ADVERTISEMENT

Syracuse Game in The Dome & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** Allow me that chance to purge myself of a conversation about Pitt Basketball I had with a friend this summer. When asked about the prospects of the team, I proclaimed there were reasons to be encouraged because of the addition of Dior Johnson.

** My logic at the time was that Dior could be the team’s best player, which would have a critical cascading impact on our overall talent. With Dior at the top, Big John becomes your number two player and from there, all of the rest fit better into supporting roles for which they are better accustomed.

** I suspect my friend will never put any stock into my pre-season prognostications ever again. And after this confession, coupled with my proclamation that “We’re Back!” two years ago, and my declaration in the game thread at the 9 minute mark of the second half shouting “this one is OVER,” I doubt any of my fellow posters will either.

** But please indulge me for a little while as we focus on the game’s first 32 minutes and the five players who I believed would be supporting players behind two guys who didn’t even see the court tonight.

** Nelly, Jamarius, Blake, Greg and Fede have all proven well enough that they are formidable fivesome who can win in this league. In fact, at the moment, they are at the top of the league.

** Until those ugly final minutes, this group played some of the best offensive team basketball I’ve seen the Panthers play since … well … it’s been a while. Maybe since the last time we started an ACC season 2-0.

** While it’s always more fun to watch a ball fall through a basket, often it’s almost as pleasing to watch perfect passing for really good shots. That’s what we watched for four fifths of this game. We got 28 buckets and assisted on 20 of them. That’s an especially impressive number against the Cuse zone which can draw a team into a slog.

** The Panthers never experienced such a slog this night. Sure, they started getting too pleased with their ability to shoot threes with 20 seconds left on a shot clock when up by 18. But it wasn’t because the shots weren’t open.

** In fact, what’s interesting now is the reason we need Dior and John is to provide some better quality depth beyond of our first five. Maybe something lost behind the visual of falling threes was the reality that the staring five played all but 24 minutes of this game. And almost all of that was a function of Fede’s foul problems.

** Now certainly, Jorge filled in wonderfully, but I still think it’s asking a lot of him to play and produce in ACC games with where he is as a young player. And perhaps Nike could have played more than the half dozen minutes he got, but unfortunately the staff doesn’t feel confidence in him at the moment.

** But I can’t help but to think that some of those treacherous final minutes could have been soothed by a little extra help along the way, or the chance to sit for a moment and think about the game a bit.

** Nonetheless, for most of the game tonight, our players looked like they were having a great deal of fun, and accordingly they played basketball that was a great deal of fun to watch. I’ll try to focus on that fact instead of wondering how sustainable a team of five can be over the course an ACC season. After all, it almost wasn’t sustainable for 40 minutes of an ACC game.

** Yet for now, we are indeed 2-0 in this League. The last time we started 2-0 in the ACC was the last time we made the NCAA Tournament. And not only have we started 2-0, we started 2-0 with two wins on the road against at least seemingly decent teams. Or at least not teams suspected to be among the worst in the League.

** Looking at the rest of schedule, it’s almost easy to see 8 more wins, maybe 10, maybe more. Although PLEASE don't consider these to be "predictions!" After all, my track record is poor.

** But maybe we can see the kind of season some people were encouraged to talk about with their friends in the summer … only for different reasons, or more correctly … different players.

Jorge Diaz Graham tonight

18 minutes, 9 points, 5 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 steal, 1 block

On the full season,

98 ORTG offensive power rating
8.8 offensive rebound rate / 16.3 defensive rebound rate
block rate- 5
steal rate 3.4
free throw rate 62.2
turnover rate-15
assist rate-7

For a freshmen big that is rail thin, he is way outperforming right now in a whole collection of areas for the season. He hasn't shot it well but he has the capability. His assist rate is low. But everything else is at minimum decent if not good for a freshmen big. And he does not have turnover problem issues like some have said, he has been ok there.

I think he along with his brother have big upside. And Jorge to me has outperformed so far this year.

Ive said the same thing in the past however about our team and team depth,, we have a quality starting 5 with weak overall depth. But I trust Jorge more than Sibande at this point in terms of our depth. And Im glad Santos is benched now, he needs to be.

Great team win!

** Allow me that chance to purge myself of a conversation about Pitt Basketball I had with a friend this summer. When asked about the prospects of the team, I proclaimed there were reasons to be encouraged because of the addition of Dior Johnson.

** My logic at the time was that Dior could be the team’s best player, which would have a critical cascading impact on our overall talent. With Dior at the top, Big John becomes your number two player and from there, all of the rest fit better into supporting roles for which they are better accustomed.

** I suspect my friend will never put any stock into my pre-season prognostications ever again. And after this confession, coupled with my proclamation that “We’re Back!” two years ago, and my declaration in the game thread at the 9 minute mark of the second half shouting “this one is OVER,” I doubt any of my fellow posters will either.

** But please indulge me for a little while as we focus on the game’s first 32 minutes and the five players who I believed would be supporting players behind two guys who didn’t even see the court tonight.

** Nelly, Jamarius, Blake, Greg and Fede have all proven well enough that they are formidable fivesome who can win in this league. In fact, at the moment, they are at the top of the league.

** Until those ugly final minutes, this group played some of the best offensive team basketball I’ve seen the Panthers play since … well … it’s been a while. Maybe since the last time we started an ACC season 2-0.

** While it’s always more fun to watch a ball fall through a basket, often it’s almost as pleasing to watch perfect passing for really good shots. That’s what we watched for four fifths of this game. We got 28 buckets and assisted on 20 of them. That’s an especially impressive number against the Cuse zone which can draw a team into a slog.

** The Panthers never experienced such a slog this night. Sure, they started getting too pleased with their ability to shoot threes with 20 seconds left on a shot clock when up by 18. But it wasn’t because the shots weren’t open.

** In fact, what’s interesting now is the reason we need Dior and John is to provide some better quality depth beyond of our first five. Maybe something lost behind the visual of falling threes was the reality that the staring five played all but 24 minutes of this game. And almost all of that was a function of Fede’s foul problems.

** Now certainly, Jorge filled in wonderfully, but I still think it’s asking a lot of him to play and produce in ACC games with where he is as a young player. And perhaps Nike could have played more than the half dozen minutes he got, but unfortunately the staff doesn’t feel confidence in him at the moment.

** But I can’t help but to think that some of those treacherous final minutes could have been soothed by a little extra help along the way, or the chance to sit for a moment and think about the game a bit.

** Nonetheless, for most of the game tonight, our players looked like they were having a great deal of fun, and accordingly they played basketball that was a great deal of fun to watch. I’ll try to focus on that fact instead of wondering how sustainable a team of five can be over the course an ACC season. After all, it almost wasn’t sustainable for 40 minutes of an ACC game.

** Yet for now, we are indeed 2-0 in this League. The last time we started 2-0 in the ACC was the last time we made the NCAA Tournament. And not only have we started 2-0, we started 2-0 with two wins on the road against at least seemingly decent teams. Or at least not teams suspected to be among the worst in the League.

** Looking at the rest of schedule, it’s almost easy to see 8 more wins, maybe 10, maybe more. Although PLEASE don't consider these to be "predictions!" After all, my track record is poor.

** But maybe we can see the kind of season some people were encouraged to talk about with their friends in the summer … only for different reasons, or more correctly … different players.
Can you imagine how good we would be if Dior gets reinstated and lives up to the hype and we get Hugley back looking like he did last season? 2 big ifs but you never know.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
And Im glad Santos is benched now, he needs to be.

I obviously was wrong but I thought Santos would be a contributing factor this season and making us a better team. It's been anything but since he can't even find the court now.

Reactions: pittjas
I obviously was wrong but I thought Santos would be a contributing factor this season and making us a better team. It's been anything but since he can't even find the court now.

Santos biggest strength is shooting. And he just cant make them when he plays in actual games. But there is a bigger problem. The team simply does not play well when he is in the game.

Agree with everything here. Solid performance all the way around until the last 5 minutes. Only negatives were the turnovers and also hope the coaches learned not to take the air out of the ball with a lead. As soon as we stopped attacking the zone with early pass to the middle, early in the shot clock, the big lead vanished.

Nice win! Was fun for about 32 mins haha.

Man is Syracuse depressing. Bad team, don’t run anything, low energy crowd for the most part. They’re gonna have a hard time recapturing the magic ever if Jim B doesn’t step down soon. Job is losing its luster with each passing year. If letting them do whatever they want is how Gerry and Red are auditioning for the job, they’re better served going outside the family or back to Hopkins.

Gotta feel great for Nelly and Hinson. 2 great kids (men I guess) who are just playing out of their minds.

11 more and we may have a chance!

I love when emotion just takes over a game. You know damn well the Pitt kids should not have played that badly at the end but they could not do anything to prevent the inevitable Cuse march. Hopefully this staff learns a little from this game. I honestly think we can pull the upset on a suspect Carolina team and all of those Cranberry Tarheel fans who have only been close to Chapel Hill when they vacationed at Myrtle Beach.

I love when emotion just takes over a game. You know damn well the Pitt kids should not have played that badly at the end but they could not do anything to prevent the inevitable Cuse march. Hopefully this staff learns a little from this game. I honestly think we can pull the upset on a suspect Carolina team and all of those Cranberry Tarheel fans who have only been close to Chapel Hill when they vacationed at Myrtle Beach.
Eh, our guards aren’t as good as theirs and they seemed worn down at the end. Nike only getting 6 minutes… plus Nelly shot it out of his mind we can’t expect him to do that every game.

Getting Dior back at the start of next semester should be big for this team if he’s allowed to practice earlier. Hopefully he leaves the ego at home and can accept a 10-15 minute role

Syracuse is not a "bad team". they have plenty of talent and had just won at Notre Dame. for some posters, if Pitt wins, the other team is "bad" and if we lose, Pitt stinks.

I really hope we get to see Jorge grow over the next couple of years. He is fun to watch. He is a factor right now. He is rail thin, but he seems to get more physical by the game. He battles. really great recruit.

I don't get it with Nike. He has looked really good at times, on both ends of the floor. We really need him to play well.

Fede is such a huge surprise,, but I think he is going to get into foul trouble most games. I do think he had some ticky-tack calls against him that were unfair.

Hinson is such a huge surprise. wow.

the last 10 minutes, we seemed to pass up a lot of shots we were making and trying to run out the clock. we had shots. Hey, we won. But I think we need to take those shots and the games does not go down to the wire. I get it, the team was dog tired. It will be very hard to compete with the top teams consistently if we get into foul trouble or find more depth.

Syracuse is not a "bad team". they have plenty of talent and had just won at Notre Dame. for some posters, if Pitt wins, the other team is "bad" and if we lose, Pitt stinks.

I really hope we get to see Jorge grow over the next couple of years. He is fun to watch. He is a factor right now. He is rail thin, but he seems to get more physical by the game. He battles. really great recruit.

I don't get it with Nike. He has looked really good at times, on both ends of the floor. We really need him to play well.

Fede is such a huge surprise,, but I think he is going to get into foul trouble most games. I do think he had some ticky-tack calls against him that were unfair.

Hinson is such a huge surprise. wow.

the last 10 minutes, we seemed to pass up a lot of shots we were making and trying to run out the clock. we had shots. Hey, we won. But I think we need to take those shots and the games does not go down to the wire. I get it, the team was dog tired. It will be very hard to compete with the top teams consistently if we get into foul trouble or find more depth.
I mean… cuse lost to Bryant at home, lost to Illinois by 30 and lost to St John’s. They’re not built anything like a typical Syracuse team, Girard isn’t athletic enough to get his own shot and it seems like Mintz went there because he wouldn’t have to learn defenses or plays.

They’re not terrible but you can’t define them as “good”. Of course any ACC road win is a good win. It’s difficult to win on the road in league.

Despite some late heart palpitations what a fun game to watch !

What a player Blake Hinson is , just wish he stops committing cheap fouls . Same with Fede . They need those guys on the court .

This team is two players away from being really good and the good news is in Hugley and Dior they potentially have them .

Questioning the staffs ability to coach should be put to rest . After those two horrible loses to WVU and Michigan they could’ve easily lost this team .

Syracuses long arms and zone took away Burtons mid range game , but he still found a way to contribute 9 pts and 6 assists .

If Dior is better than Mintz I sure hope we get to see in a Panther uniform .

ps … How tragic the news about Franco , what a great player and man he was .

Last edited:
Oh he’s a stupid scorer. If he played at like Marshall or Duquesne these last 5 years he would’ve scored 2,000 points. Pitt did a great job of making him uncomfortable, especially off ball screens.
Absolutely did a good job on him. They frustrated him, you could see he never did quite get off the shots he’s comfortable with.

We only played 7 men and 4 of them played almost the entire game. The 3 guards played 36, 38 and 40 minutes. Nike played 3. He had 3 rebounds, 1 PF and 0 TOs. Not sure why he only got 3 minutes instead of resting the 3 starters for another 3 minutes each.

Having John and Dior back would help a lot, but is anyone sure Hughley will even play again this season? He certainly hasn’t looked like he’s recovering or getting into game shape when he has played.

Reactions: mo cheeks
I’ve used that before … but I do think I was appropriately restrained in this version, don’t you think?
I just think that's one of the best lines anyone could say. Harvey Kietel is a genius. Every remote chance I can use it, I think it's hilarious.

Santos biggest strength is shooting. And he just cant make them when he plays in actual games. But there is a bigger problem. The team simply does not play well when he is in the game.
It may be his "biggest
strength" but until he can
make em in REAL time, it's
not a "strength." Good
about the team not playing
well when he's in the game.

Having John and Dior back would help a lot, but is anyone sure Hughley will even play again this season? He certainly hasn’t looked like he’s recovering or getting into game shape when he has played.

My guess no for either problem child.

I didn't see that when I watched it again. We were struggling to get any shots at all. And while at certain points we were milking the clock, there were 3 instances where we inexplicably launched 3's with just over 20 left on the shot clock. Cummings did it twice after we broke the press and had 2-on-1 situations. Elliott did it another time. All misses. When we broke the press, we should have either attacked the rim or pulled on the reins. Otherwise, turnovers, bad fouls and key missed rebounds were the main culprits in seeing a 20-point lead with 10 to go and 16 with less than 8 to go whittle away.

My guess no for either problem child.
Dior will be reinstated on the timeline I laid out a few weeks ago. Next semester.

Reactions: jctrack
Santos‘s shots were not falling early in the season and he seems to have lost confidence.

I didn't see that when I watched it again. We were struggling to get any shots at all. And while at certain points we were milking the clock, there were 3 instances where we inexplicably launched 3's with just over 20 left on the shot clock. Cummings did it twice after we broke the press and had 2-on-1 situations. Elliott did it another time. All misses. When we broke the press, we should have either attacked the rim or pulled on the reins. Otherwise, turnovers, bad fouls and key missed rebounds were the main culprits in seeing a 20-point lead with 10 to go and 16 with less than 8 to go whittle away.
I need to rewatch. I remember saying to "shoot it" ! several times in the last few minutes. we did take some early 3's, but then I think Capel just told them to use the clock and they passed up a few good looks.

I said this a couple of weeks ago, and last night reinforced this. This team reminds me alot of WVU teams under Huggins, or even Cincy, or those Iowa State teams, Texas Tech......teams that have grown ass men. Where they come from? But versatile. can and will shoot. This is a team is not a team you want to face in a tournament. If they are shooting well.

A lot of those Cranberry Tarheel fans put on their ND football jerseys in the fall, too. And most of them have been as close to S Bend as they have to Chapel Hill. Interesting phenomenon. 😏

Reactions: Duneaux Harm
I should have also pointed out earlier and maybe someone did already.

Nelly Cummings has really come on and played well the last 8 games. His first 5 games this year were terrible. His last 8 games have been beyond strong, stats wise and efficiency wise. He has greatly elevated our entire offense, which is now good enough for top 50 in the country and it probably will get better from here.

Not only is this greatly helping Pitt, but his younger brother is imho quite underrated in 2024 and is a player to watch in the recruiting class. Obviously Nelly finishing strong, and Pitt finishing strong, helps things here with his brother.

Reactions: jctrack and Jim Z
Hinson seems like a great dude, teammate.

Gotta love the way he plays and his energy, but I was surprised a few times yesterday that he wasn’t T’d. Seems like only a matter of time, but you hate messing with his mojo right now, so I guess you take a little potential future bad with all the good he's got going on.

A lot of those Cranberry Tarheel fans put on their ND football jerseys in the fall, too. And most of them have been as close to S Bend as they have to Chapel Hill. Interesting phenomenon. 😏
Easy Pal! I’m Pitt all the way and live in Cranberry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT