ADVERTISEMENT

Stillers - Browns

I didn't watch today but Kenny's 13-29 looks bad. What was up with that?
Not his best game. On plays where he stayed in the pocket, there were a lot of high throws. And, of course, a bunch of drops. He still made the plays when he needed to make to them—especially on the Steelers’ final drive, where he helped them convert a few to third and longs.

Depends who's sitting there when it's your pick.
So, if the best player sitting there is a QB, or a RB, you're saying take him??
Steeler's most certainly will go OL or DL with first pick.
Or cb. I don't think they take a dl actually their biggest dl issue is probably dt and that's a spot where they won't likely pick a guy at pick 18 who would basically play half the downs. Think that's a spot they can fill in round two or three. Would bet it's ot or cb in round one with a outside shot at guard or wr.

Winning games is all that matters.
Once the team came together behind Pickett and the O line played better, the Steelers are like 6-1.

Breaking in a rookie QB, that is a good season. Next season should be better.
Tomlin's record is incidental, but the record is the record, and he owns it.

I actually think this season was one of Tomlins better coaching jobs. The whole winning season thing is pretty meaningless but the team is going in the right direction heading into next season. It’s all undone if he keeps Canada.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
Went down to the game today. Kind of left feeling unsatisfied - mostly due to Kennie's performance. Although it was arguably a better down game than some of Ben's, which included some magnificent throws and multiple interceptions. But I didn't think he saw the field all that well and haven't seen him miss high by that much before.

Kind of a confusing season. There are an unbelievable amount of bad/mediocre teams in the league this year. And we beat some (usually by a very small amount) and lost to some. Offseason should be a wild one compared to what we're used to seeing.

It wasn't bad.

3 drops by Johnson... one completion to Pickens that was erroneously called out of bounds.

It was really a 17-29 day.

He also converted five 3rd-and-8 or longer in the game.

Don't be one of those guys who judges a performance only by the box score. You have to watch the game.

There was a game earlier in the year where Kenny was 32-for-44... and he was worse in that game than today... much worse.

Went down to the game today. Kind of left feeling unsatisfied - mostly due to Kennie's performance. Although it was arguably a better down game than some of Ben's, which included some magnificent throws and multiple interceptions. But I didn't think he saw the field all that well and haven't seen him miss high by that much before.

Kind of a confusing season. There are an unbelievable amount of bad/mediocre teams in the league this year. And we beat some (usually by a very small amount) and lost to some. Offseason should be a wild one compared to what we're used to seeing.
Why would it be wild? A team many predicted to finish last in the division and were well on their way to a losing season end up on a great run and a winning record and almost in the playoffs? Super young core at QB, RB and WR. Pretty decent defense. Why would the Steelers make many changes at all? I suspect with what amounts to two first round picks they can choose to address a perceived weakness or two. But beyond that I think the off-season will be very bland.

Why would it be wild? A team many predicted to finish last in the division and were well on their way to a losing season end up on a great run and a winning record and almost in the playoffs? Super young core at QB, RB and WR. Pretty decent defense. Why would the Steelers make many changes at all? I suspect with what amounts to two first round picks they can choose to address a perceived weakness or two. But beyond that I think the off-season will be very bland.
Disagree somewhat based on post game tv show. Lots of free agency to address internally and lots of cap space for extensions and attracting freeagents. Some small talk regarding Pickett’s rookie contract being reworked. Tomlin and the new guy upstairs Omar may look for weapons for KP even tho they have the IR speedster coming back. HCMT has always been enamored with the Ravens style of roster-build but look what Cincy has done for QB Joe sans a great OL.

I didn’t see today’s game but seeing posts in this thread during the game and looking at stats (13-29 for 195), doesn’t sound like KP played that great today.

Also noted in the stats, DJ only 2 completions on 10 targets. Not good.

KP was pretty inaccurate but wasn’t helped by drops. DJ had several bad ones. Luckily the line and running game was able to carry most of the load.

no bigger KP fan than me, he had some throws sail on him. missed a couple open wrs. a few drops like everyone said. not a great performance, not terrible but not great.

just another game under his belt in his development. And he is learning to win games, as our the steelers. something that i really do believe is important for a young team.

Just need to find a good OC and a QB coach to work with him. Remember, he was getting third string reps in summer camp. Having him work with the starters in summer will be huge for him.. The future is bright i believe.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Going into the season, and hell in the middle of the season where I thought it would be impossible, I would have said going 9-8 and missing the playoffs is the very worst result for this season. I mean, "winning" season, and no playoffs is useless.

This team was aided by a 2nd half schedule that was easier than a Big 10 OOC schedule. But.....this season was all about the QB once Kenny got in. So Kenny got OTJ experience and reps. Not just reps, but he got reps in a playoff hunt, which I would like to think helps accelerate his development. Look at Trevor Lawrence from Year 1 to Year 2. Josh Allen. Mahomes. Hell, Aaron Rodgers didn't play for a few years.

So all in all, I think you can take that from this year as a good result.

This is the only option I would consider as far as trading up. At draft time, I prefer to move back if possible to accumulate more picks. Since the Steelers usually aren't very active in free agency, they were last year, I like more picks.

Maybe under the new management team they will change their approach. We will see.
You mean without Big Ben’s contract eating up over a third of the salary cap

Going into the season, and hell in the middle of the season where I thought it would be impossible, I would have said going 9-8 and missing the playoffs is the very worst result for this season. I mean, "winning" season, and no playoffs is useless.

This team was aided by a 2nd half schedule that was easier than a Big 10 OOC schedule. But.....this season was all about the QB once Kenny got in. So Kenny got OTJ experience and reps. Not just reps, but he got reps in a playoff hunt, which I would like to think helps accelerate his development. Look at Trevor Lawrence from Year 1 to Year 2. Josh Allen. Mahomes. Hell, Aaron Rodgers didn't play for a few years.

So all in all, I think you can take that from this year as a good result.
Upside is the offense is all rookies and second year players
It’s a really young group that grew leaps and bounds
Hell - Connor Heyward , who everyone thought was a wasted pick- filled in for friemuth amazingly

He was a bit too amped in the first half and pretty inaccurate. Throws were coming in too hot at times and sailed at other times. He improved quite a bit as the game went on and he settled down. There were drops, mainly by Johnson, a botched call by the officials on a legit sideline catch by Pickens, and a couple incompletions that probably would have been completed if not for PI.

Well I'm glad you're not the GM. We didn't belong on the same field as Buffalo or Philadelphia.

We've got three fairly high draft picks; we have cap space, which has been a rarity for this team; we may or may not hold on to the OC; we have some high-earners nearing the ends of their contracts. By Steelers standards, that's pretty wild.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
He was a bit too amped in the first half and pretty inaccurate. Throws were coming in too hot at times and sailed at other times. He improved quite a bit as the game went on and he settled down. There were drops, mainly by Johnson, a botched call by the officials on a legit sideline catch by Pickens, and a couple incompletions that probably would have been completed if not for PI.

Game plays out much differently had Tomlin challenged the missed TD early on. I don’t know who he has watching those plays from upstairs but they need to have their eyes checked. He probably expected to be able to punch it in but we saw how that went.

Game plays out much differently had Tomlin challenged the missed TD early on. I don’t know who he has watching those plays from upstairs but they need to have their eyes checked. He probably expected to be able to punch it in but we saw how that went.

He has to be trolling people at this point. He constantly elects not to challenge plays he should and challenges ones that clearly have no chance. There's no way he can seriously be this bad at it.

I'd love to see a comparison of Picketts stats throwing to Johnson compared to any other pass catcher. I'm warming up to the idea of trading him. It doesn't matter if he gets open if the results are as bad as they've been.

Steelers needs:

1) OC
2) Additions to the Coaching Staff like a "Quality Control" guy who can advise Tomlin on replays, etc.......
3) They have the 17th, 32nd and 49th picks in the upcoming draft. Need OL, DL, ILB, CB, WR
4) Have cap room, sign a couple of FA's to plug into some of these roles.
5) Schedule, on paper, at this point looks easy They get the weak AFC South and the NFC West plus 3rd place schedule.

He has to be trolling people at this point. He constantly elects not to challenge plays he should and challenges ones that clearly have no chance. There's no way he can seriously be this bad at it.
I think he goes off instinct and gut feeling to a large degree on stuff like challenges, when to go for it, managing the clock. The easiest stuff that can be delegated to a dork sitting in the press box. It's comical.

I'd love to see a comparison of Picketts stats throwing to Johnson compared to any other pass catcher. I'm warming up to the idea of trading him. It doesn't matter if he gets open if the results are as bad as they've been.
Pickett's stats throwing the Pickens is the highest rated QB to WR combo for over 50 attempts in the NFL

The talent at offense skill positions looks promising. KP, Najee, Warren, Pickens, Muth, Hayward all impressed and are on rookie deals. Plus Austin coming back next year. OL improved through the year but need to add talent there.

The defense still has some issues, but I’d start by improving the DL. Alualu is probably done. Larry flashed at times but also was MIA for stretches. Leal showed promise. Need to add a real nose. A coverage LB to replace Bush and / or Spillane would be nice, but I think those guys could be better behind a more stout line. Obviously they also need DBs. Sutton would be my top priority for in house FAs.

I think he goes off instinct and gut feeling to a large degree on stuff like challenges, when to go for it, managing the clock. The easiest stuff that can be delegated to a dork sitting in the press box. It's comical.
You mean coaching decision ?

Well I'm glad you're not the GM. We didn't belong on the same field as Buffalo or Philadelphia.

We've got three fairly high draft picks; we have cap space, which has been a rarity for this team; we may or may not hold on to the OC; we have some high-earners nearing the ends of their contracts. By Steelers standards, that's pretty wild.
It’s the Steelers. It would be astounding if they did anymore than just take care of normal business.

Who are the high earners nearing the end? I'm guessing Jack and Alualu won't be back, but I hesitate to call them high earners - maybe I don't pay enough attention to individual salaries.

Maybe I’m just pro Kenny…

Maybe drinking and being at the game lends itself to paying a little less attention…

But I was shocked when I saw those numbers. Felt like he played very well. Put up 35 points (if you include the TD that got wiped out on the bad call)

Maybe I’m just pro Kenny…

Maybe drinking and being at the game lends itself to paying a little less attention…

But I was shocked when I saw those numbers. Felt like he played very well. Put up 35 points (if you include the TD that got wiped out on the bad call)

He played better in the second half. He was just airmailing a bit in the first half. Getting the ground game into a good rhythm certainly helped him.

He played better in the second half. He was just airmailing a bit in the first half. Getting the ground game into a good rhythm certainly helped him.
Three first-half drops by Johnson that were right on his hands didn't help.

Who are the high earners nearing the end? I'm guessing Jack and Alualu won't be back, but I hesitate to call them high earners - maybe I don't pay enough attention to individual salaries.

Well Diontae Johnson will be in the final year of his contract; Heyward is sort of approaching the end; Sutton presumably will be a high earner; Jack makes half-decent money and will be in his final year of that contract; etc.

I was basically just saying they're going to have to start the process of either renewing some of these guys or finding their long-term replacements. And then Trubisky coming off the books will be interesting, too, as it will free up even more space.

Reactions: pittdan77
Well Diontae Johnson will be in the final year of his contract; Heyward is sort of approaching the end; Sutton presumably will be a high earner; Jack makes half-decent money and will be in his final year of that contract; etc.

I was basically just saying they're going to have to start the process of either renewing some of these guys or finding their long-term replacements. And then Trubisky coming off the books will be interesting, too, as it will free up even more space.
Diontae has 2 years left... 2023 and 2024.

Some small talk regarding Pickett’s rookie contract being reworked.

Whoever was talking about Pickett's rookie contract being reworked is an idiot, because rookie contracts are not allowed to be reworked.

And even if they were, why on earth would you want to rework someone on a deal that is paying them way less than the open market value for their position?

"Hey, I know, instead of paying Kenny Pickett an $870,000 salary next year we ought to rework his contract so we can pay him $5 million. And then the year after, instead of paying him $985,000 maybe we could pay him $8 million. Yeah, that would really work out for us."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT