ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer commitment thread (not just Pitt players)

I'd be fine with a starting five of:
PG: Bynum
SG: Leggett
Wing: Austin
PF: Hinson
C: Fede

Bynum/Leggett would be a pretty good Cummings/Burton replacement.

Main reserves are D. Johnson, Carrington, JDG and GDG. Lowe, Jeffress and Rice can take their time developing or coming back from injury. Same with Barnes if he doesn't RS.

Not sure how hard they are going after Rice though. Maybe a developmental big instead.

Main reserves are D. Johnson, Carrington, JDG and GDG. Lowe, Jeffress and Rice can take their time developing or coming back from injury. Same with Barnes if he doesn't RS.

Not sure how hard they are going after Rice though. Maybe a developmental big instead.
I totally get the desire for a third center, but I think if you have the opportunity to add that kind of talent (Leggett/Bynum/Rice), I think you do it without hesitation and roll with the frontcourt you’ve got.

Definitely don’t think we get all three, and I definitely think Dior’s gonna start, but if they all want in, you’ve gotta do it.

I totally get the desire for a third center, but I think if you have the opportunity to add that kind of talent (Leggett/Bynum/Rice), I think you do it without hesitation and roll with the frontcourt you’ve got.

Definitely don’t think we get all three, and I definitely think Dior’s gonna start, but if they all want in, you’ve gotta do it.
Oh I agree. I'll take the G/Wing over the big this day in age. We are fine with Fede, Twins and Hinson. Rice is definately a stud athlete to play the wing.

I've been saying it all along, Capel has been around Dior for a year now. I don't know what he's done to deserve the trust of this staff to get the PG1 job, but Capel knows best. I would love a veteran PG like Bynum for a year to be the bridge from Cummings/Burton/Elliott/Sibande to Dior/Carrington/Lowe.

Reactions: FireballZ

Dior's not going to stay here to be a bench piece. if he's here, he's starting.

Bynum would be an upgrade over Nelly. Very good player. Off year shooting the 3 last year, but very good prior year.
Agreed. Nelly is definitely one of my new all time favorites for his assistance with rejuvenating the program, but I think Bynum is a bit better. He's a warrior.

Where is he going to go?
Or you could argue he's always on the move anyway.

I don't know why people are quick to hand over the PG1 job to him given his history.
Probably based on on the court history while rolling the dice with off the court stuff. Was projected one and done. Talent must be there. I’ll hold my breathe until I see it manifest, but…

I’m sure the 11 high schools and 2 other college programs that he was committed to were asking the same question.
Odds are that if was going to go he’d have done so already plus he was an ardent supporter on the bench .

I got a feeling that JC and the staff had his back through his issues and at some point you have to put down roots and prove that you‘re dependable . Who’d want you otherwise .

Odds are that if was going to go he’d have done so already plus he was an ardent supporter on the bench .

I got a feeling that JC and the staff had his back through his issues and at some point you have to put down roots and prove that you‘re dependable . Who’d want you otherwise .

In this screwed up, loonie world of college sports, pretty much everybody would want you.

I won't believe Johnson's going to be here until I actually see him on the court at The Pete in a Pitt uniform and playing basketball for Pitt.

In this screwed up, loonie world of college sports, pretty much everybody would want you.

I won't believe Johnson's going to be here until I actually see him on the court at The Pete in a Pitt uniform and playing basketball for Pitt.
I just believe it’s 100% in his best interest to stay put , but I wouldn’t put any money on it !

I don't know why people are quick to hand over the PG1 job to him given his history.
I'm not sure I understand the reference to "people". I mean, HCJC brought him here. By all accounts, he was set to be here for one year and be one of our starters. If not for the mess he got into, that would have been the case, and either Nelly or Elliott would have been back-ups. I get the skepticism about the kid, but I just don't see him staying here to be a back-up. If Capel had conveyed to him by now that he wasn't going to be promised anything, my guess is he would have been in the portal already.

Last edited:
Honestly that’s such a difficult school to transfer into, especially as a grad transfer, so good for him.
If your future doesn’t involve bouncing and shooting a basketball you’d be fool not to add a degree from Stanford to your resume . Good for him .

You get someone in for an official, you have to close.

So far, disappointing that Capel has had minimal results with the portal. I agree with Gary....you bring a portal kid in for an official visit, you must close him on the spot or he is going elsewhere in all probability. We need quality experience for next year and aren't getting much.

So far, disappointing that Capel has had minimal results with the portal. I agree with Gary....you bring a portal kid in for an official visit, you must close him on the spot or he is going elsewhere in all probability. We need quality experience for next year and aren't getting much.
Well the transfer season is barely underway but yeah, be as disappointed as you want.

I think if we land Leggett we cement a good team for next season. The last two scholarships would determine how good.

I believe we will have a successful portal.

I think if we land Leggett we cement a good team for next season. The last two scholarships would determine how good.

I believe we will have a successful portal.
It’s a lot different this year versus last with what is returning. One could argue Dior will provide some of what was missing last year. Jeffress will be a better santos. A year of experience for the twins, Hinson, and Fede. Unknowns in CC and Lowe. Versus needing to fill a roster last year… Austin was a good start. Leggett would also be a solid get. We likely can’t have 12 starters with Barnes as a red shirt. Most decent players don’t want to be on the bench. I get a sense, some want a bench of Dior, Fede, Twins, and even Hinson due to D, but that is likely a bubble team on surface. Not the end of the world.

Reactions: gary2
You get someone in for an official, you have to close.
This is dumb. They may have slow played him, he may be slow playing them. They may have another guy coming in who’s better next weekend. Impossible to say you “have to close” on a guy who is a luxury, not really a need.

Who was really excited about any of last yrs additions ? A pg from Colgate , a part time guy from Marquette and a guy who hadn’t played in two yrs ?

Let the process play out and does it really surprise anyone that other schools have better NIL resources ?

This is dumb. They may have slow played him, he may be slow playing them. They may have another guy coming in who’s better next weekend. Impossible to say you “have to close” on a guy who is a luxury, not really a need.
My reference was not specific to Leggett. More a reference to Stanford, Arkansas and NC St spot closings..

Bball: Any chance of us adding another frosh with one of the open 'ships. You'd think with coaching changes there must be some kids out there who were released from their commitment.

A luxury not really needed?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT