ADVERTISEMENT

To view or not to view...

PITTsburghFAN

Freshman
Sep 14, 2014
Like most of yinz, I found GodPa distasteful, so immersing myself for 2 hours on a Saturday evening in his recreated presence is nothing I'm very enthused about. Like so many who've diligently followed this disgusting scandal - and the cornered rat reaction to it by The Cult - I'd love nothing better than to see a drama really dig in and portray the facts.

If the story was to be accurate and cite the most important elements of the twisted culture and the scandal it prompted, then these points MUST be cited:
  • The colossal prosecution f-up of allowing PSU counsel, Cynthia Baldwin, to testify about Paterno and the Stooges while simultaneously, supposedly representing them. Thank Commonwealth hussy/moron Katherine Kane for that one. The blunder made reams and reams of data and testimony null ‘n void, and left PA with only the much watered-down ability to prosecute (led by Western PA assistant DA Ditka lass) the Stooges with their hands essentially tied.
  • There MUST be a scene wherein the Stooges agree that it is finally time to take their suspicions (and oodles of Sandusky documentation) to state authorities. Little Timmy Curley is sent to visit GodPa and when he returns, he tells the others that Paterno overruled the plan.
  • It needs to be clear that complaints were made known to GodPa as far back as the mid-1970’s… and he ignored them. The culminating actions of November 2011 were hardly the first time this mess was publicly raised (it is apparently the brief window in time when this movie is set)… but it was a simmering, smoldering crime that was hushed and hidden and covered-up for 30 years.
  • The death of Ray Gricar, Centre County assistant DA – during the investigation of Sandusky – must be made known. That the PSU ‘mafia’ would stop at nothing to keep their program seemingly holy and sacrosanct
  • That the football program was an out-of-control renegade mob for more than a decade. That Paterno was judge and juror. That PSU Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs, Vicky Triponey, tried desperately to bring the football program into alignment with both the NCAA and the Dept of Education’s Clery Act regulations. Triponey clashed with GodPa and was fired by Spanier.
  • There need to be snippets of the ESPN Outside the Lines (OTL) episode where Paterno’s program and its 100+ arrests – ranging from murder and rape to beatings and drugs – are woven into the movie. This was “lack of institutional control” – long the guiding star of NCAA justice – of a degree that hadn’t ever been seen before. End with the section of that ESPN episode where Paterno is confronted with the list of these facts and he stammers about “not liking the tone of the questions”
  • It is imperative that the stink of the Second Mile foundation be made clear… because it remains possible that this entity was funneling money to players and possibly young boys to perverts.
  • Note the uber-weird “retirement” of Ole Jerry whilst still in his 50’s and seeming at the top of his game. 1998/99. Hmmm. Why? Because that was the first time legal authorities began to investigate the crimes and cover-ups. Then show how he accompanied the team to road games (with young guests in tow), worked out frequently with the likes of Tom Bradley and had run-of-the-facilities as the Lasch Center.
  • Detail the 2 week saga of the crimes being reported by the PA Attorney General’s office and Paterno squirming each day to save his job. “I’ve got a team to coach" to "They don't have to worry, I’ll be retiring after this season”. Culminating, of course, in the bizarre elegy for him in front of his house… and his leading the lemmings in a “We ARE” chant. Then the riots in State College when the board of regents announce Paterno’s firing. (In fact, that riot should be the opening scene in the movie)
  • A full reflection on the Freeh Report – and its featuring of a culture run amok at the University. The bizarre cultic worship of a vainglorious football coach that led to an institution-wide sense of superiority over EVERYTHING.
  • And, of course, the individual sufferings – showing each character to the extent they wish to be revealed – who paid the price for one man’s (and his brainwashed institution’s) pride.
If these points were reflected in the course of that movie, then a just recounting of the situation will have been carried through. Alas, I fear that the football teams’ successes, the worship, the college glories, will supersede (perhaps dwarf) most of the facts above. And what will be left will be a recounting of an honest mistake made by an otherwise noble old man who didn’t know when to call it quits… a Greek tragedy, but focused on a very human-drama-scale.

There will be no mention of the fact that he was despised by the entirety of the Eastern sports establishment for decades. That the Big 10 coaches did all they could to keep him and his arrogant program out of their conference. That he bullied the sports media into cow-towing to his rules… and that the local press was terrified of his program and therefore reported NOTHING critical of him or his program.

And, finally, that he did all in his power to harm the University of Pittsburgh every time he could.

Like most of yinz, I found GodPa distasteful, so immersing myself for 2 hours on a Saturday evening in his recreated presence is nothing I'm very enthused about. Like so many who've diligently followed this disgusting scandal - and the cornered rat reaction to it by The Cult - I'd love nothing better than to see a drama really dig in and portray the facts.

If the story was to be accurate and cite the most important elements of the twisted culture and the scandal it prompted, then these points MUST be cited:
  • The colossal prosecution f-up of allowing PSU counsel, Cynthia Baldwin, to testify about Paterno and the Stooges while simultaneously, supposedly representing them. Thank Commonwealth hussy/moron Katherine Kane for that one. The blunder made reams and reams of data and testimony null ‘n void, and left PA with only the much watered-down ability to prosecute (led by Western PA assistant DA Ditka lass) the Stooges with their hands essentially tied.
  • There MUST be a scene wherein the Stooges agree that it is finally time to take their suspicions (and oodles of Sandusky documentation) to state authorities. Little Timmy Curley is sent to visit GodPa and when he returns, he tells the others that Paterno overruled the plan.
  • It needs to be clear that complaints were made known to GodPa as far back as the mid-1970’s… and he ignored them. The culminating actions of November 2011 were hardly the first time this mess was publicly raised (it is apparently the brief window in time when this movie is set)… but it was a simmering, smoldering crime that was hushed and hidden and covered-up for 30 years.
  • The death of Ray Gricar, Centre County assistant DA – during the investigation of Sandusky – must be made known. That the PSU ‘mafia’ would stop at nothing to keep their program seemingly holy and sacrosanct
  • That the football program was an out-of-control renegade mob for more than a decade. That Paterno was judge and juror. That PSU Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs, Vicky Triponey, tried desperately to bring the football program into alignment with both the NCAA and the Dept of Education’s Clery Act regulations. Triponey clashed with GodPa and was fired by Spanier.
  • There need to be snippets of the ESPN Outside the Lines (OTL) episode where Paterno’s program and its 100+ arrests – ranging from murder and rape to beatings and drugs – are woven into the movie. This was “lack of institutional control” – long the guiding star of NCAA justice – of a degree that hadn’t ever been seen before. End with the section of that ESPN episode where Paterno is confronted with the list of these facts and he stammers about “not liking the tone of the questions”
  • It is imperative that the stink of the Second Mile foundation be made clear… because it remains possible that this entity was funneling money to players and possibly young boys to perverts.
  • Note the uber-weird “retirement” of Ole Jerry whilst still in his 50’s and seeming at the top of his game. 1998/99. Hmmm. Why? Because that was the first time legal authorities began to investigate the crimes and cover-ups. Then show how he accompanied the team to road games (with young guests in tow), worked out frequently with the likes of Tom Bradley and had run-of-the-facilities as the Lasch Center.
  • Detail the 2 week saga of the crimes being reported by the PA Attorney General’s office and Paterno squirming each day to save his job. “I’ve got a team to coach" to "They don't have to worry, I’ll be retiring after this season”. Culminating, of course, in the bizarre elegy for him in front of his house… and his leading the lemmings in a “We ARE” chant. Then the riots in State College when the board of regents announce Paterno’s firing. (In fact, that riot should be the opening scene in the movie)
  • A full reflection on the Freeh Report – and its featuring of a culture run amok at the University. The bizarre cultic worship of a vainglorious football coach that led to an institution-wide sense of superiority over EVERYTHING.
  • And, of course, the individual sufferings – showing each character to the extent they wish to be revealed – who paid the price for one man’s (and his brainwashed institution’s) pride.
If these points were reflected in the course of that movie, then a just recounting of the situation will have been carried through. Alas, I fear that the football teams’ successes, the worship, the college glories, will supersede (perhaps dwarf) most of the facts above. And what will be left will be a recounting of an honest mistake made by an otherwise noble old man who didn’t know when to call it quits… a Greek tragedy, but focused on a very human-drama-scale.

There will be no mention of the fact that he was despised by the entirety of the Eastern sports establishment for decades. That the Big 10 coaches did all they could to keep him and his arrogant program out of their conference. That he bullied the sports media into cow-towing to his rules… and that the local press was terrified of his program and therefore reported NOTHING critical of him or his program.

And, finally, that he did all in his power to harm the University of Pittsburgh every time he could.
I will DVR it and watch at my leisure. If it starts turning into a JoePa apologist movie or shows the cult to be normal people it will be...DELETE...DELETE...DELETE...

It's going to be on HBO, right? Is there a way to see if you don't have HBO?

Works for me.

Wishing JVP to burn in hell is even too much for me... I can reconcile a person who seemed to have a legitimate Christian faith with the public figure who seemed to suffer from the simplest, most basic sin that confronts us all - PRIDE.

And that is what was clearly the downfall of the PSU/Paterno reign... a symbiosis that created the strange, arrogant cult-like culture that has been at the heart of all the repulsion that institution has generated. At the bottom of it all - pride. Arrogance.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
It's going to be on HBO, right? Is there a way to see if you don't have HBO?

There's always pirate sites out there. But in terms of some legal way? I don't think so. Even other programs like Amazon Prime or Roku or what not would still have you watch it through your HBO subscription. So if you don't have HBO, you're going to be out of luck unless you find an illegal link.

I got deleted from the pay board back when for writing about Paterno being in Hell.
Now, it's generally accepted with the only real debate whether he is rotting or burning in Hell.
I'd like to think he's burning, but I'm an optimist.

I don't believe it's been established that Gricar is dead. I can't recall if he was legally declared dead, but I'm sure they haven't found any body or proof of his death.

yes, legally.

What happened to Ray Gricar?
On April 15, 2005, Ray left his office in his red Mini Cooper. He called up his girlfriend to let her know that he was driving through the Brush Valley area that's located northeast of Centre Hall. Later that night, Patty called the police to report that Ray never made it home. One day later, his car was found in the parking lot of an antique store in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania. His phone was left in the car, but his laptop, keys, and wallet were missing.

Police didn't find any signs of foul play, but they did eventually find his laptop in the nearby Susquehanna River. The hard drive had been yanked out of it, and was found months later completely destroyed. Interestingly, Ray's home computer had recently used the search terms "how to wreck a hard drive," "how to fry a hard drive," and "water damage to a notebook computer." Ray's body was never found.

Former Pennsylvania Centre County district attorney Ray Frank Gricar left his office one day in 2005 and went missing without a trace. 13 years later, there's still very little known about this high-profile disappearance. Was he kidnapped? Murdered? Or did he simply choose to disappear?

Who is Ray Gricar?
Ray was born in Cleveland, Ohio, and went on to become a district attorney in Pennsylvania from 1985 until 2005. Interestingly, he announced that he would not run again the same year he went missing, when he was 60 years old. Ray was involved in several high-profile cases, but the most well known was that of Jerry Sandusky. In 1998, Ray declined to press charges against the assistant Penn State coach, who was accused of child sexual abuse. After Jerry was finally prosecuted in 2011, people again questioned why Ray let Jerry off scott-free for thirteen years.

Ray was also the father of an adopted daughter, Lara, with his first wife Barbara Gray. He had a second wife, and eventually a girlfriend named Patty Fornicola, who he was living with when he went missing. She was the last person to ever speak to him.

Is Ray Gricar alive?
Ray's daughter Lara petitioned the court to rule him legally dead six years after he went missing, which was granted. However, Ray's dead body was never found, so there's no way to confirm that he is truly dead, and police have not given up on finding him. However, nothing has ever been definitive enough to say if he's alive or dead.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT