ADVERTISEMENT

These guys are relentless - WTF?

You're putting words in my mouth.

Who do I hate?

I'm just pointing out people are making things up out of thin air. That is what was reported about fields. I have no inside or contradictory information to those reports. Do you?

My point about Wilson was that of course nobody would've paid more than the league minimum to reduce the burden on the Broncos. That would be malpractice.

All I said about Pickett is that it's reasonable to assume that people are going to be unhappy with him asking to be traded based on EVERY SINGLE TIME anyone else has done the same.

Personally, I think it was stupid to get rid of both Pickett and Rudolph. I assume they wanted to keep Pickett, but Tomlin stuck to his whole volunteers not hostages thing.
Who do you hate? For one thing, you seem to hate people who criticize Joe Paterno. That's based on your posts - you said you stopped listening to Mueller on the Fan (and said "F that loser") when he badmouthed Paterno. The set of people so defensive of Paterno aren't usually fond of Pitt or its players.

My contradictory information about the Fields trade is common sense and the fact that the NFL is very big business. And you ask for contradictory or inside information to refute a ludicrous rumor that the Bears turned down an attractive trade just to basically give Fields away, but then take on faith negative rumors about Pickett. Not exactly consistent or fair.

Last edited:
That's the point we are making - people are just making things up! Psst...the nature of the internet!!
And nobody here knows what's made up and what isn't, nobody here was in the locker room, so nobody hare can definitively say that they are smearing Kenny with fake stories, when you can't know for sure if they are fake or not.

And nobody here knows what's made up and what isn't, nobody here was in the locker room, so nobody hare can definitively say that they are smearing Kenny with fake stories, when you can't know for sure if they are fake or not.
The people reporting it wasn't in the locker room and in those discussions either! So who do you think they are getting that information from - this isn't that hard.

How do you know he isn't; everyone is always thrilled to paint Pickens or Johnson or Claypool or Wilson as the "cancer in the locker room" how can you be sure it's not Kenny? I don't know about any of that I've never been in the locker room, but so many here are so adamant about who's the problem and who isn't, have you all been in the locker room?
Exactly. I don't know and you don't know. This is why you are arguing the wrong thing.

I don't care what happened behind the scenes, or on the field or anything else. I am saying that it is not ok to systematically attack someone's character in the media.

This is why you disagree so much, because you don't even know what you are arguing about.

Exactly. I don't know and you don't know. This is why you are arguing the wrong thing.

I don't care what happened behind the scenes, or on the field or anything else. I am saying that it is not ok to systematically attack someone's character in the media.

This is why you disagree so much, because you don't even know what you are arguing about.
EXACTLY!!! That's my issue - the smear campaign.

The people reporting it wasn't in the locker room and in those discussions either! So who do you think they are getting that information from - this isn't that hard.
I don't know? But they are more likely to know someone that was in the locker room than random people like us, so I can't tell you if it's made up or not with certainty.

Who do you hate? For one thing, you seem to hate people who criticize Joe Paterno. That's based on your posts - you said you stopped listening to Mueller on the Fan (and said "F that loser") when he badmouthed Paterno. The set of people so defensive of Paterno aren't usually fond of Pitt or its players.

My contradictory information about the Fields trade is common sense and the fact that the NFL is very big business. And you ask for contradictory or inside information to refute a ludicrous rumor that the Bears turned down an attractive trade just to basically give Fields away, but then take on faith negative rumors about Pickett. Not exactly consistent or fair.
He is a loser Ped St troll who frequents the Pitt Site!

Reactions: FireballZ
Do you agree that this applies to Pickens as much as Pickett? Is it wrong to systematically portray Pickens as a head case diva that we need to dump?

You should become a reporter then since your common sense trumps the information that is out there

I don't know? But they are more likely to know someone that was in the locker room than random people like us, so I can't tell you if it's made up or not with certainty.
Okay - I'm not going to keep going down this rabbit hole with you.

"They inquired and went with Picket who costs more. So clearly the eagles think pickets better"

No, this isn't accurate. Several teams inquired about acquiring Fields as their backup QB. They saw his 5th year option sitting out there at $25.7 million dollars that has to be exercised in May, and felt that was too much $ for a backup.

So, no. KP was not a more expensive option to Philly.
Incorrect.

There were 2 aspects to Fields' cost: salary and trade cost.

His salary is $3.3m for 2024 only. Teams do not have to pay the $25m option in 2025. It is a team option. It can and will be declined.

His trade cost was what matters. If the Eagles wanted Fields, they either: a) didn't want him at the Bears' asking price; or b) valued Pickett higher. We don't know which of these is true. It could be that the Bears wanted a 2nd round pick for Fields and the Eagles went with Pickett. It could be that they thought Pickett at his price was worth more than Fields for a 6th. Personally, I believe that the Bears originally wanted a lot more for Fields than the Steelers asked for Pickett, and they sold low once Pickett was traded because at that point, there were few, if any, teams left that wanted Fields at all.

Go look up Fields. The Bears said they turned down better offers to honor Fields wishes of teams he wanted to play for.
No one should take the Bears' word at face value. The Steelers got a 3rd and two 7ths for Kenny. The Bears got what is likely to remain a 6th for Fields. The trade value disparity between those two picks is approx the value of an early 4th.

If the Bears turned down an early 4th worth of value for Fields, they should fire Ryan Poles.

Incorrect.

His salary is $3.3m for 2024 only. Teams do not have to pay the $25m option in 2025. It is a team option. It can and will be declined.

His trade cost was what matters. If the Eagles wanted Fields, they either: a) didn't want him at the Bears' asking price; or b) valued Pickett higher. We don't know which of these is true. It could be that the Bears wanted a 2nd round pick for Fields and the Eagles went with Pickett. It could be that they thought Pickett at his price was worth more than Fields for a 6th. Personally, I believe that the Bears originally wanted a lot more for Fields than the Steelers asked for Pickett, and they sold low once Pickett was traded because at that point, there were few, if any, teams left that wanted Fields at all.
Pickett is also much, much cheaper if his option gets picked up. If he remains a backup, he can also stay in Philly for a pretty comfortable price and become their Charlie Batch.

Incorrect.

It can and will be declined, but then Fields is a FA. If a team is set on him as their backup for more than one year, they either have to exercise the option, a guaranteed way to keep him, or negotiate an extension that is acceptable to both parties.

I am happy that the Steelers once again fleeced the Bears in a trade. Who cares???

KP's play for the Steelers wasn't good. Everyone on this board agreed he needed to up his play. The Steelers saw an opportunity to move on, and they did it.
KP will be a FA in a couple of years and can prove them wrong.
Time will tell.

Pickett is also much, much cheaper if his option gets picked up. If he remains a backup, he can also stay in Philly for a pretty comfortable price and become their Charlie Batch.
Yeah the 2 years of control versus 1 are huge, but the $25 million option is more palatable in 2026 versus 2025 because the cap will go up again.

In any event, I also think teams would prefer to have Pickett as a backup compared to Fields. He fits more what they are looking for (i.e., can win the game and probably won't be the sole reason they lose versus might have the game of the week but more likely to throw for 200 yards and 3 turnovers).

Reactions: pittbb80
Yeah the 2 years of control versus 1 are huge, but the $25 million option is more palatable in 2026 versus 2025 because the cap will go up again.

In any event, I also think teams would prefer to have Pickett as a backup compared to Fields. He fits more what they are looking for (i.e., can win the game and probably won't be the sole reason they lose versus might have the game of the week but more likely to throw for 200 yards and 3 turnovers).
There probably isn't a plausible scenario where the Steelers pick up his option. Best case, they offer him the starting job for 2025 but only if he negotiates a new deal before the option deadline but there are a lot of boxes that have to be checked by both sides to do that.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
There probably isn't a plausible scenario where the Steelers pick up his option. Best case, they offer him the starting job for 2025 but only if he negotiates a new deal before the option deadline but there are a lot of boxes that have to be checked by both sides to do that.
I don't think they got him to be the backup for a year. I think that they think he can be the QB of the future and will somehow keep him beyond 2024 to try. I'm not saying he'll be good or bad, I never wanted him, but I think this is what they want to try.

I don't think they got him to be the backup for a year. I think that they think he can be the QB of the future and will somehow keep him beyond 2024 to try. I'm not saying he'll be good or bad, I never wanted him, but I think this is what they want to try.
If he's the QB of the future, why use him as a backup? They'll be flying blind into that decision unless the guy is drunk and signs a very club friendly deal that sees him give up a chance to shop around or not cash in on a $25 million.

If he's the QB of the future, why use him as a backup? They'll be flying blind into that decision unless the guy is drunk and signs a very club friendly deal that sees him give up a chance to shop around or not cash in on a $25 million.
If Wilson stinks it up, or Fields just outperforms him in camp, etc., they can simply dump Wilson. It costs them virtually NOTHING.

I imagine Fields will play this season. They will have packages designed for him. Perhaps they hope he doesn't exceed 50% of the plays, otherwise it costs them a better draft choice.

Remember the option has to be exercised by May, so there will be no time to evaluate his play. I'd guess they'll approach him with an extension to kill the option.

If they exercise the option, it gives them Fields for this year and next at an average price of $13 million. That's about the going rate for a mediocre starter/backup in the NFL.
That would give them a year to see what they have.

His skill set and athleticism seem to fit Smith's offensive style. He is an athletic specimen. Steelers rolling the dice a bit, but a decent gamble.

In fairness, nobody was picking up the $25m option on fields. Didn't matter where he went, that option was never getting exercised. He's on a one year contract for the Steelers and would have been for any other team as well.
That was my point to freeport. No on in their right mind was extending him. The $25M was not a factor in the lack of interest. Hell be extended at a club favorable rate

Reactions: 303vND
So you think they just are using him as a stopgap, one year backup? Believe what you want, I think their intent or hope is that he develops into a long-term option, they probably intend to have at least a package of plays for him to get him on the field this year regularly.

Yet you believe it LOL
Yet you don't believe it. But we all know that's because Kenny is a Pitt guy and if he was from Penn State you'd be the one making up stories and leading a smear campaign.

Move the goalposts, but I'll play along. Why would a team sign Wilson for more than the minimum? If someone told you that a house cost 30 million and you could pay 1 million and they'd pick up the other 29, would you say no no no, I'll pay 15 million and so you only have to pay 15 million? You'd be the dumbest person alive. If any NFL GM did that, they'd be delivering pizza the next day. You apparently don't even understand the situation.

And you are the one acting like we owe Kenny something. You.

Go look up Fields. The Bears said they turned down better offers to honor Fields wishes of teams he wanted to play for.

And Kenny didn't have public support. Leave your echo chamber every once in a while. All the pills I've seen from the local players show about 10-20 percent local support for Pickett
Who is moving the goal posts. If Wilson was such a great starting option, some team other than the Steelers would have been interested and offered him a better contract. The fact is NO OTHER TEAM wanted him as a starter. The Steelers did and had no competition signing him. In a league where winning Qbs are at a premium, no one signs a starting QB for the league minimum unless NO other team sees him as a starter. This isnt hard.

Yeah right. Any GM who passed up higher trade returns to do a player a favor is flat out dumb and would be fired on the spot. clearly you believe everything you read. This is basic logic 101.

No one denies KP was hated by the media and fans. The organization also decided he wasnt part of their plans so he decided to leave a toxic situation and move on. Its a business. The steelers did what they think is best and KP did what he thinks is best for him He didnt bad mouth the organization and went about his business professionally. Yet Yinzer nation is all but hurt he didnt stick around

Yet you don't believe it. But we all know that's because Kenny is a Pitt guy and if he was from Penn State you'd be the one making up stories and leading a smear campaign.
I have not done that. Show me where I've participated in any of the PSU nonsense. Nice try.

Here are the facts. The steelers signed Russ to be the starter.

KP asked to be traded.

End of story. Both the Steelers and KP did whats in their best interest. Its a business. Yet the yinzer nation is all butt hurt that KP didnt want to stick around.

Now heres whats been reported and my opinion.

The steelers were reported to be interested in Fields Long before they signed Russ.
The Steelers told KP that Russ would be the starter. KP had no issues with competing for the job. However when your told the other guy is the starter they clearly have no plans for you. Combined with the story about the team saying they were ready to sign Rudy and then they backed out, KP decided it was best to move on , given how toxic the fan base and media were towards him.

Hey its a win win for both. Not sure why Yinzers feel the need to trash him on the way out.

If Wilson stinks it up, or Fields just outperforms him in camp, etc., they can simply dump Wilson. It costs them virtually NOTHING.

I imagine Fields will play this season. They will have packages designed for him. Perhaps they hope he doesn't exceed 50% of the plays, otherwise it costs them a better draft choice.

Remember the option has to be exercised by May, so there will be no time to evaluate his play. I'd guess they'll approach him with an extension to kill the option.

If they exercise the option, it gives them Fields for this year and next at an average price of $13 million. That's about the going rate for a mediocre starter/backup in the NFL.
That would give them a year to see what they have.

His skill set and athleticism seem to fit Smith's offensive style. He is an athletic specimen. Steelers rolling the dice a bit, but a decent gamble.
There is absolutely no chance the Steelers pick up his option. Even less than no chance if that's possible.

They aren't going to play musical QBs either, unless they want to ensure Russ turns into a huge problem.

I do agree there is no risk with Wilson, other than if he stinks you have to play Fields. Fields is a bad play waiting to happen. I've literally been stupefied watching games of his and wondering what could possibly be going through his mind to make some of the stupid decisions he makes. I feel pretty confident saying you will never win consistently with Justin Fields at QB.

Reactions: andypappas
Now heres whats been reported and my opinion.

The steelers were reported to be interested in Fields Long before they signed Russ.
The Steelers told KP that Russ would be the starter. KP had no issues with competing for the job. However when your told the other guy is the starter they clearly have no plans for you. Combined with the story about the team saying they were ready to sign Rudy and then they backed out, KP decided it was best to move on , given how toxic the fan base and media were towards him.
How do you believe that part of it, but nothing negative about Kenny?

How do you believe that part of it, but nothing negative about Kenny?
Im not contending that KP asked to be traded. Im just saying he saw the handwriting on the wall and made a business decision that is no different than the Steelers did. Yinzers seem to be butt hurt about the guy they hated or didnt want leaving them like jilted lovers. End of story

I feel pretty confident saying you will never win consistently with Justin Fields at QB.
I never thought highly of him, but I think Tomlin and the Steelers do and want to try to make him into a franchise QB, or why bother trading for him?

Im not contending that KP asked to be traded. Im just saying he saw the handwriting on the wall and made a business decision that is no different than the Steelers did. Yinzers seem to be butt hurt about the guy they hated or didnt want leaving them like jilted lovers. End of story
I mean the other stuff, like him refusing to dress as the emergency QB for example?

I mean the other stuff, like him refusing to dress as the emergency QB for example?
Thats been debunked and is irrelevent. Hes gone. Why does it matter to you so much?

straight from the horses mouth

Tomlin revealed on Monday that Pickett was cleared to play by the medical staff, but since they found that out late in the week, he did not feel comfortable playing Pickett since he did get reps during the week.

“That clarity didn’t come until later in the week,” Tomlin said. “And it was about the distribution of reps and who was best prepared and positioned to help us win. And so that’s the direction that we went with.”

Pickett was limited in practice all three days this week, and Tomlin gave that as a reason for Pickett to be inactive in favor of Mitch Trubisky, who once again was the only quarterback dressed behind Rudolph on Sunday. In his mind, the speculation part of Pickett playing on such a short clock, even in an emergency capacity, would not have worked.

Last edited:
Looks to me that this was a swap of KP for JF.
The Steelers look at Fields size, arm strength, running ability and general athleticism and like him in Smith's offense more than they liked KP.
So, they made the move.
KP had plenty of chances here, but failed to seize the job for a variety of reasons.
Clearly, the Steelers think Fields > Pickett.
Time will tell if they are right.

KP being from Pitt was always in the cross hairs of a lot of Steeler fans. As people point out, there is a lot of Ped Staters and Hoopies in this fan base. There are also a lot of Tomlin haters who are prepared to jump on anything he touches.
There is also a segment of the Media, Madden and others, who are sour on Tomlin AND Pitt. Shock Jocks who just toss hating takes out there for effect and hits.

Nothing anyone can do about them. Just hope KP latches on somewhere where he can prove the wrong. KP seems like a good guy, and he certainly had a nice Sr. season at Pitt. He's still in the NFL, which in and of itself is a big deal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT