ADVERTISEMENT

US World Cup Schedule

Dointhatrag

Sophomore
Sep 3, 2017
Game one is a must win to reduce pressure. I like the schedule overall putting wales/england last.

Friday after Thanksgiving at2PM vs England. Schedule was considerate of US timezone with all 2PM games

Nov. 21

England vs. Iran, 8 a.m.

U.S. vs. Wales, 2 p.m.

Nov. 25

Wales vs. Iran, 5 a.m.

England vs. U.S., 2 p.m.

Nov. 29

Wales vs. England, 2 p.m.

Iran vs. U.S., 2 p.m.

Reactions: hoclaw and Fk_Pitt
Game one is a must win to reduce pressure. I like the schedule overall putting wales/england last.

Friday after Thanksgiving at2PM vs England. Schedule was considerate of US timezone with all 2PM games

Nov. 21

England vs. Iran, 8 a.m.

U.S. vs. Wales, 2 p.m.

Nov. 25

Wales vs. Iran, 5 a.m.

England vs. U.S., 2 p.m.

Nov. 29

Wales vs. England, 2 p.m.

Iran vs. U.S., 2 p.m.
If USA/Wales produces a winner, that team will go through. It will almost have the feel of a knockout game. Though ai can see both teams playing cagey and it ending 0-0.

USA should be embarrased if they don't get though. This is a weak draw.

USA should be embarrased if they don't get though. This is a weak draw.
I don’t think it’s a weak draw at all. There’s not a weak team. Some might categorize Iran and Wales as mediocre but they’re not weak. If the US doesn’t get through it will be disappointing but I won’t say embarrassing.

I’ll say this. You can look at these last two matches as typical of what you’d see in the World Cup. We beat what would be considered the 4th best team in the group. And we tied what would be the #2 or #3 team in the group. So in a hypothetical World Cup group we’d be sitting at 4 points with the top team in the group still looming. I think I’d be happy with 4pts against Iran and Wales with a +3 goal diff.

Schedule was considerate of US timezone with all 2PM games

They actually took into consideration which countries were playing in the games when they set the game times this year, to try to get teams playing in the time slots that make the most sense in their local time, as opposed to the past when the game times were slotted before the draw. So, for instance, Mexico also got three late games. Brazil got two late games and one third game. Argentina got two late games (although they also got stuck with the early game when they play Saudi Arabia). And on the opposite end of the spectrum, South Korea got two first games and a second. Japan got a first and a second, although they got a late game for their third game when they are playing the simultaneous games.

It's not perfect, but it probably can't be. But it is certainly better.

Sadly for the US, if they aren’t on their game, they might finish last in this group. I expect England to find their game, and Iran isn’t an easy matchup.

I don’t think it’s a weak draw at all. There’s not a weak team. Some might categorize Iran and Wales as mediocre but they’re not weak. If the US doesn’t get through it will be disappointing but I won’t say embarrassing.

I’ll say this. You can look at these last two matches as typical of what you’d see in the World Cup. We beat what would be considered the 4th best team in the group. And we tied what would be the #2 or #3 team in the group. So in a hypothetical World Cup group we’d be sitting at 4 points with the top team in the group still looming. I think I’d be happy with 4pts against Iran and Wales with a +3 goal diff.
Iran sucks, dude. Could we lose to them? I mean its soccer, so sure. But they aren't as good as a USA B team. If that sounds crazy to you, the USA B team won the Gold Cup last summer, defeating the ASIAN Champs, Qatar in the semis.

Here are the leagues the Iranian players are in:

Bundesliga: 1 their best player but barely plays for Leverkusen. Was a very good player in the Russian League which is similar to MLS.

Portguese league: 3, decent league but only one plays for a top team (Porto)

Belgian League: 1

Greek League: 1

Danish League: 1

Dutch League: 1

Championship: 1 (but only played 12 games there on loan)

Spanish 2nd Division: 1

Croatian League: 1

The rest either play in Iran, Qatar, or the UAE.

If this team cant beat Iran, forget it. I don't they would qualify out of CONCACAF.

Iran sucks, dude. Could we lose to them? I mean its soccer, so sure. But they aren't as good as a USA B team. If that sounds crazy to you, the USA B team won the Gold Cup last summer, defeating the ASIAN Champs, Qatar in the semis.

Bundesliga: 1 their best player but barely plays for Leverkusen. Was a very good player in the Russian League which is similar to MLS.

If this team cant beat Iran, forget it. I don't they would qualify out of CONCACAF.
It’s not the talent, it’s how they play. Will we beat them? Probably. Will they make things difficult for us? They can. It’s soccer and you should know that a team that is known for playing their system and experienced in doing so can beat anyone. They’re better than most teams we play in Concacaf and we know how we have to scratch and claw for wins vs them.

It’s not the talent, it’s how they play. Will we beat them? Probably. Will they make things difficult for us? They can. It’s soccer and you should know that a team that is known for playing their system and experienced in doing so can beat anyone. They’re better than most teams we play in Concacaf and we know how we have to scratch and claw for wins vs them.
I would compare them to Costa Rica so yea they could beat us but its because we play down to our level.

I would compare them to Costa Rica so yea they could beat us but its because we play down to our level.
I mean, I think the overall point is this. Is it a group of death? No way. But we are the US and every game will be tough and no country is a cakewalk. If we want to advance, we need 3pts from Iran. We should get them but you never know. Noel’s point above is well taken, except I wouldn’t use the word embarrassing. Wales did us a favor eliminating Ukraine. They took out the better team. So we are fortunate to have Wales and every pundit has said that. We all want 6pts vs Iran and Wales and perhaps that’s to be expected, but easier said than done because either team can beat us.

You're obsessed with this idea that it's only pure talent from the highest level that can win. In soccer especilly strict discipline and adherence to a system can beat better talent, think Greece Euro Cup 2004.

I feel alot better playing Wales than Ukraine. Not only is Ukraine talented, you'd be the undoubtedly underdog. Every neutral in the building would be in blue n gold and that can be a mind phuck.

Ukraine was undeniably the better team Sunday, but for an own goal and a superb performance by Wayne Hennessy they'd be onto Qatar.

I feel alot better playing Wales than Ukraine. Not only is Ukraine talented, you'd be the undoubtedly underdog. Every neutral in the building would be in blue n gold and that can be a mind phuck.

Ukraine was undeniably the better team Sunday, but for an own goal and a superb performance by Wayne Hennessy they'd be onto Qatar.
Not only that but as Mike said, Ukraine was unlucky not getting that obvious penalty and having a goal waved off that rarely ever does. You’d think that if anyone would get the calls, it would be Ukraine in this cycle. But as it was, it just showed Soccer is a cruel game.

and the goal wales scored was a fluke.

I hate CONCACAF.
Why? This goes against your usual mentality, like when you where saying teams should cancel baseball games against low rated teams to keep their RPI up. You should root for CONCACAF because a better CONCACAF makes the USA look better, and since FIFA would never do anything STUPID AND RIDICULOUS like letting the USA move to UEFA, USA is in CONCACAF for the long hall.

Why? This goes against your usual mentality, like when you where saying teams should cancel baseball games against low rated teams to keep their RPI up. You should root for CONCACAF because a better CONCACAF makes the USA look better, and since FIFA would never do anything STUPID AND RIDICULOUS like letting the USA move to UEFA, USA is in CONCACAF for the long hall.
What? You wouldn't love traveling to Baku and Chisinau for a World Cup qualifier???

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79 and Fk_Pitt
Just think, we'd be gearing up for the World Cup if it were in a real host country.

Just think, we'd be gearing up for the World Cup if it were in a real host country.
You know, the Iran match will be interesting as it will be played 3 hours away from Iran. But…oddly US fans travel better than anyone to world cups.

Current ELO rankings of the teams in the US's group:

England: 7
Wales: 18
United States: t20
Iran: 23

So yeah, obviously the US should absolutely trounce Iran, who is clearly no better than Costa Rica (39th) or other similar CONCACAF teams.

In their last 13 games Iran has given up a total of four goals and has 10 shutouts. Given the US's problems at the nine, don't be surprised if the US has a lot of trouble scoring against them.

Current ELO rankings of the teams in the US's group:

England: 7
Wales: 18
United States: t20
Iran: 23

So yeah, obviously the US should absolutely trounce Iran, who is clearly no better than Costa Rica (39th) or other similar CONCACAF teams.

In their last 13 games Iran has given up a total of four goals and has 10 shutouts. Given the US's problems at the nine, don't be surprised if the US has a lot of trouble scoring against them.
Over/Under how many goals the US scores in this group. 3?

Over/Under how many goals the US scores in this group. 3?
Against Iran, we will score 3 goals alone. Just ask SMF. Personally I’m just glad it’s Iran and not a team from Africa or Sourh America.

If the USA could get into UEFA, it should and would go.
No. I personally enjoy knowing that with the exception of incompetence on the rare occasion, I'll be watching the U.S. in the World Cup every 4 years. Go to UEFA and that isn't even remotely close to a guarantee.

Stop with this nonsense. It makes ZERO sense.

Reactions: Pitt79
Against Iran, we will score 3 goals alone. Just ask SMF. Personally I’m just glad it’s Iran and not a team from Africa or Sourh America.
I don't know why, but I'm not very bullish right now on them getting out of the group stage. I think they lose to England. Two ties against Iran and Wales are very possible.

If they bow out in the first round...shitcan Derphalter. I mean he should be gone regardless of what they do in my opinion.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I don't know why, but I'm not very bullish right now on them getting out of the group stage. I think they lose to England. Two ties against Iran and Wales are very possible.

If they bow out in the first round...shitcan Derphalter. I mean he should be gone regardless of what they do in my opinion.
It’s why I’m a little nervous that we came away with 4 pts against our last two opponents. I’d have rather got those pts and +3 GD In Qatar.

No. I personally enjoy knowing that with the exception of incompetence on the rare occasion, I'll be watching the U.S. in the World Cup every 4 years. Go to UEFA and that isn't even remotely close to a guarantee.

Stop with this nonsense. It makes ZERO sense.
Its not all about the World Cup. US Soccer cant be an every 4 year thing. In UEFA, MLS becomes a Top 3-5 league and world stars will play here in their prime. Man City and PSG may come to your area for a CL match. The US will play in the Euros every 2 years, which is a big deal. And the money UEFA would bring would allow the youth clubs to not charge at age 7, 8, 9 so the best players wont be scared away by the high price tag.

Gratuitous attempt to keep this thread going…I think our two biggest concerns are goalkeeping and fitness

If Matt Turner were to somehow go out on loan and play somewhere decent, that solves the GK issue for me. However I think Steffen will go out on loan for sure and he will be our GK. That’s simply a prediction with no info that I’ve heard either way. I’m not crazy about him.

as far as fitness, this is not a tough group if we are keeping it real. We can finish 2nd or 3rd as I see it, and in soccer you just never know how things will shake out. But if we are healthy and fit, I really like our chances. I think we can give England a tough go as well. If Reyna, McKennie, Pulisic, Aaronson, Adams and Dest are in form and fit, they can play with anyone outside of about 5-6 countries.

Sure beats Central America
I'd rather have it in Central America, at least the time zones are the same as USA, Actually I wish the WC was in Central America, instead of Qatar, because actually, the WC would be starting in a few weeks if it was in a more normal place than Qatar, where some oil rich dictators bought it, built the venues with slave labor, so we have it in the winter. If you remember, in their bid they claimed they had some technology to play the games outdoors and keep the players cool, that's as much of BS as the USA joining UEFA :)

Yup, they're just one of those Muslim System teams with no stars that are boring, so maybe even 5-0 or 6-0.

Its not all about the World Cup. US Soccer cant be an every 4 year thing. In UEFA, MLS becomes a Top 3-5 league and world stars will play here in their prime. Man City and PSG may come to your area for a CL match. The US will play in the Euros every 2 years, which is a big deal. And the money UEFA would bring would allow the youth clubs to not charge at age 7, 8, 9 so the best players wont be scared away by the high price tag.
But UEFA means, Union of European Football Associations , and the USA is not in Europe, and I HATE modern artificial BS done for some made for TV style reasons, like making MLS better, or making more money for US Soccer. thank God it will NEVER happen. It's like when TCU was going to join the Big EAST. And how are you sure it's the BEST players that are scared away from youth soccer by the price of club teams? A lot of rich white kids are better soccer players than poor black kids, if that's what you're insinuating. And MLS might not even be better? All the Euro leagues aren't great just because they are in UEFA.

Gratuitous attempt to keep this thread going…I think our two biggest concerns are goalkeeping and fitness

If Matt Turner were to somehow go out on loan and play somewhere decent, that solves the GK issue for me. However I think Steffen will go out on loan for sure and he will be our GK. That’s simply a prediction with no info that I’ve heard either way. I’m not crazy about him.

as far as fitness, this is not a tough group if we are keeping it real. We can finish 2nd or 3rd as I see it, and in soccer you just never know how things will shake out. But if we are healthy and fit, I really like our chances. I think we can give England a tough go as well. If Reyna, McKennie, Pulisic, Aaronson, Adams and Dest are in form and fit, they can play with anyone outside of about 5-6 countries.
Wales and Iran can beat us but when was the last time we were favored in 2 group stage games? Its like having Canada and Costa Rica in our group and those teams are probably better than Wales and Iran. It doesn't mean we will beat them but we are better. I loved the draw when it came out and still love it. I even wanted England over most of the other Tier 1 teams. I can see England being a 1-1 draw

Wales and Iran can beat us but when was the last time we were favored in 2 group stage games? Its like having Canada and Costa Rica in our group and those teams are probably better than Wales and Iran. It doesn't mean we will beat them but we are better. I loved the draw when it came out and still love it. I even wanted England over most of the other Tier 1 teams. I can see England being a 1-1 draw
I think we mostly agree here. I just don’t want to minimize Iran. They could be dangerous. And you’re right, while England is a top 5-6 in the world right now, they’re the team I’d most want to play if I had to choose between them and Brazil, Argentina, and France. If we get through, I’d be ok with Belgium, Spain, Germany, Netherlands in the knockouts rounds.

I think we mostly agree here. I just don’t want to minimize Iran. They could be dangerous. And you’re right, while England is a top 5-6 in the world right now, they’re the team I’d most want to play if I had to choose between them and Brazil, Argentina, and France. If we get through, I’d be ok with Belgium, Spain, Germany, Netherlands in the knockouts rounds.
Beating Netherlands in the Round of 16 is doable. And if we somehow win the group, we get Qatar, Ecuador, or Senegal in the R16 and would be favored.

If we can beat Wales in the 1st game, manage a draw vs England and then beat Iran, we could win the group possibly on goal differential or if England draws Wales or Iran.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT