ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer commitment thread (not just Pitt players)

Several thoughts

1) losing out on portal players to lessor or even rated programs is no big indictment of the program . We have no knowledge of what Pitt has to offer vs anyone else in NIL dollars .

2) My guess is that Pitt has less to work with than most schools regarding NIL money . You can’t put the genie back in the bottle , the payouts will only increase over time . Pitt basketball needs to find a Godfather like booster .

3) Why wouldn’t anyone not expect this roster to be at least equal to or better than last yrs roster especially at this point in the yr . Do you not expect Hinson to be a better all around player after not playing competitive ball for two yrs .That Fede and the twins shouldn’t make significant steps forward in their second yr . In Dior they have a highly rated pg who’s practiced with the team since Jan . The transfers and the freshman add a big upgrade in athleticism. Jeffress will add a key depth piece with upside if he finds his scoring touch .

4) It’s impossible to replace Burton with anyone currently on the roster , but I’d expect better production at all the other positions . Nelly and Elliot were great additions , but both had their ups and downs last season and are replaceable . If Dior is anything like advertised he could elevate everyone . The freshman look to have huge upside .

5) Who knew that Pitt would lose Hugley , Dior and Jeffress for the season . Who knew that after being embarrassed by WVU and Michigan early on that Pitt would almost win the ACC and make the tournament . Everyone had JC being fired not being the ACC COY so who really knows what next season will look like .

6) My guess is that the arrow is pointing up for the bb program and I’m looking forward to a successful season . I think we’re in store to be watching some exciting bb and players .

Reactions: Zepley09 and 303vND
Several thoughts

1) losing out on portal players to lessor or even rated programs is no big indictment of the program . We have no knowledge of what Pitt has to offer vs anyone else in NIL dollars .

2) My guess is that Pitt has less to work with than most schools regarding NIL money . You can’t put the genie back in the bottle , the payouts will only increase over time . Pitt basketball needs to find a Godfather like booster .

3) Why wouldn’t anyone not expect this roster to be at least equal to or better than last yrs roster especially at this point in the yr . Do you not expect Hinson to be a better all around player after not playing competitive ball for two yrs .That Fede and the twins shouldn’t make significant steps forward in their second yr . In Dior they have a highly rated pg who’s practiced with the team since Jan . The transfers and the freshman add a big upgrade in athleticism. Jeffress will add a key depth piece with upside if he finds his scoring touch .

4) It’s impossible to replace Burton with anyone currently on the roster , but I’d expect better production at all the other positions . Nelly and Elliot were great additions , but both had their ups and downs last season and are replaceable . If Dior is anything like advertised he could elevate everyone . The freshman look to have huge upside .

5) Who knew that Pitt would lose Hugley , Dior and Jeffress for the season . Who knew that after being embarrassed by WVU and Michigan early on that Pitt would almost win the ACC and make the tournament . Everyone had JC being fired not being the ACC COY so who really knows what next season will look like .

6) My guess is that the arrow is pointing up for the bb program and I’m looking forward to a successful season . I think we’re in store to be watching some exciting bb and players .
Well, picking apart this gibberish, for the billionth time losing Hugley was what made the team good.

Dior most likely won’t make it through the year and isn’t the leader or intangible guy Nelly was

Pitt gave one of the transfers 150kish so they’re right in the range of programs of their stature and possibly a bit higher.

Jeffress is unplayable

Hinson will only improve if he loses weight and gains flexibility. He struggles to move laterally.

Fede and the twins may or may not improve but they’ll be relied upon more offensively.

Reactions: rockypanther
Well, picking apart this gibberish, for the billionth time losing Hugley was what made the team good.

Dior most likely won’t make it through the year and isn’t the leader or intangible guy Nelly was

Pitt gave one of the transfers 150kish so they’re right in the range of programs of their stature and possibly a bit higher.

Jeffress is unplayable

Hinson will only improve if he loses weight and gains flexibility. He struggles to move laterally.

Fede and the twins may or may not improve but they’ll be relied upon more offensively.
There are so many nonsensical predictions in this post that you make Miss Cleo look like Nostradamus.

Reactions: FireballZ

Jeffress is unplayable

So Leggett got 150 but Oscar only 200 last year at UK?

Congrats to Pitt if Leggett got 150 but I'd wonder what it would take to get Hinson back.

So Leggett got 150 but Oscar only 200 last year at UK?

Congrats to Pitt if Leggett got 150 but I'd wonder what it would take to get Hinson back.
I didn’t say a number Oscar got. I said he didn’t get 2 million. That’s not an opinion.

I’m telling you what ALLIANCE412 is saying they gave someone. I’d put it at half of that

I didn’t say a number Oscar got. I said he didn’t get 2 million. That’s not an opinion.

I’m telling you what ALLIANCE412 is saying they gave someone. I’d put it at half of that

Yea I doubt they'd pay 150 but if they did, that's fantastic. That is about what I think a guy like Leggett should get. Girard is probably 300 though I know you probably wont believe that. Thomasson around 200

Yea I doubt they'd pay 150 but if they did, that's fantastic. That is about what I think a guy like Leggett should get. Girard is probably 300 though I know you probably wont believe that. Thomasson around 200
300 may be right for LSU. Georgia and them are the two of the highest payers in the transfer market rn.

Fwiw I told NC State a player they were interested in wanted 100 and then said “good luck to him”. I think Pitt is in pretty fair shape in regards to their competitors.

Reactions: pittchagg

Jeffress is unplayable

Always Mr Positive you are .

Maybe the 150k emptied the kitty .

Glad you live inside Diors head .

Hinson and everyone else in the world knows what he needs to work on .

You‘re right there’s no guarantee’s anyone improves look at your man X , but my guess is Fede and the twins do .

With your constant negativity I’m sure you think that there‘s also no guarantee that the sun comes up tomorrow .

Try and enjoy your day .

You‘re right there’s no guarantee’s anyone improves look at your man X , but my guess is Fede and the twins do .

With your constant negativity I’m sure you think that there‘s also no guarantee that the sun comes up tomorrow .

Try and enjoy your day .
Of course there’s no guarantee the sun comes up tomorrow.

I don’t live inside Dior’s head, but I know he didn’t play last season or the season before for ONE team. I doubt he’s ever lasted an entire season with one team. Find it very hard to believe he all of a sudden will

I don’t live inside Dior’s head, but I know he didn’t play last season or the season before for ONE team. I doubt he’s ever lasted an entire season with one team. Find it very hard to believe he all of a sudden will
I worry about that too

Yeah I just don’t see any way this team is better than last year’s. Burton is a huge hole to fill

You may well be right, but one never knows. There was a Pitt team that lost Blair, Young, Fields and Biggs that did okay the next season, so there's hope for the half full glass.

Pretty sure he lasted the whole season with Pitt when he couldn’t even play. That should count for something unless you are preconditioned to believe he won’t play here. Give it a chance and we’ll see.

Pretty sure he lasted the whole season with Pitt when he couldn’t even play. That should count for something unless you are preconditioned to believe he won’t play here. Give it a chance and we’ll see.

Yes, we'll have to wait and see. Johnson wants to be the #1, main man or he will bolt. He isn't here to be a role player or sit on the bench for 15 minutes a game. I assume he has been promised he's the starting PG.

Lol so he quite literally didn’t last the season is the reason he will last this season for the first time in his life? Sure pal

Lol so he quite literally didn’t last the season is the reason he will last this season for the first time in his life? Sure pal
Gotta love fans such as yourself. Continually talking about how a player on Pitt isn’t going to last, but then washing the balls of a coach who is Pitt’s rival.

Since you are so big on opinions of others. I have one for you. You won’t last 3 years at Freedom.

Reactions: 303vND and pierre93
Gotta love fans such as yourself. Continually talking about how a player on Pitt isn’t going to last, but then washing the balls of a coach who is Pitt’s rival.

Since you are so big on opinions of others. I have one for you. You won’t last 2 years at Freedom.
Cool man. Who are you and why are you so obsessed with me!

Quite an oddball. Especially considering I said what Huggins did was terrible multiple times in that thread. You seem to only read what you want.

You’re right. Dior johnson has shown great character in his life and will be a model student and player at Pitt! Happy?

Cool man. Who are you and why are you so obsessed with me!

Quite an oddball. Especially considering I said what Huggins did was terrible multiple times in that thread. You seem to only read what you want.

You’re right. Dior johnson has shown great character in his life and will be a model student and player at Pitt! Happy?
So a 70 year old coach deserves a 2nd and 3rd chance. Cincy academic scandal being the first with that drunk. But a teenager should not be given another chance. Is that correct?

I can’t stand supposed Pitt fans that constantly want to go down the rabbit hole of negativity regarding our players and coaches.

Reactions: 303vND
So a 70 year old coach deserves a 2nd and 3rd chance. Cincy academic scandal being the first with that drunk. But a teenager should not be given another chance. Is that correct?

I can’t stand supposed Pitt fans that constantly want to go down the rabbit hole of negativity regarding our players and coaches. If that includes you, then so be it.
I haven’t been negative towards Jeff Capel since probably December. He did a fantastic job this year and especially with his identification/development of Burton and Hinson. Before that there wasn’t much to be positive of.

I also don’t believe this is either of their “2nd chance”. The universities should decide whether or not they have this chance because it’s their money and their risk… not mine.

It would be great if Dior Johnson lasted the entire year at Pitt and was an exemplary student and player. Knowing who he is choosing to surround himself with now he’s not on a great path.

I said I wouldn’t employ Bob Huggins at Pitt in the first place and Jeff Capel was a much better person than him too. Did you read that part or were you trying to peer into my house with a book box over your head

Here’s the deal: I think it’s fair to say right now, given the way that the roster has been 11/13 constructed that the season is probably going to hinge, in large part, on Dior being successful. If he’s the dude he’s been anointed to be since he was 12 years old, we will probably be pretty solid. If he’s a knucklehead, we will probably be not that good.

That wasn’t the case last year. You brought in Dior, at least in part, because you knew that you could surround him with 23 year olds and hope to bring him along and bring out the best out of him in a significant, but more limited, role, while also depending on those 23 year olds that you knew you liked. It’s probably why at ACC media days last year when Capel was asked about Dior’s suspension, his response was “we feel for him…but we’re good. We’ll be okay.” He was right!

They probably also thought that Dior would be here for one year last year, and move on to whatever’s next for him. That’s not the case now, and Dior has found himself with the opportunity that he was looking for that nobody else could give him as a true freshman: he has the keys, as a high major point guard, to finally fulfill the talent and promise that he was supposed to have. He has the chance to prove it. But we’re in a situation this year where we *need* him to prove it, when that’s not the situation we were in last year.

But that also means that both parties to this - Pitt and Dior - need for Dior to not be a knucklehead. Given the history, that seems a little risky, which is okay to be concerned about.

Here’s the deal: I think it’s fair to say right now, given the way that the roster has been 11/13 constructed that the season is probably going to hinge, in large part, on Dior being successful. If he’s the dude he’s been anointed to be since he was 12 years old, we will probably be pretty solid. If he’s a knucklehead, we will probably be not that good.

That wasn’t the case last year. You brought in Dior, at least in part, because you knew that you could surround him with 23 year olds and hope to bring him along and bring out the best out of him in a significant, but more limited, role, while also depending on those 23 year olds that you knew you liked. It’s probably why at ACC media days last year when Capel was asked about Dior’s suspension, his response was “we feel for him…but we’re good. We’ll be okay.” He was right!

They probably also thought that Dior would be here for one year last year, and move on to whatever’s next for him. That’s not the case now, and Dior has found himself with the opportunity that he was looking for that nobody else could give him as a true freshman: he has the keys, as a high major point guard, to finally fulfill the talent and promise that he was supposed to have. He has the chance to prove it. But we’re in a situation this year where we *need* him to prove it, when that’s not the situation we were in last year.

But that also means that both parties to this - Pitt and Dior - need for Dior to not be a knucklehead. Given the history, that seems a little risky, which is okay to be concerned about.
We have a wieeeeennner

Reactions: Drew1208
Dior Johnson has been given 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, on and on chances. So far, he's blown every one of his chances. If he lasts at Pitt for even 1 season, it will be the first time he's done something right. And I mean actually playing in a game that matters, not sitting on the bench twiddling his thumbs. History is not on his side.

Last edited:
Dior Johnson has been given 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, on and on chances. So far, he's blown every one of his chances. If he lasts at Pitt for even 1 season, it will be the first time he's done something right. And I mean actually playing in a game that matters, not sitting on the bench twiddling his thumbs. History is not on his side.

History isnt on his side but he's here until he isnt. He was here a week before getting into trouble. Had barely met Capel. Capel lives near campus and I am sure takes great pride in mentoring players. He is a great role model for Dior. I think Dior knows this might be his last shot.

With all the hoopla in this thread surrounding Dior Johnson, Im just going to give a quick reminder here on Jaland Lowe who is a pure point guard coming into Pitt as a 19 year old freshmen.

Jaland Lowe in the last 12 months:

-Led his team to the Peach Jam Final 4, the biggest / toughest high school basketball tournament in the country
-Peach Jam tournament MVP
-Led his team to the Elite 8 in the Texas high school basketball state finals
-Texas 5A State Player of the Year voted by the Texas Coaches Basketball Association
-Voted Guy V Lewis Award winner, Player of the Year in Houston
-Voted AGH Houston Chronical Greater Houston Player of the Year award winner
-2 time 1st team Texas All State selection

There isn't 3 guards in the last 20 years that came into Pitt with that kind of list of accolades and accomplishments. Brad Wanamaker may be the closest followed by Levance Fields.

With all the hoopla in this thread surrounding Dior Johnson, Im just going to give a quick reminder here on Jaland Lowe who is a pure point guard coming into Pitt as a 19 year old freshmen.

Jaland Lowe in the last 12 months:

-Led his team to the Peach Jam Final 4, the biggest / toughest high school basketball tournament in the country
-Peach Jam tournament MVP
-Led his team to the Elite 8 in the Texas high school basketball state finals
-Texas 5A State Player of the Year voted by the Texas Coaches Basketball Association
-Voted Guy V Lewis Award winner, Player of the Year in Houston
-Voted AGH Houston Chronical Greater Houston Player of the Year award winner
-2 time 1st team Texas All State selection

There isn't 3 guards in the last 20 years that came into Pitt with that kind of list of accolades and accomplishments. Brad Wanamaker may be the closest followed by Levance Fields.
Agree. We do not "need" Dior Johnson. We have Lowe and Leggett will have the ball a lot too.

I would feel better with another experienced guard added. Going from 4 of those to 1 is not to my liking.

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
Agree. We do not "need" Dior Johnson. We have Lowe and Leggett will have the ball a lot too.

I would feel better with another experienced guard added. Going from 4 of those to 1 is not to my liking.

We will add 1 more guard which was the plan all a long. We just don't know which one yet and how good that additional guard is going to be.

I think Leggett is going to be quite good. As of today, he is the full time starter at the 2. And I see him putting up Mike Cook numbers at a minimum.

Try and enjoy your day .
Dior didn’t even last one game for us last years quit being such a homer.

Tier 1. Top team
Duke
Tier 2. In the tourney
Unc
Miami
Virginia
Clemson
Tier 3. Bubble, Good shot at tourney but could slide out and be replaced
Nc State
Pitt
Tier 4 Struggle on the Bubble and below
Wake Forest
Vtech
Syracuse
Louisville
FSU
Boston College
Tier 5 Bottom
Georgia Tech
Notre Dame

I get bored. Lol.
But that's where I feel this Pitt team will fall as of now.

Reactions: Hail412Pitt
Tier 1. Top team
Duke
Tier 2. In the tourney
Unc
Miami
Virginia
Clemson
Tier 3. Bubble, Good shot at tourney but could slide out and be replaced
Nc State
Pitt
Tier 4 Struggle on the Bubble and below
Wake Forest
Vtech
Syracuse
Louisville
FSU
Boston College
Tier 5 Bottom
Georgia Tech
Notre Dame

I get bored. Lol.
But that's where I feel this Pitt team will fall as of now.
If the NET does play a huge role, I think this team is in a better position to avoid the blowout losses that affected them so much early on. They may still lose to Florida, WVU, and Baylor, but hopefully keep it close enough from a numbers perspective for later on.

Dior
Fede
Hinson
Austin
Leggett

GDG
JDG
Jeffress
Lowe
Carrington

Barnes
X
X

If they rotate a solid 10, it is better depth than last year and less fatigue at the end of the year. It’s cruicial that at least one of the remaining ships can at least provide solid bench contributions. If Lowe is halfway decent it will alleviate a lot of the concern should Dior go the route of Hugley. I assume Barnes doesn’t contribute much of anything this year and not sure what Carrington really brings at this point. An improved Jeffress would also go a long way…

Reactions: Drew1208
If the NET does play a huge role, I think this team is in a better position to avoid the blowout losses that affected them so much early on. They may still lose to Florida, WVU, and Baylor, but hopefully keep it close enough from a numbers perspective for later on.

Dior
Fede
Hinson
Austin
Leggett

GDG
JDG
Jeffress
Lowe
Carrington

Barnes
X
X

If they rotate a solid 10, it is better depth than last year and less fatigue at the end of the year. It’s cruicial that at least one of the remaining ships can at least provide solid bench contributions. If Lowe is halfway decent it will alleviate a lot of the concern should Dior go the route of Hugley. I assume Barnes doesn’t contribute much of anything this year and not sure what Carrington really brings at this point. An improved Jeffress would also go a long way…
Yeah if it's another sketchy ass weak season in the ACC then that's no good.
It's very possible tho. I feel it should be slightly better. Can't have 4 games against Quad 4 teams in a major conference. It helps nothing.
Need some early season luck or whatever you want to call it

Yeah if it's another sketchy ass weak season in the ACC then that's no good.
It's very possible tho. I feel it should be slightly better. Can't have 4 games against Quad 4 teams in a major conference. It helps nothing.
Need some early season luck or whatever you want to call it

The link below is a quick summary of everything going on with players coming in and going.

1) I think Pitt looks pretty good on paper with where we are with 11 guys as of today. If we get another good addition or so, even better.

2) I think a good chunk of the acc is in trouble again with some really bad teams. Some of these rosters have big glaring holes, including the center position.

3) 2 big names still pending are Mintz and Beekman with regard to the NBA among others.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT