ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers worse without Picket.

He is 14-10 in games he has started, regardless of whether he finishes the game. If you cherry pick like you suggest, then the record is even better than that.

Correct, and that averages out to about 10-7. Awful? No. Better than Trubisky? Obviously. Could we win a Super Bowl with him? Not in my opinion. I know, I know.... the 49ers, the 2000 Ravens, etc. There's always going to be an anomaly.

Just my opinion, though. Others may think you can win a championship with him.

I just don't see that with Pickett. He doesn't even have a Kirk Cousins ceiling, because of arm strength, and Cousins is already typecast as the modern Andy Dalton (he's a batter player, but too good to part with and not good enough to win it all being the flavor of the comparison).
i'll never understand the yearly disrespect that Cousins gets. the guy is a border line HOF qb yet people compare him to Andy Dalton?

He's gonna have over 40k passing yards, has 270 tds / 110 interception ratio and a career 100 QB Rating. he's better than about 95% of every other QB who's played in the nfl. he's also played 16 or more games in a season in 8 of his 12 seasons so it's not like he's injury prone..

weird the shade he gets from nfl fans.

i'll never understand the yearly disrespect that Cousins gets. the guy is a border line HOF qb yet people compare him to Andy Dalton?

He's gonna have over 40k passing yards, has 270 tds / 110 interception ratio and a career 100 QB Rating. he's better than about 95% of every other QB who's played in the nfl. he's also played 16 or more games in a season in 8 of his 12 seasons so it's not like he's injury prone..

He’s not a very good qb
Borderline qb ?!?
Cmon man
At his best he’s a top 15 qb in the league

That doesn't prove Kenny wasn't holding the offense back, which is what he said. It might just be the case that all three quarterbacks suck, which has been my thought all along.
Kenny is the best qb on the roster by a good margin -
Even if he’s not a long term franchise qb

Both things can be true
We aren’t losing because of Kenny

Here’s the elephant in the room that nobody is talking about. Ben Roethlisberger sabotaged the Pittsburgh Steelers, by not retiring when he was supposed to and the Steelers sabotaged Mason Rudolph, by not giving him a quarterback coach his first two years in the league and then mis- evaluating him because you have him playing for a non-experienced NFL coordinator. In their scouting department, evaluation of quarterback play for some reason they think that Mitch Trubisky is a good quarterback to sign and waste money on. That was Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin even though I would like to figure out who really is the guy who’s calling the shots in that group Because none of the sports media guys can’t figure out if it’s really Tomlin hiring these coaches or if it’s Rooney telling him who he can’t hire? That’s the elephant in the room is poor evaluation of quarterbacks and offensive coaching staff.

Last edited:
Okay, I must be looking at it wrong. Since Mitch really, really sucks that means Kenny must be a very good NFL QB. My apologies for not understanding.
Bro get out of your feelings. Kenny is the best (and least experienced) QB on the team. Every other QB on this team has sucked in other NFL offenses. Just admit you have no idea how good he is until he gets a real OC. Some people refuse to admit they were off.

Bro get out of your feelings. Kenny is the best (and least experienced) QB on the team. Every other QB on this team has sucked in other NFL offenses. Just admit you have no idea how good he is until he gets a real OC. Some people refuse to admit they were off.

It's hilarious that I've literally stated 100 times he's the best QB on the team and people continue to use that as a point of contention.

And admit I was off? You seem to think last night proved something about Kenny Pickett other than the fact that he is better than Mitch Trubisky.

It's hilarious that I've literally stated 100 times he's the best QB on the team and people continue to use that as a point of contention.
not sure if people disagree with that, being the best qb in a room with mitch and mason rudolph isnt saying a whole bunch..

people are saying you cant win with Kenny, he's got a lowe ceiling and shouldnt have drafted him in the first round. of course he's better than Mitch and Mason, who isnt..

Reactions: Pitt79
I have a similar view but a different means of achieving it. I'd like a guy with more "freakish" tangibles who can use certain tools (his legs, for instance) to win while developing into a complete QB. That's kind of what Ben was, in a way, with his insane escapability and arm strength. Then, once he figured out how to be a QB, you had the complete package, and it was championship material.

I just don't see that with Pickett. He doesn't even have a Kirk Cousins ceiling, because of arm strength, and Cousins is already typecast as the modern Andy Dalton (he's a batter player, but too good to part with and not good enough to win it all being the flavor of the comparison).
I mean, yeah I'd love a young QB with Josh Allen's size, Justin Herbert's arm strength, Trevor Lawrence's experience, and Lamar Jackson's rushing ability. That would be nice.

That player doesn't exist and certainly isn't available at pick 20. Teams are taking project/traits QBs inside the top 5 now. The Steelers are never going to pick that high. Ever. So they need to find another way.

Pickett has shown that he's the best QB on the roster. They win with him. The hope is that he can develop "something more" while the team wins. That doesn't seem like such a bad plan to me. Plenty of successful QBs started as game managers and then developed into quality volume-producers.

The book isn't written on Pickett. You should want him to be the QB because if it's not him, the Steelers are probably going to lose a lot of games. Hell, look at the Chargers and Bills who lose all the time despite their apparent advantage at QB.

Careful what you wish for and be open minded to the idea that a player isn't fully developed after less than 2 seasons with probably the worst scheme in the league.

Johnson's advanced stats had him graded out as the most open receiver in football last season. I think he only has one more year on his contract, so you should be able to turn that into a mid-round pick. I could very easily see him going somewhere else and having a 1,200-yard season. In fact, I would expect it. There is a culture problem in Pittsburgh, and it's not going to change until you start moving some of these pieces (including the head coach).
Last year he caught the ball and ran backwards with regularity....and it doesn't matter if you get open if you only catch the ball occasionally when you're targeted.

Reactions: Upg bobcat
not sure if people disagree with that, being the best qb in a room with mitch and mason rudolph isnt saying a whole bunch..

people are saying you cant win with Kenny, he's got a lowe ceiling and shouldnt have drafted him in the first round. of course he's better than Mitch and Mason, who isnt..

The original point I responded to was that Kenny wasn't holding the offense back. I still believe he was. I don't think he was a very high-ceiling QB or playing all that well.

I also think he's the best QB on this team and can get you 9 or 10 wins in a league where there are a lot of similarly-talented teams and you end up facing quarterbacks like DTR, Bailey Zappey, Jake Browning, etc. throughout the course of a typical season.

All those things can simultaneously exist.

And admit I was off? You seem to think last night proved something about Kenny Pickett other than the fact that he is better than Mitch Trubisky.
Didn't you forget that weird passive aggressive thread you started yesterday before the game? "It will be interesting to see what the reaction is if Mitch throws for 250 ypg and 8-10 TD passes over the next 3-4 weeks? I doubt it happens, but if it does, how does that make Kenny look? It takes away the play calling and coaching excuse for his pathetic production." Get off Kenny's jock bro. He is a second year QB in a God awful offense. He isn't Tom Brady. It's so weird how critical you are of him when so many "veterans on that team suck. Do better bro ....do better.

bit of a stretch i admit but right now, if he retires tomorrow, that's a great career.. 40k yards alone is damn impressive..
Oh don’t get me wrong. He’s not bad at all. Lots and lots of worse over the course of his career. If things go right you probably could go deep with him. But HOF - nah.

I mean, yeah I'd love a young QB with Josh Allen's size, Justin Herbert's arm strength, Trevor Lawrence's experience, and Lamar Jackson's rushing ability. That would be nice.

That player doesn't exist and certainly isn't available at pick 20. Teams are taking project/traits QBs inside the top 5 now. The Steelers are never going to pick that high. Ever. So they need to find another way.

Pickett has shown that he's the best QB on the roster. They win with him. The hope is that he can develop "something more" while the team wins. That doesn't seem like such a bad plan to me. Plenty of successful QBs started as game managers and then developed into quality volume-producers.

The book isn't written on Pickett. You should want him to be the QB because if it's not him, the Steelers are probably going to lose a lot of games. Hell, look at the Chargers and Bills who lose all the time despite their apparent advantage at QB.

Careful what you wish for and be open minded to the idea that a player isn't fully developed after less than 2 seasons with probably the worst scheme in the league.

I'm talking about having any one of those quarterbacks, though - not some fictional medley that is the best of all their features. And it doesn't even have to be a high pick. I'd rather have Jordan Love right now, honestly. He may end up 100x worse than Pickett, but he can do things Pickett can't do. He was taken at #26.

Didn't you forget that weird passive aggressive thread you started yesterday before the game? "It will be interesting to see what the reaction is if Mitch throws for 250 ypg and 8-10 TD passes over the next 3-4 weeks? I doubt it happens, but if it does, how does that make Kenny look? It takes away the play calling and coaching excuse for his pathetic production." Get off Kenny's jock bro. He is a second year QB in a God awful offense. He isn't Tom Brady. It's so weird how critical you are of him when so many "veterans on that team suck. Do better bro ....do better.

Lol, maybe you should go back and look at who started that thread, Einstein.

And then, while you're at it, go look at my comments within that thread. You lose.

Reactions: Pitt79
someone make a good thread for god saks.
No. It's more fun to talk about why the QB who didn't play last night can't be better despite also acknowledging that this franchise doesn't have much talent outside of a few stars.

Fire Tomlin and start over. It's pretty much what most teams would do when it's obvious you don't have enough horses to win games against two 2-10 teams at home in back-to-back weeks.

Off course!! But I thoroughly enjoyed my hometown team's crash and burn tonight because all you jerks that tried to blame everything on Kenny and make like he was holding them back from being Super Bowl contenders can
x-pac suck it GIF by WWE
So you care about the INDIVIDUAL Kenny, more than you care about the Steelers TEAM?

No. It's more fun to talk about why the QB who didn't play last night can't be better despite also acknowledging that this franchise doesn't have much talent outside of a few stars.

Fire Tomlin and start over. It's pretty much what most teams would do when it's obvious you don't have enough horses to win games against two 2-10 teams at home in back-to-back weeks.
you are a good dude, gotta look out for you.

Reactions: pittdan77
I think the argument to be made here isn’t that Kenny is good, he simply isn’t good. I think the argument is that Kenny sucks less than Trubisky and Rudolph. The Steelers are going to give Pickett 2 more years with a new OC, but I don’t see them picking up Kenny’s 5th year option without significant improvement.
And they shouldn't, unless he really, REALLY picks it up, like throw for 20+ TDs and 3500 yards, in addition to winning games, hate to break it to you, TDs help you win games. But if you remember, when Kordell was sucking badly, back around '99 they resigned him and it was clearly, because it was CHEAPER than trying to get someone better, Rooney is CHEAP AND DUMB, they might just keep Kenny for a 5th year of 6.5 TD passes per year.

The point here is some people were weirdly excited when Kenny got hurt. DK put out a podcast saying no one cared that Kenny got hurt and that the team could actually be better... multiple articles stated the same sentiment saying the drop off was miniscule or that Mitch might be better. They were WRONG. This team isn't as good as people think and instead of recognizing that they just kept throwing Kenny under the bus. Now with him hurt and the same dog behind problems being worse it's far more obvious like the op said this team SUCKS and it's not nearly all on him.
That's because Kenny has been so bad, they're just looking for a reason for some optimism. At best, Kenny has been SAFE, he doesn't do a lot to win games, just plays bland enough to hang on.

the ash will become something. dont count out the dead.

hope is all we have. and we need each other. I am a man and not afraid to say it.

If this was a Georgia board and the team was the Atlanta Falcons, I wonder what the narrative would be as to why Pickens' production was lacking. I have a few ideas.

And the way it looks at the moment, guys like Cousins, Dalton and Flacco look like Hall of Famers compared to Kenny and Pickett is in a group with guys like Zach Wilson and Kyle Boller

Listen , is Kenny the long term guy ?
Its too early to tell, let’s be honest
He’s a gamer and a competitor , has a nice arm - can run -
But has plenty of flaws (footwork in the pocket and under pressure )

He has not shown “star” potential - but he has shown the rest .

This entire offense stinks , so it’s hard to judge . I think there are aome
Talented pieces - but the weaknesses and scheme are too much . There is no creativity at all .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT