ADVERTISEMENT

Team voted no on NIT

Yeah, I also hate quitting on your teammates.

Playing in the NIT would have zero affect on their draft status.
This is the world we live in. Just curious, did you think Kenny Pickett quit on the team when he opted out of the bowl game?

Reactions: USAF Phantom
The team couldn't care less about your negativity.
Not negative, I have said since mid January, this team is as good as any team outside of the top maybe 8 in the country, you could see it building, and the lost to UNC this week proves it, again

Maybe they think it's time to focus on the portal and getting better for next year. They have some needs, especially with a strong, experienced big that can clear out the post. Get the portal working for them with some experience and bench depth. The NIT will in all probability be gone after the NCAAT expands anyhow.

Not negative, I have said since mid January, this team is as good as any team outside of the top maybe 8 in the country, you could see it building, and the lost to UNC this week proves it, again
You have been negative throughout this thread by attacking both the players and Capel.

In Mad Max terminology, this is mediocre. "Let's go golfing and drinking, forget playing basketball." I thought they had competitors on this team.

Reactions: brickfhouse
If you get rejected by a 10, you don't have to settle for Kristen Stewart. You get back on the horse and better yourself so you can get that next 10!

I don't even know if the NIT is still real. I I couldn't find any of the games on TV a few years ago when I was looking for them. Was more difficult than finding wwf house show results in 1992.
Yeah, well, for this team, there is no horse. The horse is dead. It is over. They thought they were more suave than they were so they turned down Kristen Stewart and end up with nothing.

Last edited:
Another factor for the school, not necessarily the players, is that the attendance for an NIT game at The Pete would have probably been abysmal, as it was the last time we played in the NIT. So why go through that when you can get to work on the portal? It's more important to get ready for next year than to play in some exhibitions, which is what the NIT is.

This is the world we live in. Just curious, did you think Kenny Pickett quit on the team when he opted out of the bowl game?
Is that a serious question?

And just like I said about not having much interest in the NiT, I don’t have much interest in meaningless bowl games.

But just because it’s now the in thing to do, it sure doesn’t mean it’s not quitting on your team, or the school you most definitely signed up to represent.

Another factor for the school, not necessarily the players, is that the attendance for an NIT game at The Pete would have probably been abysmal, as it was the last time we played in the NIT. So why go through that when you can get to work on the portal? It's more important to get ready for next year than to play in some exhibitions, which is what the NIT is.
If playing in the NIT keeps you from having success in the portal, then your staff has issues.

Reactions: brickfhouse
Never attacked any players, ever, on any posts.

You called them arrogant, disliking their coach, and not being student-athletes.

Not to pile on but the no vote is a reflection of the Coach. His arrogance, sorta like ending "The City Game", IMHO

Agreed, and it is a reflection of his leadership that this team does not enjoy the experience of preparing and playing together. make no mistake these kids will be in a gym playing, just not with the Coaches in a "team" building way.

'"student-athletes"... 🤣

I mean I agree with you, but why quit on an opportunity to play together and continue to get better? The selection committee couldn't care less about your program.

Thank goodness Ron Cook retired, so this board doesn't have to go through its predictable song and dance tomorrow. Will Joe Starkey, when he inevitably criticizes this on his radio show 152 people listen to, do enough to trigger the Lairfolk? We shall see.

Reactions: Parkview57
Selfishly i’d prefer to see them play a few more games , but they just finished.a long hard season and got ripped , they deserved better . Why risk injury to play in a few meaningless games , let them get back to being college students .

Now it’s time for JC to go get them muscle !

congrats to Duquesne !

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
NIT is like the Playoff Bowl the NFL had in the 1960’s, the third place game the NCAA Final Four used to have.

The latter two were gleefully tossed in the trash bin

As I said before, competitors want to play whether it is in front on no one or 10K.

I hate the message it sends.

I quit because I didn't get what I think I deserved is not an attitude to be applauded.

You're reducing something complex down to a surface level logic. It's not 1946 anymore - the NIT's cache died with the advent of television. Them losing MSG as a venue was a kiss of death and killed the small bit of relevance they had. If the NIT was run by creative folks, maybe they could devise a way to incentivize competition through NIL. But it's owned by the NCAA, a dinosaur not nimble enough to adapt.

You have another chance to address why Heather would have ever allowed it to go to a vote. Could it possibly be because it would have been me, possibly you, and 750 of our closest friends watching a frakenlineup bearing no resemblance to anything we saw the five months prior?

Reactions: 303vND
If playing in the NIT keeps you from having success in the portal, then your staff has issues.

The fact is that the NIT is and has been nothing more than exhibition games disguised as consolation games for those who didn't make the NCAAT. I feel the same way about exhibition football games disguised as "bowl" games, except for the final 8 or so teams in the playoffs and a few others. Pitt hasn't played in a real bowl game in decades. Maybe the football team could have taken a few pointers from the basketball team.

I was looking forward to seeing Pitt play some NIT games just as much as anyone. But I certainly understand their reasoning. It was mainly the players, not the coaches, who made this decision, I would guess. Maybe they just felt dissed and said, "Screw you" to the NIT.

For selfish reasons I would have liked to see this team play together a few more times. I know they're disappointed but I think they should have played out the string.

Reactions: Black Panther
I showed your posts. How can you deny it?
Haha, they are all directed at HCJC that is how, he is not my idea of a good Coach, that's all, he is doing fine so it does not matter, but I would prefer a different college type persona

The irony of Paco wanting to take his ball and go home after he thinks the players took their ball and went home I think is completely lost on him
Follow the leader, no?

No one voluntarily supports things they don't agree with. I very much do not agree with this decision, obviously, for all the reasons I've already stated.

It's one thing for players to go vote that way in the heat of the moment....I get that because of the disappointment. I've seen it first hand, although it wasn't the disappointment at that time as much as disillusion with the staff that came with a season ending unraveling. And it took playing exactly one game to get that competitive juice back, and that one game proved to be a springboard.

In fact, I admit to falling victim of the snap emotional response and I shouldn't have made such rash declarative statements earlier in this thread. However, it is quite another for leadership to go along with the decision. Primarily, I believe it sends a horrible message, and my opinion on that will not change.

I was part of Pitt well before the current leadership was here, and will be here after it is gone. But where I direct my support to the athletic department is something I'll have to think about after this. For sure, right now I don't have much enthusiasm for further contributing to the payments to those that decided to quit on the season.

Last edited:
Haha, they are all directed at HCJC that is how, he is not my idea of a good Coach, that's all, he is doing fine so it does not matter, but I would prefer a different college type persona
Capel didn't vote. You can't blame him. The players voted. You can ONLY blame them. And you did. The last post I cited you called them quitters.

Maybe you don't understand what "reflection of" means. It means they are mirroring him. By calling them a reflection of his arrogance, you are calling them arrogant.

With you leaving the Progra—no season tickets, no donations—sounds like quitting to me. Put your name in the fan portal.
Just a few thoughts:
- First of all the NIT is nowhere near as important as it once was, MANY MANY years ago. Today
you're seen as an afterthought if you go to NIT. Just look at the teams turning it down.
- Player and coach imput in today's world is looked at differently. Not surprised AD Lyke agreed.
- $$$$......Pitt athletic dept. would lose money. High ependitures, very little revenue.

- Last but not least..... put your name in the fan portal. Now that's funny, first time I ever heard
that one. :)

Reactions: Parkview57
Yes. I can’t stand people quitting on their teams when there’s a bowl game left. Doesn’t make them wrong, but I hate it. I want to see people finish what they started.

The players voted.
Sorry, no where is it written anyone voted. Look it up. From the PG

"We made the decision to decline an NIT invitation as a team and with the support of our university leadership. It was a difficult choice, but ultimately what is best for our student-athletes".

Paco still thinks it’s 1943 apparently.
The funny thing is that college sports in the 1930s were a lot more similar to the current situation in college athletics than people realize.

Read some news articles about college sports from back then. Take the years out and ignore the much more eloquent writing, and you'd be hard pressed to decide if it wasn't written in the last five years. The major difference is scale, but not issues.

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT