ADVERTISEMENT

Taleni Dismissed

That's the potentially frustrating aspect. If he bashed someone's head in, particularly a girl, yeah ok, out he goes and ill help pack. But if they tossed him for smoking a joint, as they've maddeningly been known to do with critical players on hoops and football ... dam it, just drop these sports because you're resigned to sucking before even taking the field
Yea, I think Pitt plays by a different set of rules than the rest of the ncaa and they better wake the hell up!

Yea, I think Pitt plays by a different set of rules than the rest of the ncaa and they better wake the hell up!
Some here would rather they tighten it even more. Meshes with romantic notion of college sports having the least bit to do with college. Guys in letterman sweaters and straw hats having malteds at the soda shoppe after the game. It's not that. Never really was. It is it's own level of major professional sports at our level. Its actually even more ruthless than the "real" pros. You have to keep at the same speed or the semis will drive you off the road. Pitt is a puttering Yugo in this scenario.

It can be frustrating, but I'd rather be conservative than go the Penn St way of see no evil, hear no evil, report no evil.

I just wish I didn't feel like Pitt plays by one set of rules and the rest of the ncaa plays with a different set. There's got to be a happy medium here somewhere.
You're dead wrong about that. Pitt is not the shining beacon of morality in the world of major college athletics, nor is Pitt at the other extreme. Pitt is essentially the happy medium.

And for all we know, Taleni did something really bad.

Ask Dantonio if it's worth keeping a bad apple or two just because they have a lot of talent. He and his program are paying a heavy price for doing that as we speak. And you can bet Narduzzi is watching that situation closely-some of those bad seeds were his recruits.

Perhaps. What was Taleni's extreme? Sorry if I missed where it was reported. And let me ask, how many years of pushing the envelope did it take for the nits to reach the point where not reporting Sandusky seemed ok?

You're dead wrong about that. Pitt is not the shining beacon of morality in the world of major college athletics, nor is Pitt at the other extreme. Pitt is essentially the happy medium.

Ask Dantonio if it's worth keeping a bad apple or two just because they have a lot of talent. He and his program are paying a heavy price for doing that as we speak. And you can bet Narduzzi is watching that situation closely-some of those bad seeds were his recruits.
I guess that's the issue. Half likely see "kid expelled" and assume he held up a liquor store or raped a nun convent.

But, because of recent precedent with Pitt discipline, I assume it was likely over weed. Which i definitely don't condone, and have never touched in MY life, but good or bad has greatly diminished as an evil thing in our country and even our state ... and in any event IS NOT SOMETHING STARTING PLAYERS AT OTHER PROGRAMS GET KICKED OUT FOR. Or even miss a series for, hardly.

But for sure the key phrase is "for all we know". Absolutely right. Could be awful. Perversely we almost have to wish it IS, which is terrible ... because otherwise our program has shot itself in the foot... again.

You don't know your a$$ from a hole in the ground...nor do you know the facts. The story here sounds like Durand Johnson II.n For all we know, the moon is made of green cheese...Except for commission of crimes, it's rare for ncaa programs to give players the complete heave ho! That's a fact. Spare me the bad apple in the bushel parable...

You don't know your a$$ from a hole in the ground...nor do you know the facts. The story here sounds like Durand Johnson II.n For all we know, the moon is made of green cheese...Except for commission of crimes, it's rare for ncaa programs to give players the complete heave ho! That's a fact. Spare me the bad apple in the bushel parable...

None of us know, is he still enrolled ...

I'd like to know what he did and compare the infraction to player infractions on some of the teams we have to play!
I'd noticed assaults, DUI's, etc are followed up with a two game suspension for alot of the Top Power Five teams while PITT takes the high road and dumps players for less and similar infractions!

If your opponents don't consistently take the high road and you do you'll never be a top program. If that makes us happy than we're in the wrong conference.

One observation. I never see a Nitter get throw off the team??? Because they control the U environment, and local law enforcement when it comes to athletes!

Yet we notice weekly local news about Nitter kids being arrested for DUI, other drug or alcohol infractions, and I believe one student recently died from abusing alcohol and another had a brush with death.

Reactions: jmcst5
Ok jagoff-I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that your personal experience with competitive team sports ended in about 9th grade when you didn't make the freshman baseball team. Let's say you're a football coach. And you have a good player who has defied your directives more than once. Maybe he has tested dirty for weed a couple of times, and you give him an ultimatum. He ultimately violates your ultimatum-you find out he's still smoking. Everyone on the team knows he disobeyed his coach yet again.

What kind of coach keeps that kid on the team? What kind of message does that send to your players and assistant coaches? What do you think happens to your TEAM if you don't enforce your own rules equally with everyone, from your walk-ons to your most valuable starters?

I don't know what happened with Taleni- Roger do you--but what I do know is he didn't get booted for a single minor offense like a one time positive weed test. That's not how it works at Pitt or anywhere else. Whatever he did, you can rest assured Taleni deserved it. And I admire Narduzzi's protection of his players and his program by keeping this stuff in the family and away from the public. The people that need to know what happened know, nobody else. It's the right way to do it.

Reactions: billyberoux
I'd like to know what he did and compare the infraction to player infractions on some of the teams we have to play!
I'd noticed assaults, DUI's, etc are followed up with a two game suspension for alot of the Top Power Five teams while PITT takes the high road and dumps players for less and similar infractions!

If your opponents don't consistently take the high road and you do you'll never be a top program. If that makes us happy than we're in the wrong conference.

One observation. I never see a Nitter get throw off the team??? Because they control the U environment, and local law enforcement when it comes to athletes!

Yet we notice weekly local news about Nitter kids being arrested for DUI, other drug or alcohol infractions, and I believe one student recently died from abusing alcohol and another had a brush with death.

So we should aspire to one day cover up child abuse?

Reactions: JokePa
So we should aspire to one day cover up child abuse?
That's not what happened! The Sandusky thing was an ex coach using the football facility! It had nothing to do with players.
Stay focused Waldo!

I'm talking about player discipline! It should be consistent across the NCAA for D1 P5 teams!

PITT is being a knive to a gunfight which will fail everytime!

Penn state should have the death penalty for what it did.

But that's quite a chasm from pitching a guy out of school for a joint.

I never want Pitt doing the former. Or anything the least bit like it. I'd say even godless barbaric Louisville or WVU would not.

But not the latter ether. Especially when nobody else we compete with remotely goes to that extreme.

Reactions: JokePa
Isn't this an odd thing to say when one of our new players that has been mentioned in this thread is a guy that the nitters threw off their team?
Isnt that typically because the player isn't Nitter material??? According to the Nitters! Find me a Nitter that was disciplined by suspension in the past five years? Maybe you can find one but I haven't noticed it and we're in their media market!

Isnt that typically because the player isn't Nitter material??? According to the Nitters! Find me a Nitter that was disciplined by suspension in the past five years? Maybe you can find one but I haven't noticed it and we're in their media market!

He was disciplined by getting kicked off the team! That's just a little worse than being suspended, doncha think?

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Ok jagoff-I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that your personal experience with competitive team sports ended in about 9th grade when you didn't make the freshman baseball team. Let's say you're a football coach. And you have a good player who has defied your directives more than once. Maybe he has tested dirty for weed a couple of times, and you give him an ultimatum. He ultimately violates your ultimatum-you find out he's still smoking. Everyone on the team knows he disobeyed his coach yet again.

What kind of coach keeps that kid on the team? What kind of message does that send to your players and assistant coaches? What do you think happens to your TEAM if you don't enforce your own rules equally with everyone, from your walk-ons to your most valuable starters?

I don't know what happened with Taleni- Roger do you--but what I do know is he didn't get booted for a single minor offense like a one time positive weed test. That's not how it works at Pitt or anywhere else. Whatever he did, you can rest assured Taleni deserved it. And I admire Narduzzi's protection of his players and his program by keeping this stuff in the family and away from the public. The people that need to know what happened know, nobody else. It's the right way to do it.

No, JA, my sports experience didn't end at 9th grade. But whether it did or didn't doesn't affect the basic point; that point being that Pitt is indeed playing by a different set of rules, rules that they(the administrators, not coaches)enacted voluntarily, rules that pissed off the last BB coach and I'd bet my last buck don't sit well with the current head FB coach either. If you think these are Narduzzi's rules, you're more naive than the fallen snow. Go coach your daughter's lacrosse team where you can get up on your soap box, and wax stupidity all day long!

I do remember that one! But suspended is less of a penalty than dismissed!
You always come up with good information you're a great staff member remind me to give you a really good annual increase!

PITT has dismissed lots of players rather than using the suspension option which other program lean toward!

But being in the Nitter media market for over 30 years I rarely hear about player issues at the same frequency of other Top 20 U's. When there is a problem its usually a suspension?? In addition the Nitters have lots of problems with the general student population which we hear about almost weekly certainly each month and it never involves an athlete?

Maybe the Nitter athletes are disciplined role models??? Or Nitter U has " total control " of law enforcement in that cowtown which would be destitute without Nitter football!

Or without Nitter sports most of you law enforcement people wouldn't have jobs!

That's not the case in a city like Pittsburgh or other football towns. If PITT football goes away I doubt many or any Pittsburgh law enforcement people lose their jobs!

Last edited:

When was Tyler Boyd kicked off the team for his dui?

Reactions: step.eng69
When was Tyler Boyd kicked off the team for his dui?
Yes.
It was an off season event and he was never tested an never lost his license. He had to take a driver safety course.

Boyd, 20, was stopped June 12 at around 2:30 a.m. in Jefferson Hills after he switched lanes without a proper turn signal, police said. Boyd admitted to having two shots earlier in the night, according to the criminal complaint

But this was an improvement in the PITT decision making process and it worked out well for everyone didn't it!

Again going back years to the Wanny era PITT lost lots of football players due to off the field issues. During that same time the Nitters lost very few despite the alcohol and other issues on the Nitter campus!

That's the point! PITT doesn't own Pittsburgh law enforcement, but the Nitter do. W/o nitter football the State College police force would have made the Barney from Mayberry force look massive!

Last edited:
Yes.
It was an off season event and he was never tested an never lost his license. He had to take a driver safety course.

Boyd, 20, was stopped June 12 at around 2:30 a.m. in Jefferson Hills after he switched lanes without a proper turn signal, police said. Boyd admitted to having two shots earlier in the night, according to the criminal complaint

But this was an improvement in the PITT decision making process and it worked out well for everyone didn't it!

Again going back years to the Wanny era PITT lost lots of football players due to off the field issues. During that same time the Nitters lost very few despite the alcohol and other issues on the Nitter campus!

That's the point! PITT doesn't own Pittsburgh law enforcement, but the Nitter do. W/o nitter football the State College police force would have made the Barney from Mayberry force look massive!
So does Penn State football keep the State College police force in business or do they cover everything up?

Reactions: step.eng69
All you need to know about the State College Police Department's relations with Penn State can be clearly deduced from their actions in the rape allegation against Sandusky in 1998. They, along with many others, are morally complicit in the subsequent crimes of rape committed by him.

I'm guessing is was a strike three failed test and also probably why he didn't play the first 6 games last year.

Or....you can choose to believe what a woman I used to work with believes. The woman, a Nit graduate, actually argued that the Nits recruited players of better moral character than Pitt. This was her rationale of why the transgressions of Pitt players were in the newspapers, as compared to the Nit players, whom you never heard a bad thing about.

Yes, there ARE Nit followers who believe this kind of crap.

So does Penn State football keep the State College police force in business or do they cover everything up?
Actually, you don't need the police to cover-up anything; your administration did a good job handling the cover-ups. How big was that fine that the UPS administration paid for failing to report campus crimes?

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Updated:

This group, while not spectacular, is certainly deep enough to keep 4 guys fresh....IMO

Hendrix
Camp
Watts
Carter
Weaver
Pugh
Folston
Wheeler
Edwards
Blair
*Taleni

* dismissed from team

This is very unfortunate incident to happen to Pitt DL, Taleni has experience and power and looking forward to leading Pitt DLs. I feel it is big loss for Pitt and now up to Coach Partridge to make the DL even better without Taleni. Taleni will play in the NFL, should sign with the Steelers this year!

It would be nice to actually have an idea of why before blindly lauding (or criticizing) the decision. Pitt is infamous for inconsistency in discipline. Sometimes strangely lax, and other times self-sanctioning in its harshness.

Hopefully (accurate) info will leak and we can draw our own conclusions.

I disagree... he was DISMISSED... that is severe punishment. I really dont care what he did to deserve it, I am sure it is something rather bad.

When was the strangely lax instances for Narduzzi? He has seemed pretty strict on punishment. Same with Stallings

I disagree... he was DISMISSED... that is severe punishment. I really dont care what he did to deserve it, I am sure it is something rather bad.

When was the strangely lax instances for Narduzzi? He has seemed pretty strict on punishment. Same with Stallings
Do you believe in hangings for running stop lights?

PITT's player discipline should be consistent with how their opponents handle similar situations!
If PITT decides to hold itself to a higher standard and use one of my banned phases " that's not who we are" than they should pursue a different conference and college football experience.

If you want to compete the the jackals you better be ready to be a jackal or you will lose! Now that's ok as long as its stated upfront so fans know the score, the rules, and can manage their expectations.

Part of the problem is the NFL which is why I'm a advocate of NFL minor leauges just like MLB and the NHL.

The college ready / interested players go thru the U system everyone else goes to the minor leauges and they meet up in the NFL.

I don't want to hear posters state the NFL wont go for this since they'll have to fork out a lot of money to support the NFL minor leauges. MLB and the NHL make it work so the players, owners, NFL admin can take a pay cut and figure out how to make this happen!

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT