ADVERTISEMENT

The B1G TV deal just dropped

That's the most sane answer to the question. The B1G escalator is going to take a somewhat valuable brand to make it happen. Maybe an SEC school? I know, crazy talk, but why wouldn't the B1G go whale fishing?
The B1G wants ND. They are the whale. BUT . . . . . ND has had a standing offer to join the B1G for like forever. Yet they remain a football Indy.

ND clearly wants to remain a football Indy, too. Above ANYTHING else. See no reason to believe they won’t get the financial deal they’re looking for. So can’t imagine their position will change over $$$$$$ alone.

It’s so dam frustrating that Miami plops in the bed nearly every season, but suddenly plays above and beyond their potential against us. 😡
That’s one side of the equation. The other is that Pitt typically - for whatever the reasons - looks like they play below their capabilities vs Miami.

Why do both of those things happen? Lots of FL guys on the Pitt team, so maybe that has something to do with it? But it seems to be as much an intangible thing as it does about physical play.

And in 2017, when Miami was undefeated (I remember watching them absolutely clobber ND on national TV) and REALLY needed to win to keep their national championship hopes alive, they lost here to Pitt (and then FR QB Kenny Pickett). That sent the U into a season-ending tailspin.

But there is no doubt Pitt needs to up their game vs the ‘Canes. That’s a LONG way off though. Lots of big ones to play between now and then.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
The B1G wants ND. They are the whale. BUT . . . . . ND has had a standing offer to join the B1G for like forever. Yet they remain a football Indy.

ND clearly wants to remain a football Indy, too. Above ANYTHING else. See no reason to believe they won’t get the financial deal they’re looking for. So can’t imagine their position will change over $$$$$$ alone.
The B1G does want ND but ND doesn't appear to want them or anyone else. At least that appears to be the case so if the B1G wants to expand, they have to do it with another school that would be on that level.

No. Because it's also about matchups. Moving a unc or fsu etc to the big or sec is worth more to the networks than them playing in the acc.

They will move in the future. It's a matter of when.
yeah, I didn't think it would, but seems the GOR may be saving them. And seems ND gonna get enough a bump to stay indy. So they may stay mostly intact until the next round of SEC/B10 tv deals in 10 yrs...

The B1G does want ND but ND doesn't appear to want them or anyone else. At least that appears to be the case so if the B1G wants to expand, they have to do it with another school that would be on that level.
Don’t see any other available interested program capable of bringing with them a guaranteed $100 million a year to attract the tv people to increase the contract $$$$ to keep the payout for the other 16 from having their share drop. Guess we’ll have to wait and see?

Reactions: pittdan77
Don’t see any other available interested program capable of bringing with them a guaranteed $100 million a year to attract the tv people to increase the contract $$$$ to keep the payout for the other 16 from having their share drop. Guess we’ll have to wait and see?
Honestly, I don't really see what UCLA brings to the table in that regard. Feels like adding Rutgers. "It's not about the market anymore." Someone reported that UCLA had two members of the media at their practice the other day. Doesn't make sense.

Honestly, I don't really see what UCLA brings to the table in that regard. Feels like adding Rutgers. "It's not about the market anymore." Someone reported that UCLA had two members of the media at their practice the other day. Doesn't make sense.
UCLA was included to:
  1. Keep the conference numbers even (16)
  2. USC wanted a travel partner/West Coast presence so they wouldn‘t be a total outlier

The pretty girl (USCw) always makes sure her average looking friend (UCLA) goes to the party with her, so that she has support, but not competition.

i thought everyone was moving to the south, out of these fly over states.
LOL. Maybe they're getting ahead of the inevitable population exodus back north in a couple years when it's 115 in the shade from June to September over the entire southeast and southwest.

If Clemson, UNC, FSU, and Miami are so valuable to the networks, it stands to reason that they could carry the ACC's tv package, similar to how a handful of schools do so in the other conferences. Then again, it's not like three of those four schools have been giving anyone a reason to put them on TV regularly.

Well I guess time will tell. In 5 to 10 years when they are in the big or sec well see their value. It's the same as usc or ucla. Only worth like 40m in the pac but 75 to 80 in the big.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
It's the same thing. The money has shown that the fan has benefited zero from it. Name a school that invested it into something for the fans? Did Indiana get better concessions? He'll they didn't even get better players. That goes for 10 other schools in that conf
The schools cannot pay the players (yet) so as of now, all this extra money can do in terms of on-field product (ie winning games) is buy better coaches. But that's not a guarantee of success. For example, Rutgers can pay much more for a coach that Pitt can. If they offered Narduzzi $10 million/year, does that guarantee they will be better than Pitt who hires the flavor of the month MAC coach for $3 million/year?

When I read the sports news, the thing I ask myself, "is the the type of information that I can use to gloat to strangers on the internet? "

45e.jpg

Penn State fans on the Pitt message board celebrating their 3rd place B1G finish because they got $100 million in tv money.

It's the same as usc or ucla. Only worth like 40m in the pac but 75 to 80 in the big.

If you saw what was in the California Board of Regents meeting the other day, their estimate was that USC, and USC alone, leaving the PAC12 would have cost the PAC12 $12 million PER SCHOOL less in the television contract that they are currently negotiating.

Multiply that $12 million per school by the number of schools that would be left if only USC left and get back to us on that "only worth like 40m in the pac" statement.

My Lions will be in the Playoffs in the next 2 to 3 years. Keep in mind, word is that the CF playoffs are expanding in the very near future and outside of our OL, the roster is STACKED. Wanna make some easy money? PSU is taking down OSU this year.

The sad thing is that you probably believe that.

Penn State fans on the Pitt message board celebrating their 3rd place B1G finish because they got $100 million in tv money.

Hmmm. 3rd place in the B1G with $100M annually VS broke and begging the MAC for an invite in 3 years? It’s a tough one.

For a program on life support, you Pitt goofs sure do talk a lot 😂

Hmmm. 3rd place in the B1G with $100M annually VS broke and begging the MAC for an invite in 3 years? It’s a tough one.

You finished 4th in the B1G east division actually, nitter. 11-11 overall the last 2 seasons. 9-11 vs P5 opposition. And that includes beating cream puffs Rutgers, Maryland & Indiana last season. VERY impressive.

Slippin’ Jimmy has to be laughing all the way to the bank.

We've won the same amount of conference championships in the last 15 years.

Penn State doesn't matter. I've lived all over the country and PSU is either despised or ignored everywhere I go. You're a souped up version of Virginia Tech with a child rape scandal.

Congrats on getting the bag. Maybe try to win 5 games this year.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
The new revenue will be nice but since all your conference teams share it, it will have diminishing returns for the larger revenue teams and benefit the Purdue's more per capita. It's not really a win for PSU *in conference*.

The new revenue will be nice but since all your conference teams share it, it will have diminishing returns for the larger revenue teams and benefit the Purdue's more per capita. It's not really a win for PSU *in conference*.
I agree. Frankly some the bigger players in both of those Uber conferences could make more money independently, but they need to maintain some degree of continuity and ‘tradition’…for now, to avoid too much negative pub and possibly anti trust action.

Which I’m sure they know, and will eventually putting the squeeze on the other schools to allocate based on a weighted percentage of Q score or average annual rankings or TV ratings or some other metric (sorry Nits and Ron Cook, Attendance ain’t one).

Much to PSU chagrin they will find themselves getting more than Rutgers and Indiana and Maryland, but less that Ohio State, Michigan, USC and likely even UCLA. PSU will be in the middle tier with Wisconsin and Michigan State (and possibly Oregon and Washington by then, which Is a pretty inevitable addition). This could then get reshuffled over the years as trends and success change, but realistically this rarely happens so PSU will find it self pretty permanently in second class. But they can console themselves that the same thing will inevitably happen in the SEC. (I’d say the ACC as well but our very existence is not assured).

When greed is the ruling factor, as it totally is now, none of the Have’s will ever be truly satisfied with the status quo. As Homer Simpson once said to Mr. Burns, “Gee Mr. Burns, you’re the richest guy I know,” to which Mr. Burns answered wistfully, “Yes, but I’d give it all up for just a little more.”

Last edited:
Much to PSU chagrin they will find themselves getting more than Rutgers and Indiana and Maryland, but less that Ohio State, Michigan, USC and likely even UCLA. PSU will be in the middle tier with Wisconsin and Michigan State (and possibly Oregon and Washington by then, which Is a pretty inevitable addition).
If this makes you sleep better, fine. But if you’re being honest you’ll admit PSU is one of the most watched brands in the country. And since this is the metric that would be used to determine payouts in your hypothetical situation, PSU would be behind only OSU and Michigan. And well above the others you think would jump PSU.

If this makes you sleep better, fine. But if you’re being honest you’ll admit PSU is one of the most watched brands in the country. And since this is the metric that would be used to determine payouts in your hypothetical situation, PSU would be behind only OSU and Michigan. And well above the others you think would jump PSU.
They own the rapist demographic, I'll give you that.

I sleep fine. I’m not going to hell like you are.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT