ADVERTISEMENT

Two missing links and no, not Kante and Dior

ChiefJusticeMarshall

Sophomore
Gold Member
Jun 14, 2020
John Hugely, be that nice big body 5 averaging 10 and 5 for #9 Oklahoma
Nate Santos averaging 12 and 7, 49% from beyond the arc for a good Dayton team. He would have much more of an impact than say Jeffress.

I think these two could have changed the entire make up of this team.

Capel’s whole tenure has been “what if”

What if:
We landed one of the 5 stars - Timberlake, Reed, etc
Toney didn’t bang Champagnie’s girl
X and Trey didn’t hate each other
Champagnie sticks around for his Jr season
Hugley didn’t steal that car and have “mental health” issues

Nate Santos averaging 12 and 7, 49% from beyond the arc for a good Dayton team. He would have much more of an impact than say Jeffress.

Can't wait for @BballinsiderfromPitt to react to this one. 🤣🤣🤣

Santos is a head-scratcher. We needed a returning player to make that "great leap forward" as we came so accustomed to during the Howland/Dixon era. Burton was that guy last year. This year, I thought it could be Jeffress, Fede, or GDG. GDG improved a little. Fede got worse. Jeffress is the same as he was 2 years, incredibly. The GLF was Santos but not at Pitt.

Santos was a guy that probably needed to start out at a lower level and move up versus the route that he took. In the portal era, you’re going to see P5 teams taking less of those end of the bench projects because filling that spot on a veteran guy has so much more value.

It’s easy to point to his success at Dayton and claim we messed up, but I strongly doubt he develops the same way if he stays here. Athletically he is limited and that is already enough of an issue for us in the ACC. Playing down in the A10, which is awful this year, is great for the kid but not really an accurate representation of what he would be doing if he were on this roster

Santos was a guy that probably needed to start out at a lower level and move up versus the route that he took. In the portal era, you’re going to see P5 teams taking less of those end of the bench projects because filling that spot on a veteran guy has so much more value.

It’s easy to point to his success at Dayton and claim we messed up, but I strongly doubt he develops the same way if he stays here. Athletically he is limited and that is already enough of an issue for us in the ACC. Playing down in the A10, which is awful this year, is great for the kid but not really an accurate representation of what he would be doing if he were on this roster
Yeah, he would be totally exposed playing against teams like Northwestern, LSU, and Houston…

Yea. You really cant take guys like Santos or Barnes or Amdy Ndiaye anymore. They arent going to contribute for a couple years so they are basically just scholarship walk-ons and then they transfer. Guys like that need to prove it at a lower level first and then transfer up. The Power 6 level now consists of:

4 year players who arent quite NBA level (Bacot, RJ Davis, etc)

MM transfers

Elite freshmen

Gone are the days when a Tray Woodall or Gary McGhee would play some off the bench on good teams. If they are playing as freshmen, your team isnt very good because the teams you are playing have experienced MM guys instead of untested raw freshmen. Its completely different now.

Yea. You really cant take guys like Santos or Barnes or Amdy Ndiaye anymore. They arent going to contribute for a couple years so they are basically just scholarship walk-ons and then they transfer. Guys like that need to prove it at a lower level first and then transfer up. The Power 6 level now consists of:

MM transfers

Elite freshmen

Gone are the days when a Tray Woodall or Gary McGhee would play some off the bench on good teams. If they are playing as freshmen, your team isnt very good because the teams you are playing have experienced MM guys instead of untested raw freshmen. Its completely different now.
If you can't take guys like that, how can you fill out a 13-man roster? Teams don't have 13 starters.

Silliness.

Last edited:

MM transfers

Elite freshmen

Eh, I think you can afford to stash a few of them on your roster in hopes that one might blow up. Champagnie, for instance, wasn't all that high of a recruit. We weren't touching him if he started off elsewhere. Plus, NIL money is a variable in the equation. Nate Santos out of high school = cheap. Nate Sanots next season = expensive. Can't pay them all $100K+.

Eh, I think you can afford to stash a few of them on your roster in hopes that one might blow up. Champagnie, for instance, wasn't all that high of a recruit. We weren't touching him if he started off elsewhere.

We don't have enough players period. And this is perhaps the biggest problem overall. This is Jeff Capel's 6th season at Pitt. 4 different seasons under Capel we have lost 1 player to a suspension / expulsion which is straight up bonkers and unbelievable. Hugley, Horton, and Dior twice. In those same 4 years, we have had significant injuries. Let's take this season for example.

We started the year with 12 players, already 1 short of 13.

We lost Dior who was expelled before the season started, a projected started.
We lost Kante who is injured before the season started, a potential starter and someone that would have helped.
Ish is hurt.
And Barnes is a redshirt.

We are down to 8 players on the roster including 2 freshmen guards that are starting and a sophomore big man. You can't even practice correctly this short handed.

We have to get 13 bodies on the roster next year. Even if they are development redshirts, we need 13 bodies and not Michael Hueitt types that are last second fill-ins.

The one year we escaped the offseason without injuries / suspensions, is the year we went to the NCAA Tournament. Go figure.

Second, we are at the point that we dont need to take on head case players with talent. Stay away from them. Xavier Johnson is the perfect example. I told this board the kid was a loser 4 years ago, was uncoachable, was selfish, and is just an idiot. And people blamed Capel. Capel had to take him the first year because we had zero players. In X's 6th year at school at Indiana as a 6th year senior, he just punched a player in the nuts and got ejected. The Indiana fanbase wants this moron kicked off the team. You aren't going to win with idiots like this. If Capel keeps recruiting the Carrington's, Lowe's, Cummings, Kantes, Derek Dixon types, we will win again and be back in the NCAA Tournament. If we recruit talented knuckleheads that destroy team chemistry that are selfish me first players, we are not going anywhere.

We have 2 real nice additions coming on board next year with Kante / Cummings. The 2025 class is make or break for Capel. That class is loaded with talent and loaded with high quality players we have a legit chance to get. The 2025 class is really going to determine where this program will go in the future, and its either back to NCAA tournaments, or a potential new coach.

We don't have enough players period. And this is perhaps the biggest problem overall. This is Jeff Capel's 6th season at Pitt. 4 different seasons under Capel we have lost 1 player to a suspension / expulsion which is straight up bonkers and unbelievable. Hugley, Horton, and Dior twice. In those same 4 years, we have had significant injuries. Let's take this season for example.

We lost Kante who is injured before the season started, a potential starter and someone that would have helped.
Ish is hurt.

We are down to 8 players on the roster including 2 freshmen guards that are starting and a sophomore big man. You can't even practice correctly this short handed.

We have to get 13 bodies on the roster next year. Even if they are development redshirts, we need 13 bodies and not Michael Hueitt types that are last second fill-ins.

The one year we escaped the offseason without injuries / suspensions, is the year we went to the NCAA Tournament. Go figure.

Second, we are at the point that we dont need to take on head case players with talent. Stay away from them. Xavier Johnson is the perfect example. I told this board the kid was a loser 4 years ago, was uncoachable, was selfish, and is just an idiot. And people blamed Capel. Capel had to take him the first year because we had zero players. In X's 6th year at school at Indiana as a 6th year senior, he just punched a player in the nuts and got ejected. The Indiana fanbase wants this moron kicked off the team. You aren't going to win with idiots like this. If Capel keeps recruiting the Carrington's, Lowe's, Cummings, Kantes, Derek Dixon types, we will win again and be back in the NCAA Tournament. If we recruit talented knuckleheads that destroy team chemistry that are selfish me first players, we are not going anywhere.

We have 2 real nice additions coming on board next year with Kante / Cummings. The 2025 class is make or break for Capel. That class is loaded with talent and loaded with high quality players we have a legit chance to get. The 2025 class is really going to determine where this program will go in the future, and its either back to NCAA tournaments, or a potential new coach.
It’s pretty unbelievable that the one year we didn’t have a suspension we make the tournament…..

It's so hard to know.

Hugley is a skilled big man, but I don't know if he would ever be a good mix for a Capel team/offense. I've watched him a couple times and he's definitely a fairly talented big man who can do some things. There are some many ways he could help us. But there are problems with his game. But I don't know if he makes our team better this year. I would confidently say that would have been the case last year.

Now this year, you might make the case that with us not looking so good, that any help is welcome help. But Big John's path here just doesn't tell me that's so. Whatever was going on with John, he needed a fresh start and I'm glad he's getting it at Oklahoma.

As far as Nate, for whatever reason the switch went on with him. We can't know if that would have been the case here. Also, keep in mind that his numbers are starting to come back to earth a bit, and he's been averaging closer to 10ppg of late compared to his fast start. And over his last 7 games, he's shooting 32% from three.

Don't let me try to suggest those aren't pretty darn good numbers. They would help here. Especially since Will hasn't demonstrated the ability to play almost any offense at all. But Nate really didn't look any better than Will when he was here. For example, it wasn't as if he just wasn't hitting shots. Often, he wasn't even hitting the rim.

So to answer your question, both of those guys would make our team better if they were playing for us they way they are now. But I just don't really know, or even think they would have been playing this way for us this year.

This isn't necessarily a specific indictment of Capel. In both cases, maybe these are guys who needed a fresh start.

It's so hard to know.

Hugley is a skilled big man, but I don't know if he would ever be a good mix for a Capel team/offense. I've watched him a couple times and he's definitely a fairly talented big man who can do some things. There are some many ways he could help us. But there are problems with his game. But I don't know if he makes our team better this year. I would confidently say that would have been the case last year.

Now this year, you might make the case that with us not looking so good, that any help is welcome help. But Big John's path here just doesn't tell me that's so. Whatever was going on with John, he needed a fresh start and I'm glad he's getting it at Oklahoma.

As far as Nate, for whatever reason the switch went on with him. We can't know if that would have been the case here. Also, keep in mind that his numbers are starting to come back to earth a bit, and he's been averaging closer to 10ppg of late compared to his fast start. And over his last 7 games, he's shooting 32% from three.

Don't let me try to suggest those aren't pretty darn good numbers. They would help here. Especially since Will hasn't demonstrated the ability to play almost any offense at all. But Nate really didn't look any better than Will when he was here. For example, it wasn't as if he just wasn't hitting shots. Often, he wasn't even hitting the rim.

So to answer your question, both of those guys would make our team better if they were playing for us they way they are now. But I just don't really know, or even think they would have been playing this way for us this year.

This isn't necessarily a specific indictment of Capel. In both cases, maybe these are guys who needed a fresh start.

The only thing Im going to say in regard to Nate Santos is, Nate Santos has played the 43rd toughest schedule in the country this year and Dayton has been without its starting point guard since the season started. Pitt last year played the 81st toughest schedule when we made the NCAA Tournament. This silly notion / thought that the ACC would just beat up Nate Santos and he would stink in the ACC this year is a bunch of nonsense. Im not directing that comment toward you, but Im saying it in general because there is this complete asinine thought that because Santos plays in the A10, he's suddenly good now. No, that is incorrect and a bunch of bs. Nate Santos has played against a hard schedule this year, far harder than Pitt's NCAA tournament team last year. And his numbers speak for themselves. And certain people cant accept the fact that he is now a good player and a player that we miss. And that also is not directed at you. Dayton currently is in 1st place in the a10.

Reactions: Millerton24
If you can't take like that, how can you fill out a 13-man roster? Teams don't have 13 starters.

Silliness.

Lets say instead of Barnes, we take another MM big. Someone like a Rafael Maia maybe who knows he wont be a starter but can contribute. Had we not kept Dior, maybe we get Noah Thomasson so that Lowe and Bub werent thrown into the fire. And you only need 12. Dont need 13

Ish is hurt.

Right. We get it. Next year. Then next year it will be next year. Evergreen.

Lets say instead of Barnes, we take another MM big. Someone like a Rafael Maia maybe who knows he wont be a starter but can contribute. Had we not kept Dior, maybe we get Noah Thomasson so that Lowe and Bub werent thrown into the fire. And you only need 12. Dont need 13
Maybe, maybe, maybe. You need players and the Santos of the world should be takes, despite your silly declaration.

Right. We get it. Next year. Then next year it will be next year. Evergreen.

The first 3 years for Capel were rebuild the complete dumpster fire given to us by Stallings / Barnes. There were zero NCAA tournament expectations coming off the worst power 6 team ever assembled the first 3 years.

Assuming Pitt misses the NCAA tournament this year, Capel is 1 for 3 on NCAA Tournaments when he actually had something to work with. He gets the next 2 years to make at least 1 NCAA tournament.

It’s pretty unbelievable that the one year we didn’t have a suspension we make the tournament…..

Hugley might as well have been a suspension, though. Plus Jeffres was hurt, the twins were true freshmen, and Santos was almost unplayable.

I completely agree that we need better depth (for reasons including more opportunities for someone to get hot when they need a spark); I just don't know that we had good depth even last season when we did make the NCAAT. We seldom ever seem to under Capel, honestly.

We still could have done that even with Barnes, no? We had an open scholarship.

I mean I don't consider Hueitt a legit guard add as much as I see him as just a warm body.

Hugley ate himself to the bench and quit on Pitt . So him needing a change of scenery was mutually beneficial .

I always liked Nate . Good length and always seemed to have good attitude here . He did everything right here in his minutes other than make shots .
His shot form always looked great - they just didn’t fall.

So I’m happy the extended minutes at Dayton got his confidence back .

The first 3 years for Capel were rebuild the complete dumpster fire given to us by Stallings / Barnes. There were zero NCAA tournament expectations coming off the worst power 6 team ever assembled the first 3 years.

Assuming Pitt misses the NCAA tournament this year, Capel is 1 for 3 on NCAA Tournaments when he actually had something to work with. He gets the next 2 years to make at least 1 NCAA tournament.
Almost like 8 percent correct. Year 2/3 were a disaster because he went into 2 shorthanded 4 scholarships, 3 because he didn't add any extra pieces and couldn't manage the locker room. 4 was a complete disaster again because he relied on mid Major guys like Femi... btw this will be the twins soon...

Year 5 extremely lucky that Hugley ate himself out of the lineup and had a great year. Year 6 back to the poor roster construction, disastrous offense and suspended players. In short, the tenure has been an epic failure. There won't be an NCAA this year and most likely not an NIT.

The buyout wouldn't even be much to eat this year. But he'll get next, barring a 2-18 collapse. And unless he gets Thomas and an NCAA appearance, next year will be his last. So start scouting now Heather.

Almost like 8 percent correct. Year 2/3 were a disaster because he went into 2 shorthanded 4 scholarships, 3 because he didn't add any extra pieces and couldn't manage the locker room. 4 was a complete disaster again because he relied on mid Major guys like Femi... btw this will be the twins soon...

Year 5 extremely lucky that Hugley ate himself out of the lineup and had a great year. Year 6 back to the poor roster construction, disastrous offense and suspended players. In short, the tenure has been an epic failure. There won't be an NCAA this year and most likely not an NIT.

The buyout wouldn't even be much to eat this year. But he'll get next, barring a 2-18 collapse. And unless he gets Thomas and an NCAA appearance, next year will be his last. So start scouting now Heather.

We can agree to disagree on what you wrote above.

I think the 2025 class which currently sits at 0 commits could (not necessarily will) be one of Pitts best classes ever. That is a mighty bold thing I just said right there. And I could eat a massive amount of crow for it whether we even get these players or not. But Im telling you, 2025 is a power year for talent in the national class.

And I really like where we are at and sit with Derek Dixon and Meleek Thomas, arguably the top 2 targets regardless of class. I think we are right there for Evans. And I think we are in the top 4ish for Bundalo, among others. Obviously things need to come together and this team this year needs to get its head out of the sand starting with Hinson and win some games. But 2025 could be massive in terms of talent, one upping the current class that just came in with Carrington / Lowe / Kante.

And I really like the fact that these targets are repeat visitors to Pitt over and over again. Dixon has been to Pitt 3 times now and I told you guys he was visiting again before he attended the Duke game. He is supposed to commit late spring. We were 2 deep for Dixon's game the other night. Get 1 of these 2025 studs early, and it sets the stage for others to join.

I think the 2025 class which currently sits at 0 commits could (not necessarily will) be one of Pitts best classes ever. That is a mighty bold thing I just said right there. And I could eat a massive amount of crow for it whether we even get these players or not. But Im telling you, 2025 is a power year for talent in the national class.

And I really like where we are at and sit with Derek Dixon and Meleek Thomas, arguably the top 2 targets regardless of class. I think we are right there for Evans. And I think we are in the top 4ish for Bundalo, among others. Obviously things need to come together and this team this year needs to get its head out of the sand starting with Hinson and win some games. But 2025 could be massive in terms of talent, one upping the current class that just came in with Carrington / Lowe / Kante.

And I really like the fact that these targets are repeat visitors to Pitt over and over again. Dixon has been to Pitt 3 times now and I told you guys he was visiting again before he attended the Duke game. He is supposed to commit late spring. We were 2 deep for Dixon's game the other night. Get 1 of these 2025 studs early, and it sets the stage for others to join.
If they’re gonna get Meleek Thomas, it will be because he’s from Pittsburgh and the $ is comparable. It will have nothing to do with Jeff Capel. They don’t need him in place to get Meleek.

If Kentucky offers 1.2 and we offer 1 and Brandin Knight is the head coach, how would it be any different (outside of possibly getting competent coaching)?

The expectation was NCAAT in Year 3 but some of seen that as somewhat of a stretch. Year 4 would have been acceptable. Didnt make it in Year 4 but that was Covid so it was whatever. Year 5 was the first real disappointment but then we made it in Year 6. So he is 1 for 4 in my opinion if he misses this year

All you do is keep kicking the can down the road. I'm waiting for your post telling us 2029 will be the year Capel gets it done smh.

So I guess the place to play has suddenly become Rutgers ! It couldn’t be because the boosters raised enough cash to buy themselves the highly rated high school kids that usually choose Duke or Kentucky.

If people want a consistent top 10-15 program at Pitt it’s going to require one thing and it’s not a new head coach it’s bags full of cash !

Great coaches have great players and win championships with them . At no time during his time at Pitt has JC had a roster full of great players . Just look at their preseason ranking , always near the bottom of the ACC .

The shit hole that was Pitt Bb after Stallings wasn‘t a drawing card for great players who can go anywhere they want . For a matter of fact nor was the coaching position which pays millions of dollars after they fired KS . Now with NIL money being the most important thing in D 1 sports does anyone believe Pitt has anywhere near the funds of other top programs.

With Bub , Lowe and Cummings next season Pitt could have its most talented roster in yrs . JC is slowly improving the talent , but they’re young which isn’t the easy way for success . Buying the best in the portal is the way to go , but does he have the cash to do so …..obviously not .

I was a fan of JD , he gave us many great yrs , but towards the end of his stay here he couldn’t get any quality grad transfers and was struggling recruiting high school kids too . Pitt just isn’t an easy place to recruit too .

I want Pitt to win the ACC and the national championship , but under the current circumstances in college ball where cash is king , I just don’t see it happening unless they can pool enough really wealthy boosters together and raise millions of dollars to buy players not a coach .

Reactions: Pittisit4me
The only thing Im going to say in regard to Nate Santos is, Nate Santos has played the 43rd toughest schedule in the country this year and Dayton has been without its starting point guard since the season started. Pitt last year played the 81st toughest schedule when we made the NCAA Tournament. This silly notion / thought that the ACC would just beat up Nate Santos and he would stink in the ACC this year is a bunch of nonsense. Im not directing that comment toward you, but Im saying it in general because there is this complete asinine thought that because Santos plays in the A10, he's suddenly good now. No, that is incorrect and a bunch of bs. Nate Santos has played against a hard schedule this year, far harder than Pitt's NCAA tournament team last year. And his numbers speak for themselves. And certain people cant accept the fact that he is now a good player and a player that we miss. And that also is not directed at you. Dayton currently is in 1st place in the a10.

I criticized Santos' game here at Pitt as much as anyone on this board. Even
though accused of throwing him under the bus for saying that he "couldn't
put the ball in the ocean" despite being hyped as a shooter. His stats here
at Pitt speak for themselves.
2021-22 FG 32%, 3 Pt 22% PPG 2.8, FT 62%, Minutes PG 12.8
2022-23 FG 29% 3 Pt 15% PPG 1.6, FT 63% Minutes PG 7.3

At the time, I felt he was not an ACC level player. He appeared to be a good
team mate, played decent defense, and hustled. I'm glad he's now finding
success at A-1 Dayton which is most likely the best A-10 team and program.
He's surrounded by good players and appears to have found his level. After
14 games he was averaging more minutes (33) than any player on the team.

Would he help this current Pitt team? Would he have found his stroke this year
after what we saw his first two years here? Would he suddenly become an ACC
level player this year? Personally, I doubt it, but we'll never know. What we do
know is he dropped down to the A-10 and apparently found his level and success.
I'm happy for him.

Maybe it's the city of Pittsburgh that gives Santos the heebee jeebees, because he was 3-9 from the field against the Dukes. 9 points, 8 rebounds, 2 assists.

Daron Holmes with 33 and 12 for the Flyers.

I criticized Santos' game here at Pitt as much as anyone on this board. Even
though accused of throwing him under the bus for saying that he "couldn't
put the ball in the ocean" despite being hyped as a shooter. His stats here
at Pitt speak for themselves.
2021-22 FG 32%, 3 Pt 22% PPG 2.8, FT 62%, Minutes PG 12.8
2022-23 FG 29% 3 Pt 15% PPG 1.6, FT 63% Minutes PG 7.3

At the time, I felt he was not an ACC level player. He appeared to be a good
team mate, played decent defense, and hustled. I'm glad he's now finding
success at A-1 Dayton which is most likely the best A-10 team and program.
He's surrounded by good players and appears to have found his level. After
14 games he was averaging more minutes (33) than any player on the team.

Would he help this current Pitt team? Would he have found his stroke this year
after what we saw his first two years here? Would he suddenly become an ACC
level player this year? Personally, I doubt it, but we'll never know. What we do
know is he dropped down to the A-10 and apparently found his level and success.
I'm happy for him.
When a decent portion of our fanbase is now longing for Nate Santos, you know you have a terrible basketball team once again.

When a decent portion of our fanbase is now longing for Nate Santos, you know you have a terrible basketball team once again.

It will be really, really interesting what type of interest Santos gets shall he choose to transfer again. And I hope he does transfer again. My forecast is, he will be getting heavy power 6 interest. He's a 6'7 wing / forward averaging 12ppg and 7 rebounds per game while shooting 49% from 3.

Yea buddy, you read that correctly, 49% from 3.

By the way, I think it is absolutely awesome that a bunch of Pitt players went out to support Santos and his game with Dayton.

Qudus Wahab transferred out of Georgetown to Maryland only to transfer back to Georgetown later on. I wonder if this has any possibility at all.

This is what teammates should be all about. Support for one another. I love seeing this.

GDsHzCIW8AA1yGX

It will be really, really interesting what type of interest Santos gets shall he choose to transfer again. And I hope he does transfer again. My forecast is, he will be getting heavy power 6 interest. He's a 6'7 wing / forward averaging 12ppg and 7 rebounds per game while shooting 49% from 3.

Yea buddy, you read that correctly, 49% from 3.

The key is to be the last one in the portal like Ithiel Horton. Then you can go to Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, you name it. Not even joking. If you are one of the last unsigned HS or portal dudes, you can pretty much call any blue blood and tell them you are coming. Anyone with a ship will take a flyer (pun intended).

Santos had a history at Pitt and unless he really came through in the limited minutes in games it would’ve been very difficult for him to change the coaches minds on what type of player he can be…. Just look at Mason Rudolph. According to many who witnessed camp they thought Mason was the best of three . (So far by a mile ! )

He’s probably having a fine time at Dayton , he’s getting plenty of PT and the advantages off the court for starters are much better than some guy collecting splinters . Plus he’s playing at a team that wins more games than Pitt . Winning is much more fun . He should stay where he’s at an enjoy his success !

Here we go again.

By the way, I think it is absolutely awesome that a bunch of Pitt players went out to support Santos and his game with Dayton.

Qudus Wahab transferred out of Georgetown to Maryland only to transfer back to Georgetown later on. I wonder if this has any possibility at all.

This is what teammates should be all about. Support for one another. I love seeing this.

GDsHzCIW8AA1yGX
Well these players on this team seem like genuinely good dudes. Easy to root for. And they seem more like college kids than some of the teams. Unfortunately that also might be a problem.

Reactions: FireballZ
Here we go again.

What exactly do you mean by again?

These are the last 8 high school commits.

Brandin Cummings- borderline 4 star just outside the national top 100 which is criminally underrated
Amdy Ndiaye- 3 star recruit and a 4 star on ESPN
Papa Kante- 4 star
Carlton Carrington- 4 star
Jaland Lowe - 4 star
Dior Johnson- 4 star
Diaz Graham twins- top 150 recruits, top 100 4 stars on ON3

These guys are rated nationally far higher than what Pitt was bringing in with respect to the 2019 , 2020, and 2021 recruiting classes. Pitt's program was deader than dead the way Stallings left it. Jeff Capel has stepped up and delivered better recruiting. These players are both underclassmen and not even on the roster yet.

What exactly do you mean by again?

These are the last 8 high school commits.

Brandin Cummings- borderline 4 star just outside the national top 100 which is criminally underrated
Amdy Ndiaye- 3 star recruit and a 4 star on ESPN
Papa Kante- 4 star
Carlton Carrington- 4 star
Jaland Lowe - 4 star
Dior Johnson- 4 star
Diaz Graham twins- top 150 recruits, top 100 4 stars on ON3

These guys are rated nationally far higher than what Pitt was bringing in with respect to the 2019 , 2020, and 2021 recruiting classes. Pitt's program was deader than dead the way Stallings left it. Jeff Capel has stepped up and delivered better recruiting. These players are both underclassmen and not even on the roster yet.
Capel can recruit. We need that.

There was a question if he could promote. Team chemistry. I think he answered that.

There is a question if he can coach. Unfortunately, I think he answered that (in a negative fashion) as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT