win tonight or in the conference tournament would be a win against a good opponent, so one of those would help.

You would think that multiple wins against the top 20 would be enough to get in.

But if we only win one more game we will end up 9-9 (assuming no ties). Maybe it will be enough, but I have a hard time believe a team with no soccer pedigree like Pitt could end the year with a .500 record and still make the tournament. I'd be worried at two more wins, which would get us to 10-8 or 10-9 or 10-10 depending on when the second win comes, would not be enough.

You would think that multiple wins against the top 20 would be enough to get in.

But if we only win one more game we will end up 9-9 (assuming no ties). Maybe it will be enough, but I have a hard time believe a team with no soccer pedigree like Pitt could end the year with a .500 record and still make the tournament. I'd be worried at two more wins, which would get us to 10-8 or 10-9 or 10-10 depending on when the second win comes, would not be enough.

"Soccer pedigree" isn't going to factor in at all. I doubt these AD's even know who has beem historically good and who hasn't. With the loss to Akron tonight, we probably need to beat VT and win the first ACCT game. However, if we lose that ACCT game, I still think there's a chance we get in at 9-9.

I doubt these AD's even know who has beem historically good and who hasn't.

I would guess that you are 100% incorrect on this. Do you really think that the people on the soccer committee not only don't know anything about college soccer but they also don't take the time to acquaint themselves with the game? Really?

Yes, I do believe that. These AD's have 80 hour/week jobs. They get together for a weekend, pull up the RPI ranks and pick the field. I highly doubt they are watching streaming games on their phone to scout teams and are well versed in college soccer history.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT