ADVERTISEMENT

USA WC Group

Pitt79

Board of Trustee
Oct 3, 2005

The Stars and Stripes were placed in Group B Friday, lining them up for games against:

• England (FIFA world ranking: fifth)
  • Iran (21st)
  • the winner of an international playoff between Wales (18th), Scotland (39th), or Ukraine (27th)
This is not bad, and I have an easy time hating England, I'd even root for Iran over England :)

Other than England, those aren't really powerhouse teams that I'd expect to lose to every time.

It’s our chance at a 1998 re-do with England and Iran in our group.

Imagine the emotion if Ukraine qualifies and we have to face them in our first match.

Reactions: zookeeper2000
England might be tough depending on which England team shows up. Don’t sleep on Iran…playing close to home…but yes, we came out pretty fortunately it appears.

England might be tough depending on which England team shows up. Don’t sleep on Iran…playing close to home…but yes, we came out pretty fortunately it appears.
England might be tough? Well, I’m not going to count the US out, but an argument could be made that they’re the best team in the world right now. They’re loaded. looking at it on a micro level, CP10 will be matched up against maybe the best young right back in the world, his teammate from Chelsea, Reece James. On the other side, I will enjoy watching Walker Zimmerman match up against Harry Kane. The midfield matchups will be tasty. Weston and Tyler Adams can match up well. If we decide to sit and counter, do we start a LDLT or Acosta? I’d probably play Reyna, Pulisic and weah across the front to give the ability to counter attack with pace. Then bring Aaronson off the bench for energy.

Other than England, those aren't really powerhouse teams that I'd expect to lose to every time.
I think all 4 are good teams and all will be capable of coming out of the group. Wales might be the most likely to be that 4th team. But I like it because it’s a group that can prepare us for the knockout stage if we survive group play.

I think all 4 are good teams and all will be capable of coming out of the group. Wales might be the most likely to be that 4th team. But I like it because it’s a group that can prepare us for the knockout stage if we survive group play.
Good teams, yes, but not like "No way we can beat them" teams, is what I mean.

Damn. All I see is my all time favorite player photo bombing two guys who couldn’t hold his jock strap.

Good teams, yes, but not like "No way we can beat them" teams, is what I mean.

Are there actually any teams right now that are "no way we can beat them" teams for the US if they play a good game?

I mean if the team that lost in extra time in the semis of the last World Cup and lost in the finals of the last Euros on penalties is a team that we can beat, then who can't we beat?

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
On the bright side (I'm Mr. Brightside) if the USA would somehow win the group, they would get the runner up of Group A, which would either be Ecuador or Senegal.

On the bright side (I'm Mr. Brightside) if the USA would somehow win the group, they would get the runner up of Group A, which would either be Ecuador or Senegal.
And Senegal has Sadio Mane and arguably the best keeper in the tourney. Nothing will be easy.

Are there actually any teams right now that are "no way we can beat them" teams for the US if they play a good game?

I mean if the team that lost in extra time in the semis of the last World Cup and lost in the finals of the last Euros on penalties is a team that we can beat, then who can't we beat?
I can’t believe people, knowledgeable people, who are disrespecting England. This is their golden generation too, and their golden generation is about 5x deeper than ours. I still think France is the best team on the planet, but a case for England can be made too.

if this were college football, it would be Georgia vs Pitt.

That's about as good of a matchup in the Round of 16 as you can hope for. Even if they finish 2nd and play Netherlands, that would be the 1 or 2 "top teams" I'd pick to have to play. Basically, the US has a very reasonable path to the Quarterfinal. I'm not predicting that but its a doable. A Group of Death then Brazil or France in the Round of 16 and forget about it.

I can’t believe people, knowledgeable people, who are disrespecting England. This is their golden generation too, and their golden generation is about 5x deeper than ours. I still think France is the best team on the planet, but a case for England can be made too.

In the odds from shortly after the draw, England has the best odds to win their group of any team in the tournament. Better than France, better than the Netherlands, Argentina, Brazil, all of them. They were also tied as the second favorite in the tournament, behind only Brazil and tied with France.

The US can beat them, but it would be a big upset.

In the odds from shortly after the draw, England has the best odds to win their group of any team in the tournament. Better than France, better than the Netherlands, Argentina, Brazil, all of them. They were also tied as the second favorite in the tournament, behind only Brazil and tied with France.

The US can beat them, but it would be a big upset.
That's fine but I wasn't impressed with them at the Euros. Yea, they drew Italy in the Final at home. They also drew Scotland at home. They are better but they arent insurmountable.

That's fine but I wasn't impressed with them at the Euros. Yea, they drew Italy in the Final at home. They also drew Scotland at home. They are better but they arent insurmountable.
Yeah playing at home in Euros is a big deal. They really should have gone as far as they did.

but this England team has superstars at almost every position. It’s one thing to have a few stars, like the England team we tied in 2010. But this team is so much better than that one. That team then had Frank Lampard, Wayne Rooney, Steve Gerard, Ashley Cole, and John Terry. That’s elite talent and some of the best who ever played the game. But they didn’t have superstars 1-11 on the field. But this current England team is loaded at every position and goes deep at every position. I’ve never been a big fan of England’s center half’s, but other than that I’d be salivating if our roster looked like theirs. If we can somehow hold on for a draw, I’d be thrilled.

Yeah playing at home in Euros is a big deal. They really should have gone as far as they did.

but this England team has superstars at almost every position. It’s one thing to have a few stars, like the England team we tied in 2010. But this team is so much better than that one. That team then had Frank Lampard, Wayne Rooney, Steve Gerard, Ashley Cole, and John Terry. That’s elite talent and some of the best who ever played the game. But they didn’t have superstars 1-11 on the field. But this current England team is loaded at every position and goes deep at every position. I’ve never been a big fan of England’s center half’s, but other than that I’d be salivating if our roster looked like theirs. If we can somehow hold on for a draw, I’d be thrilled.
Let’s hope they get drunk and bang each other’s wives.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan

I wouldn't bet on beating Spain, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, France and probably not England, out of those teams, I think the least of England personally

This the difference in talent in this US team and 2010 is greater than the difference between England 2010 and 2022. This England squad plays better as a team but lets see how they do when they arent playing at Wembley. Obviously, I would pick England but I'd rather face them than the others.

The only question mark Southgate has is between the sticks and 2 men in front. That is a position they don't have elite talent. They have solid talent but not elite. Pickford is up and down. Pope is young and emerging. Aaron Ramsdale has been nice and Dean Henderson has really dropped off since his magical season with Sheffield 2 seasons ago.

Harry Maguire stinks, stinks, stinks. Stones is solid but not elite. They do have some very talented RB & LB's.

Their firepower up top is deeeeeeeeeep and a talented, that and the midfield is where England can and should dominate their way deep into the tourney.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT