ADVERTISEMENT

Some positives?

CrazyPaco

Athletic Director
Jul 5, 2001
Sharing thoughts on a message board may be cathartic, but certainly drifts somewhere between egotism and inanity. Anyway, my thoughts on the last 24 hours:

• If reports are true that Pitt was able to muster a $2m match, not to mention find a way to keep two defensive players in the fold, well then Pitt is not planning to quietly slink away and accept a place in lower or middling tier of collegiate competition.

• If the above bullet is true, my fellow Panthers, that is a much bigger development than any one player leaving for one semester of work.

• If Pitt is not packing it in, well, my fellow Panthers, neither should you. We're still in the fight. It may not be the good fight, but we're still in it.

• Still, there is no doubting it sucks that Pitt football is on the wrong end of this historic transaction just as it appears to be awakening from a 40 year slumber.

• If you are holding your breath for the NCAA to get involved in shoving this genie back in its bottle, you are about to asphyxiate yourself. State legislatures started this and basically told the NCAA to "shove off; we're in control now." The NCAA has no real ability to do anything anymore.

• As Addison has clearly demonstrated, these are professional players now. Direct payment of players, players being employees, this is already here and it is full steam ahead, and everything else is just technicalities and semantics.

• There's no use mourning what now is, and what will never again be. There have been many "new eras" in the history of football the last 100 years. Time to embrace it and take advantage of it, just like Miami is doing, or get permanently left behind, like the Fordhams of the 1940s. If Pitt can match a $2m offer, then it can become a predator in some regards too. Pitt should not take some moral high ground on the issue like in the 1940s and 1980s which resulted in wrecking its then elite-status programs. History should be a guide here. Pitt likes to repeat history. Time to break that cycle of self-abuse.

• California is getting close to passing a law that would permit college players to be payed based on the amount of profit a program generates. It includes many caveats to those payments. But just like Florida being the first state to pass an NIL law, which now finds itself behind the 8-ball because subsequent states passed much less restrictive legislation, I'd watch for other states to follow CA in passing much less restrictive versions in the name of equitable competitiveness.

• Of course, all these payments and freedom of movement have already resulted in gun-for-hire, free agency that is found in no other professional sport. Remember, we are only in year two of this new era. But no one should be surprised how fast this progressed. It was obvious to anyone that had paid attention to college athletics for any length of time.

• I hope the brain trust at Alliance 412 has already started thinking about creating a long-term war chest and how to bring as many supporters into the fold as possible. Seriously, forget the on-campus stadium you-know-who-you-ares. It is a professional sport now; Pitt needs a major war chest to buy players, just like USC and Miami.

• With professional employment, comes contracts, buy-outs, penalty clauses....that may be the only thing that will reign this wild west in.

• So, can you start loading NIL contracts with look-ins, bonuses, non-complete clauses, penalties, etc? Can such things be enforced? Will NIL conglomerates or universities have a stomach to go after those that break contracts when they clearly haven't had that fortitude in the coaching world? I don't know, and lawyers would need to weigh in. But if you are bringing in a 2 or 3 star nobody and developing them into an All-American, I'd certainly be tempted, if I were an NIL organization, to tie them up at the school for the length of their eligibility starting with the contract they sign going into their freshman year.

• However, I can't see eligibility rules surviving in an era of professionalism very long.

• If eligibility rules dissolve, combined with contracts apparently already surpassing NFL rookie deals, then how does the NFL not start looking at college football as a competitor? Might Saturday NFL football be coming in the future? I will say this, thank goodness Pitt and the Steelers have a long history of cordial cooperation. In a hypothetical future where there was competition between college and NFL, those ties could either destroy Pitt or save it.

Last edited:
CFB players will soon unionize and the sport will morph into a semi-pro league. It’ll prob break into an elite league with paid players/players union and everyone else in a FCS true amateur division.

Sharing thoughts on a message board may be cathartic, but certainly drifts somewhere between egotism and inanity. Anyway, my thoughts on the last 24 hours:

• If reports are true that Pitt was able to muster a $2m match, not to mention find a way to keep two defensive players in the fold, well then Pitt is not planning to quietly slink away and accept a place in lower or middling tier of collegiate competition.

• If the above bullet is true, my fellow Panthers, that is a much bigger development than any one player leaving for one semester of work.

• If Pitt is not packing it in, well, my fellow Panthers, neither should you. We're still in the fight. It may not be the good fight, but we're still in it.

• Still, there is no doubting it sucks that Pitt football is on the wrong end of this historic transaction just as it appears to be awakening from a 40 year slumber.

• If you are holding your breath for the NCAA to get involved in shoving this genie back in its bottle, you are about to asphyxiate yourself. State legislatures started this and basically told the NCAA to "shove off; we're in control now." The NCAA has no real ability to do anything anymore.

• As Addison has clearly demonstrated, these are professional players now. Direct payment of players, players being employees, this is already here and it is full steam ahead, and everything else is just technicalities and semantics.

• There's no use mourning what now is, and what will never again be. There have been many "new eras" in the history of football the last 100 years. Time to embrace it and take advantage of it, just like Miami is doing, or get permanently left behind, like the Fordhams of the 1940s. If Pitt can match a $2m offer, then it can become a predator in some regards too. Pitt should not take some moral high ground on the issue like in the 1940s and 1980s which resulted in wrecking its then elite-status programs. History should be a guide here. Pitt likes to repeat history. Time to break that cycle of self-abuse.

• California is getting close to passing a law that would permit college players to be payed based on the amount of profit a program generates. It includes many caveats to those payments. But just like Florida being the first state to pass an NIL law, which now finds itself behind the 8-ball because subsequent states passed much less restrictive legislation, I'd watch for other states to follow CA in passing much less restrictive versions in the name of equitable competitiveness.

• Of course, all these payments and freedom of movement have already resulted in gun-for-hire, free agency that is found in no other professional sport. Remember, we are only in year two of this new era. But no one should be surprised how fast this progressed. It was obvious to anyone that had paid attention to college athletics for any length of time.

• I hope the brain trust at Alliance 412 has already started thinking about creating a long-term war chest and how to bring as many supporters into the fold as possible. Seriously, forget the on-campus stadium you-know-who-you-ares. It is a professional sport now; Pitt needs a major war chest to buy players, just like USC and Miami.

• With professional employment, comes contracts, buy-outs, penalty clauses....that may be the only thing that will reign this wild west in.

• So, can you start loading NIL contracts with look-ins, bonuses, non-complete clauses, penalties, etc. Can such things be enforced? Will NIL conglomerates or universities have a stomach to go after those that break contracts when they clearly haven't had that fortitude in the coaching world? I don't know, and lawyers would need to weigh in. But if you are bringing in a 2 or 3 star nobody and developing them into an All-American, I'd certainly be tempted, if I were an NIL organization, to tie them up at the school for the length of their eligibility starting with the contract they sign going into their freshman year.

• However, I can't see eligibility rules surviving in an era of professionalism very long.

• If eligibility rules dissolve, combined with contracts apparently already surpassing NFL rookie deals, then how does the NFL not start looking at college football as a competitor? Might Saturday NFL football be coming in the future? I will say this, thank goodness Pitt and the Steelers have a long history of cordial cooperation. In a hypothetical future where there was competition between college and NFL, those ties could either destroy Pitt or save it.
Good points all. However, there is no organization (eg NCAA) to make rules anymore. That framework will be made between a collective bargaining unit, players Union) and collectives/universities. Until that happens, we’re in the Wild West

CFB players will soon unionize and the sport will morph into a semi-pro league. It’ll prob break into an elite league with paid players/players union and everyone else in a FCS true amateur division.
That is a likely scenario.

With a unionized league, it will be more pro than semi-pro. I don't think there will be anything "semi" about it.

Which will Pitt end up in? Have to be honest, I am surprised by reports we tried to match $2 million. Seems we want to stay among the top.

Any "true amateur" division, if at all popular, I see it likely, at some point, to end up with the same issues of compensation. Where there is any high level of competition, there always a drive to win by at least pushing the envelope if not outright cheating. College football still had cheating scandles 70 years ago, and it was "amateur".

For the sake of all parties and fans, they can’t unionize fast enough!!

All this makes me wonder if high school players begin to ask for payment as part of the ticket sales and high school tshirts that their districts sell. I love capitalism but this just sucks.

Good post overall Paco. You raise an interesting point in your post. You said that Pitt “can become a predator in some regards” if it has the capability of raising $2M in such a short time frame. Do you anticipate Pitt being proactive with these types of financial resources or simply using them as defensive measures? So far, Pitt has been playing by the book when it comes to linking players with legitimate NIL opportunities, whether it be current players or incoming recruits. Will be an interesting development on that front…

All this makes me wonder if high school players begin to ask for payment as part of the ticket sales and high school tshirts that their districts sell. I love capitalism but this just sucks.
NIL deals are popping all over the place in High Schools. Google it. Why not?

That would probably take parents getting involved. Parents wouldn't see $ and get involved with such a thing, would they? Naahhhh.

It does make me wonder, with the just-go-get-yours mentality pervading and trickling down to lower levels, as it has clearly now pervading the college ranks, what happens to sports being this bastion of life lessons; the model of teamwork and overcoming obstacles for one's life beyond sports? Hope everyone gets enough of those lessons by the end of elementary school.

Good post overall Paco. You raise an interesting point in your post. You said that Pitt “can become a predator in some regards” if it has the capability of raising $2M in such a short time frame. Do you anticipate Pitt being proactive with these types of financial resources or simply using them as defensive measures? So far, Pitt has been playing by the book when it comes to linking players with legitimate NIL opportunities, whether it be current players or incoming recruits. Will be an interesting development on that front…

Do I anticipate? I have no idea. Pitt's history is littered with the carnage of shooting itself in the foot in the name of integrity.

I think the jury is out. Maybe this will be a wake up call. Honestly, in my personal opinion, at this point, its time start playing the same game that others are clearly playing...others that are in the Coastal might I add...and stop with any pretenses. But who knows what will happen, as it isn't even entirely up to the school. It's up to the boosters with the $ to make it happen. But even Yoda couldn't predict the future.

That is a likely scenario.

With a unionized league, it will be more pro than semi-pro. I don't think there will be anything "semi" about it.

Which will Pitt end up in? Have to be honest, I am surprised by reports we tried to match $2 million. Seems we want to stay among the top.

Any "true amateur" division, if at all popular, I see it likely, at some point, to end up with the same issues of compensation. Where there is any high level of competition, there always a drive to win by at least pushing the envelope if not outright cheating. College football still had cheating scandles 70 years ago, and it was "amateur".
Exactly, If the number on Addison are correct, he is going to make alot more money than many NFL players. There is nothing "semi" pro about that.

And now.........I AM FREE TO BOO THESE PROS INTO IMPUNITY IF I SO CHOOSE. They are getting paid. So I never ever want to hear anyone chastising anyone else for booing "student athletes". These are hire for pay mercenaries.

BOO! BOOOOOOO! BOOOOOOOOO!!!

That would probably take parents getting involved. Parents wouldn't see $ and get involved with such a thing, would they? Naahhhh.

It does make me wonder, with the just-go-get-yours mentality pervading and trickling down to lower levels, as it has clearly now pervading the college ranks, what happens to sports being this bastion of life lessons; the model of teamwork and overcoming obstacles for one's life beyond sports? Hope everyone gets enough of those lessons by the end of elementary school.
Honestly? Those purported “lessons” were bs vs doing best for you and your family. No?

Honestly? Those purported “lessons” were bs vs doing best for you and your family. No?
If one's philosophy centers primarily around only doing what is beneficial for oneself, financially or otherwise, in any particular situation, then I just have a different concept of what life is about than such a person.

That isn't to say someone shouldn't look out for themselves at some level, but that is not what everything is, or can be, about.

I completely understand that not everyone shares that philosophy.

Reactions: ThePanthers
If one's philosophy centers primarily around only doing what is beneficial for oneself, financially or otherwise, in any particular situation, then I just have a different concept of what life is about than such a person.

That isn't to say someone shouldn't look out for themselves at some level, but that is not what everything is, or can be, about.

I completely understand that not everyone shares that philosophy.
Honestly, very few I suspect (based on NIL legislation in states and decisional law from all courts).

Just spitballing without thinking it truly through....

Could pitt from here on out offer a sort of "Grant of rights" deal with their scholarships. Pay kids a flat salary of say 50,000, allow them to make their own NIL deals and keep whatever they want, but if they transfer they have to give back the money to pitt.

Could pitt from here on out offer a sort of "Grant of rights" deal with their scholarships. Pay kids a flat salary of say 50,000, allow them to make their own NIL deals and keep whatever they want, but if they transfer they have to give back the money to pitt.
Hmmm. Interesting thought. Answer is we just don’t know at this time. All I can observe is that a university suing a player to get back the $50k does not have a good look. Just MO.

Hmmm. Interesting thought. Answer is we just don’t know at this time. All I can observe is that a university suing a player to get back the $50k does not have a good look. Just MO.
They aren't a player though anymore. They are an employee

Reactions: APanther

Pitt can't, but an NIL organization could pay them cash. This is already going on a BYU where every walk-on is getting an NIL deal.

Could NIL deals be contingent on finishing one's eligibility at Pitt? I don't know why not, but I'm not a lawyer and have no idea how easy that type of contract would be to enforce.

For right now, all these payments have to happen through an unaffiliated third party, like 412 Alliance.

As of this time in the Wild West, if you will, anything goes. There are no rules other than common law (contracts, etc.).

Sure. I can’t imagine it wouldn’t be possible to a certain extent.

Good luck with that. You’ll get very few, if any, 3 stars.

I believe a lot of NIL already have those types of incentives in place. For example, I think the deal that Ewers either had at Ohio State or now has at Texas requires him to stay there for a certain amount of years. There may even be performance-based incentives as well, but don’t quote me on that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT