ADVERTISEMENT

TJ Otzelberger

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Why the eff didnt Kentucky or someone else hire this guy away from Iowa State. They are ranked #3 in some early Top 25s. CBS has 3 B12 teams 1-3 and then Baylor at 10. The level of coaching in that league is the difference and sometimes its just pure luck. Nobody wanted the Baylor job so Drew took in and isnt the type of guy to be chasing jobs. He takes the team to church and that's not something he can do at a public. Nobody wanted Kelvin after the show-cause. Otzelberger was a lottery ticket. Beard was a lotto at TT. TCU was lucky to have a guard in the 80s turn successful Big East head coach. The ACC needs some of this luck. Stanford and SMU made very good hires. Kelsey will have Louisville good but not Pitino great. The rest of the league leaves a lot to be desired.

Looking at real results vs meaningless projections, the ACC went 9-3 against the B12 in the regular season and 1-0 in the tourney.

The ACC had 4 teams in the Sweet 16 vs 1 B12 team.

The B12 had 0 teams in the Elite 8 vs 3 ACC teams.

I guess the ACC was just lucky and the B12 was unlucky, despite their superior coaching, right?

Looking at real results vs meaningless projections, the ACC went 9-3 against the B12 in the regular season and 1-0 in the tourney.

The ACC had 4 teams in the Sweet 16 vs 1 B12 team.

The B12 had 0 teams in the Elite 8 vs 3 ACC teams.

I guess the ACC was just lucky and the B12 was unlucky, despite their superior coaching, right?

Big 12 coaches are better in November games, which are worth about 1.5 times what January and February games are worth. The ACC needs coaches who can get it done in Carribbean hotel ballrooms in November.

Big 12 coaches are better in November games, which are worth about 1.5 times what January and February games are worth. The ACC needs coaches who can get it done in Carribbean hotel ballrooms in November.
Do they play by different rules in November? Do they use different players in November?

Do they play by different rules in November? Do they use different players in November?

No but the committee puts a much greater emphasis on November basketball and the B12 is ready to go in November while half the ACC schools dont start playing until December/January. November does produce some random results since every team is new but these game are the MOST important of the season. So you better be good right away.

Reactions: rockypanther
Where do December games rank in your mind?

Otzelberger’s wife is an Iowa State basketball legend (I think her jersey is retired) and I think Iowa State’s AD is, like, one of Otzelberger’s best friends since he was a kid.

Reactions: yourhired
Where do December games rank in your mind?

Its not my mind. Its the committee's minds. November games are the most important, then December. January and February barely count for anything because you get very little credit for beating conference teams. For example, had we lost at UVa but had beaten, say Texas A&M instead of Jacksonville, we would have made it because that November non-con win over A&M carries much more value than a February win at UVa even though the 2 teams are similar.

Its not my mind. Its the committee's minds. November games are the most important, then December. January and February barely count for anything because you get very little credit for beating conference teams. For example, had we lost at UVa but had beaten, say Texas A&M instead of Jacksonville, we would have made it because that November non-con win over A&M carries much more value than a February win at UVa even though the 2 teams are similar.
So when did the B12 vs ACC games occur?

It's not that the committee values November over any other month. It's that the Big 12 as a whole conference schedules to increase their NET rankings. Therefore come conference season no loss is a bad loss. The ACC and more importantly Pitt didn't accomplish that last year.

I will give Pitt some credit. No way they could of known some of their non conference opponents would be so bad.

It's not that the committee values November over any other month. It's that the Big 12 as a whole conference schedules to increase their NET rankings. Therefore come conference season no loss is a bad loss. The ACC and more importantly Pitt didn't accomplish that last year.

I will give Pitt some credit. No way they could of known some of their non conference opponents would be so bad.

I half-joke about November but the committee DOES value non-conference games more heavily that conference games. I'd like to see some math nerd come up with a value. But its clearly better to win some good games in the non-con even if you had to hypothetically trade them for good conference wins. As I said, if we lost at UVa but beat A&M in the non-con instead of Jacksonville, we get in. That shouldn't be because all that does is substitute one win for another but that's how it is.

I half-joke about November but the committee DOES value non-conference games more heavily that conference games. I'd like to see some math nerd come up with a value. But its clearly better to win some good games in the non-con even if you had to hypothetically trade them for good conference wins. As I said, if we lost at UVa but beat A&M in the non-con instead of Jacksonville, we get in. That shouldn't be because all that does is substitute one win for another but that's how it is.
You are correct. And it is absolutely backward. Fans, coaches and players take conference games more seriously because they should be more important. Only the committee feels otherwise.

Why the eff didnt Kentucky or someone else hire this guy away from Iowa State. They are ranked #3 in some early Top 25s. CBS has 3 B12 teams 1-3 and then Baylor at 10. The level of coaching in that league is the difference and sometimes its just pure luck. Nobody wanted the Baylor job so Drew took in and isnt the type of guy to be chasing jobs. He takes the team to church and that's not something he can do at a public. Nobody wanted Kelvin after the show-cause. Otzelberger was a lottery ticket. Beard was a lotto at TT. TCU was lucky to have a guard in the 80s turn successful Big East head coach. The ACC needs some of this luck. Stanford and SMU made very good hires. Kelsey will have Louisville good but not Pitino great. The rest of the league leaves a lot to be desired.
Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

You are correct. And it is absolutely backward. Fans, coaches and players take conference games more seriously because they should be more important. Only the committee feels otherwise.

And every team is a new pickup team so assigning a higher a value the first games of the season instead of the last is stupid. This is why I say the ACC should play a significant amount of league games very early. Because the results of those games, while they may hurt an individual team, they don't hurt the league. I'd rather have FSU eff around in November like they usually do and go 0-4 against the ACC instead of 1-3 vs the A Sun. They can play their A Sun schedule later when they are better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT