ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer commitment thread (not just Pitt players)

What advantage does Clemson have over us in recruiting?
Maybe he was tired of the cold weather. Clemson would also be much better to be the man at in terms of social life for last college year. They beat us head-to head and have a similar chuck it style from 3. It stings because we wanted him and we always hate Clemson, but could very well be a lifestyle decision.

What advantage does Clemson have over us in recruiting?

Weather. A more successful program recently.

We have zero advantages over Clemson. We had one OK year last year since Capel's been here. And next year is shaping up to be a step backwards. Not so at Clemson.

We have zero advantages over Clemson. We had one OK year last year since Capel's been here. And next year is shaping up to be a step backwards. Not so at Clemson.
Shaping up to be a step backwards based on what?

Shaping up to be a step backwards based on what?

Based on next year's team is less experienced and is lacking the maturity factor that we had with our seniors this year. I'm not counting on the freshmen to do much this year, at least not until late in the year if then. The reason we had some success last year was because of team maturity and experience. And the rest of the ACC is getting better. Being realistic (perhaps a bit optimistic as well) I see a 16 - 18 win season, including the ACCT.

Last edited:

Clemson isn’t exactly a powerhouse. They have like one season in the past 20 years where they’ve gotten past the first round of the tournament.

Weather, beautiful campus

Lets not get carried away here. Clemson is in northern South Carolina in the boonies. I have been on the campus and its nice but I certainly wouldn't call it beautiful. It is indistinguishable from any other random southern college campus. Nothing about it stands out. And the weather isnt that great. Better than Pittsburgh, absolutely. But the weather in northern South Carolina isnt tropical. Winters are cold, 30s and 40s. Better than 10s and 20s? Sure. But Girard isnt going to Clemson based on 20 degrees warmer in the winter or campus architecture. He is going for basketball reasons or NIL. Clemson beat us for a kid we wanted and that's disappointing.

Reactions: 303vND
Lets not get carried away here. Clemson is in northern South Carolina in the boonies. I have been on the campus and its nice but I certainly wouldn't call it beautiful. It is indistinguishable from any other random southern college campus. Nothing about it stands out. And the weather isnt that great. Better than Pittsburgh, absolutely. But the weather in northern South Carolina isnt tropical. Winters are cold, 30s and 40s. Better than 10s and 20s? Sure. But Girard isnt going to Clemson based on 20 degrees warmer in the winter or campus architecture. He is going for basketball reasons or NIL. Clemson beat us for a kid we wanted and that's disappointing.
Do you really think Clemson has nothing on Pitt in recruiting? Do you think the level of women at Syracuse and Pitt are better or worse than the level of women at Clemson?

Pitt has some advantages on Clemson and Clemson has some advantages on Pitt. He went for the advantages Clemson offers. It happens

Reactions: FireballZ
Do you really think Clemson has nothing on Pitt in recruiting? Do you think the level of women at Syracuse and Pitt are better or worse than the level of women at Clemson?

Pitt has some advantages on Clemson and Clemson has some advantages on Pitt. He went for the advantages Clemson offers. It happens

Joe Girard is going to be able to bang hot chicks at any college. He didnt go there for that or a little bit warmer weather. He went there for basketball reasons. He believes in Brownell or their offense or whatever more than Capel/Pitt. Or he got more NIL. One of the 2.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Or, he decided he felt weird about transferring to his old school’s biggest rival when Joe Girard is, like, Mr. Syracuse. John Morgan wouldn’t have transferred to WVU.
What are you talking about? Who do you think their biggest rival is?

Joe Girard is going to be able to bang hot chicks at any college. He didnt go there for that or a little bit warmer weather. He went there for basketball reasons. He believes in Brownell or their offense or whatever more than Capel/Pitt. Or he got more NIL. One of the 2.
Warmer weather = more hot chicks.

It’s science

Warmer weather = more hot chicks.

It’s science

I don't know what SMF is talking about. He doesn't either. I've worked in the Greenville, SC area for years until I retired. The weather there on any given month is much better than in Pittsburgh. So Girard wanted to be somewhere where it seldom if ever snows and the women are pretty hot. Good for him.

And the coaching there isn't bad either. At Pitt, he'd be playing for a coach who has had one winning season in the past 5 years at Pitt and 3 winning seasons in the past 10 otherwise. That's not good no matter how you color it. That's being objective.

Based on next year's team is less experienced and is lacking the maturity factor that we had with our seniors this year. I'm not counting on the freshmen to do much this year, at least not until late in the year if then. The reason we had some success last year was because of team maturity and experience. And the rest of the ACC is getting better. Being realistic (perhaps a bit optimistic as well) I see a 16 - 18 win season, including the ACCT.
They may be younger and less mature but they may be more talented and better players. It's up to Coach Capel to get them on the right page and develop quickly.

They may be younger and less mature but they may be more talented and better players. It's up to Coach Capel to get them on the right page and develop quickly.

I think its reasonable to assume we will take a step back but you dont really know anymore. Each team is a 1 year AAU team. Dior could very well be a 1st Round type talent if he's here. Leggett scored a lot of points in a high major league making him arguably the beat on paper transfer we've gotten......ever??? Austin is athletic. Fede could greatly improve. Jeffress, the twins, Hinson if he comes back. The team could finish anywhere from 1st to maybe 13th or 14th.

Ah clown shoes is reporting winter lows(evening temps). SC high temps are in the 50s

The weather is far better in Clemson where you can golf all year round compared to the weather in the burg. Once again the SMF delivers on being the board clown 🤡

Reactions: PittED2001

Yes, it is up to Capel. But you mentioned 2 variables that I have no idea how they'll turn out. Coach Capel's coaching ability to do what you said, and the relative talent level of the incoming freshmen and others. Both are TBD. My confidence level in both is very luke warm.

Yes, it is up to Capel. But you mentioned 2 variables that I have no idea how they'll turn out. Coach Capel's coaching ability to do what you said, and the relative talent level of the incoming freshmen and others. Both are TBD. My confidence level in both is very luke warm.
I would like one more proven addition. I think we need it.

I would like one more proven addition. I think we need it.

Me too. We need the experience because we don't have as much as we need to hope to be as successful as last year. Maybe the freshmen are talented. Maybe they're just over-hyped. I'd rather have the maturity and experience.

Thats fair.

Me too. We need the experience because we don't have as much as we need to hope to be as successful as last year. Maybe the freshmen are talented. Maybe they're just over-hyped. I'd rather have the maturity and experience.
I’ll take talent over anything else every day of the week.

I have spent the last 25 years in SC. Weather is great except in the summer. Rarely below 41 degrees in winter with average high temp 55-60 degrees. I play golf and tennis all winter in that weather. Location is a bike ride away from Greenville.

Clemson has made the ncaa tournament 3 times in 13 years under brownell and have missed the tournament 2 straight years. Pitt under capel is viewed as a program on the rise turning the corner. Clemson is a program treading water currently. And capel is known as a better recruiter and builds strong relationships. If i see pitt against clemson for a bball recruit i expect pitt to win. With girard, i believe pitt was interested at first but he started to lean toward lsu because of nil, pitt moved on and lsu filled spots before girard decided putting him back on the market and pitt didnt double back. They put a full court press on thomasson (who i personally thing is better).

Reactions: Ski11585
Clemson has made the ncaa tournament 3 times in 13 years under brownell and have missed the tournament 2 straight years. Pitt under capel is viewed as a program on the rise turning the corner. Clemson is a program treading water currently. And capel is known as a better recruiter and builds strong relationships. If i see pitt against clemson for a bball recruit i expect pitt to win. With girard, i believe pitt was interested at first but he started to lean toward lsu because of nil, pitt moved on and lsu filled spots before girard decided putting him back on the market and pitt didnt double back. They put a full court press on thomasson (who i personally thing is better).
Pitt is viewed as a program on the rise? Bu who? I would think most people nationally look at Capel the exact same as Brownell. 1 tourney every 4-5 years at a football school.

Reactions: HailToPitt1985

I don't see how Pitt can be viewed as a program on the rise when in 5 years under Capel, we've had 1 winning season. ONE. Before we or anyone can say Pitt is a program on the rise, we have to see a duplication or better of what we saw last year for at least 2 additional years. Then we can start to talk. We're not close yet.

I don't see how Pitt can be viewed as a program on the rise when in 5 years under Capel, we've had 1 winning season. ONE. Before we or anyone can say Pitt is a program on the rise, we have to see a duplication or better of what we saw last year for at least 2 additional years. Then we can start to talk. We're not close yet.
Made the ncaa tournament for the first time in 7 years and our coach had the best season he has had at pitt. When he came to pitt, we were the worst team in the acc. Last year we were inches away from being the acc regular season champions. Now pitt has the most talented roster on paper under capel

Made the ncaa tournament for the first time in 7 years and our coach had the best season he has had at pitt. When he came to pitt, we were the worst team in the acc. Last year we were inches away from being the acc regular season champions. Now pitt has the most talented roster on paper under capel
Haha what? How is this roster more talented than last year’s. And in a bad ACC they were also inches from missing the tournament?

You can’t really believe losing the 3rd most productive player in the ACC and being replaced by a 17 year old is the most talented roster he’s had. He’s brad Brownell as of now.

I mean there’s no way you actually believe this is his most talented roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt1985
Haha what? How is this roster more talented than last year’s. And in a bad ACC they were also inches from missing the tournament?

You can’t really believe losing the 3rd most productive player in the ACC and being replaced by a 17 year old is the most talented roster he’s had. He’s brad Brownell as of now.

I mean there’s no way you actually believe this is his most talented roster.
Dior>nelly, austin> elliott, leggett=nike, fede/gdg year 2> fede/gdg year 1, hinson sr > hinson jr, and we have a bench that likely goes 10 deep as oppose to a 7 deep team last year, with 2 more spots to add to it. So no we dont have a burton replacement right now but are better everywhere else

Dior>nelly, austin> elliott, leggett=nike, fede/gdg year 2> fede/gdg year 1, hinson sr > hinson jr, and we have a bench that likely goes 10 deep as oppose to a 7 deep team last year, with 2 more spots to add to it. So no we dont have a burton replacement right now but are better everywhere else
1. I’d much rather have Nelly than Dior. Does Dior have a higher upside? Probably. He also has a much lower floor and in my estimation won’t make it to or through the year.

2. You have absolutely no idea if Austin is better than Elliot. He played in what is essentially a D2 league and didn’t shoot it all that well

3. Leggett May be better than Nike, but he’s nowhere close to Burton who was one of the top 3 players in the ACC. He was also the most clutch player Pitt had and made everyone better.

4. Why will Hinson be better this year when he is the focal point of the offense this year? What steps is he gonna take to get to the next level? Will he lose weight? Will he be anything more than a catch and shoot guy? Will he rebound or defend better?

5. They’ll need more offense out of this spot with Burton gone and no one to replace him. No telling if this spot will be better either.

They’re much younger without a steady point guard and without a top 3 ACC player/scorer. This team is not anywhere near as good as last year’s as presently constructed

Comparing the talent on the current roster to last year's is an interesting discussion. We of course can't know right now. For this year's roster to be better, to me the following has to end up being true:
  1. Twins make a significant leap forward
  2. Leggett and Austin at least equal to Nike and Elliott
  3. Dior at least equal Nellie
But you still don't have the Burton replacement, which is huge. It's hard to quantify just how important he was to last year's team. So we're going probably going to have to address it piecemeal by getting meaningful contributions from some of the freshmen and/or Jeffress, and by Hinson adding to his offensive repertoire.

Even then, it's going to be tough to replicate last year's results.

Last year was really special. It's the kind of season that comes around only once in a while for any program. I hope we get to experience similar levels of success and excitement this coming year and in future years, but it's unrealistic to expect it.

I stand by what I posted because it's common sense. I believe in trends and results. Capel has had ONE good year at Pitt, nothing more than that. And on paper, this roster is very questionable at best. We're going to lack the maturity and experience that we had with the seniors we had last year. And that's the main reason we won as we did last year.

Johnson may not even be here this year. And if he is, he may not last the entire year. Other than Fede, the twins and Hinson, we are relying on a bunch of untested freshmen who have yet to even put on a Pitt jersey. I'll wait and see if they produce at a minimal level. A roster on paper means nothing. Show me results at the college level.

I stand by what I posted because it's common sense. I believe in trends and results. Capel has had ONE good year at Pitt, nothing more than that. And on paper, this roster is very questionable at best. We're going to lack the maturity and experience that we had with the seniors we had last year. And that's the main reason we won as we did last year.

Johnson may not even be here this year. And if he is, he may not last the entire year. Other than Fede, the twins and Hinson, we are relying on a bunch of untested freshmen who have yet to even put on a Pitt jersey. I'll wait and see if they produce at a minimal level. A roster on paper means nothing. Show me results at the college level.
Oh...so before last season started you looked at the roster and said.."this group will be solid due to their experience." I believe in trends and results as well and last year's result may have Pitt trending in the right direction. Let's just take a wait and see approach.

Reactions: pierre93
Comparing the talent on the current roster to last year's is an interesting discussion. We of course can't know right now. For this year's roster to be better, to me the following has to end up being true:
  1. Twins make a significant leap forward
  2. Leggett and Austin at least equal to Nike and Elliott
  3. Dior at least equal Nellie
But you still don't have the Burton replacement, which is huge. It's hard to quantify just how important he was to last year's team. So we're going probably going to have to address it piecemeal by getting meaningful contributions from some of the freshmen and/or Jeffress, and by Hinson adding to his offensive repertoire.

Even then, it's going to be tough to replicate last year's results.

Last year was really special. It's the kind of season that comes around only once in a while for any program. I hope we get to experience similar levels of success and excitement this coming year and in future years, but it's unrealistic to expect it.

Its an interesting discussion for sure. This team could be better. Its possible. But it could be worse. Here's how it could be better:

PG - Dior is Judah Mintz but more under control, less selfish, and overall better

SG - Leggett could be much better than the Elliot/Nike combo

SF - Austin has to defend and rebound. He won't score like Burton but maybe his defending and rebounding make up for it

PF - Hinson improves marginally or at least doesnt regress

C - Fede improves a ton. He has athleticism but was very raw. Lots of upside

Bench
Improvements from the twins and Jeffress

1 or 2 freshman are good right away

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT