ADVERTISEMENT

Uniforms (oh no not another thread on uniforms)

cbpitt2

Freshman
Sep 12, 2011
Ok, if you're an old fart like me, this is and probably will always be my favorite Pitt uniform. I always thought of it as mustard gold.

238026fdfbfc80d317a325f0933c50ba_zpsbpqxf585.jpg

Then came along what I refer to as Van Pelt gold. My second favorite.

1786514_zpsjpvxsnko.jpg

So then Stevie comes along and changes the colors and which are ok, but to me they look too much like Navy, Georgia Tech, and Notre Dame's. The uniqueness of the blue-gold uniforms were lost.

pittstevie_zpsfax5dfhk.jpg

navy_zpsc82afvqq.jpg

gt_zpslb98o90f.jpg

nd_zpsrx4cbsbn.jpg

So then last year we had this:

20161119mfpittsports15-2_zps9kranulp.jpg

Not quite as bright as Van Pelt gold.

So what is Heather referring to for our uniforms to be?

Blue and old gold are our colors, regardless of what variations have been worn throughout the years.

For that reason, the navy and gold with Pitt script is what I think should be our base uniform. Stick with those and use the others as alternates.

Blue and old gold are our colors, regardless of what variations have been worn throughout the years.

For that reason, the navy and gold with Pitt script is what I think should be our base uniform. Stick with those and use the others as alternates.

But nobody cares, ask anyone between 35-75 what are Pitt's colors, most would pick the unis from the '70s-'80s

But nobody cares, ask anyone between 35-75 what are Pitt's colors, most would pick the unis from the '70s-'80s
Just curious if over the years this has changed...on my diploma given in 1986 there is a ribbon, straddling the corner; navy blue & a gold closer to yellow orangeish than say the old gold.
I always took this as the schools colors.

The nicest Pitt unis worn were the throwbacks vs Youngstown St when Palko was here

Second, in my opinion, is last years throwbacks

I care, but I'm 32. Our "default" colors were always navy blue and old gold the 4 years I was in college. Regardless, Pitt's actual colors are navy and old gold. I get having alternate colors, but changing the base uniform to colors that arent actually Pitt's doesnt make much sense to me. FWIW - My diploma is also navy blue and old gold (not the mustardy color).

Two other reasons to stick with navy and old gold:
1. While the 35 and over crowd may associate the mustard with their memories of Pitt, the 34 and under do not. The swag sold by the University and what is actually worn should stay the same. Simply by virtue of being younger, the 34 and younger crowd will buy more gear. Therefore, Pitt should stick to the navy and old gold.

2. That mustard color looks good with literally nothing. Selfishly, I want to rep Pitt but also not look like I came out of an early 80's magazine.

Reactions: brickfhouse
The nicest Pitt unis worn were the throwbacks vs Youngstown St when Palko was here

Second, in my opinion, is last years throwbacks

Interesting anecdote, I worked with the team that year and those uni's were super cheaply made. While some players may have liked the colors, they all agreed that the actual uniforms sucked.

Agree, Navy and Old Gold. If the administration would put more money, effort and support towards the football program perhaps Pitt could eventually be declared at the very least the Coastal Division Champ. Putting time and effort into shades of blue and gold is stupid, the priority should be to build a strong football program that wins championships.

Just curious if over the years this has changed...on my diploma given in 1986 there is a ribbon, straddling the corner; navy blue & a gold closer to yellow orangeish than say the old gold.
I always took this as the schools colors.

Oldest known reference to Pitt's colors that I have ever found come from the October 1890 edition of the University Courant (forerunner to The Pitt News).

for full page see http://digital.library.pitt.edu/cgi...o=e39398v04n07;page=root;size=s;frm=frameset;

This was back when Pitt was still named the Western University of Pennsylvania, so renamed from Pittsburgh Academy when granted university status in 1819 because it was to be the western version of the University of Pennsylvania (in Philly). One unconfirmed story is that blue and gold were adopted from the colors of Pennsylvania.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parkview57
I care, but I'm 32. Our "default" colors were always navy blue and old gold the 4 years I was in college. Regardless, Pitt's actual colors are navy and old gold. I get having alternate colors, but changing the base uniform to colors that arent actually Pitt's doesnt make much sense to me. FWIW - My diploma is also navy blue and old gold (not the mustardy color).

Two other reasons to stick with navy and old gold:
1. While the 35 and over crowd may associate the mustard with their memories of Pitt, the 34 and under do not. The swag sold by the University and what is actually worn should stay the same. Simply by virtue of being younger, the 34 and younger crowd will buy more gear. Therefore, Pitt should stick to the navy and old gold.

2. That mustard color looks good with literally nothing. Selfishly, I want to rep Pitt but also not look like I came out of an early 80's magazine.

If you were in school in the mid- to early-2000, the colors used by the school were Vegas Gold and Midnight Blue...or close to what is used now, although the blue became more navy than midnight sometime in the 2000s. But the metallic/vegas gold has been used as the actual colors of the university's branding, in all areas, since 1997 (although it took some time to phase out all the old signage and seals).

However, the athletic department has always kept its Varsity Letter jackets as old gold and navy. Otherwise, there's been no consistency to what is actually used for very long stretches.
83311_01_lg.jpg

Last edited:
If you were in school in the mid- to early-2000, the colors used by the school were Vegas Gold and Midnight Blue...or close to what is used now, although the blue became more navy than midnight sometime in the 2000s. But the metallic/vegas gold has been used as the actual colors of the university's branding, in all areas, since 1997 (although it took some time to phase out all the old signage and seals).

However, the athletic department has always kept its Varsity Letter jackets as old gold and navy. Otherwise, there's been no consistency to what is actually used for very long stretches.
83311_01_lg.jpg
In the 1950,s the uniform was Khaki pants, navy blue helmet with gold stripe, jersey home was navy blue and away was white. If I recall correctly their number was on the helmet.

Ok, if you're an old fart like me, this is and probably will always be my favorite Pitt uniform. I always thought of it as mustard gold. So what is Heather referring to for our uniforms to be?

These are the PITT uniforms I grew up with. Classic.
80977_01_lg.jpg
80977_05_lg.jpg

In the 1950,s the uniform was Khaki pants, navy blue helmet with gold stripe, jersey home was navy blue and away was white. If I recall correctly their number was on the helmet.

1955 27-7 win over Cal at Pitt Stadium.
PittvsCal55_Owl56pg302.jpg

Keep in mind, in photos, shades of colors can vary based on lighting, etc.

They definitely used a blue helmet, but I think 1958 through the mid 60s (around when Ditka played)

1958 vs PSU in Pitt Stadium.
1958PittvsPSU_PittStadium.jpg

Away game in that era...
PAXXUP5865d.jpg

Last edited:
metallic or vegas gold needs to go away. pens got rid of it, pitt should follow. it is so terribly blah, looks almost off-white in the sun, never matches correctly from fabric to helmet.. I personally prefer the mustard or Old gold (if I have my color verbage down correctly) or go with the canary yellow. bolder the better. this vegas gold almost comes off as beige or light khaki..

Don't feel too passionately about blues. I like royal blue, don't like when they go to dark, midnight blueish, which has been the trend the last 10-15 years.. The smurf or light blue in last year's retros is better than midnight blue in my opinion but if I had to pick, I'd go with the late 70s to mid 80's royal blue..

Think they had it perfect with Majors II era, even though ironically those teams were painfully bad..

I like the ones they wore last year vs. GT and Duke.

vs. GT if they had gone with the Navy & Gold it would have looked like the GT spring game!

So many schools have that Navy and Gold look, the lighter blue and yellow just sets them apart.

Reactions: cbpitt2
though ironically those teams were painfully bad..

I was at the game one year vs. Ohio State, tOSU returned the opening kick off for a TD as we entered the stadium, we went down 49-0 at the half, then I remember watching the 2nd half at the top of The O drinking beer and eating pizza as we rallied for a 63-28 loss!

That was 1996's homecoming right? If so that was my senior year. I still am miffed at the talent Pitt had in basketball and football and yet no success on the field while I was there in the mid 90s. It's mind boggling

That was 1996's homecoming right? If so that was my senior year. I still am miffed at the talent Pitt had in basketball and football and yet no success on the field while I was there in the mid 90s. It's mind boggling

It was '93, I looked it up, we did have Curtis Martin as our star RB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT