ADVERTISEMENT

T-Ranketology has Pitt In

Tonight we root for:
Nova over SHU
WVU over TCU - can help us get another Q2 and would be 8 Q1/2 wins.
North Texas over FAU
Fresno over UNM
St. joes over Richmond
MSU over NW

I'm trying to decide what changed from the days when a team in a power conference was a slam dunk to get in at 21-10. I guess more mid-majors have just emerged throughout the years.
When they went to metrics that considered things other than winning, some conferences figured out how to game the system.

Unlike the braketology that does the meaningless "if the season ended today" stuff, this site does an actual prediction of what they think the bracket will look like, using models to predict out the remaining games. They have Pitt as the next to last team in, though with a probability just under 50%.

T-Ranketology
I'm not sure what changed since this morning, but Torvik now has moved us out of Dayton, and the highest ranked 11 seed and a bye.

Reactions: PittMed and cabe23
When they went to metrics that considered things other than winning, some conferences figured out how to game the system.

And when they used metrics that only paid attention to winning, some conferences figured out how to game the system.

The difference is that back then the way to game the system was to play mid-majors with good records, teams that had little chance to beat you, but their record looked good. Now that they are using efficiency metrics the way to game the system is to be more efficient. Which is simply another way to say "play better".

Tonight we root for:
Nova over SHU
North Texas over FAU
Fresno over UNM
St. joes over Richmond
MSU over NW

Rooting hard for my Mountaineers. They have just as much, if not more talent than TCU, but one thing about Jamie is he always beats who he's supposed to. Few upsets for or against.

Tonight we root for:
Nova over SHU
North Texas over FAU
Fresno over UNM
St. joes over Richmond
MSU over NW
I just don’t get how Lunardi has Utah New Mexico and Providence all ahead of Pitt. Pitt should be ahead of all of those teams at the moment and like a lot of other brackets are starting to show they should be in the tournament and field of 68 right now.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Nova-Seton Hall sure not going our way so far.

Although how many more games can Nova lose before their tourney spot becomes iffy even with their lofty NETin the 20’s. Lose to Hall tonight and they’re 17-13, finish up this weekend with Creighton which could be loss 14. And so far it looks like their opening BE tourney game will be a rematch with Hall. That’s shaping up to be a playin/playout game.

Last edited:
Nova-Seton Hall sure not going our way so far.

Villanova loses this one and then loses to Creighton at home on Saturday they better plan on winning at least one in the Big East tournament, because if they don't they are going to be in trouble at 17-15.

And if they do lose these next two they could end up (depending on the tiebreakers) getting Butler in that first game rather than one of the two pitiful Big East bottom feeders.

Villanova loses this one and then loses to Creighton at home on Saturday they better plan on winning at least one in the Big East tournament, because if they don't they are going to be in trouble at 17-15.

And if they do lose these next two they could end up (depending on the tiebreakers) getting Butler in that first game rather than one of the two pitiful Big East bottom feeders.

There's no way they get in at 17-15. I dont think there's ever been an at-large with that low of a winning percentage. Even at 18-15, I think that would the lowest winning percentage ever. It would almost be better if SHU wins this and Nova loses to Creighton and then wins 0 or 1 at MSG. Nova’s either going to be the best NET team to not get in or the worst winning percentage to get in.

BTW, how bout Fox doing the impossible and finding a way to do a 6:30/8:30 doubleheader. How did they do it? And the nightcap is at 7:30 local in Milwaukee. Why can't they make fans attend 9PM local time weeknight games?

Yeah, I edited/added to my post suggesting the same thing. You/we Pitt fans sure would hope their tourney spot will be in trouble at 17-15.

There's no way they get in at 17-15. I dont think there's ever been an at-large with that low of a winning percentage. Even at 18-15, I think that would the lowest winning percentage ever. It would almost be better if SHU wins this and Nova loses to Creighton and then wins 0 or 1 at MSG.
Another one similar to Nova is Mich State, lofty Net and firmly in the tourney now at 17-12. I think we’re supposed to be rooting for them tonight against NW but if they lose to drop to 17-13 you would think they couldn’t afford another loss either. They finish with Indiana before the B10 tourney.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Providence despite their net has 5 quad 1 wins and no Q3/Q4 losses.
I’d certainly give edge to Pitt over Utah and New Mexico right now though.

Yea. If we lose to NC St, we'd need to win 3 and make the final. Dont need to win it.

Assuming we beat NC St

- dont get double bye and lose Wednesday: 5% chance to get in

- dont get double bye and win Wed but lose Thursday: 30%

- dont get double bye and win Wed and Thu: 90%

- get double bye and lose Thursday: 30%

- get double bye and win Thursday: 90%

We need 1 more Q1 to feel fairly safe. People saying conference tournaments dont matter. They do when you only have 2 Q1 wins.
I'm not doing predictions, but I know you do. So, Pitt runs the table ... what's our seed? 6?

And the nightcap is at 7:30 local in Milwaukee. Why can't they make fans attend 9PM local time weeknight games?

Because a 9:00 local time in Milwaukee would be a 10:00 tip time in the east coast, and they don't want a 10:00 game that won't end until midnight or later?

Because a 9:00 local time in Milwaukee would be a 10:00 tip time in the east coast, and they don't want a 10:00 game that won't end until midnight or later?

I was being sarcastic. The Milwaukee locals would have survived an 8PM local (9PM eastern) start. Really no reason for B
Nova/SHU to start at 6:30 when 7/9 would have worked fine with the time zone difference. Just jealous that everyone can do 6:30/8:30 but the ACC

8/9 seems right. Wins over Clemson, Duke, UNC would each move up a seed line. Considering only 3 brackets have us in as of yesterday that’s decent. You can’t get a 6 seed just because of 3 neutral site games with teams having varying motivation. See VT 2022 that was rewarded with an 11.

VT 23-12 (11-9), 3-4 Q1, 6-5Q2, 7-2 Q3, 7-0 Q4; prior to ACC tourney net of 41. Net of 30 post ACC tourney. They only had 1 Q1 win prior to ACC tourney. Not too far off Pitts current profile. They also had 7 road wins.

Last edited:
8/9 seems right. Wins over Clemson, Duke, UNC would each move up a seed line. Considering only 3 brackets have us in as of yesterday that’s decent. You can’t get a 6 seed just because of 3 neutral site games with teams having varying motivation. See VT 2022 that was rewarded with an 11.

VT 23-12 (11-9), 3-4 Q1, 6-5Q2, 7-2 Q3, 7-0 Q4; prior to ACC tourney net of 41. Net of 30 post ACC tourney. They only had 1 Q1 win prior to ACC tourney. Not too far off Pitts current profile. They also had 7 road wins.
I would counter with VT being 7th in the ACC and a loss in their last reg season game. Pitt would finish no worse than tied for 4th and on a 6 game winning streak. Pitt has 8 P5 road/neutral wins and VT had 6 road/neutral wins, prior to the tourney of course.

I'll freely admit it depends on who Pitt plays in the ACCT because upsets happen (and would have to happen in Pitt's situation).

Would be pretty weird to play Mississippi state in the play in again. Certainly possible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT