ADVERTISEMENT

The Steelers offense is pathetic

The most mediocre of passers are attempting throws and completing passes that Kenny simply doesn’t. I refuse to believe that Kenny is incapable. He didn’t suddenly forget how to be a QB or lose every amount of pedigree he possessed. I don’t think anyone is saying that he’d be a superstar if it wasn’t for the problems all around him. But what we are saying is that you have to strongly consider that there’s a reason why his passing is so anemic.

He's missing easy throws we know he can make. They are all worse and need a change.

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Kenny Pickett is quickly falling into a concerning category, and after the team's loss to the Cleveland Browns, he finds himself in the record books for the wrong reason.

According to CBS Sports, 315 quarterbacks have 500 pass attempts since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger. Only Pickett has thrown a touchdown on fewer than 2% of his attempts during that span. Pickett has thrown a touchdown on 1.9% of his passes.”

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Kenny Pickett is quickly falling into a concerning category, and after the team's loss to the Cleveland Browns, he finds himself in the record books for the wrong reason.

According to CBS Sports, 315 quarterbacks have 500 pass attempts since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger. Only Pickett has thrown a touchdown on fewer than 2% of his attempts during that span. Pickett has thrown a touchdown on 1.9% of his passes.”
Yeah that was shared here already but thanks for sharing again. Now do the one for the OC, who also has a historically bad record that goes back to the advent of the game. And in case anyone needs reminded, Kenny has been around for less than half of this guys games.

Yeah that was shared here already but thanks for sharing again. Now do the one for the OC, who also has a historically bad record that goes back to the advent of the game. And in case anyone needs reminded, Kenny has been around for less than half of this guys games.
Lol you will not see me defend Matt Canada. But at some point the blame has to go to the people who refuse to fire him

Reactions: Pitt79
Lol you will not see me defend Matt Canada. But at some point the blame has to go to the people who refuse to fire him
Agreed.

You know what’s interesting about all of this? Kenny was meh until three weeks ago. Canada Halloween costumes were all the rage. He was enemy #1. Then miraculously the offense goes 3 weeks ago to ALL flares, screens and before the sticks throws. In essence it’s gone from bad to ultra conservative bad. Now everyone is turning on the QB. And the only thing that changed was scheme.

Weird. It’s like the coaches change the scheme, layman fans who don’t understand nuances start blaming the QB, and the heat is taken off them and put on the 2nd year QB. Funny how that works.

Reactions: Pitt8189
Agreed.

You know what’s interesting about all of this? Kenny was meh until three weeks ago. Canada Halloween costumes were all the rage. He was enemy #1. Then miraculously the offense goes 3 weeks ago to ALL flares, screens and before the sticks throws. In essence it’s gone from bad to ultra conservative bad. Now everyone is turning on the QB. And the only thing that changed was scheme.

Weird. It’s like the coaches change the scheme, layman fans who don’t understand nuances start blaming the QB, and the heat is taken off them and put on the 2nd year QB. Funny how that works.
Charlie Batch said that there have been slants and patterns in the middle of the field and downfield multiple times yesterday, but Kenny won't throw it there.

Charlie Batch said that there have been slants and patterns in the middle of the field and downfield multiple times yesterday, but Kenny won't throw it there.
Yeah decoys. This coach doesn’t want any turnovers and therefore the ball isn’t going there. Look at how many drop backs at which the play design and primary receiver is on the plays I described above.

Yeah decoys. This coach doesn’t want any turnovers and therefore the ball isn’t going there. Look at how many drop backs at which the play design and primary receiver is on the plays I described above.
But maybe they'd score more if they cut it loose every once in a while, even Kenny had a couple TDs across the middle earlier in the season.

I really don't understand not pursuing positives (TDs)to the nth degree to avoid negatives (Ints) at all costs.

But maybe they'd score more if they cut it loose every once in a while, even Kenny had a couple TDs across the middle earlier in the season.

I really don't understand not pursuing positives (TDs)to the nth degree to avoid negatives (Ints) at all costs.
3 and outs can be just as bad as an int 30 yards downfield. So I don’t get the conservative approach. I really don’t. Unless Tomlin is convinced that Kenny is Duck Hodges and he’s just trying to get through the season, take a mulligan and bring in another QB this off-season. But a big part of me thinks Tomlin thinks this conservative approach is the best way to 9-8.

Reactions: Pitt79
Kenny runs himself INTO trouble rather than away from trouble and because of his happy feet his mechanics are currently sh*t.

Kenny runs himself INTO trouble rather than away from trouble and because of his happy feet his mechanics are currently sh*t.

Which was a concern when he was coming out of college:

Weaknesses
  • Some scarring from previous protection issues.
  • Nervous feet and poise can get the best of him despite clean pockets.
  • Drifts outside pocket rather than climbing to scan.
  • Feet don't always follow his eyes when throwing.
  • Poor placement and touch added to drop issues.
  • Finesse throws into buckets are below average.
  • Better timing would prevent contested catches.
  • Can improve at making leading throws.
  • Doesn't throw with much of an expedited release.
  • Needs to take the incompletion instead of the sack.

Matt Canada didn't create all his problems.

Charlie batch said that Canada had receivers on crossing routes but Kenny didn’t throw to them. Now why is that? Im no QB and never was, but those routes seem easier than the ones to the sidelines. So what gives?
Is he scared of the ball getting batted at the line? It makes no sense.

Is he scared of the ball getting batted at the line? It makes no sense.
It doesn’t make any sense at all. He’s either regressed and has lost all of his confidence, or the coaching staff has no confidence in him whatsoever, or the coaching staff just wants to take all of the risk out of the passing game.

I’m not going with the Kenny has lost confidence thing because his moxy was supposed to be one of his assets.

So it leaves two things 1) the coaches have no faith in him, or 2) Tomlin lives in his fears and doesn’t want any turnovers.

Which was a concern when he was coming out of college:

Weaknesses
  • Some scarring from previous protection issues.
  • Nervous feet and poise can get the best of him despite clean pockets.
  • Drifts outside pocket rather than climbing to scan.
  • Feet don't always follow his eyes when throwing.
  • Poor placement and touch added to drop issues.
  • Finesse throws into buckets are below average.
  • Better timing would prevent contested catches.
  • Can improve at making leading throws.
  • Doesn't throw with much of an expedited release.
  • Needs to take the incompletion instead of the sack.

Matt Canada didn't create all his problems.
Agree. Coming into league lots of questions and concerns around KP. But the bigger issue is that Canada and Sullivan have shown nothing that they are the ones to coach him up. Maybe someone who is at more games than me (1-2 a year) ever see Sullivan working with KP between series? So get rid of Kenny and put in a new QB, history says results will be the same with Canada as coach.

Best thing for Steelers and Kenny is to chop the head off the snake and bring in new offensive coaches as Kenny is still young enough in his career to give him that chance under s new coach. But unfortunately Tomlin has also shown nothing that he will bring in a good OC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT