ADVERTISEMENT

The Steelers offense is pathetic

pittguy81

Head Coach
Oct 28, 2005
Kenny Picket blows.....he's not an NFL starting QB......and the Steelers defense is not very good when they can;t create turnovers.....they;re getting worked by a guy that Pitt beat like a drum.......the 3rd string QB. What a f*cking joke....

Kenny Picket blows.....he's not an NFL starting QB......and the Steelers defense is not very good when they can;t create turnovers.....they;re getting worked by a guy that Pitt beat like a drum.......the 3rd string QB. What a f*cking joke....
Hate to say it, Kenny is the mediocre guy from his 1st three years at Pitt, 2021 was an anomaly, Steelers need to get someone else (not Mitch, Mason, Dobbs, Duck or Ben :) )

I sure hope you didn’t need today to come to that conclusion. I’m a big time Matt Canada/entire Steelers offensive scheme hater, but even with that, we have a good 2-years worth of games to say KP is falling a good bit short of hopes.

Reactions: Pitt79 and jctrack
I sure hope you didn’t need today to come to that conclusion. I’m a big time Matt Canada/entire Steelers offensive scheme hater, but even with that, we have a good 2-years worth of games to say KP is falling a good bit short of hopes.

I get it's a Pitt board and he'll have his defenders at all costs. But if people can't at least look at him and realize he, at the most important position in all of sports, is absolutely not a special player at all then I don't know what to tell them.

I get it's a Pitt board and he'll have his defenders at all costs. But if people can't at least look at him and realize he, at the most important position in all of sports, is absolutely not a special player at all then I don't know what to tell them.
Pickett stinks right now. Time to go with Trubisky. Pickett needs to sit. Pickett will get another chance. Hopefully when he does, he can get the job done. It is hard to tell the Steelers offense from Pitt’s. They both so pathetic.

Pickett stinks right now. Time to go with Trubisky. Pickett needs to sit. Pickett will get another chance. Hopefully when he does, he can get the job done. It is hard to tell the Steelers offense from Pitt’s. They both so pathetic.
Not disagreeing, but I can’t say with any confidence that this would be any better with Mitch or Mason. I think the design of the offense is elementary, but it doesn’t matter because the OL and QB suck.

I like that idea . With the current OL , get both Mason and Mitch killed ..
Then bring back Kenny .. It's brilliant .... :rolleyes:

Why? What would that accomplish? This team isn’t winning a Super Bowl this year with any of the three QBs on the roster. Might as well let Pickett try to figure it out. If he can’t, move on after next season.

He's not a special player. He's not terrible either & he can get better.

The Steelers didn't set up Pickett to succeed, however, he's also not making the most of his opportunities.

The Steelers didn't set up Pickett to succeed, however, he's also not making the most of his opportunities.
Thus the reason to sit him and let him see the big picture from the sidelines. Leaving him in will only make him regress as he has been doing each game. I think he is so afraid to throw an interception, he will not risk even throwing into openings downfield.

Great qbs don't have to work as hard as kenny does to execute. In this league, he's a backup qb. There is nothing wrong with that but his intangibles are not strong enough to make up for his lack of physical gifts.

The next OC has to ask Tomlin if there is an exit plan for KP. If not, what OC is willing to put his job on the line for KP?

Thus the reason to sit him and let him see the big picture from the sidelines. Leaving him in will only make him regress as he has been doing each game. I think he is so afraid to throw an interception, he will not risk even throwing into openings downfield.
He hasn't been regressing each week. Tennessee & Green Bay were two of his better games, with Kenny being what he's always been. Unless, by regression, you specifically mean this game, against the Browns.

In this offense, Mitch is worse.

I hope Kenny can become "that guy" but I don't see a progression towards that this year. The late game heroics are great but not sustainable long term. You can't lead your team to a win every time you lay an egg for the first 3 quarters

He hasn't been regressing each week. Tennessee & Green Bay were two of his better games, with Kenny being what he's always been. Unless, by regression, you specifically mean this game, against the Browns.
They won in spite of Pickett against Green Bay and everyone was hyping up Levis over Pickett after watching those two head-to-head. If you think those were two of his best games then that's all you need to know about Pickett as a starting quarterback.

In this offense, Mitch is worse.
Maybe but we need to have a QB that can throw 2-3 TDs a game. Trubisky has done that on worse teams and Pickett has not on better teams. I am not giving up on Pickett but for Goodness sake if our QB had thrown for 160 yards and 1 TD today , we win. Pickett is producing mind numbingly horrible results , not below average or even bad.

I think he needs to sit for 1-2 games at least to get his head on straight to see what he is doing wrong without any pressure. Remember, it took him until his 3rd year under Whipple until we saw the results we all wanted from him.

Maybe but we need to have a QB that can throw 2-3 TDs a game. Trubisky has done that on worse teams and Pickett has not on better teams. I am not giving up on Pickett but for Goodness sake if our QB had thrown for 160 yards and 1 TD today , we win. Pickett is producing mind numbingly horrible results , not below average or even bad.

I think he needs to sit for 1-2 games at least to get his head on straight to see what he is doing wrong without any pressure. Remember, it took him until his 3rd year under Whipple until we saw the results we all wanted from him.
If our QB played poorly today the Steelers win. Pickett was complete trash today.

Reactions: Pitt79
If our QB played poorly today the Steelers win. Pickett was complete trash today.
The Steelers offense has been every bit as bad as Pitt’s. The only difference is the Steelers D allows the team to win 6/10 while Pitt’s D allows their team to win 2/10.

Not a fan of Canada but some of this is on Pickett- missed reads, missed plays and not seeing open receivers is terrible.

Here's the Steelers passing offense today

pass-chart_PIC777233_2023-REG-11_1700428240507.jpeg

Not sure what game you’re watching.
Why? What would that accomplish? This team isn’t winning a Super Bowl this year with any of the three QBs on the roster. Might as well let Pickett try to figure it out. If he can’t, move on after next season.
exactly. So why is the offense so conservative the last three weeks? He’s gone from 200+ yards passing and 80 ratings and game winning drives to 100 yards passing, check downs and no designed plays to go down field.

Open up the offense and let the guy develop. In the very least you’ll learn something about him before you have to make a decision on a new contract. Right now we don’t know if he can ride a bike because the training wheels are tightly secured. So what if they go 8-9 instead of 9-8 or 10-7. Take the training wheels off and if he falls a bunch, then you know he ain’t it.

How many routes were ran over the middle? I'd like to see that data.
Charlie batch said that Canada had receivers on crossing routes but Kenny didn’t throw to them. Now why is that? Im no QB and never was, but those routes seem easier than the ones to the sidelines. So what gives?

Not sure what game you’re watching.

exactly. So why is the offense so conservative the last three weeks? He’s gone from 200+ yards passing and 80 ratings and game winning drives to 100 yards passing, check downs and no designed plays to go down field.

Open up the offense and let the guy develop. In the very least you’ll learn something about him before you have to make a decision on a new contract. Right now we don’t know if he can ride a bike because the training wheels are tightly secured. So what if they go 8-9 instead of 9-8 or 10-7. Take the training wheels off and if he falls a bunch, then you know he ain’t it.
Apparently we’re watching the same game because I couldn’t agree with you more.

Charlie batch said that Canada had receivers on crossing routes but Kenny didn’t throw to them. Now why is that? Im no QB and never was, but those routes seem easier than the ones to the sidelines. So what gives?
It's easier to see receivers outside the tackle box. He probably doesn't have a ton of confidence throwing over the middle.

Here's the Steelers passing offense today

pass-chart_PIC777233_2023-REG-11_1700428240507.jpeg
Right.

Some of that is on kp, but while Thompson Robinson really wasn't able to pass effectively outside the hash marks because he doesn't have the arm, especially earlier in thr game he consistently had guys clearly open with throwing lanes in the middle portion of the field.

And Johnson had one of those games where he was totally checked out.

There is no debating kp is missing reads and throws at times.

But, you could see the difference in what Thompson Robinson was getting in the middle portions of the field vs KP. He routinely was getting open looks with clear throwing lanes.

I see a lot of plays people want to think kp is missing guys where he simply has no throwing lane.

Reactions: pittbb80
There is no debating kp is missing reads and throws at times.

But, you could see the difference in what Thompson Robinson was getting in the middle portions of the field vs KP. He routinely was getting open looks with clear throwing lanes.

I see a lot of plays people want to think kp is missing guys where he simply has no throwing lane.
The most mediocre of passers are attempting throws and completing passes that Kenny simply doesn’t. I refuse to believe that Kenny is incapable. He didn’t suddenly forget how to be a QB or lose every amount of pedigree he possessed. I don’t think anyone is saying that he’d be a superstar if it wasn’t for the problems all around him. But what we are saying is that you have to strongly consider that there’s a reason why his passing is so anemic.

The most mediocre of passers are attempting throws and completing passes that Kenny simply doesn’t. I refuse to believe that Kenny is incapable. He didn’t suddenly forget how to be a QB or lose every amount of pedigree he possessed. I don’t think anyone is saying that he’d be a superstar if it wasn’t for the problems all around him. But what we are saying is that you have to strongly consider that there’s a reason why his passing is so anemic.
Yeah ...

Maybe they have more likelihood for an INT? And they've scared him into not making the throw in order to keep it close at 13-10, even if you might score more by letting it rip? Personally, I'd rather see him let it rip and I'd accept more turnovers, maybe you'd get a few more TDs too, unless he just totally sucks?

I agree completely with what you say here. I am as big a KP supporter there is. However, if a neutral party knew nothing about Pickett and watched yesterday's game, they would have to conclude that he was not an NFL caliber QB.

I hope he can pull himself out of his funk on Sunday, because I feel that he has to be losing support among his teammates. None will come out and say it, but despite the incompetence of Canada and his play calling KP has to make more plays work. Period.

I agree completely with what you say here. I am as big a KP supporter there is. However, if a neutral party knew nothing about Pickett and watched yesterday's game, they would have to conclude that he was not an NFL caliber QB.

I hope he can pull himself out of his funk on Sunday, because I feel that he has to be losing support among his teammates. None will come out and say it, but despite the incompetence of Canada and his play calling KP has to make more plays work. Period.
Sunday will be exactly the same as yesterday. There will be no more downfield throws. All it will be is designed plays short of the sticks. And why do I say that? Because it’s another division game against a backup QB. Tomlin will want a mistake free 4th quarter game like he has wanted all season.

The only thing different I think we might see is more Warren. Certainly a good coach will see that your best player on offense only getting 12 touches, as he did yesterday, is not acceptable. A good coach would have seen that yesterday, but I digress. So actually we may see less Kenny and have him throw 20 times instead of 28 and get Warren 20 touches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT