ADVERTISEMENT

the University ranked 91st in the world

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
my schools are 91 and 18 so Im happy... of course, I remember this coming out a few years back and looking at how it was calculated and it was kinda a weird algorithm if I remember correctly.

Originally posted by TempleBAPittMPA:
Originally posted by TIGER-PAUL:
Penn State is higher and that's all that matters.
That alone tells me it's a flawed ranking.
Having known several complete idiots who went to Ped U main by way of some branch campus community college...

that ranking is completely worthless.

I think the methodology must have involved having Peachy Paterno ice cream available. I mean, seriously, what else could it have been?
question.r191677.gif

THES (Times Higher Education) is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, world university rankings. This is one of the first places people turn for academic rankings outside the US, particularly in Europe. It focuses on more of the overall university, vs US News which is primarily known for its US-only undergrad ranking.

It used to do rankings in conjunction with Quacquarelli Symonds, but split over differences in methodology.

This issue is Pitt's significant downward trend...with the caveat that the methodology has been substantially tweaked since the split with QS so different years are measuring and weighting criteria differently.

2011: 68
2012: 59
2013: 76
2014: 78
2015: 91

Keep in mind, 91st in the world is still 42nd in the US, which is better than US News undergrad ranking (the major one). US News is one of Pitt's worst showings.

BTW, QS, also one of the most influential international rankings, has Pitt at 111 (and 32nd in the US). Pitt usually bounces around 100 in QS.

This post was edited on 3/12 5:33 PM by CrazyPaco

Originally posted by 9nationalchampionships:

The study mentions teaching and research among the criteria. How could Ped St have a higher ranking in these categories?
Why shouldn't Penn State have good teaching? They've got more than enough profs across the university system.

Penn State spends over $800 million a year on research. Obviously Penn State is a research powerhouse. I know that pitt has a good medical school, but Penn State has a very strong, broad research program.

There is definitely validity to advertising or shameless self-promotion, however tacky it may seem. Can't go to any hub on the east coast without seeing Penn state world campus ads.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT