ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Oklahoma reach out to SEC

Clemson would have zero reason to join the SEC. They are sitting pretty in the ACC right now. They have no reason to try and compete with Alabama and Georgia in the SEC where they will be killed with the "small school" stuff we are used to from our big ten neighbors. FSU would have to hire an army of fluffers to make Florida consider adding them to the SEC.
The same could be said with Oklahoma though.

He’s a cool dude. This was a few years prior during the first expansion. We ended up going to mcardles pub on 16th and dude just busted out Sinatra for karaoke.

Then we ended up at some after hours bar on Jane street a few blocks down. I asked him a question at pipers around 9pm and we drank a zillion beers after til well after 3am.
Yeah. I heard he had gout really bad, lost alot of weight and quit drinking.

Clemson would have zero reason to join the SEC. They are sitting pretty in the ACC right now. They have no reason to try and compete with Alabama and Georgia in the SEC where they will be killed with the "small school" stuff we are used to from our big ten neighbors. FSU would have to hire an army of fluffers to make Florida consider adding them to the SEC.
Yeah I would think OU and Texas to the SEC essentially "fills it up". Why expand anymore? What would FSU and Clemson bring?

This makes more sense now with the incoming 12 team playoff, in which there are no caps on number of teams from conference to make it, and no rules for conference champions to be included. So theoretically, an 8-4 Oklahoma team, who lost close games to say Alabama, LSU, Texas and Florida could be included over a 10-2 Pac 12 Champion Oregon.

What college football needs to be careful though.....it is not concentrating itself that it will become NASCAR and limit audience.

Without all of the national championships the last few years and a two hour car ride from Atlanta or Charlotte......hotbeds of D1 talent. All I am saying is Clemson is sitting pretty right now and has no reason to change anything.

Without all of the national championships the last few years and a two hour car ride from Atlanta or Charlotte......hotbeds of D1 talent. All I am saying is Clemson is sitting pretty right now and has no reason to change anything.
But they have made the playoffs numerous times, are a car ride from Dallas, and near the hotbed of Texas for recruiting.

At the end of the day, it's about money.

Yeah I would think OU and Texas to the SEC essentially "fills it up". Why expand anymore? What would FSU and Clemson bring?

This makes more sense now with the incoming 12 team playoff, in which there are no caps on number of teams from conference to make it, and no rules for conference champions to be included. So theoretically, an 8-4 Oklahoma team, who lost close games to say Alabama, LSU, Texas and Florida could be included over a 10-2 Pac 12 Champion Oregon.

What college football needs to be careful though.....it is not concentrating itself that it will become NASCAR and limit audience.
Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC would make sense. The center of power of the SEC has been drifting westward for a long time now. Texas and Oklahoma also fit the SEC mentality so perfectly in the current era. As an older guy, I just can't see old SWC Texas and Oklahoma in the SEC. That was like oil and water back in my early days.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if no reaction from the normally knee-jerk B10 (although Delaney drove alot of that).
Unfortunately the 'Left-Over' conference could be back on the table for some...
This and NIL and I'm out....

Question, which I know I could research to find the answer but I figured someone on here knows this. Under the existing television deals do member institutions get equal shares; I think they do under each of the existing agreements. If that is currently true, I think this could open the door towards specific schools posturing/demanding a larger market share of the overall conference deal to the detriment of their conference colleagues. Which might be the start of conferences falling apart between the haves and havenots inside individual conferences.

Reactions: WVUinColumbus
4 super conferences appear to be the future here with the B12 moving fully to the AAC, CUSA Mountain West level (some could argue they were already about there).

The worry is what the B10 does to get to 16. If ND isnt an option then does the ACC GOR have enough teeth and penalty to stop any poaching? Looking at best fits for the B10 to add two schools would be
Missouri - they wont leave SEC, too much money
UNC/UVA - seems like the best fits. expands footprint into growing markets. but would these ACC blue bloods ever leave? Not sure of the UNC relationship with Duke and if they would ever split.
NC State - more likely than UNC/Duke to leave as they have always been the younger brother of the others. This would accomplish B10 goals getting a large state school in the southeast
B12 leftover? Not sure any move the needle in anyway to dilute the money

Reactions: HailToPitt725
The one conference this kills is the AAC. If/When this happens, the B12 will immediately bring in 2-4 of the following schools:

UCF
Houston
SMU
Memphis
Boise St
Cincinnati

If you’re the B12, UCF/Boise/Houston should be slam dunk picks. Assuming they take 4, the competition for that last spot will be insane. SMU is recruiting well but if you take Houston, it would be tough to take another Texas school. Memphis is the strongest across FB/BB and has FedEx money behind them but potential sanctions on BB could hurt them. Cincy football is hot right now, but how much of that is Fickell dependent?

Losing OU/UT is brutal but cherry picking the top AAC programs & Boise could create a really fun conference. The AAC will be totaled however and the 2-3 programs that get left behind will take a huge hit.

The only way the B1G could counter is by grabbing Clemson and ND. Just can’t see that. I see Clemson going SEC before B1G but they’re in perfect position to coast to playoff every year in ACC. FSU and Miami will never be what they were because of SEC schools and Ohio State recruiting FLA so well.

The one conference this kills is the AAC. If/When this happens, the B12 will immediately bring in 2-4 of the following schools:

UCF
Houston
SMU
Memphis
Boise St
Cincinnati

If you’re the B12, UCF/Boise/Houston should be slam dunk picks. Assuming they take 4, the competition for that last spot will be insane. SMU is recruiting well but if you take Houston, it would be tough to take another Texas school. Memphis is the strongest across FB/BB and has FedEx money behind them but potential sanctions on BB could hurt them. Cincy football is hot right now, but how much of that is Fickell dependent?

Losing OU/UT is brutal but cherry picking the top AAC programs & Boise could create a really fun conference. The AAC will be totaled however and the 2-3 programs that get left behind will take a huge hit.
Nah. XII will go away. I wouldn’t be surprised if SEC grabs more than the big 2. Okie Lite being one of them.

Question, which I know I could research to find the answer but I figured someone on here knows this. Under the existing television deals do member institutions get equal shares; I think they do under each of the existing agreements. If that is currently true, I think this could open the door towards specific schools posturing/demanding a larger market share of the overall conference deal to the detriment of their conference colleagues. Which might be the start of conferences falling apart between the haves and havenots inside individual conferences.
Bingo! Yes. Currently equal shares. That won’t be the case. Totally agree with you.

Reactions: JSSTartan
IF you're the SEC you go to 16 with Oklahoma and Texas and any future expansion may be linked to kicking out someone who doesn't fit the profile (Vandy). I would expect OU and Texas join SEC but will wait until their GOR ends in a few years. This gives everyone else plenty of time to start building up their war chests. If you're the B1G, you feel out ND, UVA, and UNC/NCSt. If they're no go, you start feeling out Clemson and FSU. If you're the ACC you put on a bigger press for ND and add in WVU and call it a day. If ND is a no go, you wait as unfortunately you don't have enough to bargain with compared to the B1G and SEC.

They are shared equally. What you proposed was done in the big xii and it fell apart.

I just don't see that happening in the SEC or big.

I dunno. I know that a lot has changed in 24 hours...but I can't see how the Big 10 moves until ND picks a partner

IF you're the SEC you go to 16 with Oklahoma and Texas and any future expansion may be linked to kicking out someone who doesn't fit the profile (Vandy). I would expect OU and Texas join SEC but will wait until their GOR ends in a few years. This gives everyone else plenty of time to start building up their war chests. If you're the B1G, you feel out ND, UVA, and UNC/NCSt. If they're no go, you start feeling out Clemson and FSU. If you're the ACC you put on a bigger press for ND and add in WVU and call it a day. If ND is a no go, you wait as unfortunately you don't have enough to bargain with compared to the B1G and SEC.

What does WVU bring the ACC other than size? Some intriguing rivalry games, but is that enough to bring everyone additional $ per team? That's the main problem. The primary thing they have going for them is geography and old rivalries with Pitt, Syracuse, and Tech, and I don't know if that is enough.

Last edited:
What does WVU bring the ACC other than size? Some intriguing rivalry games, but is that enough to bring everyone additional $ per team? That's the main problem. The only thing they have going for them is geography and old rivalries with Pitt, Syracuse, and Tech, and I don't know if that is enough.
as far as an objective view in regards to adding financial gain to a conference, like ESPN will say Whoa, this is great and we need to give you guys a new tv deal now, well no, very few schools will do this..

i think UT and OU will for the sec despite their tv deal being sick now. But really if you look at it from strictly a financial deal, no one outside of an ND does this. maybe you look at the idea of going from 14 to 16 and getting more content (more conference games) as a negotiating strategy? You say that the ACC is now at 16 and we will go to a 9 conference schedule so now espn has 10% more games so then you go ask for more money or get more money from the ACCN..

Reactions: ThePanthers
I'm a little late to the party here but this is more likely a way to put pressure on the rest of the Big12 members to give in to Texas' and OU's demands. Most likely it's an unequal revenue distribution. They know the conference doesn't exist without them (although this is true of Texas to a far greater extent) and that many of the remaining schools would be in serious risk of staying in the P5 (or P4).

If you believe the numbers that Texas publishes, they would almost be taking a cut to move. Particularly if they have to give up the Longhorn Network. OU is the wildcard. They've been unhappy with the Big12 arrangement and want more of the pie. I would expect the other schools to give in and take revenue cuts to hold the conference together.

I think the B1G looks west not southeast, the PAC12's media deal ends in 2024 so no GOR holding anyone down plus there's more attractive options compared to UVA, UNC and GT(Clemson, FSU and Miami would never jump). The big issue with raiding the PAC12 would be expanding to 18 or 20, I don't think USC and Oregon would jump if they were the only two western schools added, going to 20 would make the most sense(Washington, Oregon, Stanford, UCLA, USC, and Colorado), would the media money be there for that many teams and could the state schools be able to divorce from their in state conference mates.

Reactions: JSSTartan
What does WVU bring the ACC other than size? Some intriguing rivalry games, but is that enough to bring everyone additional $ per team? That's the main problem. The primary thing they have going for them is geography and old rivalries with Pitt, Syracuse, and Tech, and I don't know if that is enough.

as far as an objective view in regards to adding financial gain to a conference, like ESPN will say Whoa, this is great and we need to give you guys a new tv deal now, well no, very few schools will do this..

i think UT and OU will for the sec despite their tv deal being sick now. But really if you look at it from strictly a financial deal, no one outside of an ND does this. maybe you look at the idea of going from 14 to 16 and getting more content (more conference games) as a negotiating strategy? You say that the ACC is now at 16 and we will go to a 9 conference schedule so now espn has 10% more games so then you go ask for more money or get more money from the ACCN..
This is why i say WVU is contingent on the ND deal. The addition of WVU with ND will add more rivalry games which is what will matter to the conferences going forward as it's no longer about getting the conference championship for a shot at a playoff birth. If you don't get ND, ACC likely waits it out unless adding more rivalry inventory and an extra conference game will allow for an expansion of the current deal with ESPN and the GoRs to protect itself from the SEC/B1G war that is coming.

i just feel like ND has told us no soo many times and yet for some unknown reason, we somehow think it's still an option. we are like the stalkers who have asked the girl in the office out 250 times and every time she said no and she's contacted HR, also put a restraining order out on us and we are still looking at our phones, thinking she will text us any minute now..

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
i just feel like ND has told us no soo many times and yet for some unknown reason, we somehow think it's still an option. we are like the stalkers who have asked the girl in the office out 250 times and every time she said no and she's contacted HR, also put a restraining order out on us and we are still looking at our phones, thinking she will text us any minute now..
Sounds like you have a script for a Lifetime Channel movie.

4 super conferences appear to be the future here with the B12 moving fully to the AAC, CUSA Mountain West level (some could argue they were already about there).

The worry is what the B10 does to get to 16. If ND isnt an option then does the ACC GOR have enough teeth and penalty to stop any poaching? Looking at best fits for the B10 to add two schools would be
Missouri - they wont leave SEC, too much money
UNC/UVA - seems like the best fits. expands footprint into growing markets. but would these ACC blue bloods ever leave? Not sure of the UNC relationship with Duke and if they would ever split.
NC State - more likely than UNC/Duke to leave as they have always been the younger brother of the others. This would accomplish B10 goals getting a large state school in the southeast
B12 leftover? Not sure any move the needle in anyway to dilute the money
Here's the thing. Oklahoma and Texas are Oklahoma and Texas. They move needles. Alot of them. Outside of maybe Clemson or Florida State, who in the ACC would for the Big 10? UNC and UVa maybe better than Rutgers and Maryland, but not by much.

Reactions: Dan1911
Here's the thing. Oklahoma and Texas are Oklahoma and Texas. They move needles. Alot of them. Outside of maybe Clemson or Florida State, who in the ACC would for the Big 10? UNC and UVa maybe better than Rutgers and Maryland, but not by much.
no body wants Uva. maybe 10 years ago you had the "expanding the footprint" angle but that's irrelevant now in this day and age.. unc is a nice get but they are the heart of the acc..

They are shared equally. What you proposed was done in the big xii and it fell apart.

I just don't see that happening in the SEC or big.
Thanks. I am not proposing it, I am envisioning the true power schools within each conference taking this position as it relates to revenue for football. From Alabama, Ohio State, Texas, etc. perspective, why subsidize their conferenced colleagues? For conference strength? If the 12 team CFB expansion happens they way that it seems it would, conferences are sort of not relevant to it anymore. I think it would be terrible and further fracture the competitiveness of CFB. There are several layers of haves and have-nots and something like this would separate the elite haves from the upper haves and from the lower haves.

People are envisioning 4 mega conferences of 16 teams each and I used to agree with that speculation. However, the more I think of it, I envision something a little different. The top 32 or so teams join together and separate and sure they can play the other 32 or so of the “top 64”, but the top 32 or so could be divided into grouplets of 4 and round-robin it; and couple that with a rotation of playing another grouplet, plus two or three games against the other 32 of the “top 64”.

Reactions: WVUinColumbus
I think we keep banging that drum because WE think it's be good for ND. Well, ND doesn't see it that way. We've given them a place for their non-revenue sports can thrive while keeping ND FB as a separate, highly financed business. They made the ACC look like a conference dumb enough to have their hoops tourney in Mayberry. Ohhh.....nevermind.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof

I think what you’re banking on if you’re the ACC is developing a relationship with ND where they have to join you if they join anybody (which ACC has done), and the dominos falling create a situation where ND has to join somebody.

Not really. If Texas leaves, the Big 12 would fold. OU just isn’t strong enough to carry the conference with the main recruiting footbed now a complete SEC stronghold.

OU needs to be proactive if Texas is going to jump.

I think what you’re banking on if you’re the ACC is developing a relationship with ND where they have to join you if they join anybody (which ACC has done), and the dominos falling create a situation where ND has to join somebody.
yeah but we've been saying that ND has to join a conference since 2004. anytime anything expansion related happens then everyone says that this will make ND join a conference. i've heard this multiple times and ND never has to join a conference and if anything, they are better off than before..

we've been saying that the creation of the playoffs, ND will have to join. When big east folded, ND will have to join. now rumors of 12 game playoffs, ND will have to join. Now ou/ut are going to sec, ND will have to join.
it's all wishful thinking. ND holds the power, they dont have to join anything.

Difference between US and Europe

- big money, for-profit Euro PRO soccer teams want to create a superleague and their fans protest and boycott their quest for profit over rivalries and tradition going as far as causing games to be suspended and demanding owners sell their teams

- non-profit COLLEGE football teams want to start superleagues in a quest for bigger profits and fans celebrate this decision. Who needs to play long-time rivals when your favorite college football team can make more money that is irrelevant to you as a fan.

The OSU point is what I thought of. The Oklahoma legislature is probably already probably having talks about passing some kind of law requiring any conference to take little brother if they want OU.

That was really the ACC’s best bet. They could offer the state of Texas a spot for both state schools, or offer Oklahoma the same thing.

This. It's how the ACC initially ended up with VT instead of Syracuse. They wanted Syracuse. UVA opposed VT. The Governor of VA told the members of the UVA Board "you serve at my pleasure and I want VT in the ACC" so UVA's vote changed from "for" to "against."

The government of Oklahoma is going to do everything it can to get OSU wherever OU goes. Everything.

At this point if the SEC adds Texas, and OU. They could probably then add Clemson, and ND and be done with the NCAA. They would be so much above everyone else.
They could probably have their own football National Championship, they’re own playoffs, a billion dollar tv contract.
Three 6 team divisions, the 3 division winners make the playoffs, 2 teams play a wild card game to get into their final four. They wouldn’t need the rest of the NCAA 😀

HailtoPitt, you are a good poster.... but so wrong on this one. As a guy who has lived in the south for the last 5 years..... Pitt is probably given way more respect than it deserves by southerners (at least the east coast southerners). As a whole, everyone I know who has come up north to Pittsburgh has nothing but good things to say. Most of them have nothing but bad things to say about the rest of the Northeast. Now for the big ten, Pitt will always be too small to matter (the Penn State affect). And right or wrong, there is way more North South travel between citizens of Pittsburgh and other ACC schools than East West Travel from Pittsburgh to say Minneapolis. And finally, the southern boys view Pittsburgh as a place full of hard ass, tough as nails SOBs who are not to snobby to eat barbecue and go fishing on a nice day. Even if that is not necessarily true, it helps with recruiting some of these southern kids who know nothing else but want to experience a bigger town.

I think it comes down to why people see as more exciting opponents for Pitt every year. Having PSU, OSU, Michigan and Wisconsin as frequent visitors seems better than the ACC opponents.

Reactions: Phillypanther2
If the game is to grab the largest brands...I'd have to believe that Notre Dame is the next one. I would also think that the Big 10 is going to ramp up the pressure on them.

Notre Dame has turned down the B10 over and over again for the last 40 years. It ain't happening. ND understands that the B10 and the Midwest in general face a demographic time bomb and the ACC is ND's lifeline away from that.

Reactions: HOF Coach
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT