ADVERTISEMENT

Troy Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** Early comparisons to the previous year are always inevitable. It’s even more true with a change of coaches, and this was certainly the case when the Panther’s transitioned from Dixon to Stallings, as we were looking to learn if Stallings could keep the program at the lower NCAA tournament level where it was the previous year.

** Now the comparisons exist for us to try to decide if new Coach Capel can pull us out horribly low pit into which we have fallen.

** So if I’m comparing this game to last year, this feels like a game we could have lost a year ago. Perhaps it was a game we would have lost.

** Instead, it was a game we were able to win. We didn’t dominate, but we kept the Trojans at enough of an arm’s length that the outcome was never really in question.

** Keep in mind that this doesn’t mean that defeating a middle of the pack Sun Belt team means that we have anything close to a good team. Troy would finish last in the ACC. But it probably means we have a better team. And for tonight, that’s enough of a comparison.

** I’m ready to say that I’m convinced that we have a better point guard. Xavier has proven just about everything he needs to for me to be sure this guy was under-recruited. So the heck with those other teams!

** The X man ruled the game today, and hit tough shots, long shots, penetrated and created offense and caused just as many problems for the offense on the other side.

** Xavier played confidently, made good decisions, and always played with great pace. He’ll be humbled at times this year, without a doubt. But when this year is over, I think we’ll really like what he did, and what he can do in the years to come.

** One man Xavier found on the perimeter plenty of times was Jared Wilson Frame who was firing and landing with ease. I’ve got no complaints with JWF’s shot selection, as his offense was more than efficient.

** My only concern with JWF was really more of a problem I had with the entire Panther offense during a stretch of the second half -- when the offense looked almost a little too much like least years. That is ... just passing on the perimeter, followed by JWF firing up a three. Fortuneatly, Jared was already on a roll by then, and his shots kept falling.

** It’s also noteworthy that the reason the perimeter was our path to shots by that point was that X, Trey, and Toney’s penetration had them sagging back.

** And we can certainly see what the our perimeter penetration did for the production of Terrell and Kene. It was certainly a pleasant sight.

** The Panthers ran the pick and roll for both to a fine affect, particularly Kene. This really hasn't been a part of the Panther offense, since ... well, maybe ever. It's good to see a point like X who can make it work from the top.

** It’s really hard not to root for Kene. On this night, he gave everything he had and more, and was a difference maker.

** There’s much to be learned and decided before we know how much better of a defensive basketball team this will be than last year.

** There is obviously a fair amount of work to be done on that side, but at the very least, we seem to be simply better at keeping players driving the ball in front of us. But of course, there are going to be issues with rotations and clearing the defensive glass.

** And there’s a whole bunch of work that still need to happen to improve our full court press. It rarely caused any difficulty for Troy, and even let them get a few easy ones.

** I can only point to one disappointing player today, and that was Malik Ellison. He struggled for a much of the first half on both ends, before making some plays in the second half, especially on the break.

** The biggest difference between this year and last was that after three games, I was pretty concerned that we would not win an ACC game. We know how that turned out.

** So far this year, I’m pretty confident that won’t be anywhere near the case. I’m still sticking to my thought that we are only good for two or three. But compared to last year, that’s a nice step forward.

Echo your thoughts on Johnson. True point guard. Cat quicks. Very sharp handle and not afraid of the responsibility that comes with his position. He will continue to improve his shot, both form and selection. Already impressive on defense.

Sorry but the biggest disappointment may have been the zoo. I know it’s a Monday against a nobody but I would have thought they could get a little more than that.

We will be much better offensively when Frame is consistently hitting from the outside. Really helps open up the driving lanes for our slashers. He was our best player tonight.

Need to get a little tougher on the defensive rebounding. I know we lack size but there were more than a few where I feel like guys just went after it a little too soft and we gave them another possession. But I no doubt believe Capel will address this issue.

Reactions: FireballZ
Echo your thoughts on Johnson. True point guard. Cat quicks. Very sharp handle and not afraid of the responsibility that comes with his position. He will continue to improve his shot, both form and selection. Already impressive on defense.

Sorry but the biggest disappointment may have been the zoo. I know it’s a Monday against a nobody but I would have thought they could get a little more than that.

We will be much better offensively when Frame is consistently hitting from the outside. Really helps open up the driving lanes for our slashers. He was our best player tonight.

Need to get a little tougher on the defensive rebounding. I know we lack size but there were more than a few where I feel like guys just went after it a little too soft and we gave them another possession. But I no doubt believe Capel will address this issue.

Agree that the Zoo was disappointing, but I'm not sure why.

Not sure that I would agree that JWF was the best player, although he was certainly the best shooter.

Not sure that I would agree that JWF was the best player, although he was certainly the best shooter.

JWF battled Varnado, who is a very good college basketball player, every possession even though he was on the short end of the size and athleticism stick and still found time to hit for 24 points of his own. Even though Johnson was great tonight Wilson-Frame gets my game ball on effort alone.

** My only concern with JWF was really more of a problem I had with the entire Panther offense during a stretch of the second half -- when the offense looked almost a little too much like least years. That is ... just passing on the perimeter, followed by JWF firing up a three. Fortuneatly, Jared was already on a roll by then, and his shots kept falling.

Troy played three possessions of zone mid-way through the second half. Wilson-Frame made threes on all three of them. Troy didn't play anymore zone after that.

GOOD! 3 PTR by Wilson-Frame,Jared [FB] 15:00
ASSIST by Johnson,Xavier

GOOD! 3 PTR by Johnson, Javan 14:32
ASSIST by Miller, BJ

GOOD! 3 PTR by Wilson-Frame,Jared 14:07
ASSIST by Ellison,Malik

GOOD! LAYUP by Miller, BJ [PNT] 13:43

GOOD! 3 PTR by Wilson-Frame,Jared 13:19
ASSIST by McGowens,Trey

TIMEOUT 30sec 13:17

** Early comparisons to the previous year are always inevitable. It’s even more true with a change of coaches, and this was certainly the case when the Panther’s transitioned from Dixon to Stallings, as we were looking to learn if Stallings could keep the program at the lower NCAA tournament level where it was the previous year.

** Now the comparisons exist for us to try to decide if new Coach Capel can pull us out horribly low pit into which we have fallen.

** So if I’m comparing this game to last year, this feels like a game we could have lost a year ago. Perhaps it was a game we would have lost.

** Instead, it was a game we were able to win. We didn’t dominate, but we kept the Trojans at enough of an arm’s length that the outcome was never really in question.

** Keep in mind that this doesn’t mean that defeating a middle of the pack Sun Belt team means that we have anything close to a good team. Troy would finish last in the ACC. But it probably means we have a better team. And for tonight, that’s enough of a comparison.

** I’m ready to say that I’m convinced that we have a better point guard. Xavier has proven just about everything he needs to for me to be sure this guy was under-recruited. So the heck with those other teams!

** The X man ruled the game today, and hit tough shots, long shots, penetrated and created offense and caused just as many problems for the offense on the other side.

** Xavier played confidently, made good decisions, and always played with great pace. He’ll be humbled at times this year, without a doubt. But when this year is over, I think we’ll really like what he did, and what he can do in the years to come.

** One man Xavier found on the perimeter plenty of times was Jared Wilson Frame who was firing and landing with ease. I’ve got no complaints with JWF’s shot selection, as his offense was more than efficient.

** It’s also noteworthy that the reason the perimeter was our path to shots by that point was that X, Trey, and Toney’s penetration had them sagging back.

** And we can certainly see what the our perimeter penetration did for the production of Terrell and Kene. It was certainly a pleasant sight.

** The Panthers ran the pick and roll for both to a fine affect, particularly Kene. This really hasn't been a part of the Panther offense, since ... well, maybe ever. It's good to see a point like X who can make it work from the top.

** It’s really hard not to root for Kene. On this night, he gave everything he had and more, and was a difference maker.

** There’s much to be learned and decided before we know how much better of a defensive basketball team this will be than last year.

** There is obviously a fair amount of work to be done on that side, but at the very least, we seem to be simply better at keeping players driving the ball in front of us. But of course, there are going to be issues with rotations and clearing the defensive glass.

** And there’s a whole bunch of work that still need to happen to improve our full court press. It rarely caused any difficulty for Troy, and even let them get a few easy ones.

** I can only point to one disappointing player today, and that was Malik Ellison. He struggled for a much of the first half on both ends, before making some plays in the second half, especially on the break.

** The biggest difference between this year and last was that after three games, I was pretty concerned that we would not win an ACC game. We know how that turned out.

** So far this year, I’m pretty confident that won’t be anywhere near the case. I’m still sticking to my thought that we are only good for two or three. But compared to last year, that’s a nice step forward.

Very impressed by XJ's courage. He is not afraid. AT ALL. To handle, pass or take it hard to the rim. To get up into his man on D. Or to shoot. He's not a "hungry" shooter. But he's not afraid to put the ball up when the opportunity is there, even all the way out past the 3 line. Tonight he also made his share, both from the field and the FT line. I think I heard on the post game radio he had 9 assists, too. Considering Pitt as a team only turned it over 9 times, that's not too bad for a FR PG in just game 3.

My favorite shot of XJ's tonight was the running tear drop floater in the first half. A difficult shot to make for sure, but he nailed it smoothly. With the speed he has to push a defender back, if he can stop quickly he'll have room to pull up and get that shot off, so it can be a weapon in his arsenal.

Hopefully it's gonna be fun to watch this young Pitt team grow and mature all season.

-If we compare where we were at this point last year, there is no doubt in my mind that Troy would have beaten us. If we compare to where our team was at the end of last season, then I think the game could have gone either way.
-Troy is better than a middle of the pack Sun Belt team. I wouldn't be surprised to see them win that conference.
-I love Xavier's game. He is still over penetrating a bit, but is improving each game. 19 assists and 5 TO's in the last 2 games is pretty good.
-Jared is a much more complete player than last year. My guess is he leads the team in scoring this year with 17-18/game.
-Kene is so much better. He is finishing much better and he gives great effort.
-Brown had really disappointed me so far this year, but came up big tonight when we needed him.
-Malik is way too one-dimensional. He has to have the confidence to shoot that 3 for that to open up his inside game.
-I now believe we beat St. Louis next Wed.

Reactions: mo cheeks
<<** My only concern with JWF was really more of a problem I had with the entire Panther offense during a stretch of the second half -- when the offense looked almost a little too much like least years. That is ... just passing on the perimeter, followed by JWF firing up a three. Fortunately, Jared was already on a roll by then, and his shots kept falling.>>

I think Coach felt the same way. He called a timeout right after one of JWF's made threes, and I said to my wife who looked puzzled by it "he's not happy that they are just passing around the perimeter".

-If we compare where we were at this point last year, there is no doubt in my mind that Troy would have beaten us. If we compare to where our team was at the end of last season, then I think the game could have gone either way.
-Troy is better than a middle of the pack Sun Belt team. I wouldn't be surprised to see them win that conference.
-I love Xavier's game. He is still over penetrating a bit, but is improving each game. 19 assists and 5 TO's in the last 2 games is pretty good.
-Jared is a much more complete player than last year. My guess is he leads the team in scoring this year with 17-18/game.
-Kene is so much better. He is finishing much better and he gives great effort.
-Brown had really disappointed me so far this year, but came up big tonight when we needed him.
-Malik is way too one-dimensional. He has to have the confidence to shoot that 3 for that to open up his inside game.
-I now believe we beat St. Louis next Wed.

Malik's shot is different looking from what I was expecting. He has kind of a jerky release and a flat trajectory from the FT line. His jumper is a bit smoother but still a pretty flat trajectory. Hope he starts to find his range from 15' and out though. Pitt needs to be able to threaten a D some from outside to spread them out and create seams and driving lanes. Need more than JW-F from the outside.

This is the Frame I pictured us getting. He made it look easel tonight, in and out of the paint. ;):cool::):D

Very surprised by how well our offensive flow is. Love the offense. Not sure we can continue that in the ACC but its the way basketball is being played now. Tons of drives to the basket. Xavier Johnson can literally get to the lane every single time, sometimes he makes a play, sometimes not but he's just a true frosh. Dont understand why he was so under-recruited. He's a player.

So far a little surprised most rotation are above the line as well as Ellison a little below to this point. Also surprised almost nobody there.

The Zoo was terrible during Dixon II when you consider we were a bubble program playing for an NCAAT bid late into the season. The dirty little secret is Zoo attendance has sucked if this isnt a Top 10/20 team. I think we devote far too many seats to the Zoo and they will be getting more next year. Those prime seats are empty for all but 2-3 games per year. Start winning, ok, maybe they fill those sections 6-7 times.

I think they should only have the sideline section and 1 of the behind the basket sides. Demand doesn't warrant having both.

IMHO, I am convinced it would have been a certain loss with last year's team and coach.

The main thing that kept us from a more comfortable double digit win last night was Troy's unconscious 25 of 28 on FTs. Good thing we were 14 for 17--encouraging after the two prior games FT results.

Agree 100%.

Yep--He has an edge on MacGowens (who is no slouch) on being college ready.

Only thought one JWF's shots was a poor decision.

JWF 3-ball attempt I was thinking of happened during this stretch--IMO, JWF was too closely guarded and he seemed to force it.

It was great! Capel is getting more out of this team's major structural weakness than I thought possible.

Much quicker guards helps make this possible.

Ellison struggled taking it to the hoop against bigger guys. Not his fault really-- IMHO, he will have that problem all year in games where we really need 2-bigs to match-up decently.

I think the same 2-3 ACC wins. FWIW, prior to last night's win we had climbed out of last place in Sagarin's ACC rankings moving ahead of BC and Wake.

Also, maybe we will get to 11-2 OOC, as i now believe we should beat St. Louis.

DT, thanks so much for your dribbles! I always enjoy your insight.

P.S. It is terrific now to be able to watch Pitt in all the ACCN Xtra games here in the DC exurbs having kicked the cable-satellite habit for 100% streaming TV service.

Last edited:
The Zoo was terrible during Dixon II when you consider we were a bubble program playing for an NCAAT bid late into the season. The dirty little secret is Zoo attendance has sucked if this isnt a Top 10/20 team. I think we devote far too many seats to the Zoo and they will be getting more next year. Those prime seats are empty for all but 2-3 games per year. Start winning, ok, maybe they fill those sections 6-7 times.

I think they should only have the sideline section and 1 of the behind the basket sides. Demand doesn't warrant having both.

Zoo attendance may be overrated, but it is still leaps and bounds ahead of regular fan attendance. You can't justify taking away seats for students if your regular attendance is still so atrocious.

Zoo attendance may be overrated, but it is still leaps and bounds ahead of regular fan attendance. You can't justify taking away seats for students if your regular attendance is still so atrocious.

I'm always glad the Zoo is there. At least they make some noise.

Reactions: Ski11585
Those were pretty good bigs for Troy. Having guards that can drive is going to make scoring easier for Brown and Kene.

You want to take away seats from students who sometimes don't show up and give them to people who hardly ever show up?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT