ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer commitment thread (not just Pitt players)

I think if we land Leggett we cement a good team for next season. The last two scholarships would determine how good.

I believe we will have a successful portal.

It does depend quite a bit on getting Leggett to commit and along with Austin already here. If we can do that, it's a good portal for us...not outstanding, but good.

Reactions: gary2
This is dumb. They may have slow played him, he may be slow playing them. They may have another guy coming in who’s better next weekend. Impossible to say you “have to close” on a guy who is a luxury, not really a need.
Screw the NIL approach. Just tie the recruits up and hold them hostage until they say yes. Cheaper and more effective.

My comment was more meant to mean you don’t know what happened or what info changed on the visit. What if the maid told whoever booked his hotel room is smelled of weed when she went to clean it? Not that I care one way or other on the weed subject, but just saying you don’t HAVE to close on an official

Bball: Any chance of us adding another frosh with one of the open 'ships. You'd think with coaching changes there must be some kids out there who were released from their commitment.
1. I have no idea. All of the guys I thought were slam dunk takes (Westry, Amzil, etc.) seem like the staff wasn’t very interested in.

2. I’d hope not. They’re young enough. Need to get older unless it’s a pro.

Reactions: Drew1208 and gary2
Bynum to Stanford is surprising because of Nil. They really aren't into the Nil like other top schools. Now, if Bynum wants the Stanford Degree then yes, no brainer and def can't fault him.

Capel saw Dior practice every day and has built a relationship with the kid over the course of a year. Maybe he is comfortable with the idea of him having the keys to the offense. Hopefully, Dior is the real deal.

Bynum to Stanford is surprising because of Nil. They really aren't into the Nil like other top schools. Now, if Bynum wants the Stanford Degree then yes, no brainer and def can't fault him.

Capel saw Dior practice every day and has built a relationship with the kid over the course of a year. Maybe he is comfortable with the idea of him having the keys to the offense. Hopefully, Dior is the real deal.
I don’t think talent is the question with him. It’s his character. And that goes beyond his time in Pittsburgh.

We are very much a need gratification now society, myself included. Any little bit of lack of patience or delay, and the end is near. Technology has given us dopamine click bait to which we are nearly all addicted. Solid pickup. Two more to go. Who do people think now that Bynum and Stutes are gone? Any hope for Girard or is he LSU bound?

I wouldn't worry about Bynum at all. I also don't think we were that serious with Stute, meaning Pitt wasn't that serious.

2 Guards worth monitoring are Malachi Palmer ( 23 or 24, reclass decision won't be made until summer) and Kyle Greene Jr. We are recruiting Greene hard and are on the very short list at this point. Greene is a 2024 kid coming off a state championship win. Balanced scoring / passing true point guard that Capel has a strong connection with him and his father. The last 2 times Capel had a good relationship with the family were Carrington and Lowe. We'll see, but he is supposed to be visiting soon.

I would also pay attention with MJ Rice among others. And I think we should reach out to Ven Allen Lubin. Im not sure on Girard now with Leggett on board. I would take him, but dont think Girard has us at the top.

Im satisfied with the first 2 portal players, I think they are good additions.

And they just landed Leggett. So all of that negative BS about not closing on the official was extra stupid
Glad to see Pitt do what they needed to do. Very important piece.

You need to make your visit the last visit. How often do kids complete all their "scheduled" visits?

Close. We did!

And they just landed Leggett. So all of that negative BS about not closing on the official was extra stupid

For all intents and purposes, he committed when he visited and made it official today. In sales, if you can't close on the spot after a presentation, closing ASAP after a presentation is a cardinal rule. Recency is important. And I think that may have happened here.

Let's not make this out to be more than it is. He's a good, experienced addition for next year and fills an important need....experienced guard. Hopefully, he's a team player at Pitt and is mature. We'll need that with the kids we have coming in.

Pitt’s probable starting 5 for next year is rounded out:
Dior Johnson
Ish Leggett
Zack Austin
Blake Hinson
Fede Federiko

Jaland Lowe
Carlton Carrington
Marlon Barnes
Will Jeffress
Guillermo Diaz-Graham
Jorge Diaz-Graham
(Open)
(Open)
Walk-ons:
Marshall,
Stevenson.
In portal:
Santos
Hugley IV

Pitt’s probable starting 5 for next year is rounded out:
Dior Johnson
Ish Leggett
Zack Austin
Blake Hinson
Fede Federiko

Jaland Lowe
Carlton Carrington
Marlon Barnes
Will Jeffress
Guillermo Diaz-Graham
Jorge Diaz-Graham
(Open)
(Open)
Walk-ons:
Marshall,
Stevenson.
In portal:
Santos
Hugley IV
So are Dior, Austin, and Leggett able to equal Cummings, Elliott, and Burton. Still need a 6th man replacement for Sibande. Ideally Girard and move Austin to 6th. Any optimism for Lowe/Carrington to have better freshman seasons than Jeffress?

So are Dior, Austin, and Leggett able to equal Cummings, Elliott, and Burton. Still need a 6th man replacement for Sibande. Ideally Girard and move Austin to 6th. Any optimism for Lowe/Carrington to have better freshman seasons than Jeffress?
They certainly appear to be good pieces based on the numbers and the film. However, feel like we need to temper our expectations for this coming year. Doesn't mean it won't be another good year and there's certainly reason for optimism, but last year was magical.

They certainly appear to be good pieces based on the numbers and the film. However, feel like we need to temper our expectations for this coming year. Doesn't mean it won't be another good year and there's certainly reason for optimism, but last year was magical.

There is enough there to make the NCAA Tournament and then once you are there, you have 2 relatively winnable games to make the Sweet 16. The goal is the NCAA Tournament. The stretch goal is the Sweet 16.

However, college basketball is different now. Everyone is going to have 10 quality players due to the transfer portal. Pitt wasnt any more talented last year than Clem, Syr, Wake, VT and maybe not even FSU or GT. We won because we played better than the other team enough times. That sounds simplistic but that's really what it comes down to now. There will be so many 50/50 games. It wouldn't surprise me if we are a 4 seed in the NCAA Tournament or go 15-17. Every year, everyone has a new team.

Reactions: Gep Dawg
I think this upcoming team will be more talented. But even with the two new transfers they will be younger. And with every game being a tossup it can go either way. But if they gel and play with poise like this year's team they can definitely make the tournament and win a couple of games.

Reactions: daytonpanther
I think this upcoming team will be more talented. But even with the two new transfers they will be younger. And with every game being a tossup it can go either way. But if they gel and play with poise like this year's team they can definitely make the tournament and win a couple of games.

Agreed. More than enough talent. But everyone is getting better so we will have A LOT of 50/50 games. I think this is why you are also going to see so much randomness in the NCAA Tournament.

Reactions: Gep Dawg
Agreed. More than enough talent. But everyone is getting better so we will have A LOT of 50/50 games. I think this is why you are also going to see so much randomness in the NCAA Tournament.
This goes in "this" thread?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT