ADVERTISEMENT

Tshiebwe to WVU

And you've proven to be extremely naive at best and more likely walk through the take me home mountain momma glasses singing country roads full tilt.

No, I am not being naïve. I know this situation very, very well. No money was involved. And my very strong guess is that if Capel ever signs a very highly rated kid, this board would be appalled if someone suggested Pitt paid for that player. I think the FBI investigation has slowed the money flow especially from the shoe companies.

No, I am not being naïve. I know this situation very, very well. No money was involved. And my very strong guess is that if Capel ever signs a very highly rated kid, this board would be appalled if someone suggested Pitt paid for that player. I think the FBI investigation has slowed the money flow especially from the shoe companies.
No - I think most rational people will realize the big time kids all get something. If you don't think money, a job, housing, a car - example x - was involved we can't have an honest discussion.

That's what I thought, but had to be sure because you continue the stance that WVU doesn't throw $ at a player. Just because you don't have more or offered the most doesn't mean you didn't offer any...

Posters are throwing out unfounded accusations with no knowledge of the situation. I am simply pointing out the facts. Of 18 recruits from 2005, only 4 have been 4 stars. WVU does not pay for players. If we did, I am certain we would have recruited much, much better than we have. It is pretty rare for a head coach to spend so much time over a 3 year span recruiting a kid especially when that kid was relatively unknown and did not blow up until the summer before his senior season. KY got involved very, very late. Loyalty and relationships are what won this recruiting battle, not money.

Posters are throwing out unfounded accusations with no knowledge of the situation. I am simply pointing out the facts. Of 18 recruits from 2005, only 4 have been 4 stars. WVU does not pay for players. If we did, I am certain we would have recruited much, much better than we have. It is pretty rare for a head coach to spend so much time over a 3 year span recruiting a kid especially when that kid was relatively unknown and did not blow up until the summer before his senior season. KY got involved very, very late. Loyalty and relationships are what won this recruiting battle, not money.
Your facts have been easily refuted by the "other Joe" - and I'm not saying you offered more to get the kid. That doesn't have to be the case. Some times the highest bidder doesn't win, as was probably the case with Oscar

No - I think most rational people will realize the big time kids all get something. If you don't think money, a job, housing, a car - example x - was involved we can't have an honest discussion.

So, if Capel signs a top 25 recruit, Pitt will have cheated?

So Pitt would cheat to get a player? Even with all the investigative activity going on right now including wire taps?
Dude - I got recruited to play soccer at UPJ and received several pairs of new cleats and running shoes (to name a few) and didn't even commit there. UPJ...for soccer. Think about it

He never claimed to know. He just pointed out problems with your "facts" and theory

Then he doesn't know Oscar or more about Oscar's situation. If poster Big Zeke knows Oscar's first head coach and knows Oscar, then he would know that Oscar, as a deeply religious kid, would not demand or accept money. And I might point out that Joe is posting a theory without facts. I have pointed out the history of our recruiting and why WVU does not pay players.

You don't realize how dirty this game is, do you?

Yes I do, but not all kids demand or take money. Not all kids have "handlers" or "bag men." Do you have evidence that all top 25 players are taking money? And I strongly doubt that the shoe companies have continued with their dirty ways since the FBI got publicly involved. Some of those wire tap conversations are pretty interesting.

Dude - I got recruited to play soccer at UPJ and received several pairs of new cleats and running shoes (to name a few) and didn't even commit there. UPJ...for soccer. Think about it

The posters are claiming that money was paid. As I have pointed out, there is zero evidence, just conjecture. And those positing the theory don't know Oscar. He is a ridiculously good kid, very humble and has had very good people in his life.

Yes I do, but not all kids demand or take money. Not all kids have "handlers" or "bag men." Do you have evidence that all top 25 players are taking money? And I strongly doubt that the shoe companies have continued with their dirty ways since the FBI got publicly involved. Some of those wire tap conversations are pretty interesting.
I'll say this - I hope you're right, however I'll go with logic and common sense. None of these "bag men" are worried about the FBI. I can personally think of a hundred different ways to get things the kid/family/whoever needs - these people are incredibly creative

No, I am not being naïve.

You're being naive because you're making claims that WVU doesn't cheat and gave a silly theory that because they only have x amount of top talent or finish in x place in the recruiting world means they don't cheat. When you say things like that, any argument regarding the subject you make is immediately looked upon as either a) not honest, b) naive or c) just being a fanboy

I realize that basketball has been incredibly dirty especially on the AAU circuit. But I don't think all schools cheat. If Capel does sign a top 25 kid, I don't think he would risk his career by cheating because Pitt would want to zealously guard its reputation. Capel had issues at OU, but I strongly suspect he knows this might be his last chance and he is not going to take a career ending risk.

I have had the privilege of having dinner with Huggs and we have discussed how dirty college basketball is (this was before the FBI investigation). He told me something very interesting. He said that he does not know how coaches can pay players and then coach them knowing the player could out them at any time. It gives the player huge leverage. If you coach the way Huggs coaches, you're going to tick off every player from time to time. Not to mention the fact that the last thing Huggs would want is to get his Alma Mater in trouble knowing how important the team is to the entire state.

You're being naive because you're making claims that WVU doesn't cheat and gave a silly theory that because they only have x amount of top talent or finish in x place in the recruiting world means they don't cheat. When you say things like that, any argument regarding the subject you make is immediately looked upon as either a) not honest, b) naive or c) just being a fanboy

I am providing more evidence for not cheating than you have provided for cheating. I have cited actual recruiting results that surely indicate no cheating. You are providing theories, without evidence.

I'll say this - I hope you're right, however I'll go with logic and common sense. None of these "bag men" are worried about the FBI. I can personally think of a hundred different ways to get things the kid/family/whoever needs - these people are incredibly creative

The FBI investigates crimes. If the dirty ones around these kids are not worried, then they are not paying attention. Even KU and Duke have been caught up with the recruitment of Zion Williamson with a KU assistant coach wiretapped discussing payments to the kid and housing for his family. Williamson eventually went to Duke. But if you knew Oscar, you would know he is NOT Zion Williamson.

I am providing more evidence for not cheating than you have provided for cheating. I have cited actual recruiting results that surely indicate no cheating. You are providing theories, without evidence.
You posted that with a straight face did ya? Nothing - NOTHING - you provided is evidence. A theory isn't evidence. Especially one that was blown up by the other Joe which you have no reply to. My evidence? Common freaking sense.

You're right - WVU has never ever cheated for a player. Ever. Jesus H Christ

You're right - WVU never cheats. Exit stage left

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/...than-hargetts-story-is-a-cautionary-tale.html

"Hargett spoke of dealing with an agent at 15 and of eventually choosing to attend West Virginia because he was offered $20,000."

And another one. I really liked this quote

Dakich decided that the situation at West Virginia was out of control and, after eight days, decided to return to Bowling Green.

“What I found was a culture of dishonesty and that had been there for a while,” he said of West Virginia.

https://www.timeswv.com/sports/harg...cle_efb2eac8-0cd8-5f36-8ac2-089a77c08171.html

You posted that with a straight face did ya? Nothing - NOTHING - you provided is evidence. A theory isn't evidence. Especially one that was blown up by the other Joe which you have no reply to. My evidence? Common freaking sense.

You're right - WVU has never ever cheated for a player. Ever. Jesus H Christ

You're putting words in my mouth. I have posted that WVU did not pay Oscar or anyone associated with him. I posted that Huggs has not paid players at least while at WVU. You have zero evidence that he has paid anyone to come to WVU. Again, I provided more evidence than you. It may be circumstantial, but it is evidence. You're argument may be more realistic if when Huggs arrived at WVU our recruiting took off. Our Final Four team was composed primarily of Beilein recruits, again the vast majority were 3 stars. If Huggs is paying players he is pretty stupid getting all those 3 stars and Huggs is a lot of things, but stupid is not one of them.

And another one. I really liked this quote

Dakich decided that the situation at West Virginia was out of control and, after eight days, decided to return to Bowling Green.

“What I found was a culture of dishonesty and that had been there for a while,” he said of West Virginia.

https://www.timeswv.com/sports/harg...cle_efb2eac8-0cd8-5f36-8ac2-089a77c08171.html

You are really getting off track. We were talking about Oscar and Huggins. Beilein took over after Dakich left. Did Beilein cheat? Did he pay players?

Perhaps more interestingly, has Pitt paid players?

You're putting words in my mouth. I have posted that WVU did not pay Oscar or anyone associated with him. I posted that Huggs has not paid players at least while at WVU. You have zero evidence that he has paid anyone to come to WVU. Again, I provided more evidence than you. It may be circumstantial, but it is evidence. You're argument may be more realistic if when Huggs arrived at WVU our recruiting took off. Our Final Four team was composed primarily of Beilein recruits, again the vast majority were 3 stars. If Huggs is paying players he is pretty stupid getting all those 3 stars and Huggs is a lot of things, but stupid is not one of them.

"
As I tried to point out, if WVU is paying players money and we are mainly getting 3 star recruits with perhaps 1 4 star a year, we are getting very little for our money. Moreover, who says we are recruiting the same player as other Big 12 schools. I would argue that due to our location, we have little recruiting overlap with most other Big 12 schools. Lastly, as I pointed out Morgantown can't be the reason for us losing recruits when there is recruiting overlap in the Big 12 since most schools are not located in great metropolitan locations.

Huggs has relied heaving on getting on underrated players early and building relationships. Konate was not a highly touted recruit. I think WVU was Carter's only major offer. Huggs started on Oscar 3 years ago and was his first offer. The roster is littered with 3 star recruits and you don't pay money to get those since there are so many. Huggs does a masterful job of finding underrated kids that fit into what he is trying to do. That is why although our recruiting is very middling in the Big 12, we overachieve."

Just stop backpedaling

You are really getting off track. We were talking about Oscar and Huggins. Beilein took over after Dakich left. Did Beilein cheat? Did he pay players?

WTF are you talking about. Your stance has been WVU didn't pay Oscar and WVU doesn't cheat period because of where they finish, how many lower ranked kids - etc. When I told you how dumb that was you said I had no evidence. I just gave you evidence that WVU does in fact cheat.

Just go home

Of course they have - I've already answered this question.

And it's not off track at all, it's in line with everything I've been saying and contradicts your "facts" about WVU not cheating. You keep trying to change the subject now that you've been proven wrong - again.

So now you're changing the rules - again. You look like a fool here, you really do.

So now you're changing the rules - again. You look like a fool here, you really do.

We are never going to agree so continuing is pointless. The surest way to know someone is losing a debate is when they resort to name calling. Have a great day.

We are never going to agree so continuing is pointless. The surest way to know someone is losing a debate is when they resort to name calling. Have a great day.
Losing a debate? You literally said WVU doesn't cheat in basketball. I showed you facts and articles they do. When presented with that, you said oh wait wait, I was talking about Oscar. Just stop. You've CLEARLY been made a fool of by two Joe's today. You should go home

Some programs cheat or look the other way while intermedories do the dirty work , we all know this . All athletes receive perks at every level , but that doesn't mean that they're all getting paid .Just because WVU landed a player that Pitt desperately needed doesn't imply they've cheated . Why through out shit at a kid who no one on here knows a thing . WVU was on him for 3yrs and all he had to do was watck Knote play last
season to want to go there. From a Pitt fan congrats on signing him in time Pitt will sign players like this and some knucklehead WVU can say Pitt paid the kid .

It's funny that you don't get that "we finished 6th in the Big 12 in recruiting" isn't actually proof that you don't cheat.

I'm still waiting on Big Zeke to tell us what Huggy offers to get these kids to come to beautiful Morgantown?Maybe he gives them a Gold Suit like the one he wore against Cincinnati.Oscar would look good in it.

Serious question.

Do you think players started showing up in Cincinnati after decades of being a doormat program at an undesirable school without inducements?

I'm still waiting on Big Zeke to tell us what Huggy offers to get these kids to come to beautiful Morgantown?Maybe he gives them a Gold Suit like the one he wore against Cincinnati.Oscar would look good in it.

I can't answer your question.I guess you'll have to ask Huggy about how he got them to go to Cincinnati.He did get a cast questionable characters while he was there.JD you show intelligence on these recruiting issues so how do you think he got them there?

Just a blanket statement, everyone cheats but some are on a whole other level (see Kansas and Louisville). To think your school's players are not being compensated at some level is naive.

When you see a big jump in recruiting success, like at Cincy- you can be pretty confident that the size of the bags also increased a lot. Danny Fortson came back to Pittsburgh from his recruiting trips with stacks of cash. I can say that with 100% certainty.

I can't answer your question.I guess you'll have to ask Huggy about how he got them to go to Cincinnati.He did get a cast questionable characters while he was there.JD you show intelligence on these recruiting issues so how do you think he got them there?

Just a blanket statement, everyone cheats but some are on a whole other level (see Kansas and Louisville). To think your school's players are not being compensated at some level is naive.

When you see a big jump in recruiting success, like at Cincy- you can be pretty confident that the size of the bags also increased a lot. Danny Fortson came back to Pittsburgh from his recruiting trips with stacks of cash. I can say that with 100% certainty.
WOW so Huggy does cheat,I'm speachless!On second thought that might be money he got from his AAU coach to transfer to Shaler from Altoona.

"When he came home from recruiting trips" is the key words here. J.O. is a whole different topic.

WOW so Huggy does cheat,I'm speachless!On second thought that might be money he got from his AAU coach to transfer to Shaler from Altoona.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT