ADVERTISEMENT

UPJ Exhibition Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** Before this exhibition with our Johnstown Panther brethren, I had the usual pleasure of chatting with PantherLair Commander @Chris Peak He remarked how much different the Panther Sports landscape has flip-flopped in a mere 365 days. After all, a year ago we still held the ones wearing helmets in higher regard, and those on the hardwood seemed hopeless.

** This time, we enter the hoops season with a nice share of excitement, or at least enough to bring our collective spirts a little higher.

** And nothing we watched tonight should quell any of the aforementioned excitement. But if you are also one to enter a season with some caution, and I’m typically one to fall into this camp, there wasn’t quite enough to witness to feel any sense of certainty that this is an NCAA team.

** Regardless, I’ll offer my thoughts, with all of the usual disclaimers that this was only one game, that being just an exhibition, against an undersized, overmatched foe.

** Overall, to me this already feels like a team who knows who they are, which is one that let’s the three fly, and tries to get after it on defense.

** Keep in mind that I’m not saying our defense was good, because at times it actually wasn’t. Sometimes, we overplayed a little too much on the perimeter, allowing UPJ more deep looks than I liked, and some easier-than-they-should-have-been drives to the basket.

** Offensively, I was encouraged to see a little more motion than was the standard a year ago, and a little more got done with the pass instead of the dribble drive.

** Also, UPJ never offered a zone to my recollection, which we know has caused some problems for CapelBall in years past.

** As for the lineup, Bub, Ish, Zach, Blake and Fede are the clear first five. Jaland backs up the one and two, Will played some three and a bit of four, JDiaz ran at the four, and GDiaz backed up Fede.

** This group of nine were the only ones who played in the first half which should give a pretty good idea of the rotation.

** Mike Hueitt got some good run in the second half, including a brief stint with the first five minus Ish. Mike has a nice and high, but not particularly fast, release. But he is fearless to let it fly, and there could be spots during the year for his skill.

** Still, if you are going to find a player of the game among our Panthers, tonight Bub Carrington fits the bill. There really wasn’t anything he didn’t do well. He was confident, assertive and shot the three very well.

** It’s too soon for me to jump on board the @whirlybird optio Bub Hype Train. I’ll have to see a couple games against better teams before I’m convinced he’s the real REAL deal. But it also took me quite a while to be convinced that Nelly could play last year, and I ended up being very late to that party.

** On the other hand, I am already headed to the party with Ishmael Leggett. I continue to be impressed, and his three point shooting only added on for me. He also had three really nice takes to the rack that he didn’t, but probably should have finished. Make a couple of those, and he’s the player of the game instead of Bub.

** My favorite play from Ish however was on the break early in the second half. He could have taken the ball all the way to the hole for a tough two, but instead found Fede for the flush. Perfectly unselfish.

** Jaland Lowe completes the backcourt well. He has skills, but he seems to lack a touch of the confidence Bub brings at the moment.

** At the three, Zach does plenty of nice things, although he needs to keep his feet a little more on up fakes. Still, he had gorgeous one touch pass to Ish for a three as well as a high flying highlight slam. To the downside, he missed all three of his threes which were the open spot up variety. The Panthers need him to get one or two of those a game.

** Will actually played very well if you can forget the fact his jump shooting doesn’t look like it has progressed at all. But he was very active of the glass and on defense and passed the ball quite well. He actually should have had a 4th assist but GDiaz blew a pretty ally oopp pass on the break.

** The Twins continued to show the improved confidence we saw in the open practice, including some nifty handle bringing the ball up the court. They should hit a little better from beyond the arc than they did today too. My only disappointment was with a little of GDiaz’s work on defense down low, as UPJ bested him with some pivots in the paint.

** Fede showed up fine, and looks and feels a little stronger. But he didn’t show anything that would indicate any kind of an offensive step forward.

** It’s safe to guess that GDiaz and Fede will share the minutes at the five. But what remains to be seen is who will end up with more minutes between Will and JDiaz behind Blake and Zach.

** What we know for sure is that Blake will play something like 34 minutes or more in games that matter. He wasn’t quite the shooter tonight we’ve grown accustomed to seeing. But he did other things well, including some good defensive switching. There’s no reason to fear he’s not our huge horse.

** And really, there’s no reason not to hope this can be an NCAA team again this year. Much like last year, there appears again to be a nice togetherness among the guys, which it feels like is somehow spurred on by the Twins.

** This group also appears to be a touch more athletic than last year, and maybe even more unselfish. Additionally, they really took care of the ball well except for a few sloppy final minutes.

** And just like last year, these guys really look like they have fun playing basketball. Last year, they carried that fun into an appearance into the Round of 32. Tonight, they gave the Panther fans in attendance something to enjoy as there hasn’t been a whole lot of that in Panther Nation for the last two months. And that made the night all the more worthwhile for me for sure.

A few things.

We have a couple guys, Hueitt being primary among them (Lowe as well), who like to shoot the basketball. I mean, really, really like to shoot the basketball. If they are going to continue doing that at the rate they did tonight, let's hope they are actually better at it when the real lights are on.

On the other hand, Jeffres doesn't look like he really likes to shoot the basketball. And based on the past and based on tonight, that is probably a good thing.

Carrington is going to be a player. He does a lot of different things. Good things. Get on the train early, DT!

Leggett is also a player. Those two are going to alleviate a lot of concern about our guards.

Of course tonight's opponent was, well, not good. Not good at all. Predicted to finish 5th out of 9 in the PSAC West. Which I am pretty sure means that there are some really bad teams in the PSAC West.

Much like last year, there appears again to be a nice togetherness among the guys, which it feels like is somehow spurred on by the Twins.

** This group also appears to be a touch more athletic than last year, and maybe even more unselfish. Additionally, they really took care of the ball well except for a few sloppy final minutes.

** And just like last year, these guys really look like they have fun playing basketball. Last year, they carried that fun into an appearance into the Round of 32. Tonight, they gave the Panther fans in attendance something to enjoy as there hasn’t been a whole lot of that in Panther Nation for the last two months. And that made the night all the more worthwhile for me for sure.

Thanks for the in depth post. Great break down on each player. However these
last three paragraphs of your post are what I was looking to see. They seem to be
"more athletic"...."appears again to be a nice togetherness among the guys." This
indicaates to me that Capel has again taken a group of players and has them
playing not only together, but showing an all important chemistry. That's not so
easy in this day of a free wheeling portal. There's talent. We know that, and apparently
they're in sync. Thanks for keeping us informed. I'm looking forward to seeing them
on tv.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
A few things.

We have a couple guys, Hueitt being primary among them (Lowe as well), who like to shoot the basketball. I mean, really, really like to shoot the basketball. If they are going to continue doing that at the rate they did tonight, let's hope they are actually better at it when the real lights are on.

On the other hand, Jeffres doesn't look like he really likes to shoot the basketball. And based on the past and based on tonight, that is probably a good thing.

Carrington is going to be a player. He does a lot of different things. Good things. Get on the train early, DT!

Leggett is also a player. Those two are going to alleviate a lot of concern about our guards.

Of course tonight's opponent was, well, not good. Not good at all. Predicted to finish 5th out of 9 in the PSAC West. Which I am pretty sure means that there are some really bad teams in the PSAC West.

Lowe is a bit of a volume scorer. He can get you points in a variety of ways but isn't the most consistent shooter. But he has made it a habit of making big shots in big moments when needed. He actually tied for the most shot attempts today with 9, a tad surprising he led the team with this many.

He was a balanced PG in the EYBL, he was a scoring PG in high school. I think we have enough scoring weapons this year. He should stick to being a balanced PG this season to maximize our team efficiency on offense. He certainly is not shy to try and score.

A few things.

Ok, Hueitt likes to shoot. Well, some players like to "gun." If he's not a shotmaker, it's
Capel's job to curtail it. Of course he probably won't be getting that many minutes
with the three guards ahead of him. Your comment on Jeffres is interesting. Hell, he
hasn't bee a shooter since he's arrived. No wonder he doesn't look like he likes shooting.
Capel said in the post game interview that it's his D and his rebounding they need. If he
gives us that in a substitute role, I'll be happy. We have guys that can shoot.

You apparently weren't impressed with UPJ. Ok, it was an exhibition and a lot of teams
are playing D 11 teams in exhibition. I watched a lot of the Syracuse exhibition on the
tube tonight and wasn't impressed with their 25 pt win against D11 St. Rose. Say again,
St. Rose?....LOL. I'm happy with what I'm hearing about us from you guys who saw
us tonight. Thanks.

Reactions: cptblood
** Before this exhibition with our Johnstown Panther brethren, I had the usual pleasure of chatting with PantherLair Commander @Chris Peak He remarked how much different the Panther Sports landscape has flip-flopped in a mere 365 days. After all, a year ago we still held the ones wearing helmets in higher regard, and those on the hardwood seemed hopeless.

** This time, we enter the hoops season with a nice share of excitement, or at least enough to bring our collective spirts a little higher.

** And nothing we watched tonight should quell any of the aforementioned excitement. But if you are also one to enter a season with some caution, and I’m typically one to fall into this camp, there wasn’t quite enough to witness to feel any sense of certainty that this is an NCAA team.

** Regardless, I’ll offer my thoughts, with all of the usual disclaimers that this was only one game, that being just an exhibition, against an undersized, overmatched foe.

** Overall, to me this already feels like a team who knows who they are, which is one that let’s the three fly, and tries to get after it on defense.

** Keep in mind that I’m not saying our defense was good, because at times it actually wasn’t. Sometimes, we overplayed a little too much on the perimeter, allowing UPJ more deep looks than I liked, and some easier-than-they-should-have-been drives to the basket.

** Offensively, I was encouraged to see a little more motion than was the standard a year ago, and a little more got done with the pass instead of the dribble drive.

** Also, UPJ never offered a zone to my recollection, which we know has caused some problems for CapelBall in years past.

** As for the lineup, Bub, Ish, Zach, Blake and Fede are the clear first five. Jaland backs up the one and two, Will played some three and a bit of four, JDiaz ran at the four, and GDiaz backed up Fede.

** This group of nine were the only ones who played in the first half which should give a pretty good idea of the rotation.

** Mike Hueitt got some good run in the second half, including a brief stint with the first five minus Ish. Mike has a nice and high, but not particularly fast, release. But he is fearless to let it fly, and there could be spots during the year for his skill.

** Still, if you are going to find a player of the game among our Panthers, tonight Bub Carrington fits the bill. There really wasn’t anything he didn’t do well. He was confident, assertive and shot the three very well.

** It’s too soon for me to jump on board the @whirlybird optio Bub Hype Train. I’ll have to see a couple games against better teams before I’m convinced he’s the real REAL deal. But it also took me quite a while to be convinced that Nelly could play last year, and I ended up being very late to that party.

** On the other hand, I am already headed to the party with Ishmael Leggett. I continue to be impressed, and his three point shooting only added on for me. He also had three really nice takes to the rack that he didn’t, but probably should have finished. Make a couple of those, and he’s the player of the game instead of Bub.

** My favorite play from Ish however was on the break early in the second half. He could have taken the ball all the way to the hole for a tough two, but instead found Fede for the flush. Perfectly unselfish.

** Jaland Lowe completes the backcourt well. He has skills, but he seems to lack a touch of the confidence Bub brings at the moment.

** At the three, Zach does plenty of nice things, although he needs to keep his feet a little more on up fakes. Still, he had gorgeous one touch pass to Ish for a three as well as a high flying highlight slam. To the downside, he missed all three of his threes which were the open spot up variety. The Panthers need him to get one or two of those a game.

** Will actually played very well if you can forget the fact his jump shooting doesn’t look like it has progressed at all. But he was very active of the glass and on defense and passed the ball quite well. He actually should have had a 4th assist but GDiaz blew a pretty ally oopp pass on the break.

** The Twins continued to show the improved confidence we saw in the open practice, including some nifty handle bringing the ball up the court. They should hit a little better from beyond the arc than they did today too. My only disappointment was with a little of GDiaz’s work on defense down low, as UPJ bested him with some pivots in the paint.

** Fede showed up fine, and looks and feels a little stronger. But he didn’t show anything that would indicate any kind of an offensive step forward.

** It’s safe to guess that GDiaz and Fede will share the minutes at the five. But what remains to be seen is who will end up with more minutes between Will and JDiaz behind Blake and Zach.

** What we know for sure is that Blake will play something like 34 minutes or more in games that matter. He wasn’t quite the shooter tonight we’ve grown accustomed to seeing. But he did other things well, including some good defensive switching. There’s no reason to fear he’s not our huge horse.

** And really, there’s no reason not to hope this can be an NCAA team again this year. Much like last year, there appears again to be a nice togetherness among the guys, which it feels like is somehow spurred on by the Twins.

I find the Bub/Ish stuff interesting. Ish must be showing you a lot to be so much in his corner and not there with Bub yet. They will be 2 and 3 in scoring behind Blake, but not sure which one will end up being 2. It may be Ish, but if they are that close, and it is my guess that they are, you better get on the Bub train, as Joe would say!

I find the Bub/Ish stuff interesting. Ish must be showing you a lot to be so much in his corner and not there with Bub yet. They will be 2 and 3 in scoring behind Blake, but not sure which one will end up being 2. It may be Ish, but if they are that close, and it is my guess that they are, you better get on the Bub train, as Joe would say!
Well … I did call Bub our player of the game so there’s that. And I would agree that Ish and Bub should end up 2-3 in scoring behind Blake, and I’m not sure who is 2-3 either. Otherwise, I guess I’m just not yet ready to call Bub a legit ACC Rookie of the Year contender after just a really nice performance against UPJ.

Reactions: SteelBowl70
Well … I did call Bub our player of the game so there’s that. And I would agree that Ish and Bub should end up 2-3 in scoring behind Blake, and I’m not sure who is 2-3 either. Otherwise, I guess I’m just not yet ready to call Bub a legit ACC Rookie of the Year contender after just a really nice performance against UPJ.
Always measured DT. Like the consistency.

Reactions: jctrack
A few things.

Well Heuitt isn't going to play in games that matter, and if he does it's not going to be for long. I wouldn't worry about that.

Agree on Bub and Ish. Bub is so smooth. He had a couple of plays that will not work in the ACC where he dribbled all with his right. Another time he threw a lob to Fede that was only possible because of the competition.

I actually thought UPJ looked pretty decent for a D2 team. They were well coached, and they didn't really turn the ball over. It was just hard for them to get shots inside the 3 point line as it should be.

I'm hoping Zack Austin can contribute. His shot is UGLY. He made them before so I assume he will make some this year. We are obviously replacing a lot of scoring from last year. Austin needs to give us about 8 a game.

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
Well Heuitt isn't going to play in games that matter, and if he does it's not going to be for long. I wouldn't worry about that.

Agree on Bub and Ish. Bub is so smooth. He had a couple of plays that will not work in the ACC where he dribbled all with his right. Another time he threw a lob to Fede that was only possible because of the competition.

I actually thought UPJ looked pretty decent for a D2 team. They were well coached, and they didn't really turn the ball over. It was just hard for them to get shots inside the 3 point line as it should be.

I'm hoping Zack Austin can contribute. His shot is UGLY. He made them before so I assume he will make some this year. We are obviously replacing a lot of scoring from last year. Austin needs to give us about 8 a game.
To the UPJ point, Capel said after the game that he was thankful that they picked UPJ for this, because they run some different schematic stuff that Pitt doesn’t do, and that they didn’t see in Spain or against Georgetown, but they might see at some point down the road this season.

Austin v Jeffers v Lowe is going to be interesting.

Their “best” lineup might very well be Bub, Lowe, Leggett, Hinson, Fede/GDG.

I know it’s a small lineup, but that lineup is elite offensively.

Austin, ideally, just needs to make like 33% of his wide open 3’s. Rebound. Play D.

The issue is Jeffers almost certainly rebounds and defends better than Austin, but he’d shoot like 25% from 3. And has very little offensive game otherwise, his points are going to be hustle points. Garbage points.

We know Bub, Leggett, Hinson are going to play 32-34 mpg in big games. The rest of the rotation is pretty interesting though.

And, I think you might even be able to play some Hinson/Jorge lineups at the 3/4 as well. Lot of options.

Austin, ideally, just needs to make like 33% of his wide open 3’s. Rebound. Play D.

The issue is Jeffers almost certainly rebounds and defends better than Austin, but he’d shoot like 25% from 3. And has very little offensive game otherwise, his points are going to be hustle points. Garbage points.

We know Bub, Leggett, Hinson are going to play 32-34 mpg in big games. The rest of the rotation is pretty interesting though.

And, I think you might even be able to play some Hinson/Jorge lineups at the 3/4 as well. Lot of options.
I find that "best lineup" to be very interesting. And it's not even that small as Bub and Ish are a touch taller. It's actually bigger than last year's starting lineup.

Otherwise, I think I might even be OK with Will shooting 25% from three, but he needs to prove he's even able to get that high.

With regards to Wil , it’s nice to have everyone being an offensive force , but you always need a guy who does whatever it takes to win . Setting picks , getting the tough rebound , being in the right spot on D , passing up a shot to give a teammate an easy bucket all help you win close games .

If you’re counting on Wil to bury that crucial three at crunch time it’s going to be a long season ……that’s what Hinson is for .

Last edited:
Does Bub's game remind you of anyone?

I love your enthusiasm Whirly!!!! You got me excited about Bub and the team.

Reactions: whirlybird optio
I find that "best lineup" to be very interesting. And it's not even that small as Bub and Ish are a touch taller. It's actually bigger than last year's starting lineup.

Otherwise, I think I might even be OK with Will shooting 25% from three, but he needs to prove he's even able to get that high.
I think I probably meant “slight” not small.

Will looks better to me. He’s somehow even more physical, more active. He’s an interesting guy to play with elite offensive talent like Blake, Bub, and Leggett. In a weird way he might even fit better on the top 5, and have Austin maybe be more of an aggressive scorer on the 2nd unit. I dunno.

When you're shooting 3's at 25% you shouldn't be shooting them. Last
year we had two players who shot less than 30%.....G Diaz 25%, and that "in
practice deadeye," Nate Santos at 15%. He had great form, looked good, but
couldn't put the ball in the ocean in REAL time. I cringed every time he loaded
up a 3. G Diaz at 25% isn't great, but an occasional 3 attempt when he pulls out
the other team's big is ok IMO.

As I see Jeffers, he should be shooting 10 footers and closer J's, lay ups, and put
backs. I like what Capel said about his D and rebounding off the bench. By the
way, Will's career shooting stats......27% Fg's, 19% 3's. That's not just bad, it's
awful.

So how was Hueitt in comparison to say a Greg Elliott. It sounds like he won’t play much, but it can also be hard to ignore 3/6-7 from 3’s. Were they catch and shoot like Elliot or did he actually make some moves and then drain them. It’s one game, but there could be a need for those buckets.

So how was Hueitt in comparison to say a Greg Elliott. It sounds like he won’t play much, but it can also be hard to ignore 3/6-7 from 3’s. Were they catch and shoot like Elliot or did he actually make some moves and then drain them. It’s one game, but there could be a need for those buckets.
They were all catch and shoot open looks. I don't think he could consistently expect to get open looks against ACC competition. He's listed at 6'3, but he "looked" smaller out there. He towered over KJ Marshall who is listed at 5'10. @DT_PITT might be able to help on the heights.

Catch and shoot. His form is horrendous, but they went in at a good clip.

Doing this before reading any to see how they matchup.

UPJ - not good. Vinnie had 2 points and played a lot. Did look like he could play at the D2 level. Doesn't appear to be a good shooter and had a funky looking shot but is sneaky athletic. I could see him transferring up to like the NEC as a senior. You could see potential there.

UPJ only had 1 black player on the roster and he didn't play due to injury. NA kid.

Didnt really learn anything new about this team.

- GDG - may overtake Fede. Could have a breakout. Is bigger and more "bouncy."

- FR guards - very good for being frosh. How will they hold up into Feb/Mar remains to be seen. These are all-leagueish guards if they stayed 4 years like the Dixon days but they wont.

- Jeffress - got 2 loose ball rebounds right after checking in but still doesnt appear to be able to do anything offensively. Has to be the junk guy. Get some rebounds, play D, etc.

- Ish - good player but not Burton

- Hueitt - didnt get in until mid 2nd Half. Missed 1st 3 then made 3 in a row and missed his last. Seems like the 3 is his whole game. Doesn't appear to be athletic and seems to have a limp like Ucheboe. Hasnt he had injuries?

- Barnes - got in at the end. Will probably RS or not play much

As I have said, this team is definitely good enough to make the NCAAT....but probably another bubble year. Will come down to a few plays here and there in some close games.

You apparently weren't impressed with UPJ. Ok, it was an exhibition and a lot of teams
are playing D 11 teams in exhibition. I watched a lot of the Syracuse exhibition on the
tube tonight and wasn't impressed with their 25 pt win against D11 St. Rose. Say again,
St. Rose?....LOL. I'm happy with what I'm hearing about us from you guys who saw
us tonight. Thanks.

You know that St. Rose plays the same level of NCAA basketball that UPJ does, right?

He actually tied for the most shot attempts today with 9, a tad surprising he led the team with this many.

And that's what I'm talking about. Lowe played 16 minutes and took 9 shots. Hueitt played 11 minutes and took 7 shots. That is a lot of shots in not a lot of playing time.

They played last night as if it is there job to get off as many shots as they can. And that surely isn't their role now, and likely won't be in the future (although maybe Lowe could get to that point).

You know that St. Rose plays the same level of NCAA basketball that UPJ does, right?
I didn't when I put their game against Syracuse on the tube, so
I looked it up and saw it...yes. Both Div11. You saw UPJ, I didn't,
but somehow I feel UPJ is better than St. Rose. What do you think,
UPJ better of the two? Anyway the point I was also making was that
Syracuse didn't really impress me. They beat St Rose by 25. This is not
Syracuse of old with top talent. It also didn't look anything like what
we're used to with Boheim at the helm. My sense, without yet seeing
Pitt, is that we're better. We'll see soon enough.

I have no real idea which of the two is better, because I didn't see St. Rose. My guess is that UPJ is a little better, but that would be nothing more than a guess.

Did they even play 2-3 zone?

I have no real idea which of the two is better, because I didn't see St. Rose. My guess is that UPJ is a little better, but that would be nothing more than a guess.
Yeah, for some reason I feel UPJ is better. Also, I mentioned in above post
that Syracuse didn't impress me while I watched their exhibition game. I
forgot to mention they had three players sitting out...injuries and a player
suspension.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Did they even play 2-3 zone?
I didn't watch the entire game. What I did see was no zone, just
a straight up man to man. It clearly was not what we're used to
seeing when Boheim was there. Also, three players sat out due
to a suspension and injuries.

I didn't watch the entire game. What I did see was no zone, just
a straight up man to man. It clearly was not what we're used to
seeing when Boheim was there. Also, three players sat out due
to a suspension and injuries.
I've been watching Cuse play only zone since the early 80's. It will be weird watching the Orange playing man.

Reactions: Chescat
Uh, yeah. Adou. Now 6’8” and playing some guard. Lol. Will start for Cal.
I was thinking more along the lines of the Harrison Twins, but Bub isn't quite that tall. They were more like 6-6 In think.

Uh, yeah. Adou. Now 6’8” and playing some guard. Lol. Will start for Cal.

He isnt a guard but yes, would be a nice PSAC player. I watched UK up close vs K St after Pitt/Xavier and my first thoughts on seeing UK was damn, they LOOK good. All-airport team as Dickie V says. After the 1st 5 minutes, I didn't think K St belonged on the same court. The UK guards looked so good and athletic but then it became apparent they werent very good at basketball. I dont mean to compare that aspect to Carrington. Bub just has that UK guard look to him. Honestly, I cant remember another Pitt guard we've ever had who looks like him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT