ADVERTISEMENT

Super Bowl viewership down

mbe 34

All Conference
Nov 24, 2004
Lowest in 10 years.
Still over 100 million tuned in.

Seems like a lot of sports are having attendance and viewing issues.

It was the least interested I have ever been in a Super Bowl in my life. I also watched not too much of the game.

It was the least interested I have ever been in a Super Bowl in my life. I also watched not too much of the game.

If I wasn’t in a few football pools I won’t have watched.
I missed the entire halftime show (again)
The humor in the commercials is overrated - they were terrible.

I’m surprised how people actually expect to be entertained with these halftime shows. Honestly, I think you guys expect to much from something that stands little chance of not sucking.

I’m surprised how people actually expect to be entertained with these halftime shows. Honestly, I think you guys expect to much from something that stands little chance of not sucking.

The "Powers to Be" ( network execs, marketing folks, NFL somebody's, whomever ) has been over thinking the Super Bowl for years.

The success of the "event" is now it's own downfall. It's intended to draw as many, if not more viewers who are not football fans, with concert-like halftime shows that take forever, and commercials intended to be an event of their own.

It's impossible to improve each year, so now it's as if they are willing to settle for style over substance.

I remember the first time I sat and watched the whole Super Bowl live. It was treated like a regular season game, nothing extra, 1:00pm kickoff, normal pregame show, and halftime, no post game, it was Jets vs. Colts.

I'd prefer that, except at 6:00pm. 1:00pm is too early, I'd rather drink and pass out by 11:00 lol

5 minute commercial breaks and 30+ minute halftimes kill any viewing pleasure for a sports fan. I watched none of the pregame or halftime and about 80% of the actual game.
. My brother went to the super bowl in Detroit, said he loved the halftime show because unlike every other sporting event, no one goes to the bathroom so he went and hit up the concession stands with no lines and was back at his seat before the third quarter started.

Reactions: Pitt79
I remember the first time I sat and watched the whole Super Bowl live. It was treated like a regular season game, nothing extra, 1:00pm kickoff, normal pregame show, and halftime, no post game, it was Jets vs. Colts.

I'd prefer that, except at 6:00pm. 1:00pm is too early, I'd rather drink and pass out by 11:00 lol

make it 4:30 and I agree. I can understand a little better of a halftime show but they go too far with it. no need for a stage just run the cords out to the 50 and perform on the grass.

Reactions: Pitt79
Lowest in 10 years.
Still over 100 million tuned in.

Seems like a lot of sports are having attendance and viewing issues.

I didn't even consider watching it. Haven't watched it in several years, in fact. I no longer watch sporting events unless I am a fan of one of the teams; or, occasionally when I want to see a future opponent of a team of which I am a fan. Otherwise, I don't bother.

Funny how things work. Friends and acquaintances are surprised when I tell them I still don't follow or root for the Washington Redskins even though I have lived in their footprint for 35+ years.

Last edited:
The NFL tries to be everything to everyone at all times. That is a strategy of failure.
Pete rozelle described the nfl in the early 70s as a league of drugged up thugs being cheered on by mean drunks.

50 years later, not much has changed. It’s not a bad thing imo.

Why not play it on Saturday? Give everyone a chance to sleep in the next day after all the partying?
This never made sense to me.
They play the NCAA championship games on Monday late as well. That's a pretty lame situation as well, but at least that makes some sense because of the way the tourney plays out.

make it 4:30 and I agree. I can understand a little better of a halftime show but they go too far with it. no need for a stage just run the cords out to the 50 and perform on the grass.
4:30 is fine too. Personally, after that time on most Sundays, I'm ok with just chilling at home. I always prefer the Steelers and Pitt on Saturdays to play 4:30 or later, it makes it easier to just dedicate the rest of the day to the game, which I just don't want to do with 1:00pm or noon time games.

I no longer watch sporting events unless I am a fan of one of the teams;

This is definitely me, the Super Bowl is one of the few exceptions. Right now, I am only watching pretty much Penguins hockey and Pitt basketball. Maybe an occasional soccer game, and I admit, I am interested to see AAF football, mostly because of the novelty of it and just curiosity. I just set my TV to DVR these things and often don't even watch them live.

Pete rozelle described the nfl in the early 70s as a league of drugged up thugs being cheered on by mean drunks.

50 years later, not much has changed. It’s not a bad thing imo.

This is what they should embrace, It's not a FAMILY EVENT, it's an event where people, mostly men, want to show up and get rip roaring hammered before they even enter the stadium and party all day.

My daughter is a senior in high school now and I've never taken her to an NFL game, why waste a ticket that's $100 on someone that won't even appreciate it?

Now that she's almost an adult, maybe I'll ask her to come sometimes. I've taken her to soccer and baseball though-those are truly more laid back family environments.

Why not play it on Saturday? Give everyone a chance to sleep in the next day after all the partying?
They play the NCAA championship games on Monday late as well. That's a pretty lame situation as well, but at least that makes some sense because of the way the tourney plays out.

That Monday night NCAA Championship thing is the worst! Since I usually hate whoever is playing, I set the DVR to record the condensed 2 hour version that usually airs like 3 am on ESPN, and watch that, if it's a decent game, or if something cool, like Bama getting crushed happens. But I'm not staying up to watch teams I hate play, I can't get into it when I don't care who wins to be honest.

this topic came up when we were watching the game and I agree. the counter point is, there are people who study this, this is a multi billion dollar industry so the networks and NFL want the most viewers watching the game. If more people would watch on Saturday, it would be played on Saturday. there is a reason why it's on sunday at 6pm and that reason is based on viewers and money.

I'd love super bowl on Saturday but there is a reason it's not..

That Monday night NCAA Championship thing is the worst! Since I usually hate whoever is playing, I set the DVR to record the condensed 2 hour version that usually airs like 3 am on ESPN, and watch that, if it's a decent game, or if something cool, like Bama getting crushed happens. But I'm not staying up to watch teams I hate play, I can't get into it when I don't care who wins to be honest.
I think the networks are scared to go up against the NFL so they take a back seat here. Honestly, it would be a big risk but I think it could work, putting the College NC game on a Saturday and going up against the NFL Wild card game. it doesn't have to be an either / or thing IMO.

this topic came up when we were watching the game and I agree. the counter point is, there are people who study this, this is a multi billion dollar industry so the networks and NFL want the most viewers watching the game. If more people would watch on Saturday, it would be played on Saturday. there is a reason why it's on sunday at 6pm and that reason is based on viewers and money.

I'd love super bowl on Saturday but there is a reason it's not..
But why the college championships on Monday nights at 8:30? Seriously, I know I'm not alone because I usually work at 6:00am Tuesday morning and don't want to stay up. Sure the DIE HARD sports fans and the fans of the specific teams will stay up. but I bet they lose a lot of eyeballs they would of had if it was Saturday or Sunday at 6:00pm.

I'll take a different tack and say I think the halftime shows are typically not bad, IMO, considering the crazy timing and logistics needed. I wont say i'm a huge Marroon 5 fan but i think they did a pretty good job. Some acts im more inclined to like more than others, you can't please everyone. I think folks who wish they'd just have a marching bad and some frisbee dogs (which wouldn't bother ME at all) have to realize this game is a little bigger deal than that.

I think the networks are scared to go up against the NFL so they take a back seat here. Honestly, it would be a big risk but I think it could work, putting the College NC game on a Saturday and going up against the NFL Wild card game. it doesn't have to be an either / or thing IMO.
The basketball championship is the same and there is really nothing BIG to go up against, regular season NHL and NBA is about it.

I probably would watch the NCAA over NFL wild card, unless the Steelers where playing.

But why the college championships on Monday nights at 8:30? Seriously, I know I'm not alone because I usually work at 6:00am Tuesday morning and don't want to stay up. Sure the DIE HARD sports fans and the fans of the specific teams will stay up. but I bet they lose a lot of eyeballs they would of had if it was Saturday or Sunday at 6:00pm.
im with you man, I agree. again, I think Saturday night prime time is a bad time for TV.. people must be out doing stuff. Not me mind you but people with lives. sunday night, people are home in front of tv, Saturday night, Friday night, a lot of younger people are out and about..

im with you man, I agree. again, I think Saturday night prime time is a bad time for TV.. people must be out doing stuff. Not me mind you but people with lives. sunday night, people are home in front of tv, Saturday night, Friday night, a lot of younger people are out and about..
True, but being out and about, doesn't necessarily preclude watching sports, bars could have parties around it.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
I watched as usual, but honestly wasn't that into it. After the first few drives, you knew the Pats were going to win it late. So to me the outcome was already decided early.

To me it's the same situation with Monday, Thursday and Sunday Night Football, I never stay up for those, unless the Steelers are playing, and of course if Pitt made an NCAA Final someday, I'd stay up all night if I had to.

Reactions: Mikefln

Super Bowl III kicked off at 3:05PM which is why it was dark at the end of the game. The kickoff times up until the mid-80s are all over the place, Super Bowl V and X both at the Orange Bowl kicked at 2PM!

To me it's the same situation with Monday, Thursday and Sunday Night Football, I never stay up for those, unless the Steelers are playing, and of course if Pitt made an NCAA final someday, I'd stay up all night if I had to.
If Pitt were ever to make an NCAA football or basketball championship game of any kind going forward, it would somehow end up played on Saturday at noon... half time show sponsored by Bojangles of course. :D

Super Bowl III kicked off at 3:05PM which is why it was dark at the end of the game. The kickoff times up until the mid-80s are all over the place, Super Bowl V and X both at the Orange Bowl kicked at 2PM!
Was it? I thought it was earlier? Well it was 50 years ago, and I was in 4th grade I think?

The basketball championship is the same and there is really nothing BIG to go up against, regular season NHL and NBA is about it.

I probably would watch the NCAA over NFL wild card, unless the Steelers where playing.
Maybe they want people on west coast to watch.

Total Super Bowl viewers in the US.

1990 - 73 million viewers
1995 - 82 million viewers
2000 - 89 million viewers
2005 - 86 million viewers
2010 - 108 million viewers
2015 - 114 million viewers

This year around 103 million.

It's been a pretty steady incline year by year since 1990...

I believe the terrible half time shows and the even worse SB commercials are part of the problem.
Mrs Buffett and I only watch Steelers games now post kneeling protests, we used to watch most games.
We watched the SB to see Belichick,Brady, and Kraft show everyone how a well run nfl franchise functions.
In the process we skip SB commercials and SB halftime show.
Others who we know do the same.

SBowls should get back to broadcasting the most important football game of the year and eliminate the show business component.

Last edited:
In the process we skip SB commercials

How? do you change the channel or leave the room every time a commercial comes on? YOU PEOPLE are just as bad as the liberal snowflakes, you know that? What would you have Lawrence Welk at halftime and Patriotic and Bible verse public service announcements instead of commercials? Life has to be just as hard for you as much as it is for the vegans mad about the beetloaf commercial. LOL! THIS COUNTRY IS A MAJOR JOKE!

How? do you change the channel or leave the room every time a commercial comes on? YOU PEOPLE are just as bad as the liberal snowflakes, you know that? What would you have Lawrence Welk at halftime and Patriotic and Bible verse public service announcements instead of commercials? Life has to be just as hard for you as much as it is for the vegans mad about the beetloaf commercial. LOL! THIS COUNTRY IS A MAJOR JOKE!

The joke is how they get 100 million Americans to (mostly)pay to watch their dumb commercials and talk about them for days, just to watch a silly game

The joke is how they get 100 million Americans to (mostly)pay to watch their dumb commercials and talk about them for days, just to watch a silly game
Are you talking about paying for cable or internet? How are we paying to watch?

Why is everyone so grumpy and cynical over the super bowl? Game sucks, commercials suck, half time show sucks, no one watches anymore.

You guys sound like the nfl knocked up your teenage daughter or something. Why the angst towards the big game?

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Total Super Bowl viewers in the US.

1990 - 73 million viewers
1995 - 82 million viewers
2000 - 89 million viewers
2005 - 86 million viewers
2010 - 108 million viewers
2015 - 114 million viewers

This year around 103 million.

It's been a pretty steady incline year by year since 1990...

I'd bet revenues (and profits) followed right along. The NFL isn't hurting.

Reactions: daminals76

I agree completely. CFB is losing tons of TV revenue by scheduling the Championship game on Monday night.

I think CFB would get much better ratings if they played it on Sunday night, say during the NFL Wild Card or Divisional round weekends. The NFL Sunday night games get the highest prime time ratings of all TV shows. Then, the playoffs begin and there are no games on Sunday night for the Wild Card and Divisional round playoffs. CFB is missing a window of opportunity that the NFL will probably close someday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT