ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from the Open Scrimmage & Other Dribbles ...

Absolutely ,but it was still his choice. They were never going to fire him and pay off his contract . Did Barnes come to him and say we can work with you if you'd like to explore other options , who knows ? I agree that if he was still having the same success he'd have never left to go to TCU either . He was on a path to becoming one of the winningest coaches in NCAA history . He can scratch that off his resume now .
Not necessarily. Still young, and I don't doubt he can turn it around down there.

Dixon lost his job because he did worse in 2012-2016 than he did in any years before that. Fact. Whatever labels you want to put on it, that is what happened.
Fact, my butt. He left voluntarily. This has been reported by multiple sources. You have your head up your tail end.

Reactions: FireballZ
You're a author of fiction. Dixon left because he couldn't handle any criticism and he left of his own accord. "Cost him his job"? Flipping ridiculous assertion as regards s guy who left voluntarily becsuse he wasn't coddled after yet another embarrassing NCAA exit.
Jamie left because he got paid more , fully autonomy, more institutional support, and to build his alma mater.

That's it, that's the list.

Reactions: mvk112 and Pitt MD
Again, you guys are so obsessed with the labels applied to this. If Dixon was the same coach he was in 2011, Pitt would've fought tooth and nail to keep him. Instead, his seat was warm and the AD reduced his buyout in order to free up the job. He wore out his welcome, as many posters would freely admit.

More importantly, if he was still the same coach as in 2011, he never would've considered leaving.
I don't think that was true with Barnes at the helm.

Reactions: Harve74
Jamie left because he got paid more , fully autonomy, more institutional support, and to build his alma mater.

That's it, that's the list.
Don't know about the institutional support, but the other factors are "largely" correct. You earn full autonomy as a coach and retain it through success as measured by results and attendance. JD probably either lost or was threatened with the loss of full autonomy and he deserved for that to have occurred, if it in fact did.

Absolutely ,but it was still his choice. They were never going to fire him and pay off his contract . Did Barnes come to him and say we can work with you if you'd like to explore other options , who knows ?

Dixon went from a coach who was constantly earning raises and extensions to a coach that the AD lowered the buyout for in order to get rid of him. I don't care who blinked first, that means Dixon was no longer valued or wanted here, and resulted in the termination of his job as head coach.

I think any rational person would understand that it was a mutual decision, and the right decision, all things considered. It's like saying Watergate didn't cost Nixon his job, because he voluntarily resigned. Just stupid.

Dixon went from a coach who was constantly earning raises and extensions to a coach that the AD lowered the buyout for in order to get rid of him. I don't care who blinked first, that means Dixon was no longer valued or wanted here, and resulted in the termination of his job as head coach.

I think any rational person would understand that it was a mutual decision, and the right decision, all things considered. It's like saying Watergate didn't cost Nixon his job, because he voluntarily resigned. Just stupid.
You make a point.

Reactions: Pitt MD

Drawing a parallel between Nixon who was about to be impeached and an unhappy coach is just plain stupid . Did Jamie make the right decision for himself ,absolutely . He was burned out here , unable to recruit to a level needed to compete in the ACC , had a team that was tuning him out and unhappy with his working relationship with his new bosses. Had he decided that these new guys ( bosses ) and boosters weren't going to chase me out of my "dream job " they were powerless to do a thing . He could have decided to stay and show these" assholes " a thing or two , but he decided to leave which I think was not only in his best interest ,but Pitts also . Plus he got more money !
The bottom line is this ....it ultimately was his decision and his alone because Barnes was never willing to write that check .
Ps .. not making that splash hire may come back to bite Barnes in the a**. Just as he wasn't willing to write the check for JD to leave Pitt wasn't willing to write the check to get that splash hire they needed .

Reactions: Piranha
Again, you are being pedantic. Dixon didn't want to work for Barnes, and for all the evidence shown thus far, Barnes wasn't wild about having Dixon work for him. Even if the worst description warranted is that they were completely neutral toward each other, holding no ill will whatsoever, Barnes wasn't going to fight to keep the coach.

It doesn't matter which person in the couple said, "we should see other people," first. The relationship was already over long before that happened.

It's nothing but a chicken and egg scenario to say that Dixon was unhappy with lack of support from Barnes, or Barnes was unwilling to show unrestricted to support to a coach who was seemingly declining. Barnes was hedging his bets that boosters were unhappy and he might have to fire a program-changing coach in a couple years. Dixon wasn't willing to risk his career by coaching under an AD he didn't like, for boosters that didn't want him.

Again, you are being pedantic. Dixon didn't want to work for Barnes, and for all the evidence shown thus far, Barnes wasn't wild about having Dixon work for him. Even if the worst description warranted is that they were completely neutral toward each other, holding no ill will whatsoever, Barnes wasn't going to fight to keep the coach.

It doesn't matter which person in the couple said, "we should see other people," first. The relationship was already over long before that happened.

It's nothing but a chicken and egg scenario to say that Dixon was unhappy with lack of support from Barnes, or Barnes was unwilling to show unrestricted to support to a coach who was seemingly declining. Barnes was hedging his bets that boosters were unhappy and he might have to fire a program-changing coach in a couple years. Dixon wasn't willing to risk his career by coaching under an AD he didn't like, for boosters that didn't want him.
Everything you say is true ,but if the TCU job wasn't available JD would still probably be the coach here. JD had the choice and he made the right decision for him and I have no issue with this . His time here was done and he was smart enough to realize it . However no matter how much Barnes wanted him gone he'd never had fired him and bought out his contract. Was he forced out , I say no , he evaluated the landscape and felt the pastures were greener elsewhere and choose to leave .

I'd be willing to bet pretty good money that Jamie started to have some back channel conversations through his agent about potential landing spots (likely not just limited to TCU) the day after Stevie P. got sent down to sleep with the fishes. He had no idea who was coming through the door and he knew that there were some challenges ahead regardless.

Anyone in his situation would do so. It's wise to do so. And I can't help but wonder if during the time period between Pederson's departure and the arrival of Barnes if maybe there weren't some really substantive things happening that had Jamie's mind on a possible change of pace, a fresh start. I've left a good job that I enjoyed for another good job. It was just nice to do something slightly different in a totally different place.

I'd be willing to bet pretty good money that Jamie started to have some back channel conversations through his agent about potential landing spots (likely not just limited to TCU) the day after Stevie P. got sent down to sleep with the fishes. He had no idea who was coming through the door and he knew that there were some challenges ahead regardless.

Anyone in his situation would do so. It's wise to do so. And I can't help but wonder if during the time period between Pederson's departure and the arrival of Barnes if maybe there weren't some really substantive things happening that had Jamie's mind on a possible change of pace, a fresh start. I've left a good job that I enjoyed for another good job. It was just nice to do something slightly different in a totally different place.

We will never know for sure, but you don't sign a 10 year contract with a 10 million dollar buyout of you don't plan on staying for the longterm. Things obviously changed, and within the last year it seems.

It was a mutual decision for Dixon to leave. That said, Barnes and the boosters IMO played a large factor in that. I would say too that Barnes was likely the biggest factor. Fans and boosters for years have been complaining about Dixon..a year after being a 1 seed in the tourney a pretty vocal and large portion wanted him gone after the CBI year and I'm pretty sure he could have gone to
TCU then. He didn't. Something changed. It is pretty clear to
Me it was Barnes.

We will never know for sure, but you don't sign a 10 year contract with a 10 million dollar buyout of you don't plan on staying for the longterm. Things obviously changed, and within the last year it seems.

It was a mutual decision for Dixon to leave. That said, Barnes and the boosters IMO played a large factor in that. I would say too that Barnes was likely the biggest factor. Fans and boosters for years have been complaining about Dixon..a year after being a 1 seed in the tourney a pretty vocal and large portion wanted him gone after the CBI year and I'm pretty sure he could have gone to
TCU then. He didn't. Something changed. It is pretty clear to
Me it was Barnes.

You can scapegoat whomever you choose. In my opinion the conversations with TCU likely started before Scott Barnes ever got to campus. Was Barnes a factor after he arrived? Absolutely. Was Jamie seeing greener grass and a chance to have a fresh start regardless of his lifetime contract a factor? Probably so.

Yeah he had a ten year contract here. But heavy weight of expectation. And you do realize he went from a ten year contract here to a six year deal there - where he's almost surely going to see one extension. There was no risk, he wasn't losing a dime in translation unless he crashes and burns in three years.

I just can't put all the blame in one place, and I don't think anyone in reality SHOULD be blamed. The world is full of many shades of grey. Yet people want to definitively say things are black and white. It just isn't that easy.

You can scapegoat whomever you choose. In my opinion the conversations with TCU likely started before Scott Barnes ever got to campus. Was Barnes a factor after he arrived? Absolutely. Was Jamie seeing greener grass and a chance to have a fresh start regardless of his lifetime contract a factor? Probably so.

It was widely discussed at the time Pedersen got canned that his relationship with Dixon had soured after SP meddled in his staff and made him fire Pat Sandle in order to bring back Slice, who in turn screwed us over and left for UK.

Dixon might have been skeptical of anyone coming in and how that would affect him, but I don't see any reason a basketball coach would be upset on day one that the former head of the NCAA selection committee, and former D-I bball player, was going to be running the show. On paper, that's nothing but an asset.

Reactions: Piranha and gary2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT