ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Oklahoma reach out to SEC

16 conference, 4 team, 4pod system is good. Play 3 teams in your pod annually and two in each of the other three and rotate.

Gets you nine games and you play everyone in conference once every two years while keeping you in conference annual matchups alive.

The reason a 32 team conference will not happen is because a few good programs will have to lose a lot games each year and with no draft like the NFL the path out of basement would be really tough.
I think it’s going to be more than 32. I think it’ll be 40-50. Payments will certainly be tiered. This ensures 5-7 HUGE games for every program. Not 2 (like Ohio State) or 1 (like Clemson...and that’s out of conference). The best of the best will still have half of its schedule be a cream puff, relatively speaking.

Thamel said it best...”realignment a decade ago was a LAND grab (based on cable and population centers). Today it’s a BRAND grab”.

Better have a good brand with lots of downloads/subscriptions!

Sorry Wake, NW and Oregon St.

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt725
In 1980, the following P5/major schools were independents.

BC, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Miami, ND, PSU, Pitt, Rutgers, South Carolina, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, WVU

Today it's only ND because alone, none of the other schools could pull off being an independent. Do you think Texas would consider another conference other than it's own because being an independent is better?
Your point stands, but BYU is also independent.

Sounds like too much oxy in this post
Haha, no I actually had this idea prior to my Original Herniated Disc Surgery and was not on any Pain Meds at the time. I admit my bias to establishing a PITT Monterey Peninsula Branch Campus, since I have been a past California Coastal Resident though, and with Conference Expansion last time, and having also been at UCLA and USC, I thought might as well find a way to join what was at the time the PAC-10. How about if we get Pebble Beach to provide all PITT Alumni 3 Free Rounds of Golf per year, along with 1 Round at Spyglass and 1 Round at the Links at Spanish Bay in that same area in the Branch Campus and Stadium Deal?

The reason a 32 team conference will not happen is because a few good programs will have to lose a lot games each year and with no draft like the NFL the path out of basement would be really tough.
Wasn't that why the old (I mean OLD) Southern Conference fractured and spun off first the SEC and later the ACC?

In 1980, the following P5/major schools were independents.

BC, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Miami, ND, PSU, Pitt, Rutgers, South Carolina, Syracuse, Virginia Tech, WVU

Today it's only ND because alone, none of the other schools could pull off being an independent. Do you think Texas would consider another conference other than it's own because being an independent is better?
Talk about a “what if.” Wonder where a conference featuring those independents would be today, in relation to the rest of the “Power 5 landscape”…

Reactions: pittdan77
This. It's how the ACC initially ended up with VT instead of Syracuse. They wanted Syracuse. UVA opposed VT. The Governor of VA told the members of the UVA Board "you serve at my pleasure and I want VT in the ACC" so UVA's vote changed from "for" to "against."

The government of Oklahoma is going to do everything it can to get OSU wherever OU goes. Everything.
Nope. Massive difference. VT was going to be left behind in a sh!t league. OKST and TT will go the Pac 12 which is a fine, stable league. Yes, politicians may object but in the end, OU and Texas will go wherever they please......ya know just like Texas A&M

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I don't know that Texas could do better than their current arrangement even with SEC money. That's what makes this weird. I'm sure they'd listen to the ACC if the conference didn't object to unbalancing the TV revenue.
The SEC is projected to distribute $66 million per school by 2025 and that is before Texas and OU join. Even with the Longhorn Network they would still be over $20 million behind the SEC and $25 million behind the Big Ten.

The SEC is projected to distribute $66 million per school by 2025 and that is before Texas and OU join. Even with the Longhorn Network they would still be over $20 million behind the SEC and $25 million behind the Big Ten.
Acc will never be in same ball park as sec or big 10. In 19, acc was paying 27m-34m per team, that’s about 1/2 of what big 10 ten teams received.

Hopefully we can at least get up there with pac 10 or big 12 though. Big 12 paid out 38m

Nope. Massive difference. VT was going to be left behind in a sh!t league. OKST and TT will go the Pac 12 which is a fine, stable league. Yes, politicians may object but in the end, OU and Texas will go wherever they please......ya know just like Texas A&M

Why would the PAC 12 want either of those teams?

Why would the PAC 12 want either of those teams?
2 good, but not spectacular teams in good markets. TT isnt just Lubbock. They have a state-wide fanbase similar to many state schools. The P12 would leap at the chance to get into Texas.

And if OKC is good enough for the NBA, its good enough for the P12. Stillwater is halfway between OKC and Tulsa.

They'd have to shake up the divisions if it was just those 2 but I could see them adding 2 of Baylor, TCU, and Houston to lock down Texas.

P12 East
OKST
TT
TCU
Houston
Colorado
Utah
Arizona
Arizona State

Pac 12 West
USC
UCLA
Cal
Stanford
Oregon
Oregon State
Washington
Washington St

This would be the original Pac 8 plus the new 8

2 good, but not spectacular teams in good markets. TT isnt just Lubbock. They have a state-wide fanbase similar to many state schools. The P12 would leap at the chance to get into Texas.

And if OKC is good enough for the NBA, its good enough for the P12. Stillwater is halfway between OKC and Tulsa.

They'd have to shake up the divisions if it was just those 2 but I could see them adding 2 of Baylor, TCU, and Houston to lock down Texas.

P12 East
OKST
TT
TCU
Houston
Colorado
Utah
Arizona
Arizona State

Pac 12 West
USC
UCLA
Cal
Stanford
Oregon
Oregon State
Washington
Washington St

This would be the original Pac 8 plus the new 8
If the PAC12 does decide to pick through the Big 12 scraps there not taking any of the private schools, sure the PAC12 has Stanford and USC but they're Stanford and USC not Baylor and TCU.

Kansas is going to find a new home in the Big 10, PAC12, or ACC. They have an elite basketball brand, they bring in the Kansas City market, and have good academics. Their football team has been bad, but their overall revenue stream is pretty good.

Reactions: bayardstreet
I looked it up. The Big 12 average payout is $38 million and UT claims another $20 million in other media rights. So yes, not as much, assuming there isn't an unequal distribution of revenue. So you are correct.

The problem seems to be what is going to happen going forward. I do think OU and UT want a larger share of the conference payout.

Kansas is going to find a new home in the Big 10, PAC12, or ACC. They have an elite basketball brand, they bring in the Kansas City market, and have good academics. Their football team isn’t good, but their overall revenue stream is pretty good.
I’m telling you something that will NOT happen. We can all agree this is all about football. The B1G screwed up last time by taking RU and Maryland.

The SEC takes UT and OU. The B1G is NOT countering with Kansas. They just aren’t. Trust that.

The two big names that make most sense for B1G are Clemson and FSU, period. Now whether they can pull them from ACC remains to be seen.

ND is farther away right now from joining a conference than they’ve ever been. They’ll join a league when conference format ultimately disappears.

Talk about a “what if.” Wonder where a conference featuring those independents would be today, in relation to the rest of the “Power 5 landscape”…
There was a certain coach that didn't want to form that conference unless it was on his terms. And he didn't want the southern schools. I think an "all eastern" conference would have been a bad thing given the demographic shifts but who really knows.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
As long as the powers that be that control the playoff format continue to allow notre dame to have a seat at the table, they will remain independent.

Reactions: ThePanthers
There was a certain coach that didn't want to form that conference unless it was on his terms. And he didn't want the southern schools. I think an "all eastern" conference would have been a bad thing given the demographic shifts but who really knows.
yep, still bugs me to this day. a great idea from "he who must not be named" but he wanted to keep the football revenue but share the hoops revenue equally.. had he just been ok with equal sharing, we could still have an Eastern Athletic conference..

But i do think pitt leaders back then were petty and still wouldnt have gone along with anything that jp proposed..

Even if that coach got the conference he wanted, he'd still would have bolted when the Big 10 came calling.

Interesting discussion…

I’m telling you something that will NOT happen. We can all agree this is all about football. The B1G screwed up last time by taking RU and Maryland.

The SEC takes UT and OU. The B1G is NOT countering with Kansas. They just aren’t. Trust that.

The two big names that make most sense for B1G are Clemson and FSU, period. Now whether they can pull them from ACC remains to be seen.

ND is farther away right now from joining a conference than they’ve ever been. They’ll join a league when conference format ultimately disappears.

Also agree with this, although I think they'd also entertain looking at UVA and UNC. Or VT and UNC.

But they aren't going to bring in Kansas IMO.

Interesting discussion…

Summary? I can't listen right now.

yep, still bugs me to this day. a great idea from "he who must not be named" but he wanted to keep the football revenue but share the hoops revenue equally.. had he just been ok with equal sharing, we could still have an Eastern Athletic conference..

But i do think pitt leaders back then were petty and still wouldnt have gone along with anything that jp proposed..
Joe wanted a 6-4 schedule from every school in the east. If he had it his way, they would have played 8 or 9 home games a year. That was the problem.

Well, to be fair, he wanted an unequal revenue model and never saw the potential TV deals coming that would have favored that gigantic media market. It could have easily gone the other way. We'll never know.
would have been cool to see though, especially in mid - late 80's when we were still decent and wvu was good, cuse was really strong as well as psu. even programs like BC were decent and you could have possibly talked The U into it.. think it would have stabalized us into 90's but who knows with those leaders back then, we'd still have found a way to muck it up.

and on flip side, we wouldnt have had the Big east hoops that we knew and loved..

Joe wanted a 6-4 schedule from every school in the east. If he had it his way, they would have played 8 or 9 home games a year. That was the problem.
geez, i didnt even know that. i did know he wanted to keep football revenue. what a clown,

I would predict Kansas, Oklahoma St, Baylor, and TT to the PAC12. Then pair them up with Arizona, ASU, Utah, and Colorado for their half of the division.

I would predict Kansas, Oklahoma St, Baylor, and TT to the PAC12. Then pair them up with Arizona, ASU, Utah, and Colorado for their half of the division.
Nobody even knows if the Pac12 can pull off a TV deal that keeps them relevant right now. There is talk that the new deal might only be in the $110-$130 million range. That's not a whole lot better than the AAC on a per school basis. AAC could just as easily poach those schools and renegotiate.

That's not a bad prediction. I could see those 4 moving to the pac12. Pac doesn't have much choice if they want to expand. They are going to have to make compromises. I don't know if any of those 4 really bring the value that they will have to pay them but it makes more sense than the big 10 or acc adding those schools.

Now for wvu I don't know what happens I think the new acc can be persuaded to take them but does anyone else come close to justifying the payout. With say a ND theyadd enough you could add anyone and increase your value but wvu might be ok but you have to add one more and I don't see anyone else who is a fit

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT