ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA & Rick Barnes

TD_6082

Athletic Director
Aug 11, 2001
Hampton Roads, VA
I wonder if there is anything to it, or if Barnes is just trying cash in on a nice 2 year run before some good players exit.
He seems to be a good fit where He's at.

Weird coaching search at UCLA.

Reactions: bobfree
Barnes and Krueger reportedly initially were eliminated in the first vetting, but they apparently are loosening the standards now. I sense slightly more excitement about Krueger though.

Reactions: bobfree
Krueger has put out a statement saying that hasn't had any contact with UCLA and hasn't been interviewed.

Last edited:
I have to give Villanova and Jay Wright a hell of a lot of credit. All these years Wright hasn't flirted with other scholls ala JD and his name NEVER comes up in coaching searches. This is almost unheard of for a coach as successful as him at a small school.

I have to give Villanova and Jay Wright a hell of a lot of credit. All these years Wright hasn't flirted with other scholls ala JD and his name NEVER comes up in coaching searches. This is almost unheard of for a coach as successful as him at a small school.
Same with Mark Few.

Reactions: Delpanther
He is the 8th highest paid coach at close to $4,000,000/yr so there’s not many places to go that are offering more money . He’s also turned Villanova into an annual national contender why start over ?

Never understood guys who are very well paid and very successful where they’re at changing schools . I guess Buzz wanted more than the reported $3,000,000/yr he was getting paid at VT .

Maybe Villanova was smart enough to have a huge buyout in his contract that they point blank told him will not be reduced .

He is the 8th highest paid coach at close to $4,000,000/yr so there’s not many places to go that are offering more money . He’s also turned Villanova into an annual national contender why start over ?

Never understood guys who are very well paid and very successful where they’re at changing schools . I guess Buzz wanted more than the reported $3,000,000/yr he was getting paid at VT .

Maybe Villanova was smart enough to have a huge buyout in his contract that they point blank told him will not be reduced .
Many coaches in his position that have left for greener pastures at places like Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, UCLA and big name schools at big name conferences etc. He's a pretty unique bird and Villanova deserves a hell of a lot of credit for keeping him happy!.

Many coaches in his position that have left for greener pastures at places like Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, UCLA and big name schools at big name conferences etc. He's a pretty unique bird and Villanova deserves a hell of a lot of credit for keeping him happy!.
Same with Mark Few.

Jay Wright has everything at Villanova. He is like Coach K now in terms of stature. Maybe Nova has a special retirement package or longevity package for him that isn’t talked about.

Plus he only has to beat the crap out of 4-5 conference foes each year instead of an ACC or Big Loser 10 conference

Same with Mark Few.

Both have been mentioned as candidates plenty over the years. Oregon, Arizona, UCLA, and Washington have tried to get Few. Jay Wright turned down Kentucky in 2009 and his name has come up for some NBA jobs as well, like the Knicks, Sixers, and Lakers. They just choose to stay, which is good. They don't drag anything out and try to leverage for more money.

Both have been mentioned as candidates plenty over the years. Oregon, Arizona, UCLA, and Washington have tried to get Few. Jay Wright turned down Kentucky in 2009 and his name has come up for some NBA jobs as well, like the Knicks, Sixers, and Lakers. They just choose to stay, which is good. They don't drag anything out and try to leverage for more money.
Exactly. While it is okay for coaches to try and extort as much money as possible with these either feigned or real flirtations with other jobs, I really respect those guys who don't put themselves out there for seemingly every opening.

Exactly. While it is okay for coaches to try and extort as much money as possible with these either feigned or real flirtations with other jobs, I really respect those guys who don't put themselves out there for seemingly every opening.
Yea, how many times can a coach approach his AD with the spiel that si and so is chasing him and offered him “x” before that act gets stale and negatively impacts the relationship with his current employer? Anybody you know who overused this tactic?

Apparently, There is a rift between Barnes & AD Fulmer. It's not about money for Rick. It's about a lack of support for his program. It seems he had to fight for modest raises for his assistants, while UT has been throwing big money around for whatever the football program wants or needs. It's a matter of feeling appreciated.

Fulmer is a piece of work. He screwed Johnny Majors when he was majors top assistant. Majors was taking time off due to cardiac surgery or something like that and fulmer started his politicking for the head coaches job. Tennessee eventually booted Johnny as Head Coach and out Fulmer in. The Vols had slipped somewhat and Majors was on the warm seat but it was still dirty stuff by Fulmer

Reactions: 33pitt99
Fulmer is a piece of work. He screwed Johnny Majors when he was majors top assistant. Majors was taking time off due to cardiac surgery or something like that and fulmer started his politicking for the head coaches job. Tennessee eventually booted Johnny as Head Coach and out Fulmer in. The Vols had slipped somewhat and Majors was on the warm seat but it was still dirty stuff by Fulmer

Fulmer also tried to rat out Bama for dirty recruiting. Imagine that?! Tennessee trying to claim dirty recruiting.

He paid $10,000 to avoid the SEC media day in Alabama because he was subpoenaed by the state of Alabama to testify on his claims. Two Bama coaches sued the NCAA for libel. He wouldn’t show up.

Apparently, There is a rift between Barnes & AD Fulmer. It's not about money for Rick. It's about a lack of support for his program. It seems he had to fight for modest raises for his assistants, while UT has been throwing big money around for whatever the football program wants or needs. It's a matter of feeling appreciated.

It just seems like this ultimately happens at football schools. It is not a mere coincidence that Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, Villanova, UCLA, Indiana and Virginia are middling at best at football, and schools like Alabama, Texas, USC, PSU, LSU, Clemson, etc are rather middling in basketball

You do have some crossovers like Michigan State, but usually one sport still dominates the other.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT